Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Monathin posted:

Counterpoint: I have never known AA to read anything, as town or scum, in any capacity.

This looks like trying to clear someone you already knew is town.

##vote MegaZeroX

This is a serious vote, by the by.

I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Monathin posted:

Again, but with greater intensity: :thunk:

AA was town in 3 of the games. AA was SK in one. This AA feels like the former rather than the latter.

Why is this so weird? This is what made me susp of Hum in Fate Soldiers mafia. Hum is one of the people I've played with the most, so I was able to read them well. Basically all my bad reads were from people I've barely played with (Sandwolf died d1 in one game, and the other I was dead and wasn't paying too close attention).

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Monathin posted:

Counterpoint: I have never known AA to read anything, as town or scum, in any capacity.

This looks like trying to clear someone you already knew is town.

##vote MegaZeroX

This is a serious vote, by the by.

I just had the biggest laugh lol. I read everything... eventually.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Mega, date me already, geez!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

To everyone that has played with me before, I literally always act confident in my reads. I often get lots of reads d1, that may or may not be accurate. IMO, my reads are decent enough with people I've played multiple games with, and bad with those I've never played with before.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Mega, date me already, geez!

I gotta make up for that game where I was exe with you as a target obviously.

And the fact that we are at odds in Toal's current game

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

MegaZeroX posted:

To everyone that has played with me before, I literally always act confident in my reads. I often get lots of reads d1, that may or may not be accurate. IMO, my reads are decent enough with people I've played multiple games with, and bad with those I've never played with before.

This does seem accurate.

But, you didn't make a D1 post deeply analyzing the mechanics here like you did in our last game where you were town. :)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

man I've been on discord so long I forgot how much I love the thunk face

but anyway stop mentioning active games you fools

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

King Burgundy posted:

This does seem accurate.

But, you didn't make a D1 post deeply analyzing the mechanics here like you did in our last game where you were town. :)

yeah I tried doing a shitpost with that in my other game but then I learned that Amni just votes for shitposters so I stopped doing that.

At any rate, I have to wonder if I've become the new Steak.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MegaZeroX posted:

yeah I tried doing a shitpost with that in my other game but then I learned that Amni just votes for shitposters so I stopped doing that.

Why are you worried about that? In the previous game you got a lot of credit for getting everyone to focus so early on.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

MegaZeroX posted:

Pretty sure you can shitpost without scum claiming...

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm not sure why you are comparing it to a poo poo post. That post was super important and stopped joke phase from happening in the last soldiers.

Also, this is weirdly self conscious. Why do you care what Amni votes for?

##vote Mega

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

MegaZeroX posted:

AA was town in 3 of the games. AA was SK in one. This AA feels like the former rather than the latter.

Why is this so weird? This is what made me susp of Hum in Fate Soldiers mafia. Hum is one of the people I've played with the most, so I was able to read them well. Basically all my bad reads were from people I've barely played with (Sandwolf died d1 in one game, and the other I was dead and wasn't paying too close attention).

Any reads besides AA?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So I'm going to put my inexperience a bit out there a bit (only played in one other Mafia game here ((shine vi)) and no I don't count pera No, as much a fun mess as that was) but is the read here a meta read off of another meta read? Just want to make sure I've got that correct.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

For me its mega pretending my removal of a vote from solus for having a meta defense on claiming scum is a scum tell, followed by how much they are flailing when pressure is applied.

I realize I'm not voting but consider my vote there. Dont want to rush a cuddle until we have all the day 1 information from setup we are going to get.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Building Project information has its own new channel in discord. I will make it pretty later but it’s all there. I’ll post some FAQ stuff about the projects there as well, and you can ask any questions in your confessionals.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Someone not a on a phone copy paste the channel here so I can more easily quote it?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MASONRY
Dirt Block Walls - Reduce progress damage to all projects by 10%
Oaken Clubs/Cypress Sticks - improve the melee weapon trait for all players that have it

CARPENTRY
Actual Doors Made of Wood - The Builder assigns a 1-shot jail, and a 1-shot ability to prevent project damage.
Oh Arrows are supposed to be sharp? - improve the ranged weapon trait for all players that have it

TINKERING
Fire Shot - The Builder assigns three 1-shot ooc abilities to deal damage into combat
Strategically placed rocks - advance the Heavy Armor trait for all players that have it

WEAVING
Actual medicinal herbs instead of placebos and hope - The town healer has their ability improved to restore more health
Preemptive Bandaging - improve the Light Armor trait for all players that have it

SOOTHSAYING
Soothseer Project:
Find the Banner of Hope - Restore the Light of Rubiss to the Castle. Strengthens the Builder.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Arrows ARE supposed to be sharp!

