Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Pops Mgee posted:

Nothing in singleplayer has come close being as cool as a 4 man Krogan squad in bright pink suits all screaming and headbutting eachother between rounds.

I remember having a bunch of fun with Geth prime, krogan warlord (elemental hammer maniac) and Geth soldiers. Played so much drat multiplayer that the good ending was 100% just based on my special forces points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Galewolf posted:

You can't prove that Jesus wasn't a Salarian :colbert:

Salarians only live like 10 years it doesn't fit the timeline.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Pops Mgee posted:

Nothing in singleplayer has come close being as cool as a 4 man Krogan squad in bright pink suits all screaming and headbutting eachother between rounds.

I love how there was never a meme or any sort of discussion about that kind of thing, people just instinctively knew if you came in as a Krogan you must immediately and at every possible occasion headbutt the other players. I'm glad even random strangers on the Internet knew what had to be done.

For other things uplifting about humanity, I am also pleased that somebody looked at ME2 and came up with this Nicolas Cage mashup.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
ME 1 is the best game in the series.

But Xenosafa does Space Opera rpg with giant codex better.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I have the Paragon symbol tattooed on my left shoulder, and I'm.. not exactly proud, but not ashamed. Fortunately Andromeda got rid of the Paragon/Renegade mechanic so I don't have to associate it with that game.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

^Pff not renegade???
Just kidding, thats cool. Black or blue ink?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

SolarFire2 posted:

I have the Paragon symbol tattooed on my left shoulder, and I'm.. not exactly proud, but not ashamed. Fortunately Andromeda got rid of the Paragon/Renegade mechanic so I don't have to associate it with that game.

Every now and then I see people with N7 Hoodies and those are pretty cool.

Your tattoo sounds p. cool as well :shobon:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't know what N7 meant until like the end of the third game when a character says "oh my god... I've been asked to join the N7!" I guess it was in a codex somewhere

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Wild Horses posted:

^Pff not renegade???
Just kidding, thats cool. Black or blue ink?

Blue. The artist was a gamer himself and mixed a few different hues that I could pick from.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Galewolf posted:

Every now and then I see people with N7 Hoodies and those are pretty cool.

Your tattoo sounds p. cool as well :shobon:

As much as I wouldn't wear gameclothes, they're pretty sharp looking hoodies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

As much as I wouldn't wear gameclothes, they're pretty sharp looking hoodies.

i want an n7 hoodie but instead of n7 it's the alliance rank code for "extremely poo poo idiot"

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Jazerus posted:

i want an n7 hoodie but instead of n7 it's the alliance rank code for "extremely poo poo idiot"

I'm currently wearing my Andromeda hoodie. Does that count?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CaptainSkinny posted:

I'm currently wearing my Andromeda hoodie. Does that count?

It does.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

N-2

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sleeveless posted:

Also for comparison the entire Mass Effect trilogy came out in less time than it took to make a single new mainline Final Fantasy, Persona, or Elder Scrolls game during the same period of time so for all its faults it stuck its production and moved along at a smooth pace when most of its peers were falling victim to bloat and inefficiency and delays.

yeah as much as there's poo poo to groan about in ME, at least it's a series where i managed to complete and enjoy all three games (to varying degrees). i haven't even completed a FF since 10 and definitely didn't enjoy 12 or 13 (although i am recently into 14 and enjoying it a lot) and persona has always been a series for me that felt more interesting to read plot synopsis of than to actually play. i'd put elder scrolls on the same level of varying quality as ME but ME definitely put a lot better effort into making me care about the world and my npc friends and making everything engaging.

OTOH knowing what we know now about the game dev cycle, making that entire trilogy in that kind of timeframe must have been absolute hell for the devs. it's no wonder they had so much talent burn out over the course of the trilogy, moving at the pace that they were.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The behind the scenes labor drama is pretty fascinating, just complete talent churn with terrible retention outside of the top levels that continuously got worse. The wheels really came off during Anthem.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
By all accounts EA just ground Bioware into the ground to the point where nobody who worked on KOTOR and the earlier ME games even works there anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I watched The Ends again on a whim and lmao I can't believe I chose synthesis because it was the highest scoring ending it's objectively the wrong answer

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lol same. Destroy is the only right answer

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Destroy is the best one and what I did with my first character but picking control as a renegade was cool because your character uses the Reapers as her own personal army to ruthlessly enforce order in the galaxy

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Control is the best ending post extended cut. Destroy was fatally neutered to be happier than it should be, and synthesis is just weird and dumb. Though it does have the nice bit at the end where EDI is like "I am not alone". It would probably have been better as a terminator 2 style ambiguous but optimistic ending, since the whole point of it is that it's something the current paradigm can't really imagine

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like to think that in Control Shepard parks a reaper outside of the council chambers and has it honk every time one of the councilors stars talking

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Never saw the Control ending.

What color was the light beam?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poisonpill posted:

Never saw the Control ending.

