Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Bifauxnen posted:

I did see that angle you mentioned, but some people should already be highly skilled at a different speciality. So they can probably hold off the soothsaying for now and do what they do best, while instead the less focused builders (or people like binus who claim they suck at everything) can pile on to get this done and potentially discover a talent they didn't know about.

Seems reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Bifauxnen posted:

I did see that angle you mentioned, but some people should already be highly skilled at a different speciality. So they can probably hold off the soothsaying for now and do what they do best, while instead the less focused builders (or people like binus who claim they suck at everything) can pile on to get this done and potentially discover a talent they didn't know about.

This might be a good compromise.

I just worry one of our expert mason builders is also an expert seer builder and we never find out because why would you build something else if you reveal a high number.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Expert mason as an example, could work for any of the build paths.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CCKeane posted:

Why are we assuming soothsaying is the path to the bridge victory?

cause Rainbow Drop equals mcguffin plot point poo poo central to the main hero's quest, at least that's why I assume it

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

cause Rainbow Drop equals mcguffin plot point poo poo central to the main hero's quest, at least that's why I assume it

Yep. Especially with the first soothsayer being the banner which is the first quest if each area in the game.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amnistar posted:

I agree with this.

Update before I head off to work today, as I won't be able to update this until after I get home:

Re-ordered based on preference to hopefull make it easier to use.

Mr. Steak posted:

as for battle preference claims, i'd be most useful in the back row of combat, and for the first night would greatly prefer to be put in

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CCKeane posted:

Why are we assuming soothsaying is the path to the bridge victory?

It's a singular upgrade track that "may result in something amazing." It's a natural presumption that its the alt wincon, since we don't have anything else to go on right now.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Got it steak, sorry I missed it.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

You are right though that we have no gurantee that is the victory path. I withdraw my suggestion as it is already risky and with the potential for us not to win by reaching the end spreading out is a more reliable strategy.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My personal thought is that there is a whole lot of talk about mechanics and not really a whole lot of chat about who is scum.

Except for Jen's case. I'm not sure I agree with her reads but they are coming from a good place, imo.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I gotta read the OP and entire game. I've done my precombat action(or at least I think I have). I'd prefer not to combat, but if I do it's whatever.

Same

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Monathin posted:

My personal thought is that there is a whole lot of talk about mechanics and not really a whole lot of chat about who is scum.

Except for Jen's case. I'm not sure I agree with her reads but they are coming from a good place, imo.

Agreed, my eyes are glazing over from mechanicschat. A passing thought would be "who's mechanicschatting without scumhunting", because mechanics chat is a great place for scum to hide, especially since you can actually contribute- not just seem like you're actually contributing- by just mechanics spergin'.

People who have done this and done no scumhunting:

charms has barely posted, and only about mechanics.

b-minus1 hasn't done much of either tbh- thrown out a town read on me, AA, and Amni- no scumreads, very light mechanicschat. Do you have a scum read on anyone, binus?

Hunt11 has mostly sniped instead of throwing out a read- the one read that they kind of threw out, is this one:

Hunt11 posted:

In terms of the vote leaders I am favoring voting for Mega over Amni.

There's not much substance here and a lot of white noise in Hunt's post.

Iron Chef Ramen hasn't really posted so :shrug:

Mr. Steak hasn't done anything other than mechanicschat, give me a read, Steak!

PMush Perfect has only one non-mechanics non-joke post, and it's shading alli in one line, barely casing, but at least there's a vote to back it up.

Ruggan is two things: mechanics chat, and light defense of MegazeroX.

Out of these people, the ones that jump out as scummiest are probably binus and Hunt, pmust in a close third, but I want to hear reads from people who haven't given any of them.

I'm just gonna do the soothseer thing for my day action build shenanigans, and hunt scum. Someone else can do the citybuilder combat stuff thinking, because I sure ain't.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

Out of these people, the ones that jump out as scummiest are probably binus and Hunt, pmust in a close third, but I want to hear reads from people who haven't given any of them.

mafia edit: pmush in third

charms
Oct 14, 2012

I can't make an argument about anyone's metagame. The only thing that really pings me is this:

Lux Animus posted:

Here are my personal votes (bolded) for which project I feel is more important per category:

Which just seems completely pointless. The actual voting in a crafting field is going to be done by the people working in it. The point of posting preferred projects is to convince the crafters to go with your ideas, which you can't do without explaining why your ideas are better.

