Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i critique the gently caress out of things and watch a lot of people who critique the gently caress out of things. i mean gently caress i could write a goddamn novel about everything wrong with morrowind, my favorite game ever.

You mostly seem to call things vomit and dumb and accuse people of being pretentious secret hitlers, and that's not what I mean when I talk about critique. You can call it banal but a lot of being a critic is going to involve working with the details of the source material.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

his entire shtick is playing a game with the most completionist mindset possible and then bitching about poo poo like how botw has 900 koroks, i mean gently caress in his video for that game he even says that nintendo probably didn't intend for you to get all of them but then keeps bitching about them anyway

There's a transcript of the video and a quick search doesn't seem to show any "bitching" about Breath of the Wild having 900 korok seeds.

I don't think it's controversial to say that the shrines had more duds than hits, or that the subtractive armor math leads to a very small window between being one-shot and taking chip damage. What did he do to break the brains of a small number of very loud posters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
afaict joseph anderson is dumb but probably not a nazi.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Reading up the last page I thought the conversation was about Jim Sterling. Who the gently caress is joseph anderson?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eschenique posted:

Reading up the last page I thought the conversation was about Jim Sterling. Who the gently caress is joseph anderson?

A guy who does really long review/critiques of video games on youtube and has some dumb opinions about said video games.

These opinions drive some other nerds up the wall

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Andrast posted:

A guy who does really long review/critiques of video games on youtube and has some dumb opinions about said video games.

These opinions drive some other nerds up the wall

What does he think of Anita Sarkeesian? That's pretty much the one question to settle the matter of a game related personality.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

joseph anderson meanwhile is the video game equivalent of a cinema discussion contrarian shitposter, everything he says is vacuous and pointless and i've never seen him once make a good point about anything ever.
His NMS video was good, especially the ending.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I saw a couple of his videos, on A Plague Tale and Edith Finch, and thought they were okay. I don't have the stamina to sit through someone talking about Breath of the Wild or Mario for two hours, though.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Mandalore made fun of resetera so he's for sure a confirmed nazi 100%. jopep anderson is however worse, because he said a negative thing about a nintendo game which is just unforgivable.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Wait, is Mandalore a chud? The few vids of his that I've watched seemed pretty innocuous, and Hbomb gave a shout out to his pathologic vid in the description of his own.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hbomberguy: "What is it like, making video game content on YouTube so everyone automatically assumes you're a racist monster?"

MandaloreGaming: "it's alright"

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

For some reason people like to claim a joke about ResetEra as evidence of Mandalore being a chud even though people there were happy to post disgusting poo poo about Etika when he was reported missing. gently caress that forum.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

For some reason people like to claim a joke about ResetEra as evidence of Mandalore being a chud even though people there were happy to post disgusting poo poo about Etika when he was reported missing. gently caress that forum.

There are people who don't think Resetera is a joke?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

What's the deal with Noah Gervais patreon being minimum 10 dollars a month or nothing? I want to support content creators I like but sheesh. Did someone do the math and figure patreon whaling was the optimal way to go?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can't opt in for a buck or custom amount, or do you mean only to get some sort of benefit from the patreon?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LunarCress posted:

Wait, is Mandalore a chud? The few vids of his that I've watched seemed pretty innocuous, and Hbomb gave a shout out to his pathologic vid in the description of his own.

He's made a few weird jokes and does hang out with SSeth (who loves old school 4chan poo poo edgy humor) but no I don't think he's a chud.

Anderson used to have a Twitter feed of all sorts of alt right figureheads like Cernovich and Milo but he seems to have cleaned all that out. So he's just kind of an idiot now instead of being a chud?

Anderson's an idiot for burning himself out trying to "100%" a game specifically designed so that you can see all the content far before that then criticizing the game itself for his obsession.

His Edith Finch video was the first one of his I saw and that one is pretty good.

He's just now desperately trying to be Noah without the talent or smarts to pull off the longform videos unfortunately.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Eschenique posted:

What's the deal with Noah Gervais patreon being minimum 10 dollars a month or nothing?

