Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I was told by reputable expert that the xfl was acceptable football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

coconono posted:

I was told by reputable expert that the xfl was acceptable football

it seriously depends on which teams are playing

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I'd like to apologize for today.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

as someone who watched like, 90% of the xfl this weekend, it's totally watchable. xavier's recovering from surgery and seems like a company guy, so it doesn't shock me he made a very brief social media post about a wwe-adjacent thing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is American football even fun to watch? I heard it's like watching the last 2 minutes of a basketball game with all the timeouts, except that's the entire game.

All I know of it is from this 1995-era PC game called NFL Math that made you do arithmetic and depending on your results your team would do good or not, and when you win a season it lets you print a certificate where "<name> led the Arizona Cardinals to victory in NFL Math"

Good times.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's obviously gonna be subjective. I'd say that when a football game is going and doesn't stop much it can be pretty fun. When they're constantly stopping play for ad breaks and sponsor plugs though it is unbearable to me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

American Footbal is what you get when rich people retool a game about pushing and shoving from one end of a field to the other into a TV show. They even have built in commercial breaks and stuff. Its a good mix of personality, tactical play, athleticism and carnage. The problem is you've got a vocal minority of cis dudes that are desperately resistant to changing anything and football is one of them.

Anyway, ELP is just clattering the meal tin against the zoo's cages

https://twitter.com/elpwrestling/status/1226679184216481793

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

davidbix posted:

It's not your fault

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

davidbix posted:

I can only assume these two posts are related.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XFL has some kind of rules to make the game faster, right?

Jerusalem posted:

I can only assume these two posts are related.

You're right. Bix outed himself as a Nickelback fan and has spent the whole day passionately defending them AND Three Doors Down.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

american football is a turn-based strategy game, not an action game. you can keep your turn going by repeatedly achieving a goal and/or score points by reaching the ultimate goal

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Football as an TBS makes surprising sense.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Neodoomium posted:

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1226521172566654981

Shoko rates herself third best Big Kaiju in Japan.

As an ESL teacher, (currently in Korea not Japan, although I did do a year in Yokohama), watching these non-English speakers try to do promos in English warms my heart.

You can see her trying, you can see her using the words and grammar she knows, and you can see her trying to use all that to create something cool, (the top 3 Kaiju thing).

God bless you Shoko Nakajima.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
As far as the XFL goes the only thing you need to know is PJ Walker is cool.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The evil has been defeated, Cody Hall's been kicked out of DDT for his tweet

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1226686190079725568

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fuckin' lol

Wasn't that the only place booking him

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

BrigadierSensible posted:

As an ESL teacher, (currently in Korea not Japan, although I did do a year in Yokohama), watching these non-English speakers try to do promos in English warms my heart.

You can see her trying, you can see her using the words and grammar she knows, and you can see her trying to use all that to create something cool, (the top 3 Kaiju thing).

God bless you Shoko Nakajima.

Every single one of them has been delightful. The English DDT account guy has noted that none of them ever get around to actually promoting the show, which is hilarious.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

lmao, loving cody. dude is all look and zero talent/charisma. the only things he inherited from his dad are his frame and penchant for partying like an rear end in a top hat

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This leaves only Dragon Gate at this point? I can't remember if he was kicked out of BJW yet.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Cody Hall Gets Kicked Out Of Every Promotion World Tour 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

Every single one of them has been delightful. The English DDT account guy has noted that none of them ever get around to actually promoting the show, which is hilarious.

That is something else I saw. The girls mostly seem nervous and shy speaking in front of the cameras. I put that down to having to speak in a language they barely know, but could also be because they don't get to cut these kind of promos very often.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

People tempted to compare this to Low Ki: At least Low Ki was a good wrestler sometimes. Cody sucked, has always sucked, had a famous last name via his dad that helped him get booked despite that, and still hosed it up everywhere he went anyway. It's really been a sight to see

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

SunshineDanceParty posted:

As far as the XFL goes the only thing you need to know is PJ Walker is cool.

He's just incredible, indeed.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The Cody Hall Gets Kicked Out Of Every Promotion World Tour 2020

It's literally baffling to me that he hasn't had an extended run in TNA by now. The hired Del Rio like five times!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's literally baffling to me that he hasn't had an extended run in TNA by now. The hired Del Rio like five times!

