Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

The wrong pile of Junka tapes won that last episode. Frauds.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I barely remember Endgame apart from how uninteresting the outcome was.

Said before but the narrative is bad. They kill the bad guy with no effort, then may as well concoct a plan to go back in time and put his mom on birth control, just because revengeance. Mix with lots of memberberries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty funny how they murder Thanos easily very early in the movie.

That and Black Widow/Arrow Guy's fight to see who can commit suicide faster are pretty funny.

I don't remember much else about Endgame. Captain America gets Thor's hammer and then gets old as gently caress, and Tony Stark dies. Anything else? It was like 4 hours long wasn't it?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Batman V Superman evoked the frequently-felt emotion of "I've wasted my money on this garbage"

Ah, that's fair. I see movies for free so I get to avoid that feeling. I imagine it'd be at the forefront of my mind most of the time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Randarkman posted:

Yeah. It also totally deserved the ones it got though.

Definitely. And it should have gotten Best Picture, too. It did get editing which in hindsight it deserved to the nth degree.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M39zY9OXFA&t=1627s

quote:

AIR DEV
4 days ago
Mark Dice is from Milkwaukee as well , that place seems to be the reverse California. Crappy area that breeds smart people.

38 likes

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 11, 2020

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

lol if you didnt wear a stadium buddy or piss in a giant bucket so that you didnt miss a single moment of endgame. i flipped out my lil wangus and just pissed in a bucket without removing my eyes from the screen or even blinking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just held it and ruptured my bladder, totes worth it though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They put in a built in bathroom break. It was the part with <insert character you like, or don't like- whatever would most amuse/aggravate you, the post's reader>

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hackers film 1995 posted:

lol if you didnt wear a stadium buddy or piss in a giant bucket so that you didnt miss a single moment of endgame. i flipped out my lil wangus and just pissed in a bucket without removing my eyes from the screen or even blinking.

legend:thumbsup:

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

FYI it really is not worth seeing how bad the prequel discussion is so please save your click. Not even kidding the last few pages were "I refuse to read that post so I demand someone tell me that post says, checkmate chuds."

PostNouveau posted:

I don't remember much else about Endgame. Captain America gets Thor's hammer and then gets old as gently caress, and Tony Stark dies. Anything else? It was like 4 hours long wasn't it?

I hear-tell one guy punched another guy in the chest, possibly even about the head and neck, in some special effects shots.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I rewatched the beginning of the first Junka episode. It's amazing. The Culk episode didn't reach the same levels of tension towards the end.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Moola posted:

it might be the worst thread on the forums right now

Cease to Hope posted:

authorial intent isn't everything, but a lot of these interpretations rely on presuming that many, many things that are plainly presented as factual are only treated that way for ironic effect

josh04 posted:

There is no difference between presenting something as "factual" and presenting something as "ironic". That's a constructed reading in either sense.

Cease to Hope posted:

this is like a parody of postmodern thought

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

absolutely indistinguishable from CineD

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

absolutely indistinguishable from CineD

This is why this is the only good Star Wars thread. When things start getting intolerable we can change the subject to Star Trek.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

On the scale of "memorability" or "evoking emotion", DC movies are leagues better than Marvel movies.

Someone's always gotta try and be Mike

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

the prequel thread is magical.

PostNouveau posted:

Thor played Fortnite and the girl power moment that should disqualify it from any Oscars.

e: i remember michael douglas' head badly composited in there somewhere?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The prequel thread would cause my brain to leak from my ears.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

revwinnebago posted:

The wrong pile of Junka tapes won that last episode. Frauds.

I really did want to see how to build a haunted house.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

I think they mostly just kept going into scenes from previous movies all "hey remember this?"

which, to be fair, did provide some character beats, showing ways they've changed or giving closure or whatever, in a way that, actually works with their arc across the metanarrative in an interesting way I would say maybe 30% of the time?
the rest of the time they were like jokey joke or fun adventure stuff, or just didn't really work, like the two least important least interesting avengers fighting over who gets to nobly sacrifice themselves so the other one doesn't... wait, did they actually physically fight each other? am I remember that right? I can't even remember which one lived, and I specifically tried to remember that scene because it's when my friend went to the bathroom and I figured he might want to know (he didn't though)

