Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
neither character is super popular so my sample size is limited, but the best samus player in europe lost a set to the best bowser player in europe a week ago, so :shrug:

(this was pre-patch, however)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I dunno, I haven't noticed DK being that much tougher than anyone else, but I suppose I don't see him that often. Spike is rough but there are ways around it. And that huge hitbox is so so nice to hit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Strange Matter posted:

In my experience, which I think is shared with some other Samus mains here, is that DK's speed and reach really rain on Samus's parade, and her floatiness makes her a juicy target for DK's spike game if you aren't careful. In contrast I don't think I've ever lost a 1v1 against Bowser as Samus; there's really not much Bowser can do to her.

And here I thought Samus (or Dark Samus) was DK's hard counter.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Isn't Samus still partially broken?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I don't think I've ever lost to a Ridley as Samus either, though I haven't fought any since they buffed him.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Grapplejack posted:

Isn't Samus still partially broken?

Ultimate Samus? No.

Melee Samus? Yes.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ultimate Samus has a sort of broken jab 2, it doesn't really work great

But since they juuuust buffed her and didn't change the jab I guess it's just intentional. So yeah, stick with jab 1 to tilt/charge shot/whatever

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's intentional, there's even a loading screen tip that tells you the 2nd hit of the jab doesn't combo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Theta Zero posted:

Ultimate Samus? No.

Melee Samus? Yes.
There's no need to mention Melee Samus, the "still" in the original question implies that she may have been fixed.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i was half expecting them to add loading screen tips for captain falcon saying 'his turnaround sucks because turning is hard in f-zero' and 'if he grabs you with falcon dive off stage, he's vulnerable to counterattacks'

maybe even 'raptor boost doesn't work sometimes, much like a car' :iiaca:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Samus is a character that I really wanna dig playing with but her dodge is soooooooo slow, feels like havin my legs cut off

I know that dark Samus is there to counter this but I like playing as OG Samus with the black/yellow variant :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's broken about Melee Samus?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sigher posted:

What's broken about Melee Samus?

superwavedash is insane dude... also the extendurrrr gives her the best grab range in the game

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, but neither bring her out of her mid-tier ranking and they're basically never used.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Parrotine posted:

Samus is a character that I really wanna dig playing with but her dodge is soooooooo slow, feels like havin my legs cut off

I know that dark Samus is there to counter this but I like playing as OG Samus with the black/yellow variant :(

Dark Samus's dodge is the same speed as regular Samus

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sigher posted:

Yeah, but neither bring her out of her mid-tier ranking and they're basically never used.

I could've sworn Samus was A tier, since players like Plup and Duck represent her in tournament often. Checking it out, she was bumped into A tier for about a year before being dropped back town to mid/C tier as per usual.

She does have that super wavedash, but there's also weird stuff like the homing grapple beam and a literal infinite recovery. She may be the most broken character in Smash in terms of functionality and not power, since we have Brawl Metaknight and Smash 4 Bayonetta. The only character that comes close to "things not working as intended" would probably be Melee Game and Watch whose shield doesn't work and moves don't L cancel on top of having most of their data copied from Mario's placeholder stats.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bef posted:

superwavedash is insane dude... also the extendurrrr gives her the best grab range in the game

What was the deal with that extended range homing grapple anyway? Was it a debug thing left in the game?

I miss the melee morph ball bombs. You could spam Bowser to death with them.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

RBA Starblade posted:

What was the deal with that extended range homing grapple anyway? Was it a debug thing left in the game?

I miss the melee morph ball bombs. You could spam Bowser to death with them.

Nobody really knows because the input is too specific and unrelated to be a glitch, so people theorize that it was just a debug command for maybe a scrapped version for the grapple beam that used the missile's homing technology. We can't tell for sure what it is unless a person who worked on the game confirms it.

There's a few instances in other games where you can use a specific input via a controller to access some debug commands rather than using a debug menu. Sonic CD I think let you access a debug level select by pushing certain inputs in the sound test, for example.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

Learn to Tether Grab ledges. Samus's up-B is pretty easy to punish so the Tether is generally a safer option if you can pull it off.

I always seem to be facing the wrong direction when recovering. So when I use grapple it doesn't connect and I end up falling to death.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love playing as Samus but I think the bombs are just about the worst special in the game

Of course I'm also a total Samus scrub so please prove me wrong

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I love playing as Samus but I think the bombs are just about the worst special in the game

They allow you to land on a stage almost 100% safely in my experience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Bloop posted:

They're good at interrupting things, spacing, or being a shithead on the edge, and they're also really good at helping you avoid the up-smash someone's preparing for you as you gently float down to earth

They're just not the total bullshit they were in melee where you could chain-bomb forever as long as the first explodes

I also hate that I can't just spam the grapple like I could in brawl - I used to juggle people to the edge then meteor smash them with it lol

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The Bloop posted:

Bombs are good for mixing up landing and to create space like a lesser version of Z-dropping Snake's grenades. Since Samus is slow and floaty, they're the perfect tool for her.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The bombs also let you instantly go full momentum in either direction, regardless of your current air momentum, which is a huge asset in landing safely and mixing up someone who's trying to juggle

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

super fart shooter posted:

The bombs also let you instantly go full momentum in either direction, regardless of your current air momentum, which is a huge asset in landing safely and mixing up someone who's trying to juggle

Yeah that's the biggest deal for me, you can change direction in mid-air without airdodging or b reversing. Plus it's free pressure on the edge, the morph ball lets you slide back on the ground for some real easy spacing.

