Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:ohdear: :"Here’s hoping that new system creation becomes exponentially faster.

If Pyro takes even a year to finish, that’s far too long when we have 100+ due after that.

My pie in the sky (read: will not happen) hope is that we see 2 new systems live before the end of the year. At the very least, 2 new ones by 4.4.

If we get to the end of 2021 with just 2 total systems, that’s pretty worrying."

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Star Citizen had a ‘record-breaking’ year of crowdfunding

Thank goodness Charlie Hall hasn't become jaded after all this time.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Dementropy posted:

If Pyro takes even a year to finish, that’s far too long when we have 100+ due after that.

My pie in the sky (read: will not happen) hope is that we see 2 new systems live before the end of the year. At the very least, 2 new ones by 4.4.

If we get to the end of 2021 with just 2 total systems, that’s pretty worrying."

lol, 2021. Made me go and find this, from mid-2017...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

lol did ol crobbie really say that sand worms were an upcoming feature

it's not lying if he's dumb, i guess?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dementropy posted:

If we get to the end of 2021 with just 2 total systems, that’s pretty worrying."[/i]
Well, I'm worried, but not as much as I would be after two more years of this. :lol:
Sure. That's what'd be pretty worrying.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dementropy posted:

:shepspends: Persistence and something called server meshing are two of the last big technical pieces of the puzzle that need to be completed. They are both massive technical projects due to unprecedented scope of the game but they are both on slate to finally be completed within the next six months. The game should go into beta a few months after that.

:lol::lol:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Mr Fronts posted:

:eyepop: Were they still thinking they'll finish 100 systems? Or is this made by citizen or goon?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

:shepspends: Persistence and something called server meshing are two of the last big technical pieces of the puzzle that need to be completed. They are both massive technical projects due to unprecedented scope of the game but they are both on slate to finally be completed within the next six months. The game should go into beta a few months after that.

Didn't they already say that server meshing ain't happening till the end of the year at least.

Oh, I see. If we all pledge then the pipes will be well oiled, and with another record breaking year of crowdfunding the ~dream of beta~ will be conquered.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lol did ol crobbie really say that sand worms were an upcoming feature

it's not lying if he's dumb, i guess?

technically it's even implemented in the form of backer brainworms

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dementropy posted:

Have I got bad news for him. :worry:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Didn't they already say that server meshing ain't happening till the end of the year at least.

Oh, I see. If we all pledge then the pipes will be well oiled, and with another record breaking year of crowdfunding the ~dream of beta~ will be conquered.

"Static Server Meshing" which is normal instancing like in other games, isn't expected until end of year at earliest, which means sometime in 2021. "Dynamic Server Meshing" is then another year or two later :v:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

"Static Server Meshing" which is normal instancing like in other games, isn't expected until end of year at earliest, which means sometime in 2021. "Dynamic Server Meshing" is then another year or two later :v:

Amazing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

the game comes out this year though...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

almost 4 years to get less than half of what was promised in 3.0

incredible

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

living breathing universe that is dead on arrival :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

the game comes out this year though...

Namaste

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

Server meshing within 6 months?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

loving hell Mr Hall has zero idea about game development

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

So what do we do with the other 300 million?

Finish Love Pledge?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

loving hell Mr Hall has zero idea about game development

My quote was from the article's comments, not Hall's article

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

Finish Love Pledge?
I'd expect an update on that soon, actually

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I was just watching some of their video "First Playable Achieved", they said they gout artwork done so now they are going to work on game play.

Ahahahaahahahaa

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Baby long-term persistence? I thought "persistence is in" and "baby PU" were things years ago?

Saving and loading database entries is a thing that you definitely want to put off until year 8 of your development cycle. It's not foundational or anything.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

I was just watching some of their video "First Playable Achieved", they said they gout artwork done so now they are going to work on game play.

Ahahahaahahahaa

Is the first gameplay system the boob slider?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Tsar Mikey posted:

Baby long-term persistence? I thought "persistence is in" and "baby PU" were things years ago?

Saving and loading database entries is a thing that you definitely want to put off until year 8 of your development cycle. It's not foundational or anything.

