Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!
RF this is a really stupid question and I'm sorry I am asking it but how are you starting a new day? I can see the error in the site logs but I genuinely can't find anywhere that that specific function is being called on the site front-end, which is confusing me a whole lot.

edit: never mind, I figured out that bit. For now can you use start a new day from the moderator panel and I'll work on this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Wait there’s another way to start a new day than besides from the moderator panel?

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Wait there’s another way to start a new day than besides from the moderator panel?

Yeah, you can go to the posts and each post has a dropdown where you can say "this post starts (the current / the next) day". :)

Anyway, I ... think it's fixed. It was a really weird issue and I'm still wrapping my brain around it. But it worked on beta so I am pushing it to live. RF if you can double check it when you get a moment - that'd be great!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

alli again posted:

Yeah, you can go to the posts and each post has a dropdown where you can say "this post starts (the current / the next) day". :)

Anyway, I ... think it's fixed. It was a really weird issue and I'm still wrapping my brain around it. But it worked on beta so I am pushing it to live. RF if you can double check it when you get a moment - that'd be great!

This is what I use for midday executions in the case of lurker/lights out executions, it's a good feature so you can finetune exactly which post to start counting from for the new "day." Thanks for the fix, Alli!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

alli again posted:

I did both ways last night and got the error either way, but whatever happened it's working today hooray

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I like amber on black screens

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Toalpaz posted:

I like amber on black screens

this is my tao (jones)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwolf posted:

this is my tao (jones)

this is loving hilarious

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
The one game I've played where the jester was good was a WWI mafia game where the jester was franz ferdinand and he got executed D1.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My friend told me a variant of Mafia play he uses for live games that I found interesting: the ghost council.

After people are removed from the game, they join the ghost council. Every night phase, the mod rolls a d20. If it's above the DC for that night, the Ghost Council gets to perform a NK as well. Otherwise, play proceeds as normal. The DC starts really high as the game begins and slowly drops as the game progresses, so that as the game goes on the Ghost Council has a higher likelihood of contributing.

What do y'all think? I know sometimes we have games where the deaddoc doesn't have spoilers, and I think maybe this could be a fun way to stay engaged and still impact & argue afterwards. My thoughts on it are:

-more than once or twice with this is probably two powerful
-what do the scum do? Continue to influence & obfuscate, or are they just in the spoiler room instead?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Run it!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I'm willing to give it a shot if someone who has Discord experience can help me co-mod it!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pod probably will but I won’t volunteer him fully

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can help if pod can't

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Maybe after two NKs you dismiss the Ghost Council?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Maybe after two NKs you dismiss the Ghost Council?

Two NKs from them, or two NKs after their formation?

I think a lot of this would depend on the size of the game too!

I'm working on flavor right now but feel free to keep spitballing stuff for this, and thanks to Icy & the people who have volunteered Podima :v:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

2 NKs from the GC - a bad council could be just as bad as another scumteam

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

I'm willing to give it a shot if someone who has Discord experience can help me co-mod it!

Happy to help set up Discord stuff, hit me up on there when you're ready!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As long as it is outlined clearly before that said ghost council is in play then it sounds like fun.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

woah

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
why don't you guys run a mafia game in the rotating subforum thing. semi-regular, topical, would imagine it wouldn't be a problem with mods?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

busb posted:

why don't you guys run a mafia game in the rotating subforum thing. semi-regular, topical, would imagine it wouldn't be a problem with mods?

this idea slaps tbh

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
re jester talk:

i agree w the prevailing opinion that jester is a bad role that's not just bad for one player but messes with entire games at worst. i tried playing with the idea in "passive mafia" to middling success i think. i love the concept of reworking "dead" roles into viable ones. sort of like what some moba games do with characters that have fallen out of meta viability. jester definitely needs a major reworking, which is why im so interested in it.

the integral aspect of the role, to me, is that the player has a motivation to be lunched. in that sense a "bomb" or similar can already be seen as a reworking of jester. except i think jester needs that motivation to be less optional to truly qualify. they need to lose if they are nightkilled or survive the game, or at the very least, experience some detriment to their win condition by surviving

can we design a good role that stays true to that concept? it's a REALLY challenging thought experiment, to be sure.

for one, it can never be scum-aligned. making scum's biggest fear (the lunch) into a positive would be way too broken.

here's a rough idea for a concept for a town-aligned jester, which *doesn't* remain in the game after death like my "superghost" idea. to get our creative juices flowing. let me know what you think.

"As long as you are alive, majority is always reduced by one.
If you are executed during the day, you may choose to gift powers to any living player, according to which day you were executed on.
D1: nothing"
(then a list of increasingly good powers or combinations of powers)

i think it can be balanced to be a perfect risk/reward between trying to avoid an early lylo and reaching a really good slot to gift

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe make it so that after the 2nd/3rd night or so should the town lunch the jester then that night no nk can happen. To balance it out maybe make it a roll that no one can claim without losing its power and someone discovering it adds a day to the timer before said effect can come into play.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

busb posted:

why don't you join my mafia game

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

re jester talk:

i agree w the prevailing opinion that jester is a bad role that's not just bad for one player but messes with entire games at worst. i tried playing with the idea in "passive mafia" to middling success i think. i love the concept of reworking "dead" roles into viable ones. sort of like what some moba games do with characters that have fallen out of meta viability. jester definitely needs a major reworking, which is why im so interested in it.

the integral aspect of the role, to me, is that the player has a motivation to be lunched. in that sense a "bomb" or similar can already be seen as a reworking of jester. except i think jester needs that motivation to be less optional to truly qualify. they need to lose if they are nightkilled or survive the game, or at the very least, experience some detriment to their win condition by surviving

can we design a good role that stays true to that concept? it's a REALLY challenging thought experiment, to be sure.

for one, it can never be scum-aligned. making scum's biggest fear (the lunch) into a positive would be way too broken.

here's a rough idea for a concept for a town-aligned jester, which *doesn't* remain in the game after death like my "superghost" idea. to get our creative juices flowing. let me know what you think.

"As long as you are alive, majority is always reduced by one.
If you are executed during the day, you may choose to gift powers to any living player, according to which day you were executed on.
D1: nothing"
(then a list of increasingly good powers or combinations of powers)

i think it can be balanced to be a perfect risk/reward between trying to avoid an early lylo and reaching a really good slot to gift

I hate jesters and executionsers and didn't read this

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
man I had so much fun playing jester, it’s the greatest role

house rules are something like no claiming, no faking actions, there were others I forgot

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

So what's the current etiquette for putting up games? Is there like a queue or something?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Post em if you got em

especially if it's an NYC

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Post em if you got em

especially if it's an NYC

I'm waaaay to rusty at mafia design to roll right into an NYC, but a NYC 2083 does sound like it could be pretty amazing.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

But first, join game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906515&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Alternatively I am returning to moding and have created something experimental and weird, like I do.

Join Dragon Quest Builders Mafia; a quasi-soldiers game in one thread. Do it.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Fronz . . .

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Peta posted:

Fronz . . .

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Peta posted:

Fronz . . .

wow

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Peta posted:

Fronz . . .