Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

We had a radiological canister show up in the hospital rehab-gym once, some transport person left it in the pocket on the back of this wheel chair...so the tech pulls this thing out, is like "what is this???", and it's like a tungsten tube with radioactive hazard symbols on it...I'm like "DROP AND RUN!" and I get really freaked out, trying to argue with people to leave the gym right loving now. Turns out it was whatever they use to house dyes for nuclear stress tests or something...then the tech went ahead and cracked it open and it was empty. I had just read that story from Brazil about those dudes taking apart that chemo machine and I freaked the hell out (thanks chemistry thread).

kinda similar to this but longer and narrower, scared the hell out of me.

In their case, not playing with the stuff glowing blue wouldve been a good plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

I’m a stick in the mud who wouldn’t even use the biological or radiological hazard symbols for decorative purposes, but I have to say that that would make a neat keychain.

Problematic, but neat.

Don’t let that distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer’s table.

I used to watch wwf pay perviews with my brothers and cousins and stuff for the longest time in the early 2000s and we used to take bets on which match the mexican announcer's table would get smashed.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

stump collector posted:

Home grown OSHA. I imagine this is going to be some nightmare fuel for me as the full story comes out.

I saw someone lose half the skin on their hand when they put it down on a transfer plate at UPS. It wasn't ripped off per se but it took enough damage that it had to be excised and skin grafted.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I saw someone lose half the skin on their hand when they put it down on a transfer plate at UPS. It wasn't ripped off per se but it took enough damage that it had to be excised and skin grafted.

A lot of people, myself included, are triggered by eye injuries.

I'm also super duper triggered by hand injuries :ohdear: Not enough to avoid threads like this, but holy poo poo, nightmare fuel. I rented from a married couple for a while, and they both had tattooed wedding rings. She worked in a microbiology lab, and he was a carpenter, so neither of their professions let them wear rings. I understood why you're not allowed to wear jewelry in the lab because I'm a former lab rat myself, but I had to ask what was so dangerous about rings and carpentry.

He showed me a bunch of photos of degloved fingats :v: Welp. That explained it right quick.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It's good to know I'm not the only one made super uncomfortable by hand injuries. Just yesterday my spouse's palm got scratched by one of our cats and I could barely help them take care of it. It's better than it used to be, but just the idea of my hand bleeding can cause a panic attack some days. Watching The Shape of Water in theaters was real rough.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

A lot of people, myself included, are triggered by eye injuries.

I'm also super duper triggered by hand injuries :ohdear: Not enough to avoid threads like this, but holy poo poo, nightmare fuel. I rented from a married couple for a while, and they both had tattooed wedding rings. She worked in a microbiology lab, and he was a carpenter, so neither of their professions let them wear rings. I understood why you're not allowed to wear jewelry in the lab because I'm a former lab rat myself, but I had to ask what was so dangerous about rings and carpentry.

He showed me a bunch of photos of degloved fingats :v: Welp. That explained it right quick.

Eye injuries ughhhhh.

Eyes in general are the one thing that grosses me out. No, I don't watch to close ups of eyeballs, I definitely don't want to see people touch their eyeballs, nor do I want to see horrific things happen to them.

I also refuse to wear contacts and wear glasses instead.

Got a small shard of metal stuck in my eye when I was like 15, pretty sure that is what started the whole thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't have a particular aversion to eye or hand injuries, although I am careful about my own. I'm super careful in caring for my contacts, and apparently do well enough with it that optomerists have told me they wouldn't know I wear contacts if they were just going from examining my eyes.

That said, I tend to get a little shudder whenever I read "degloved." It's such an innocuous-looking term until you know what it means.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Is there a peg or flattened surface or something to prevent that from rolling in case it's dropped?

stump collector posted:

Home grown OSHA. I imagine this is going to be some nightmare fuel for me as the full story comes out.

