Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Parasite won best picture.
So now we know for a fact that Parasite is as good as Green Book and Crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Bong Joon-Ho won four academy awards in one night.

The only other person to do this was Walt Disney for 1953.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you missed On Cinema's Oscar Special, Gregg dressed up as Joker and accidentally killed a few people with carbon monoxide.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is Barking Dogs Never Bite worth a look? I sort of assumed I'd have more Bong to dig into but it's the only of his I haven't seen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I love Bong Joon-Ho but god are his movies a loving bummer.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Vincent posted:

Parasite won best picture.
So now we know for a fact that Parasite is as good as Green Book and Crash.
The first foreign-language international Best Picture winner was an Asian film and it wasn't Chinese, Japanese, or Indian, it was Korean.

And it's wild that contemporary western interest in Korean film likely sprouted from Oldboy's Grand Prix prize at Cannes 2004 with a jury headed by... Quentin Tarantino.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bong specifically shouted out Quentin for including his movies on Beat Of lists or whatever, but it probably applies to Korean films in general.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Coaaab posted:

The first foreign-language international Best Picture winner was an Asian film and it wasn't Chinese, Japanese, or Indian, it was Korean.
While Parasite is incredible and more than deserved all the awards tonight, this is more of a condemnation of Academy racist bullshit than anything.

I'm going to bed happy and I hope that Bong Joon-ho's hangover isn't too bad tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/kvanaren/status/1226710200138305536

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent posted:

While Parasite is incredible and more than deserved all the awards tonight, this is more of a condemnation of Academy racist bullshit than anything.

What do you mean?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Presumably that it took 92 years for it to happen.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vincent posted:

What does this mean?

You know the saying "a dumb mans idea of a smart person"? Yeah, basically the same thing. She starts with a conclusion and works her way backwards to justify it with semi-academic jargon, and people eat it up because it validates their opinions on stuff and lends a faux objective sheen to their likes and dislikes

CelticPredator posted:

film people are terrible. lindsey ellis is good you smug fucks.

CelticPredator posted:

its a smug snipe.

Well if anyone would recognize a smug snipe it'd be you, I guess

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You heard about the time he was gonna have an event at a gay bar and then canceled the day of when his husband saw they had a dance pole, right

Gripweed posted:

There's also this

:laffo: he's really the loving worst, isn't he? Even Biden can't seem to stand that guy

In Oscar related chat, I'm pleasantly surprised this year. Best actor for Phoenix, Best Picture for Parasite and a big fat nothing for Endgame. Good choices all around

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1226765991448702976

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CPL593H posted:

I love Bong Joon-Ho but god are his movies a loving bummer.

Yeah they're hilarious

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

morestuff posted:

Is Barking Dogs Never Bite worth a look? I sort of assumed I'd have more Bong to dig into but it's the only of his I haven't seen.

Absolutely, but be prepared to put some effort into it. Granted it's been a while, but I remember it being very hard to track down.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah they're hilarious

Oh he's great with dark humor and satire. My mind first goes to the way Americans are portrayed in The Host. Have you seen Mother? That one seemed to slip under everyone's radar.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 10, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As with a lot of internet people attempting to participate in discussion, she’s typically beginning from a conclusion and then using academic-sounding terms incorrectly in a way that “sounds right.”

I posted as much in the interminable prequeldome thread, but if interpersonal drama doesn't sink the boat first it'll be kinda seeing how the contradictions in this body of film crit youtube unwind themselves. At some point there's going to be some film or TV series that won't reconcile neatly under this way of thinking and it'll be fireworks. Rise of Skywalker might have worked had anyone liked it, but alas.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Yo what is this sick filth, Marriage Story has the kid and mum playing with a 1998 US Godzilla toy

gently caress you, baumbach

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I just saw Dark Waters and it is really good. Surprised it got no Oscsr buzz.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Niwrad posted:

I just saw Dark Waters and it is really good. Surprised it got no Oscar buzz.

?????

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron von Eevl posted:

Presumably that it took 92 years for it to happen.

It's hosed up that Shin Godzilla wasn't even nominated for anything

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Hobbit videos she made were really good.

Doubtful.