Woah reading your post I just had a moment where I felt like TNA had been closed down for a while now and was just reminded it is in fact still running

Having AEW to look forward to every week has made every other promotion kinda fade away in my mind and they've all been replaced with Judas on repeat

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah Samoa Joe doesn't even work there anymore, its not like there's beef.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cody being a total entitled shithead makes watching him get dunked on by other wrestlers and kicked out by promotions so dang satisfying though

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Seeing somebody not live up to their potential is sad, even if they don't deserve to live up to their potential because they're shitheads. Of course maybe he never had any actual potential in the first place and we're just projecting.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Book Cody Hall to the dishwasher at TGI Friday's

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

it’s garbage that Chuck doesn’t get to do any promos. look at his raw skill.

https://twitter.com/gentlemansooc/status/1226698248246583297?s=21

let him say “poo poo” coward tony

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Schneider Heim posted:

Is American football even fun to watch? I heard it's like watching the last 2 minutes of a basketball game with all the timeouts, except that's the entire game.

Yes, but it's better if you are watching something like Red Zone where you can watch 8-9 games at once and skip out on all the other nonsense. The game is solid, the strategy is interesting, and if you are invested (GO CHEFS! :toot:)

All sports are improved if you cut out most of the extraneous nonsense. Even soccer, which I love, has a lot of "downtime" when no one can get close to threatening a goal. I can watch a DVR-ed soccer match in 30 minutes just by utilizing the 30-second skip until something happens. If I could start watching a baseball game by reading a scorecard player by player until I want to watch video of an At Bat I would.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Woah reading your post I just had a moment where I felt like TNA had been closed down for a while now and was just reminded it is in fact still running

Having AEW to look forward to every week has made every other promotion kinda fade away in my mind and they've all been replaced with Judas on repeat

i stumbled on just last week they had a spectacular match between TJP and El Hijo del Vikingo

only noted this because Vikingo should've been in AEW yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JePb4TivF2w

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

As a non-American I find football the easiest to watch. Baseball is just baffling to me. It seems like a sport designed so that nothing fun ever happens. Firstly, the bat is round so almost nobody can hit the loving ball and on the off chance that someone does manage to get one out into the field, all the fielders have giant gloves on so it's pretty much guaranteed anything remotely close to them will be caught easily. Taking the gloves away would improve the sport immensely.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Crapple! posted:

As a non-American I find football the easiest to watch. Baseball is just baffling to me. It seems like a sport designed so that nothing fun ever happens. Firstly, the bat is round so almost nobody can hit the loving ball and on the off chance that someone does manage to get one out into the field, all the fielders have giant gloves on so it's pretty much guaranteed anything remotely close to them will be caught easily. Taking the gloves away would improve the sport immensely.

This is some fumble dimension poo poo, and I love it!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think about how pro-wrestling has ruined real sports for me, just watching a basketball game in its entirety is some tedious poo poo for me (and the Philippines is utterly crazy for basketball). It gets worse when a team is lagging by 20 points, might as well change the channel.

On the other end of the spectrum, boxing/MMA with its surprise finishes make me feel like I didn't get my money's worth. I only watch pro-wrestling and sports anime now.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Baseball is great because it's a nesting doll of games in games. Each half-inning is a reset, those are made up of multiple pitcher/batter duels, and the best hitters only succeed 30% of the time.

It's also a game better suited to radio than tv. There's a reason I enjoy baseball when I have the time to keep score for the entire match vs just watching it passively.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Schneider Heim posted:

I think about how pro-wrestling has ruined real sports for me, just watching a basketball game in its entirety is some tedious poo poo for me (and the Philippines is utterly crazy for basketball). It gets worse when a team is lagging by 20 points, might as well change the channel.

On the other end of the spectrum, boxing/MMA with its surprise finishes make me feel like I didn't get my money's worth. I only watch pro-wrestling and sports anime now.

The point of watching basketball isn't a sporting competition. The point of watching basketball is to watch people with absurd genetics style on each other in the silliest of ways.

Which doesn't put it that far from pro wrestling, actually.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TTBF posted:

That's obviously gonna be subjective. I'd say that when a football game is going and doesn't stop much it can be pretty fun. When they're constantly stopping play for ad breaks and sponsor plugs though it is unbearable to me.

As a rugby guy, I did once attempt to watch a handegg game, and honestly, I found it completely unwatchable. In fact, I find most American sports coverage unbearable, because it just feels like the game itself is there to interrupt seemingly endless ad breaks. It's loving poo poo-tier garbage poo poo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Crapple! posted:

Baseball is by design a game where success is the exception rather than the rule. It's also really hard to watch if you can't invest in the battle of wits and arms between the pitcher and batter. Which is not made easier by the fact that there is WAY TOO MUCH loving BASEBALL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The best "real" sport is Test Cricket.

Yes, it lasts for 5 days. Yes, there are sometimes no winners after said 5 days.

Fight me!