I suspect it's one of those sorting belts that got jammed and they told someone to unclog it without turning off the machines, and that guy didn't have a detachable prosthetic leg that they could collect after the machine grabbed it and yanked it clear through

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Mistle posted:

Is there a peg or flattened surface or something to prevent that from rolling in case it's dropped?

Pretty sure OSHA requires a flared base at least.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wasabi the J posted:

Strange, I thought Russians were usually on the giving end of air disasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwLiBBQouLY

lol this dork

He calls the operators' actions the ultimate cause. The ultimate cause was cheap, insufficient cables, with cheap, insufficient maintenance. The proximate cause was the actions of the operators, which was likely motivated by fear for their jobs if they made a wrong call.

He also says that the addition of an E stop on the enable panel makes the accident impossible to repeat. If the ride still automatically drops at the top instead of waiting for a command to release, then no, the addition of another emergency stop button does not prevent this from happening again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't have a particular aversion to eye or hand injuries, although I am careful about my own. I'm super careful in caring for my contacts, and apparently do well enough with it that optomerists have told me they wouldn't know I wear contacts if they were just going from examining my eyes.

That said, I tend to get a little shudder whenever I read "degloved." It's such an innocuous-looking term until you know what it means.

That's what Arnie did in Terminator 2, right? Takes his glove off?

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
I was climbing a ladder recently and I thought, "what would the OSHA IV thread do?" and immediately took off my ring. I'm not degloving myself, no sir!

In recent gross news, a boil burst on one of the animals necks. It's a giant pus filled boil about 2cm in diameter and just as tall. Cleaning that was nasty. Blood is fine. Purulent discharge? Ew no thanks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

kimihia posted:

In recent gross news, a boil burst on one of the animals necks. It's a giant pus filled boil about 2cm in diameter and just as tall. Cleaning that was nasty. Blood is fine. Purulent discharge? Ew no thanks.

With those you film them and put them on YouTube and get a million views

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/h3u4fvF.mp4

I feel like this guy saved the city a lawsuit if it was that easy to dislodge them.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/h3u4fvF.mp4

I feel like this guy saved the city a lawsuit if it was that easy to dislodge them.

Can you sue the city in China?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Yeah , is it not conceivable that there are circumstances in which cutting the power semi‐permanently is not the right move?

We saw here that the restraints could not be opened till maintenance arrived and overrode it. That’s bad.

It seems to me that the major problem here, other than the maintenance on that cable, is that the ride defaulted to dropping after ten seconds.

The E‐stop button could have been pressed during that countdown, but perhaps a dead‐mans switch would be a better solution. When it’s not depressed, don’t let the ride move either up or down, and don’t lock out the power for good.

One thing you learn when going to Disney and Universal theme parks a lot is just how much safer and more competent they are with their ride design than common amusement parks. Every ride that doesn't give the operators full view of what's going on (especially dark rides) has tons of night vision security cameras so they can watch the ride vehicles at all points, and there's countless sensors and other automatic safety features that will immediately stop the entire ride if someone jumps out or drops a large enough item into a dangerous position (like dropping a camera onto the track). They have virtually unlimited resources from a theme park perspective, so they can afford to be this kind of excessive at the cost of more maintenance and a higher risk of stoppages.

On the contrary, at Six Flags in Georgia I once saw a boat on Monster Mansion get overloaded with obese guests to the point that it sank as soon as it left the loading ramp and got stuck. As soon as they got the passengers off, they just restarted the ride. I also saw a kid bounce his basketball into the out-of-service vehicle area on the Hanson Cars and just run right across the track to get it without anyone seeming to even notice.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

In Soviet China the city sues you!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7952101/Chain-reaction-200-concrete-pillars-topple-like-dominoes-tourist-kicks-one-over.html
I saw an article where it stated that police found one guy and was looking for another one :v:

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I've debated working at a local theme park as a mechanic just as a fun summer job for a year, but then I think about the inevitable 'whaddya mean we're all out of [correct part]? Well fine just go to the hardware store and get [unapproved part]. The ride must go on!' and I realize that I don't want to be near that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MF_James posted:

Got a small shard of metal stuck in my eye when I was like 15, pretty sure that is what started the whole thing.