The first one starts with the premise that the hobbits were uneven (which I agree with! tho I suspect I would disagree with her over which elements are good/bad), but instead of explicating that she just reminisces about the Lord of the rings

For an hour, then it ends. My interest killed, it's hard to imagine watching the second one.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The one where she interviews the actors about how lovely the films were for working conditions in the New Zealand film industry was pretty good. Don't remember anything at all she said about the actual movies, though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Doubtful.

The first one starts with the premise that the hobbits were uneven (which I agree with! tho I suspect I would disagree with her over which elements are good/bad), but instead of explicating that she just reminisces about the Lord of the rings

For an hour, then it ends. My interest killed, it's hard to imagine watching the second one.

The third video about how the New Zealand government hosed over worker protections to make shooting the Hobbit movies more convenient is the only good video in that series.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/bongjoonwhore/status/1226811394206531584?s=21

https://twitter.com/jackposobiec/status/1226865706186235904?s=21

Drink it in

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 10, 2020

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really love how the subtitles are trying to cope and they just loving can't.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Hoes are MAD :getin:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The response if Joker had swept the Oscars probably would've been funnier, but this is pretty good

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

morestuff posted:

It's good, but if you're sentitive to dogs getting murked maybe stay away. I loved the ending, I wish more movies ended that way.

Unrelated, anyone else having trouble viewing linked tweets on here?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Aniara really goes for slow and dull bleakness. is that really a swedish thing?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It is legit funny how unselfaware the Parasite win is. Like that movie is about everyone in that room but pretty much everyone there is thinking "but surely this doesn't apply to me"

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Honest Thief posted:

It’s a humanity thing. Swedes just have a particular knack for depicting it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

axelblaze posted:

It is legit funny how unselfaware the Parasite win is. Like that movie is about everyone in that room but pretty much everyone there is thinking "but surely this doesn't apply to me"

Between this and Chrissy Teigen and Elon Musk expressing their love for the film this really feels like a culture of ruling elites trying to get in front of a counterculture before it does any real damage.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m glad I decided to give Mandy a chance because while I could barely stand Beyond the Black Rainbow, I liked Mandy quite a bit! Things actually happen for most of the runtime, and I liked how it was designed to totally overwhelm the viewer.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is honestly still a lot of fun. The first act suffers the most from a case of sequelitis and being the middle chapter of a story, but once it starts rolling and all the pieces are set in motion, it whips. I can’t tell if it’s because I’m older and my attention span’s better or if I just forgot, but I feel like I’ve gotten a better grasp on the large-scale conflicts during these rewatchings than in the past.

married but discreet posted:

It's good, but if you're sentitive to dogs getting murked maybe stay away. I loved the ending, I wish more movies ended that way.

Unrelated, anyone else having trouble viewing linked tweets on here?

You might have to go into your settings and slow linked tweets to show up.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Budgie Jumping posted:

It’s a humanity thing. Swedes just have a particular knack for depicting it.

the nightclub dance was the saddest poo poo, post environment colapse what is left is this ikea nihilism hellhole

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Honest Thief posted:

the nightclub dance was the saddest poo poo, post environment colapse what is left is this ikea nihilism hellhole

Haha normally I rankle at the word Ikea being used to describe modern Swedish stuff, but in this case it’s accurate. Ikea is already the face of modern Swedish quasi-colonialism and the stores are only tolerable because they’re designed to constantly remind you that you’re getting closer and closer to the exit as you walk. Aniara’s just a big drat floating Ikea traveling to Mars so they can build Ikeas there. Until it’s not.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Between this and Chrissy Teigen and Elon Musk expressing their love for the film this really feels like a culture of ruling elites trying to get in front of a counterculture before it does any real damage.

Musk did the same thing at the VGAs with Cyberpunk 2077.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Eh, I doubt that game will actually be anticapitalist at all though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Honest Thief posted:

I felt like the film was structured so that the initial events took more time and the further along dates were just small slices of time. I like that it doesn't hold your hand and just plops you into poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

It's funny, because In my country the stereotypicsl swede is not dull and bleak. We have the word "party-swede" for example which describes a swede who comes to Norway to work and party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Eh, I doubt that game will actually be anticapitalist at all though.

True. More of a failure on the game's part that it attracts him in the first place. Grimey did the game's theme song, so I expect anti-union propagana.