When knocked off stage just start bombing and save your second jump, makes getting back way easier. Such a useful move.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I always seem to be facing the wrong direction when recovering. So when I use grapple it doesn't connect and I end up falling to death.

*smiles sagely*
Fellow traveler the move that you seek is the b reverse
https://youtu.be/mL4EKnsBYRo

Anyway, I just absolutely wrecked a DK with similar gsp online so I'm gonna figure that's not a Samus counterpick. Fox and Lucina, on the other hand, usually gently caress me up. And Hero, but that's more of a personal mental block more than anything, gently caress that guy.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jesus, nothing is more tilting than a character constantly landing aerials on you. Joker's frame data is crazy, and if I just shield and try to grab out of shield (or jab) they can spot dodge and immediately ruin me.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah that's the biggest deal for me, you can change direction in mid-air without airdodging or b reversing. Plus it's free pressure on the edge, the morph ball lets you slide back on the ground for some real easy spacing.

When knocked off stage just start bombing and save your second jump, makes getting back way easier. Such a useful move.

*smiles sagely*
Fellow traveler the move that you seek is the b reverse
https://youtu.be/mL4EKnsBYRo

Anyway, I just absolutely wrecked a DK with similar gsp online so I'm gonna figure that's not a Samus counterpick. Fox and Lucina, on the other hand, usually gently caress me up. And Hero, but that's more of a personal mental block more than anything, gently caress that guy.
Fox (frankly anyone with a lot of speed) gives Samus trouble, but his ability to flatly wreck Samus is dependent on whether his player gets psyched out by your charge blast or not. Some Foxes will really fish for the reflected blast which is so easy to punish with your grab or flamethrower. Close Quarters Samus is extremely fun to play.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Donkey Kong is fun as hell to play in ultimate.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

As a dedicated Samus main, sometimes Hero seriously pisses me off. I played a match against one who spammed the magic menu and got bounce nearly every time. At that point I wasn't playing against him, I was playing against his stupid rng gimmick.

Also bombs rule. If you drop them right you can land multiple shield hits.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The French Army posted:

As a dedicated Samus main, sometimes Hero seriously pisses me off. I played a match against one who spammed the magic menu and got bounce nearly every time. At that point I wasn't playing against him, I was playing against his stupid rng gimmick.

Also bombs rule. If you drop them right you can land multiple shield hits.

Samus has very good normals. If a Hero getting bounce is throwing you off, that means you're relying too much on projectiles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Theta Zero posted:

Samus has very good normals. If a Hero getting bounce is throwing you off, that means you're relying too much on projectiles.

To be fair "try your best to pretend half of your character no longer exists for the entirety of this match or lose, oops you thought of B" sucks a lot, but fighting the Hero just sucks in general

They could have tried to make the rng thing fun at least

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

If you’ve ever watched QuiK play Samus, the way he uses bombs is the reason Samus has an insane advantage state, basically by controlling the ledge utterly in complete safety. He has one particular setup where it seems no matter what his opponent does, he will always be able to nail them with a Charge Shot.

https://youtu.be/NX6p5GzLkNY

https://youtu.be/adAnGMHYt_4

These two videos show a lot of QuiK’s method which allows him to put the screws to players like Gluttony, Samsora and Mr. R. Actually, it was seeing QuiK play that kinda got me going “Man I actually wanna try this character.”

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair "try your best to pretend half of your character no longer exists for the entirety of this match or lose, oops you thought of B" sucks a lot, but fighting the Hero just sucks in general

They could have tried to make the rng thing fun at least

LOL.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hate him!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

No LOLing 2-3 moves out of 17 is half of her arsenal

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bef posted:

No LOLing 2-3 moves out of 17 is half of her arsenal

Missile, super missile, bomb, grapple beam, charge beam

:colbert:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Missile, super missile, bomb, grapple beam, charge beam

:colbert:

drat do the reflectors affect grapple beam?

Also Mega Man has it so much worse a bunch of his drat normals are reflectable (up-air, down-air, neutral attack, forward tilt, nair, forward smash) :qq:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

drat do the reflectors affect grapple beam?

Also Mega Man has it so much worse a bunch of his drat normals are reflectable (up-air, down-air, neutral attack, forward tilt, nair, forward smash) :qq:

It'll reflect it if you fire in mid-air yeah

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Let me tell you about fighting Hero as Mega Man and only having like 3 moves when he gets bounce.

Edit: Haha beaten to it. But yeah, it's one of the worst matches, and I've played against so many heroes that just run to the edge of the map and try to get bounce over and over again. Hero is the least fun character and I hate everything about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sounds more like megaman is the unfun character there