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

So...my vote is either we pick 3 toensure we get, or spread out a lot and bank on round 1 upgrades taking 2-3 people to finish in 1 night.

If we pick 3 my votes are soothsayer, walls and melee weapons.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I feel like combat focused stuff is helpful, as it might make it easier to root out scum based on successes/failures in combat, if we're a loaded squad.

I'd say weapons, armor, medicine, drat the rest! Throw everything else into a big pile of POOP

Unless you're good at those idk.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like finding the banner should be priority so that we can buff the builder as soon as possible

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

CCKeane posted:

I feel like combat focused stuff is helpful, as it might make it easier to root out scum based on successes/failures in combat, if we're a loaded squad.

I'd say weapons, armor, medicine, drat the rest! Throw everything else into a big pile of POOP

Unless you're good at those idk.

I think the downside to this is that I presume scum probably also benefits from upgrades, so it might also make scum more dangerous if one of them is in combat? Then again I don't know how scum would be tuned this game compared to Shine V and Fate/.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like finding the banner should be priority so that we can buff the builder as soon as possible

Agreed. One of our paths to victory is finding the rainbow drop, and I suspect that is the final step of the soothsayer build path.

Plus, if builder is buffed, less chance of us losing them in combat.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I’ve had a few people ask so I’ll post it here too. Building is a secret day action. All players give me their selected project by the end of the day in their confessional or another private manner, and it is magically assumed you spent the entire day working on it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I asked Mithross and he confirmed that I can build an electric butt that poops for me as long as it's on my own time so I recommend we all rush this tree.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Mithross posted:

I’ve had a few people ask so I’ll post it here too. Building is a secret day action. All players give me their selected project by the end of the day in their confessional or another private manner, and it is magically assumed you spent the entire day working on it.

Is hammer the deadline to select your project? I know you said day action, I just want to be 100% sure so we don't have people miss it due to a misunderstanding.

(Also you should put that in the OP.)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

Is hammer the deadline to select your project? I know you said day action, I just want to be 100% sure so we don't have people miss it due to a misunderstanding.

(Also you should put that in the OP.)

Some of it is there but that whole OP needs a rework for clarity.

Hammer is deadline for building as long as it happens within 12 hours of deadline. If hammer happens before that there will be a grace period.

Anyone who hasn’t submitted on time will be openly assigned to a random project in thread (it will be announced they were random, not where they went)

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Amnistar posted:

So...my vote is either we pick 3 toensure we get, or spread out a lot and bank on round 1 upgrades taking 2-3 people to finish in 1 night.

If we pick 3 my votes are soothsayer, walls and melee weapons.

We can only do 1 masonry project at a time.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

charms posted:

We can only do 1 masonry project at a time.

Good catch, in that case I would favor walls over swords for long term benefits and instead do healing as the 3rd project.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Monathin posted:

I think the downside to this is that I presume scum probably also benefits from upgrades, so it might also make scum more dangerous if one of them is in combat? Then again I don't know how scum would be tuned this game compared to Shine V and Fate/.

yeah, a lot of these say it buffs everyone with the relevant trait. So focusing more on buffing the builder sounds good since they're guaranteed to always be in battle after reveal, and they're guaranteed to be super loving important.

Amnistar posted:

Agreed. One of our paths to victory is finding the rainbow drop, and I suspect that is the final step of the soothsayer build path.

Plus, if builder is buffed, less chance of us losing them in combat.

I agree with all this.

If anyone has one clear super skill, I'd say stick to those to stay efficient, and then that'll naturally spread us out a bit but if you're unsure about one path being super obvious for you maybe stick to seer stuff.

The next main thing to discuss is simply choosing the best option to focus on in the categories. I'll put this in a new post once I funkiest thinking them over.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I'm average or below average at all but one of myskills which is just ????.