What color was the light beam?

blue

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Eh, I prefer red.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I wonder if anyone at Bioware had Deus Ex in mind when they came up with the ending choices.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

generic me3 thoughts
the fact that batarians got offscreened and we never got to make a shaky peace deal with the batarians in order to get their help in the reaper war sucked major balls.

just missed potential all around, the opening of mass effect 3 is one of the worst parts of any bioware game i've ever played.
The thiny veiled disgust with the earth politicians "what do we DOOOOO shepard??? We cant wipe our asses without a strong military gal to tell us hoooow"
the flimsy bullshit drama with the kid, handled about as well as you can expect. We're in a lovely action movie now guys
anderson stays behind, this weapons project that NOONE knew about is the ONLY WAY (We dont know what it does but we need to pour a gajillion credits into building this wunderwaffe that will do something)

who loving wrote this poo poo, it's eye-wateringly bad.

Mass effect 2 opening was spiteful and destructive to logic and narrative that was built up previously (reseting the universe, if you made a human-friendly council you can kiss them goodbye, no1curr about reapers anymore) and loads of other things (cerberus, joker, normandy 2 FOR NO RAISON) but drat if ME3 opening didnt basically break the potential of the game right then and there.

Alliance sucks, earth sucks, the entire alliance to take back earth is dumb. the mega weapon we are building doesn't make sense (why would you waste the cash on something that does nothing, and you dont know how to use)

the potential that the world could evolve past the reapers due to reverse engineering their tech from me1, added to the fact that the universe was no longer dominated by one culture but rather a multitude of countries and cultures, and as such, now had a CHANCE to fight the reapers on sort of even ground with the head start given, was dropped. Every regular reaper plan was foiled, so they had to use tactics they weren't comfortable with. That could've been a far better direction to take the story. You could even technobabble them being "tired" from the long trip back to the galaxy.

Instead, nihlus ended up dead, and the beacon DESTROYED

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 11, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The opening to ME2 was very jarring, and the new characterization of Cerberus was entirely out of left field, but it is a pretty dramatic and exciting opening that could then be effectively reprised at the end of the game to show how far you've came (or how far you haven't come as the case may be). I think the strongest thing about ME2 is how it all centers around building up your team and your ship to do your big mission, and ripping away everything you had in the last game was contrived, but it set the ground for building yourself back up.

The running theme of almost all higher-up authorities being worthless and disbelieving everything you say was annoying, but it was there since ME1.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Best part of the council was calling them over and over just to hang up on them

https://youtu.be/YrfHpiFe254

Also dying and coming back to life as a rogue agent was awesome and gathering up a team of misfits and mercs to go on a suicide run was awesome and Zaeed was awesome

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

poisonpill posted:

Best part of the council was calling them over and over just to hang up on them

https://youtu.be/YrfHpiFe254

Also dying and coming back to life as a rogue agent was awesome and gathering up a team of misfits and mercs to go on a suicide run was awesome and Zaeed was awesome

I hung up on those assholes every chance I had.

Zaeed was great if for nothing else it made players who wanted a squeaky clean paragon play through kill a bunch of innocent factory workers in order to gain his loyalty.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 12, 2020

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

The opening to ME2 was very jarring, and the new characterization of Cerberus was entirely out of left field, but it is a pretty dramatic and exciting opening that could then be effectively reprised at the end of the game to show how far you've came (or how far you haven't come as the case may be). I think the strongest thing about ME2 is how it all centers around building up your team and your ship to do your big mission, and ripping away everything you had in the last game was contrived, but it set the ground for building yourself back up.

The running theme of almost all higher-up authorities being worthless and disbelieving everything you say was annoying, but it was there since ME1.

I remember at the time it felt like they really “tv show”d up the vibe

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

I hung up on those assholes every chance I had.

Zaeed was great if for nothing else it made players who wanted a squeaky clean paragon play through kill a bunch of innocent factory workers in order to gain his loyalty.

No, you can save the factory workers and just yell at him at the end

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

2house2fly posted:

No, you can save the factory workers and just yell at him at the end

Huh, I didn't know. I seem to remember one play through where i saved them and thus failed the loyalty mission.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

ME1 Cerberus was boring and stupid, doing dumb science experiments for no reason. ME2 Cerberus as the privatised Deep State was better - though the original plan was for Legion and the true geth to resurrect Shepard, not Cerberus

also the revelation at the heart of ME1 is that the Council and all galactic civilisation are unknowingly complicit in the Reaper plan to genocide everyone. the galactic liberal democracy is fundamentally compromised and must be discarded

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lt. Danger posted:

ME1 Cerberus was boring and stupid, doing dumb science experiments for no reason. ME2 Cerberus as the privatised Deep State was better - though the original plan was for Legion and the true geth to resurrect Shepard, not Cerberus

also the revelation at the heart of ME1 is that the Council and all galactic civilisation are unknowingly complicit in the Reaper plan to genocide everyone. the galactic liberal democracy is fundamentally compromised and must be discarded

Nah I'm going to hit the nuke reapers button instead

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Let the Reapers destroy the Council, destroy the Reapers, lose your pilot’s weird RealDoll. Win/win.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The best Mass Effect game is Star Control 2

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The structures of Mass Effect 2 and 3 should have been switched. It makes more sense for 2 to be Shephard's and the rest of the galaxy's lowest point where they get their poo poo wrecked, then make 3 the last ditch effort suicide mission to save the day. Would have been a much better note to end on.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

skasion posted:

The best Mass Effect game is Star Control 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
If youre a coward and you don’t want to do Leto Shepherd II’s golden path I guess destroy is fine