First they had baby short-term persistence.
Then they had adult short-term persistence?

So this is now baby long-term persistence.

Which I think means they've figured out how save files work.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing you can say about Star Citizen it's that it persists.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

The comment section is a fun read. Lots of people not buying the bullshit.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

trucutru posted:

Is the first gameplay system the boob slider?

first, last, and only

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

And then they will have parity with ED in terms of instance meshing (except ED uses the much maligned hybrid P2P/matchmaking server for instancing while SC uses pure C/S.

In ED, every ship is its own instance and as you travel and encounter other players your instance bubbles overlap and create erm... bigger bubbles, until you move out of range of each other.

Now, if CIG had implemented that, i'm sure backers would have been crying from the rooftops that its never been done before (to be honest, i have no idea if it has been done before or whether its a good technical solution or not... it works, well, up to a certain point, starts getting wonky once you start getting dozens of players in the same area, but at least we are all on the same "server" as it were, not segregated (modes of course are a related topic, which is choosing who you can instance with, like a filter).

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: 3.8.1 Shield holes - 21 ships tested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYDh-czkmR4

I thought it's time again to do my shield hole video for the current patch.
It's important to see where we are and what changed.

I know there is a shield rework "signed distance field tech" scheduled for 4.0, which will fix shield holes.
However, this shield re-work was already moved from 3.6 to 4.0 once, I wouldn't bet it will be in 4.0.

The shield holes and ships I show you are by no means a complete list.
I know of a lot more shield holes and ships that have shield holes.

Some of the shield holes I show you are hard to hit in combat, other shield holes are easily abused.
Make no mistakes, there are pvpers who are aiming at known shield holes intentionally.

I am using an Aurora-MR with 2 size 1 Bulldog Laser Repeaters.
Those are energy guns and energy guns do not penetrate shields.

:laffo:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
abuse my shield hole

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

abuse my shield hole

i was too late for this, drat it

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Quavers posted:

:reddit: 3.8.1 Shield holes - 21 ships tested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYDh-czkmR4

I thought it's time again to do my shield hole video for the current patch.
It's important to see where we are and what changed.

I know there is a shield rework "signed distance field tech" scheduled for 4.0, which will fix shield holes.
However, this shield re-work was already moved from 3.6 to 4.0 once, I wouldn't bet it will be in 4.0.

The shield holes and ships I show you are by no means a complete list.
I know of a lot more shield holes and ships that have shield holes.

Some of the shield holes I show you are hard to hit in combat, other shield holes are easily abused.
Make no mistakes, there are pvpers who are aiming at known shield holes intentionally.

I am using an Aurora-MR with 2 size 1 Bulldog Laser Repeaters.
Those are energy guns and energy guns do not penetrate shields.

:laffo:

You know, Freespace just used a mesh as a shield. Why do they have to add SDF (which, btw, is insanely complicated and used for stuff like https://ntopology.com/) just to add shields instead of, IDK, making an invisible mesh that only collides with weapon fire?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

My quote was from the article's comments, not Hall's article

I was just testing you of course. You passed the test. :mmmsmug:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 12, 2020

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

Now, if CIG had implemented that, i'm sure backers would have been crying from the rooftops that its never been done before
... and even then CIG would have rewritten it from scratch and made it far far worse. Well, when it arrived, in 2021.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

first, last, and only

Sold!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownTarget posted:

You know, Freespace just used a mesh as a shield. Why do they have to add SDF (which, btw, is insanely complicated and used for stuff like https://ntopology.com/) just to add shields instead of, IDK, making an invisible mesh that only collides with weapon fire?

They use SDF because they want the sparks and ricochets from weapons hitting the shield to be as fidelitous as possible.

I am not joking, that's the reason and they have multiple videos showing the tech that is just around the corner, any day now.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

UnknownTarget posted:

The answer is, of course, fidelity.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

A Thread Poster posted:

Why thing?

A Tane Poster posted:

Thing because fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

UnknownTarget posted:

sounds cool, therefore will make them sell more JPEGs