weirdly, tony meeting his dad was one of the ones that just didn't really land. like was anybody moved by that scene? :/
it was nice letting rdj stretch his acting chops, he very much looked liked somebody overwhelmed with emotion and trying not to show it, but in terms of his character arc, it did like nothing. he completed his arc in iron man 1. then he completed a different arc in avengers 1. and that gave him another arc that he completed in iron man 3. and then he... uncompleted it, in ultron? and then just something completely loving irrelevant happened in civil war. and then he became like a flat mentor character for spider-man in homecoming and infinity war, but like, also with a weird inferiority complex thing with doctor strange, and now in this movie suddenly he's a dad, and he like, gets a quarter of a second to wrap up the thing with dr. strange. and also there's the scene with his dad. which, kind of, on the surface, nominally touches on themes of fatherhood or mentorship, but his problems in those areas were never really tied to his relationship with his dad, because they were supposed to do that in iron man 2, and they didn't, and then it came up in civil war but there wasn't really anything more to it than he was sad that his parents were dead. so there was no sense of closure, it was just something that happened.
you know what weirdly had a sense of closure? captain america whispering "hail hydra." steve rogers finally learning to be a little cynical, like a cub scout's first cuss word. it was a good joke, it subverted expectations in a way that didn't deny the audience something they wouldn't otherwise get to see, and it put a button on the character's well-established naïveté without compromising his fundamentally upstanding character- captain america is finally going to be okay in the modern world. lol psych

the intro before they get to the time travel was also really long,
just hanging out with the survivors in half-dead world five years on
"hey, what's jeremy renner up to? well, he has a mohawk and lives in japan now"

tbh the whole thing of characters just coping (or not coping) after an unnamed global disaster is a cool setting and I hope some day a Jeff Nichols or Robert Eggers type makes a plodding, pretentious art movie that nobody watches with a premise like that

Cubone fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 11, 2020

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I know they skipped tapes in the Junka episodes for the sake of extracting only the good, but it would be nice to know what was actually on the blank tapes.

Cubone posted:

but like, also with a weird inferiority complex thing with doctor strange

It's a small tidbit but I thoroughly enjoyed the two full-of-themselves characters bickering. It's always bugged me how characters like modern Tony Stark in movies are always made as the one and only person with an abrasive personality and everyone else goes with it and revolves around them. Seeing them meeting someone just as stubborn and kind of self centered is very refreshing.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 11, 2020

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Double posting like an idiot.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

lmao is Picard really only 5 Episodes this season? I still haven't made it passed Episode 1.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Tertius Oculum posted:

lmao is Picard really only 5 Episodes this season? I still haven't made it passed Episode 1.

It’s loving unwatchable just from the cinematography. I lasted 15 minutes.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I lasted 15 minutes.

longer than me, i came as soon as i saw Puffy Data

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

tbh the whole thing of characters just coping (or not coping) after an unnamed global disaster is a cool setting and I hope some day a Jeff Nichols or Robert Eggers type makes a plodding, pretentious art movie that nobody watches with a premise like that

Right, I did like that part. Too many people after Infinity War going "you know Thanos is right about overpopulation" led them to directly refute it with a long sequence that was like "gently caress you everything sucks when half of the people disappear it's a goddamn disaster"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tertius Oculum posted:

It's 10 episodes, and nothing has happened in the first 3 so still plenty of time to pick it up.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I like how the prequel guys are mostly adamantly defending the decision to have the Clone Troopers be all cartoons.

I don't really like how I'm participating in the thread myself

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Tertius Oculum posted:

hahaha really? nothing has happened so far its so god drat boring

e; I'm a dumb gay idiot

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

I like how the prequel guys are mostly adamantly defending the decision to have the Clone Troopers be all cartoons.

I don't really like how I'm participating in the thread myself

Cartoons are people. You're racist if you're against cartoons.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tertius Oculum posted:

its 10, they're just hiding details about the last 5 for some reason

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its 10, they're just hiding details about the last 5 for some reason

Picard dies in Episode 5. Soji takes up the Picard mantle and the rest of the series is about her.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
"Picards" are what they call the Jedi going forward, hence the title

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I only causally watch ST, why are those bad guys living inside a broken borg cube?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

I only causally watch ST, why are those bad guys living inside a broken borg cube?

the answer is the show is bad

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Cube broke, romulans found it, deconstructing it from the inside as a science experiment.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Cube broke, romulans found it, deconstructing it from the inside as a science experiment.

also hugh is the research president REMEMBER HUGH!?!?!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hugh was the highlight of the episode and I welcome any further appearances!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

this show is going to end with nexus-6 woman reactivating cube somehow and picard having to lead a giant fleet to fight it as it travels to earth

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think it's time we admit defeat to the borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's cool that when s*** w*** does things you remember, it's death star, millenium falcon, grand moff tarkin, AT-ST, and etc. When star trek does things you remember it's stuff like a borg cube from the dumpster and hugh