When you click "Become a Patron" there's a button right below that one that says "Make a custom pledge." You absolutely don't have to donate $10 minimum.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my strongest memory of resetera is someone claiming that japan has yet to produce a single anime aimed at women. their example of this was the ancient magus bride. the anime that's just 'beauty and the beast if beast was a hot skeleton dude and belle got magic powers.' It mostly just seems like it has the same neolib circlejerk problems that neogaf had, minus being run by a rapist, but the weird 'you need a work or paid email' to get in thing makes it exclusionary by design so the puffing eachother up is even worse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well yeah ResetEra is full of all kinds of idiot takes as the extreme left part of the hive that was neoGAF.

It's also a shorthand for "SJWs" the alt right loves to use.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

iirc the guy joseph anderson was hanging out with was mandalore gaming, not MauLer. I'm not aware of mandalore being a chud but I also don't watch his videos or know his twitter or anything so

mauler called joseph a bunch of slurs because joseph doesn't think its possible to say if a game is objectively good or bad

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Joseph Anderson pretty much nailed my thoughts about BOTW, which is a game I really love and have played through multiple times and constantly watch streams of.

1) Weapon durability sucks
2) There's not enough different types of enemies
3) The shrines are mostly easy and like a quarter of them are combat shrines
4) The dungeons are pretty cool but I wish they were more distinct and the bosses were cooler and there were more of them

Basically, BOTW is really amazing until the "game" gets in the way. Going around, exploring, and trying to find stuff is really cool (except for the part where what you find tends to be underwhelming).

His thoughts on Mario Odyssey were pretty similar, a lot of it being that he wished each moon were more meaningful, and also that a bunch of moons weren't super same-y across all the worlds. I think in both cases, the games were kind of made with short sessions in mind, which can hurt if you intend to sit down and play them in long bursts.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 9, 2020

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
ResetEra is a prime example of how to not manage a community.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah I can’t really get behind Joseph Anderson. It’s cool other people like him, but his approach of having to 100% a game to talk about it means that I can never really relate to him.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

my strongest memory of resetera is someone claiming that japan has yet to produce a single anime aimed at women. their example of this was the ancient magus bride. the anime that's just 'beauty and the beast if beast was a hot skeleton dude and belle got magic powers.' It mostly just seems like it has the same neolib circlejerk problems that neogaf had, minus being run by a rapist, but the weird 'you need a work or paid email' to get in thing makes it exclusionary by design so the puffing eachother up is even worse.
Didn't resetera also turn out to be run by a rapist?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That was the predecessor, neogaf, which is still run by a rapist and is now a rotted den of nazis

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah I can’t really get behind Joseph Anderson. It’s cool other people like him, but his approach of having to 100% a game to talk about it means that I can never really relate to him.

I understand the basic idea of wanting to cover 100% of a game because it’s a built-in critical defence from saying one’s opinion is invalid because you didn’t do/see “X.”

I do think he does get bogged down and misses broader critical aspects of a game and gets hung up on minor insignificant details of a games design fairly often. But I don’t think it’s inherently a problem for someone to 100% explore all the content a game has to offer.

MatthewMatois has a similar but much better approach to Joseph Anderson and is able to more consisely and better articulate his thoughts.

For example, if you have the time to watch both of their critiques of God of War, although it can’t be a 100% fair comparison because JA focuses much more on specific story beats:

https://youtu.be/IERHMMXeshc

Vs

https://youtu.be/pJPOvLvdugw

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

That was the predecessor, neogaf, which is still run by a rapist and is now a rotted den of nazis

RE went the opposite way and became a "super woke" hivemind where the leadership allows zero differing opinions or criticism to their own.

Unrelated, MatthewMatosis is definitely pretty good overall.

I just find I judge most of the folks doing game analysis against Noah and that's really not fair to them. I only really follow him and Sterling outside of LPers though when it comes to game stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I mentioned this the last time Joseph came up but I think what drives me up the wall the most is because his videos are so long he doesn't end up realizing how many times he contradicts himself in the final product (or at least, in the Super Mario Odyssey vid, I never watched his others) and that annoys me more than the video being long or him being dumb about other things.

