Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cheen posted:

Nope, I was going off a lack of news. Can you link me to the calendar, please?

The January State of the Game article says Historic ranked is coming back before Ikoria and that Historic Anthology 2 is in development (though it doesn't specifically say that Anthology 2 is releasing WITH historic ranked return, and the graphic puts it behind Core2021, so who knows).

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-january-2020-01-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I absolutely love that the winning PT deck is a big dumb Green-Black deck that has no removal or interaction

This is how Magic Was Meant To Be Played Baby

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Huxley posted:

The January State of the Game article says Historic ranked is coming back before Ikoria and that Historic Anthology 2 is in development (though it doesn't specifically say that Anthology 2 is releasing WITH historic ranked return, and the graphic puts it behind Core2021, so who knows).

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-january-2020-01-10

Thanks for this. I do still feel pessimistic about historic

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mike N Eich posted:

I absolutely love that the winning PT deck is a big dumb Green-Black deck that has no removal or interaction

that deck won a qualifier, the PT was won by inverter

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lone Goat posted:

that deck won a qualifier, the PT was won by inverter

because Pros are cowards

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

That was at a PTQ on site. The Players Tour was mostly a sea of Dimir Inverter combo and Lotus Breach combo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO Ben Stark is literally begging for both a Breach and Inverter ban on Twitter.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/channelfireball/status/1226697717448986625?s=21

It really gives me life that in light of all these people squawking endlessly about the Dimir Inverter or Lotus Breach that people are just sleeving up some honest magic cards and beating people to death

Also shout outs to my mans Huey

https://twitter.com/top8games/status/1226884458718154753?s=21

Whatever makes heart of kiran spike I don't care.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mike N Eich posted:

Even better, it is just straight up mono-G stompy that splashes for rotting regisaur.

:allears:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1226924153267052544

WOTC hates everyone knowing win rates and matchup data for GP’s

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Even better, it is just straight up mono-G stompy that splashes for rotting regisaur.

:allears:

And all the removal and disruption in the SB. It’s pretty clear that it’s designed to completely Monster Truck you G1 and then actually play like a Golgari midrange disruption plan G2 and G3

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not to be That Guy, but the deck has been around for a few weeks. Kanister was even running it pretty regularly. All the stompy decks kinda fell off the face of the earth as Niv rose in prominence but it might be time for them to come back.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1226924153267052544

WOTC hates everyone knowing win rates and matchup data for GP’s

Does he work for wizards? i honestly can't remember. otherwise, how are they in a position to not allow him to do something?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bonus posted:

Does he work for wizards? i honestly can't remember. otherwise, how are they in a position to not allow him to do something?

Channel fireball is a business partner with wizards due to their GP contract.

Aaron Forsythe and everyone like him at WOTC are completely embarrassing.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 10, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Years ago they told Goldfish to stop publishing matchup data stuff they pulled from mtgo replay scrapers and such. When the maker of the game that your entire income is based on says stop, I guess you do.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Does nobody play Standard? I keep coming into this thread to learn how to construct my first Standard deck but conversation is always about some other format?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Does nobody play Standard? I keep coming into this thread to learn how to construct my first Standard deck but conversation is always about some other format?

Standard gets discussed occasionally in here but the majority of it is in the Arena Thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897805

Lots of standard and Theros arena draft discussion lately.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If you've got a standard related question just ask. People are talking about the pioneer format as there was just a big event for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Arena thread is for all intents and purposes the Standard thread

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Sickening posted:

Whatever makes heart of kiran spike I don't care.

I pulled 9 out of a bulk box the day after pioneer was announced.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The American Dream posted:

I pulled 9 out of a bulk box the day after pioneer was announced.

It’s not worth mailing right now. If it gets above 5 again, sell it in a hurry.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Thanks!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Just ask what you want to know about here, I'm more than happy to talk about Standard.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I don't have any direct question right now I just want to look at decks that aren't like the meta decks I can find with Google to see how people build and figure out if the direction I'm going is absolute poo poo or just poo poo. I've got a big gently caress-off maybe pile I'm looking to whittle down but haven't had the time. I'm trying to build a UB deck and I keep getting pulled in different directions - I was heading for an enchantment/escape deck (the idea is to use Constellation blues to get more value out of enchantments while filling the graveyard with enchantments for easier escape) and now I'm heading towards a Thassa, Deep Dwelling deck just blinking creatures to spam tokens but that's probably worse. It's really daunting cause I don't know enough cards. Like I've got a poo poo ton of Theros cards from pre-release and then 3 boosters I bought on a lark and my girlfriend got me a Ravnica booster box as an early Valentine's gift but I don't think there's much worthwhile for my deck in it but I'm not even sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dumb point, but Player Tours are kinda a different beast from as Pro Tours, as, for one, they're regional.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Perry Mason Jar posted:

now I'm heading towards a Thassa, Deep Dwelling deck just blinking creatures to spam tokens but that's probably worse. It's really daunting cause I don't know enough cards. Like I've got a poo poo ton of Theros cards from pre-release and then 3 boosters I bought on a lark and my girlfriend got me a Ravnica booster box as an early Valentine's gift but I don't think there's much worthwhile for my deck in it but I'm not even sure.