:same: except it was running eye-first into a tree branch (a tiny one, so I just had to wear a patch for a few days). No contacts or LASIK for me, I'm gonna die wearing glasses

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

AntherUslessPoster posted:

In Soviet China the city sues you!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7952101/Chain-reaction-200-concrete-pillars-topple-like-dominoes-tourist-kicks-one-over.html
I saw an article where it stated that police found one guy and was looking for another one :v:

well rip that guy

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

well rip that guy

215 pillars went in? There's only like two dozen in the video. I'm mad we don't get to see the whole thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
This is maybe better (maybe not because Tesla lol) than the equivalent gas station flooded out but it looks funny so I don't want to hear it.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

More like the equivalent of pumping gas while standing on hot coals.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

If the water is high enough to touch the frame you don't even have to get out of your Tesla to charge her up!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

If you pump gas over hot coals, you're going to ruin your day. If you wash gasoline into the water table, that's going to ruin a lot of people's day.

There are systems that keep the gas in the gas lines and electricity in the electrical lines even when flooded but you're left hoping those are working right.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

the whole lot is a wireless charging pad, musk really is the biggest genius of our generation

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

chitoryu12 posted:

One thing you learn when going to Disney and Universal theme parks a lot is just how much safer and more competent they are with their ride design than common amusement parks. Every ride that doesn't give the operators full view of what's going on (especially dark rides) has tons of night vision security cameras so they can watch the ride vehicles at all points, and there's countless sensors and other automatic safety features that will immediately stop the entire ride if someone jumps out or drops a large enough item into a dangerous position (like dropping a camera onto the track). They have virtually unlimited resources from a theme park perspective, so they can afford to be this kind of excessive at the cost of more maintenance and a higher risk of stoppages.

On the contrary, at Six Flags in Georgia I once saw a boat on Monster Mansion get overloaded with obese guests to the point that it sank as soon as it left the loading ramp and got stuck. As soon as they got the passengers off, they just restarted the ride. I also saw a kid bounce his basketball into the out-of-service vehicle area on the Hanson Cars and just run right across the track to get it without anyone seeming to even notice.

Disney has its fair share of preventable accidents too. Like the person who died because a poorly maintained metal cleat on the sailing ship ripped out and struck them. Or the person who died when the poorly maintained Big Thunder derailed. Or the kid who died when they fell out of the Roger Rabbit ride and were run over by another car. Or the cast member killed by a rotating theater. Or the two people killed by the people mover.

I can keep going...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wall Balls posted:

the whole lot is a wireless charging pad, musk really is the biggest genius of our generation

Flood all the streets and toy never need to stop to charge!

(something something electric train)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Disney has its fair share of preventable accidents too. Like the person who died because a poorly maintained metal cleat on the sailing ship ripped out and struck them. Or the person who died when the poorly maintained Big Thunder derailed. Or the kid who died when they fell out of the Roger Rabbit ride and were run over by another car. Or the cast member killed by a rotating theater. Or the two people killed by the people mover.

I can keep going...

Killed by the people mover? It goes like 3 miles per hour.

https://i.imgur.com/yiZdmJW.mp4

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Killed by the people mover? It goes like 3 miles per hour.

https://i.imgur.com/yiZdmJW.mp4

It happened often enough that cast members started calling it the people remover.

quote:

Disneyland’s People Mover had a maximum speed of 2 miles-per-hour. The ride’s seemingly harmless speed probably contributed to the fearlessness and carelessness that killed the following passengers.