I can help out wherever we are lacking.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

MASONRY
Dirt Block Walls - Reduce progress damage to all projects by 10%
Oaken Clubs/Cypress Sticks - improve the melee weapon trait for all players that have it

CARPENTRY
Actual Doors Made of Wood - The Builder assigns a 1-shot jail, and a 1-shot ability to prevent project damage.
Oh Arrows are supposed to be sharp? - improve the ranged weapon trait for all players that have it

TINKERING
Fire Shot - The Builder assigns three 1-shot ooc abilities to deal damage into combat
Strategically placed rocks - advance the Heavy Armor trait for all players that have it

WEAVING
Actual medicinal herbs instead of placebos and hope - The town healer has their ability improved to restore more health
Preemptive Bandaging - improve the Light Armor trait for all players that have it

Ok so for masonry, improving the walls to defend our progress overall sounds better than buffing all people with melee weapons.

For carpentry, those oneshot abilities sound like a cool path.

For tinkering, Fire Shot sounds cool since it lets even people outside combat wail on things... but now that I'm thinking about it, buffing armor isn't really a danger when it comes to worrying about scum getting the buffs. If we want to take out someone we think is scum, we're not gonna waste our combat moves attacking them instead of the monsters and trying to kill em off in battle and wishing their armor was worse. We're gonna lunch em. Buffing the different armor types sounds like good strategy since it will help survivability for the whole town including the Builder.

For weaving, herbs would sound good for helping just the town healer... but who knows how long this single person will be with us. Light Armor sounds better for all the reasons above.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

Ok so for masonry, improving the walls to defend our progress overall sounds better than buffing all people with melee weapons.

For carpentry, those oneshot abilities sound like a cool path.

For tinkering, Fire Shot sounds cool since it lets even people outside combat wail on things... but now that I'm thinking about it, buffing armor isn't really a danger when it comes to worrying about scum getting the buffs. If we want to take out someone we think is scum, we're not gonna waste our combat moves attacking them instead of the monsters and trying to kill em off in battle and wishing their armor was worse. We're gonna lunch em. Buffing the different armor types sounds like good strategy since it will help survivability for the whole town including the Builder.

For weaving, herbs would sound good for helping just the town healer... but who knows how long this single person will be with us. Light Armor sounds better for all the reasons above.

I agree on walls and one shots.

I disagree on the other two. We have no idea how many people have those specific traits. Whereas the Fire Shot and herbs seems like they would be useful regardless? Unless I am missing something.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Now that know building and combat are not mutually exclusive, we should probably revisit our combat stances.

Do I want to be in combat: No, but I would be good if placed there.
Preferred Location: Front Row.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Also. Should we maybe reveal our planned building in thread?

It feels like if we tracked what everyone said they would be doing, we can catch scum based on lack of progress on things?

It won't be super cut and dried at first, but it feels like something that would let us catch scum pretty well looking back at things after a few days.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, I'm with Amnistar here. I thought it'd be a "Builder picks who does what" thing, but maybe that's combat? I'm bad at Soldiers.

Anyways, in the claim territory, my Faith is (I assume) pretty good, so I'm gonna focus on helping out with Sooth stuff and hope that helps. I can also do Carpentry pretty okay (hence my earlier breadcrumb before everyone just started claiming openly), but I'll focus where I think I'm good unless I get confirmation otherwise.

I have no metric for how good or bad my health is, but given my abilities, I'm probably mediocre at both kinds of combat with a slight edge in ranged.

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!
Interesting, I actually disagree with researching the one-shots because it relies on the Builder to pick right. If town gets the one-shots great, if scum does it could be bad. The guaranteed upgrades help in a more general sense IMO

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

I agree on walls and one shots.

I disagree on the other two. We have no idea how many people have those specific traits. Whereas the Fire Shot and herbs seems like they would be useful regardless? Unless I am missing something.

we might not know how many people have the traits, but "THE town healer" sounds pretty singular to me.

I'd imagine that almost everyone is one or the other? Either you have the heavy armor trait or the light armor trait? Unless you're some super squishy mage who has like, no armor at all. But I don't imagine that's the case for the builder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

King Burgundy posted:

I think Fire Shot vs Heavy Armor is pretty much a judgement call right now. They both sound incredibly useful, but it depends on how strong the Fire Shot is and also how effective armor is (and also what it does).

Meanwhile Herbs vs Light Armor is less grey. I'd be more inclined to go for Light Armor, since that helps people in general. Herbs is great for the doctor, but it's heavily implied in the Herbs description that we have one doc. If they ever get lunched or otherwise die early, those upgrades are effectively wasted. Herbs is potentially great short-term, whereas Armor will almost always be useful in some way.