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!

SolusLunes posted:

I'm just gonna do the soothseer thing for my day action build shenanigans, and hunt scum. Someone else can do the citybuilder combat stuff thinking, because I sure ain't.

this reminds me, solus: you said you were "probably slightly more than okay at seer projects" earlier. now that we know that nobody has an estimation of their seer stats, i'd like to know what this was based on.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mega, I feel like you got pretty into mechanics chat last game we played together, but I don't get the sense that you're as interested in doing that here. Is there a reason for this?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I don’t have a scum read on anyone atm. That will change eventually

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

alli again posted:

this reminds me, solus: you said you were "probably slightly more than okay at seer projects" earlier. now that we know that nobody has an estimation of their seer stats, i'd like to know what this was based on.

I did say that! Check the FAQ discord channel, I had seen numbers and read too much into it. My affinity currently is ???, so I don't actually know what I've got going for me there.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Eh, I don't see the case on b- at the moment, but I'm notably charitable to b- early and it's burned me before, so ask me again in a day or two.

I'm back and forth on Hunt, especially in light of Hunt v Bif which is like one of the few bits of back and forth that isn't FULL mechanicschat.

Steak is suspect but I feel like Steak always makes himself look suspect d1.

Still happy with my vote on Mega from the other night, I haven't seen anything that changes my mind about their scumminess thus far, especially as people have been trying to define it as a "meta case" (it's not, lol.)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Dragonatrix posted:

Mega being the current voteleader is a bit annoying. It's mostly based on meta stuff, which I don't really think is such a great tell in the first half of D1. Of course, he's not really doing himself any favours by tunneling so hard on AA for meta reasons that are maybe just post-hoc justifications if I followed all that correctly. That combined with a quick two sentences discussing people other than AA is just plain bad. I'm inclined to think more scummy than it should be, but less-so than AA.

This in particular. This entire argument says the Mega case is annoying because it's a "meta case", which it demonstrably isn't. It's about Mega acting performative about AA's meta, which is something scum will do in order to endear themselves to town, constantly.

Calling it a meta case is disingenuous, and I feel worse about Dragon as a result of this.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Votecount for Day 1

MegaZeroX (3): Monathin, Bifauxnen, King Burgundy, Amnistar, Bifauxnen
Anomalous Amalgam (2): PMush Perfect, SolusLunes, Amnistar, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, PMush Perfect, Amnistar, Lux Animus
Amnistar (2): Anomalous Amalgam, MegaZeroX
Hunt11 (2): Bifauxnen, Dragonatrix
SolusLunes (1): Amnistar, Amnistar, Jen X
Ruggan (1): CCKeane
alli again (1): PMush Perfect
Mr. Steak (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
Bifauxnen (0): Monathin, Monathin

Not Voting (9): alli again, b-minus1, charms, Hunt11, Iron Chef Ramen, Leith Maclaine, Mr. Steak, Ruggan, Social Studies 3rd Period

With 21 alive, it's 11 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 13th, 2020 at 8 p.m. PST -- that's in about 1 day, 10 hours.

Looking at these votes and poking some people

- I have a town read on AA atm, so I'm not sure about the votes on AA. Solus, is AA still your top read with you poking at the people who have done only mechanicschat and no scumhunting? Lux, what are your thoughts?

- I am extremely gun shy of a Day 1 Amni vote due to having the complete wrong read of them D1 in MonHunfia so people jumping on them here seems suspect. AA, you were in MHW Mafia, does this feel like the same thing that was going on there to you?

- jfc we still have a day left.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

I did say that! Check the FAQ discord channel, I had seen numbers and read too much into it. My affinity currently is ???, so I don't actually know what I've got going for me there.

plus the numbers I did see are either good or my interpretation of the scale is way off, and I'm 100% willing to game the mod and bet working numbers haven't changed for at least some people

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Monathin posted:

Solus, is AA still your top read with you poking at the people who have done only mechanicschat and no scumhunting?

Yes, especially since they're voting Amnistar in a mutual cloud of OMGUSes when they could have pushed their case on me. If said people continue to not scumhunt, then I'll revise my reads at that time. For now we've got a day left and I'd like to be able to base more reads on people's scumhunting.