On August 21, 1967, 17-year-old Ricky Lee Yama was crushed to death while riding on the People Mover. Ricky decided that he would jump in between two of the moving cars just as the ride was entering a tunnel. Sadly, he missed, fell onto the tracks and was run over by an oncoming train. The ride had to be taken apart to remove his body. On June 7, 1980, Gerardo Gonzales decided he would duplicate Yama’s fatal stunt. As the People Mover was entering the SuperSpeed Tunnel, Gonzales jumped between cars and fell onto the track. The oncoming train crushed Gonzales beneath its wheels and dragged his body a few hundred feet down the track before coming to a stop.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

:same: except it was running eye-first into a tree branch (a tiny one, so I just had to wear a patch for a few days). No contacts or LASIK for me, I'm gonna die wearing glasses

I worked in ophthalmology for nine years and this is incredibly common, especially among landscapers.

A few work comp cases I can recall, spoilered for the squeamish:

--guy who got shot in the head/face during a robbery and needed a bunch of reconstructive surgery
--cleaning person sprayed themself in the eye with some chemical which destroyed their contact lens and they had to get it removed in the office
--two ER workers who were assaulted by the same patient in the same incident and both ended up with traumatic cataracts
--lots of metal debris from welders and pipefitters
--roofer with a nail in his eye
--mechanic was airing up a tire and it burst, breaking his arm and putting several dozen tiny foreign bodies in his eyes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

No, but you can Tsu them.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

zedprime posted:

This is maybe better (maybe not because Tesla lol) than the equivalent gas station flooded out but it looks funny so I don't want to hear it.

Ah I see that the Tesla Boat is launching already.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, but you can Tsu them.

C'mon sun, not tsu too!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A high-speed train derailed in Italy the 6th.

https://mobile.twitter.com/emergenzavvf/status/1225327865304100864

Railway Gazette posted:

Having accelerated after joining the Milano – Bologna high speed line, the train was travelling at 292 km/h when it derailed at 05.34.

The leading vehicle left the tracks, separated from the rest of the train and overturned, striking a wagon in a siding before coming to rest facing the opposite way from the direction of travel about 400 m from the point where it had left the track. The driver and another member of railway staff travelling in the cab were killed in the multiple impacts.

The rest of the train continued in the direction of travel, remaining broadly in line but derailed. The second vehicle rolled over onto its side, while the remaining six cars remained upright. Fortunately the train was lightly loaded – apart from the driver and his colleague, three other staff were on board, along with 28 passengers, most of whom suffered only minor injuries.

It seems someone hosed up in a major way. It seems maintenance didn't follow procedure, but it also sounds incredibly irresponsible that the interlocking assumes everything is a-ok if you disconnect the point detectors.

Railway Gazette posted:

According to local media, initial investigations suggested that a facing turnout leading from the southbound high speed track into sidings used as an infrastructure maintenance base had been incorrectly set. One report added that this had not been detected by the train control system as the power supply to the turnout had been disconnected.
---
The Milano – Bologna line has been operating safely with ETCS Level 2 for more than a decade. This relies on the safety integrity of local interlockings and track occupancy detection to inform the control system. A key consideration for the investigators will be whether the Livraga interlocking was incorrectly reporting that all turnouts along the route were correctly set, locked and detected, allowing the ETCS to issue a movement authority for AV9595 to proceed at full speed with tragic consequences.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/high-speed/frecciarossa-1000-derails-at-high-speed/55737.article

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I worked in ophthalmology for nine years and this is incredibly common, especially among landscapers.

A few work comp cases I can recall, spoilered for the squeamish:

--lots of metal debris from welders and pipefitters

Half my job is making sure these guys get their eyes flushed before poo poo gets stuck and needs to get removed with a god drat drill. Wear your drat spoggles, people!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thanks for mentioning spoggles, I need those. I've been getting epoxy dust around the sides of my safety glasses when sanding.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Its a single cut, nothing bad will happen if I dont go back to office for the goggles...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwUas59VsAAFIdN.jpg

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stump collector posted:

That's a helluva user name and post combo.

All so not looking forward to the upcoming safety meetings where corporate tries to set us as the purple Gallant to the brown Goofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/rSTFaL1.mp4