Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can you make maneater hybrids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Isaac posted:

Can you make maneater hybrids

Likely not... They just grow up and after a certain point a mob pops out. But that is a seriously great idea.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
Except the second the AI has a suspicion of you growing maneaters, they permanently lock you down in botany, softlocking you in there for the rest of the round.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SnotGrumble posted:

Except the second the AI has a suspicion of you growing maneaters, they permanently lock you down in botany, softlocking you in there for the rest of the round.

Only a boring AI. A good AI just politely asks the botanist to be careful and report outbreaks.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Don't grow maneaters in botany, They're pretty low maintenance besides the FLESH required. Hybridize some quivering contusine with some tomatoes and throw them at people to paralyze them than drag 'em away to feed me seymore

Don't grow killer tomatoes in Botany either. Drag the pot around full of potash, saltpeter, ammonia on top of regular water and fertilizer to up all the major stats, than once you incapacitate someone harvest it and watch the flood of mobs devour them before they can do anything about it. If someone tries to get at you, harvest it, if you wanna run, more tomatoes. They're like a smokescreen that eats people while you chainsaw anyone you please. If you let 'em soak and keep the chems up to them you can get dozens of yields with twenty killers a piece.

Hell if the AI locks you down you got everything you need in Botany to blow the door, walls or anything you want right up. If the AI locks you up thats called ~extra prep time~

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 25, 2020

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

After you've finished preparing, blast open the doors and release your children upon the station like Poison Ivy walking out of Arkham Asylum.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

SnotGrumble posted:

Solution: make a Tool Tree that grows organic, single-use wire cutters, wrenches, and other tools. Hybridize it with the Maneater to make a Toolbox Plant that eats tools and beats people unconscious with its head to rummage through their pockets for more tools to eat.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 25, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Plastik posted:

Solution: make a Tool Tree that grows organic, single-use wire cutters, wrenches, and other tools. Hybridize it with the Maneater to make a Toolbox Plant that eats tools and beats people unconscious with its head to rummage through their pockets for more tools to eat.

Isn't that just a staff assistant?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Seething tomatoes are your skeleton key. They're pretty lovely as bombs go but no staff assistant can whip up a produce sack full of soda can bombs and carry it with them so yaknow, swings and roundabouts.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
There should be a seed that grows monkeys

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
MONKEYS THAT EXPLODE.... Or just generate electrical arcs in the petawatt range.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Isaac posted:

There should be a seed that grows monkeys

Actually this though. Would be way cooler and make at least as much sense as the valuchimp.

I shudder to imagine what a high endurance high potency monkey is like tho.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was going to make a joke about growing staff assistant npcs that steal everything but i realised thats just monkeys

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

An alien seed should let me grow power cells

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
There is the monkey plant already buy as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything. Maybe I'm wrong...

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheDK posted:

There is the monkey plant already buy as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything. Maybe I'm wrong...

It screams. That's something.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Motherfucker posted:

An alien seed should let me grow power cells

Take a page out of Roadside Picnic with the self-replicating power cells (Spacells) that grow and divide under the right conditions.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Exploding watermelons are on one hand the worst thing due to how easy it is to make and grief with them, but on the other still hilarious to trick people into eating just by leaving them out in the open.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ChaseSP posted:

Exploding watermelons are on one hand the worst thing due to how easy it is to make and grief with them, but on the other still hilarious to trick people into eating just by leaving them out in the open.

Put a note next to them warning people they explode.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ChaseSP posted:

Everyone expects the Scientists to be mad scientists, it's practically in the job description.

Botany being run by loving supervillains? That's one of those things new players never see coming.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Mors Rattus posted:

Put a note next to them warning people they explode.

leaving a piece of paper with "DONT TOUCH THIS" written on it next to your Very Deadly Item is the best legal defense for a staff assistant :colbert:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
One time, a botanist left a huge pile of explosive watermelons in the bar. A small crowd gathered around it, talking about how dumb the botanists were and how no one would fall for that when an NPC mouse walked up and ate one.

There were no survivors.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Inadequately posted:

One time, a botanist left a huge pile of explosive watermelons in the bar. A small crowd gathered around it, talking about how dumb the botanists were and how no one would fall for that when an NPC mouse walked up and ate one.

There were no survivors.

:allears:

i love this stupid game

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Most times i make explosive bananas someone will walk in and eat one standing on a pile setting off a chain reaction that removes all the air and limbs from the room

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Inadequately posted:

There were no survivors.

That was probably a player mouse -- that is, a ghost critter -- since normal station animals are just objects and not mobs (and thus don't do things like handle chemicals/eating).

That being said, I spent way too long yesterday making this instead of actually watching the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zSdVaCHpBQ

UrsulaMajor
Nov 26, 2019

H

Zamujasa posted:

That was probably a player mouse -- that is, a ghost critter -- since normal station animals are just objects and not mobs (and thus don't do things like handle chemicals/eating).

That being said, I spent way too long yesterday making this instead of actually watching the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zSdVaCHpBQ

Bears testing, but potassium bomb fruits explode whenever they get any sort of update, such as having their reagent amounts depleted. I think that it could still have maybe been a critter mouse instead of a player mouse if them taking a bite caused the fruit to "realize" it should be exploding right now.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A little known fact but hydroponics is actually the most actual science that goes on in the station via experimenting the quantum state of fruit and vegetables. But most of the time they just smoke lots of weed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To be fair, sometimes it's quantum weed.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Schrodinger’s Phat Rips

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

This is a peanut that contains as much sugar as ten chocolate cakes.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Victory Position posted:

This is a peanut that contains as much sugar as ten chocolate cakes.

God yeah, you've never known true awe until you've picked up and eaten a seemingly ordinary peanut, only to instantly plunge into a coma while vibrating madly and suffering endless seizures and heart attacks (yet somehow never actually feeling the merciful embrace of death).

Exploding produce is one thing, but hell peanuts are some Marquis de Sade poo poo.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Its not to difficult to literally drown half the station in blood with just a few synthmeat plants

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Looks like Unitystation just started an open alpha

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Macintosh HD posted:

Looks like Unitystation just started an open alpha

What's Unity Station?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A space station 13 port into Unity.

Edit: streamer streamed it a bit last night and fiddled around with it with his viewers. I think unity station folks joined later on? Check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam/v/549052347?sr=a&t=15214s

Artificer fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 9, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Artificer posted:

A space station 13 port into Unity.

Edit: streamer streamed it a bit last night and fiddled around with it with his viewers. I think unity station folks joined later on? Check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam/v/549052347?sr=a&t=15214s

it runs disturbingly smoothly

e: also the hop gets a dog, and a poster of a dog

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can’t wait for the goonport. Is this project open source?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Can’t wait for the goonport. Is this project open source?

It is. My experience playing it right now is that most rounds last about a minute tops before somebody blows the entire station up but it IS really smooth until that happens.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
it seems to work decently well, but there aren't any round mechanics in there yet. i hope this opens ups some competition between the ss14 guys and the unitystation guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Yeah, it doesn't really matter what happens on the servers at this point so long as the performance is good and the code is open source. No one playing this right now is really taking it seriously.