If you go with Thassa and blinking throw in some Atris. Maybe unmoored ego to try and get the dream trawlers out, though it will become more important to be able to read what deck you’re playing against with that one. Thought Erasure might be helpful with that. Just spitballing. For other filler you want good blink targets so like cloudkin seer if you want a flyer etc. You’ve already got some token generators in mind. Maybe also discard creatures like yaruks fenlurker. Lots of options.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I don't have any direct question right now I just want to look at decks that aren't like the meta decks I can find with Google to see how people build and figure out if the direction I'm going is absolute poo poo or just poo poo. I've got a big gently caress-off maybe pile I'm looking to whittle down but haven't had the time. I'm trying to build a UB deck and I keep getting pulled in different directions - I was heading for an enchantment/escape deck (the idea is to use Constellation blues to get more value out of enchantments while filling the graveyard with enchantments for easier escape) and now I'm heading towards a Thassa, Deep Dwelling deck just blinking creatures to spam tokens but that's probably worse. It's really daunting cause I don't know enough cards. Like I've got a poo poo ton of Theros cards from pre-release and then 3 boosters I bought on a lark and my girlfriend got me a Ravnica booster box as an early Valentine's gift but I don't think there's much worthwhile for my deck in it but I'm not even sure.

The meanest thing you can do with Thassa in standard IMO is go U/G/x big mana and power out an Agent of Treachery.

E: If you're married to Dimir cheat him out from the yard works.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Owlbear Camus posted:

cheat him out from the yard works.

Does this mean graveyard hate? I'm skittish to build for graveyard hate because I worry my opponent won't care about their graveyard. Wouldn't it be more of a sideboard thing?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Does this mean graveyard hate? I'm skittish to build for graveyard hate because I worry my opponent won't care about their graveyard. Wouldn't it be more of a sideboard thing?

nah, they mean using reanimation spells on your own agent of treachery to 'cheat' on its mana cost.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

No, like milling it into your own yard and then getting it out with Blood for Bones.

But that strat would need a back up in the face of your opponent's yard hate.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Personally, if you want to play a Dimir graveyard-based deck in this format, I would be doing the Lazav Titan trick.

If you're not aware, the newest Lazav copies creatures in your graveyard based on their converted mana cost, and the Titans Uro and Kroxa are 3 and 2 mana 6/6s with powerful effects that die when you cast them normally. Lazav can copy them when they're in the graveyard, won't die because he's already on the battlefield, and now you have a 6/6 that still has all those powerful effects.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ungulateman posted:

If you're not aware, the newest Lazav copies creatures in your graveyard based on their converted mana cost, and the Titans Uro and Kroxa are 3 and 2 mana 6/6s with powerful effects that die when you cast them normally. Lazav can copy them when they're in the graveyard, won't die because he's already on the battlefield, and now you have a 6/6 that still has all those powerful effects.

I made this deck and it's fun. Sometimes you live the dream and mill off the titan with Lazav on turn 2 and get to just go hog bonkers.

There's also a fun interaction with Nightmare Shepard where if you have more Titans than you know what to do with you can drop it, use Shepard on the stillborn trigger, and then get an extra ETB trigger (at the cost of exiling it).

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Dumb point, but Player Tours are kinda a different beast from as Pro Tours, as, for one, they're regional.

ehhhh, that just means we've had 3 in short order.

There's no requirement to play in a given Player Tour based on your home region or anything, there were a few players showing up in Europe, either because they thought it would be a nice holiday, or because they reckoned (wrongly) that it might be a softer field.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mehall posted:

ehhhh, that just means we've had 3 in short order.

There's no requirement to play in a given Player Tour based on your home region or anything, there were a few players showing up in Europe, either because they thought it would be a nice holiday, or because they reckoned (wrongly) that it might be a softer field.

You are gonna end up with less of the top players in any given PT.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Well pioneer is really kicking sales in gear. I moved 4K in pioneer cards in the last 7 days.

I am moving modern cards one at time. Makes you think.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Speaking personally, I’m having way more fun with Pioneer than Modern right now, but I’m still in the honeymoon period. I like seeing cards I haven’t seen in a while, and I enjoy how less stressful the game is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought all the cards for Orzhov pants I’m gonna play a 60 paper deck for the first time in years because Pioneer seems like a format I could feasibly participate in because it’s not solved yet.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I imagine most people interested in modern are already bought in. Pioneer is still new and a lot of people were waiting for the bans to slow down to research a deck they like and build it.

Modern also feels like it has much less of a future and pioneer will be the non-rotating format of choice for people coming from Arena, especially if it gets incorporated there at some point.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
It def blows that modern is probably dying since there’s a lot of money and time invested across a wide spectrum of folks. I’m not sure how much I’ll update my deck going forward

Got friends who are a little salty about building pioneer decks right now but considering the cost of some of the decks rn, I don’t blame them. Not insanely accessible but it’s the nonrotating format of choice going forward for wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just ban everything from mh and modern is good again