Also I saw a clip of him finishing up Disco Elysium and getting called out for choosing the fascist options and getting upset about it but idk if that was just a bit or something since that's all I saw, but it made me laugh.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
He didn't sound that shocked to me. More a kind of half laughing that the game called him out on it at the end.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I just rewatched it, you're right. I remembered his "WHAT!" being more shocked than it was. My bad.

Also just for the record I wasn't bringing that up as part of the "is he a chud??????????????" crap, just thought it was funny.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I've fallen into the Youtube restoration videos rabbithole, and I came across a channel where this guy (I believe he's Scandinavian) pretty much takes on all comers. Old tools, cookware, the odd toy car, lighters, and consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BmGMi0IEx4

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Good Bad or Bad Bad recaps Dancin': It's On!. Bryan enjoyed the movie, at least.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kim Justice posted:

yeah. i mean i am a lefty and resetera is kinda lovely. parts are ok but they eat their own constantly. they seem to have gotten a little better of late. i feel like you can make jokes about lefty/"lefty" figures/sites and still be a lefty because i guess alot of us are big chuds than.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I mentioned this the last time Joseph came up but I think what drives me up the wall the most is because his videos are so long he doesn't end up realizing how many times he contradicts himself in the final product (or at least, in the Super Mario Odyssey vid, I never watched his others) and that annoys me more than the video being long or him being dumb about other things.

Also I saw a clip of him finishing up Disco Elysium and getting called out for choosing the fascist options and getting upset about it but idk if that was just a bit or something since that's all I saw, but it made me laugh.

yeah anderson is basicaly a smarter/dumber tevis. he isnt a bad dude but he is one of those dudes who needs everything spelled out and than doesnt understand it anyway and gets mad and demands games do it more.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I was under the impression that Resetera was more liberal rather than left

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Andrast posted:

I was under the impression that Resetera was more liberal rather than left

they have gone full bernie now. which is nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah anderson is basicaly a smarter/dumber tevis. he isnt a bad dude but he is one of those dudes who needs everything spelled out and than doesnt understand it anyway and gets mad and demands games do it more.
yes, this in particular was apparent when he got hung up on the whole story of subnautica, particularly the ending. there were extremely clear points tying everything together and his overanalytical brokebrain just kept typing them into overly complicated knots when it's a simple A to B to C that he outright saw in the infodumps he was finding. I really don't think I'll watch any of his reviews because that aspect taking over for him to dictate at you for an hour or more would be garbage, but playing off chat, he does pretty well.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Vagabundo posted:

I've fallen into the Youtube restoration videos rabbithole, and I came across a channel where this guy (I believe he's Scandinavian) pretty much takes on all comers. Old tools, cookware, the odd toy car, lighters, and consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BmGMi0IEx4

He's from Finland, it's a really good channel, it's so relaxing to watch.

For more in this category I like My Mechanics and Atenales as well, but there's so much out there

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I was catching up on some of the Defunctland videos after I saw the most recent one posted and this one about the wild party Disney threw after the release of Snow White is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsP71i7O49U

It covers a lot more than that, too, like the early attitude of the Disney animators and Walt himself, workplace harassment and relationships with the one department comprised of women, the creepy guy who married the teenage model they used for Snow White, and the strike of the animators and tensions caused by Disney being convinced all the strikers were dirty commies.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Joseph Anderson hasn't released an actual review since June of last year.

There are people who make things right now, you know. We can go back to dunking on the guy when he puts something up.

Eschenique posted:

What's the deal with Noah Gervais patreon being minimum 10 dollars a month or nothing? I want to support content creators I like but sheesh. Did someone do the math and figure patreon whaling was the optimal way to go?

Ten dollar is just what gets your name in the "reads from a notebook in a cold room" end credits, you can contribute whatever amount you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I like Joseph Anderson's videos on Fallout 4, and haven't seen anyone else do a better breakdown of that game. That said, I don't particularly care about seeing anything else of his.

RareAcumen posted:

Has anyone done a good video on Legend of Korra? I remember hearing a lot talk about there being meddling but that phrase is literally all I ever hear, nothing specific.

Lily Orchard's done one, but she's kinda suspect as a critic.