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!

SolusLunes posted:

Hmm, I have read the FAQ channel and it is noting only loading "briefly" but i'm not going to debate this, a bit speculative

SolusLunes posted:

plus the numbers I did see are either good or my interpretation of the scale is way off, and I'm 100% willing to game the mod and bet working numbers haven't changed for at least some people

this, on the other hand, why are you saying this when mithross explicitly called out in the FAQ that the numbers were not finalized and may be different?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

alli again posted:

this, on the other hand, why are you saying this when mithross explicitly called out in the FAQ that the numbers were not finalized and may be different?

because he'd say that even if they weren't different

like I said, 100% willing to game the mod at any and all times

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

because he'd say that even if they weren't different

like I said, 100% willing to game the mod at any and all times

hell, ask SS3P, noted mod of a game that went on for several months, the combat system of which I broke over my knee by gaming the mods and creating obsessively large spreadsheets of RPS tendencies for players and mods correlated to NPCs

still proud of that btw

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

wait I just realized you'd know that anyway because you were in that game

regardless,

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

it was never your sword to begin with!!!!!!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

lmao

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'll be extremely real, I bit off more than I can chew a little bit, I think. 21 players is a lot to keep track of, and I only vaguely understand how the mechanics work. (Combat, especially, is a big ???? to me. Is it like Tactics Ogre?) Hard to hunt scum when I have no idea what anyone's talking about.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

PMush Perfect posted:

I'll be extremely real, I bit off more than I can chew a little bit, I think. 21 players is a lot to keep track of, and I only vaguely understand how the mechanics work. (Combat, especially, is a big ???? to me. Is it like Tactics Ogre?) Hard to hunt scum when I have no idea what anyone's talking about.

lol :same:

alli again
Jan 7, 2020

Oh, big yawn!

SolusLunes posted:

hell, ask SS3P, noted mod of a game that went on for several months, the combat system of which I broke over my knee by gaming the mods and creating obsessively large spreadsheets of RPS tendencies for players and mods correlated to NPCs

still proud of that btw

This isn't remotely the same thing, though! Like documenting trends is what you are describing wrt the RPS spreadsheets, but guessing at what mithross actually did one way or the other after an explicit statement came out that the numbers are not the finalized numbers - like, explicitly, are not - based on, I guess, a gut feel, is not documenting trends. You say it's gaming the mod but wouldn't "shooting in the dark" be more accurate?

SolusLunes posted:

it was never your sword to begin with!!!!!!

I think I'm obligated to not let this post pass unacknowledged, so I am acknowledging it.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

If you are feeling overwhelmed:
1.) Ignore combat until tonight. It only matters if you get picked.
2.) Submit a build action. If you dont know what for do soothseer or whichever is highest. Pick whichever of the 2 options sounds cooler.
3.) Hunt scum like a normal game.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

You don't have to case everyone at all times. Or even be aware of everyone's existence at all times, and have reads of everyone.

alli again posted:

This isn't remotely the same thing, though! Like documenting trends is what you are describing wrt the RPS spreadsheets, but guessing at what mithross actually did one way or the other after an explicit statement came out that the numbers are not the finalized numbers - like, explicitly, are not - based on, I guess, a gut feel, is not documenting trends. You say it's gaming the mod but wouldn't "shooting in the dark" be more accurate?

I'm shooting in the dark in that I'm assuming people are lazy like me and are saying a thing even if it's only true in a small number of situations.

I don't think it's a completely baseless shot, I do, however, think it's perfectly fine and reasonable for D1.

Besides, I've never passed up an opportunity for what is probably a Bad Idea.

alli again posted:

I think I'm obligated to not let this post pass unacknowledged, so I am acknowledging it.

these are the rewards of trying to be helpful to people!!!!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Amnistar posted:

2.) Submit a build action. If you dont know what for do soothseer or whichever is highest. Pick whichever of the 2 options sounds cooler.
1) Easy enough.
2) Done. I already explained my logic for hoping that Faith Piety actually does something.
3) It's Day 1, I don't have a lot to go on, but I'll try.

I'm hoping everything will click tomorrow and I'll have a better understanding of how this works.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Amnistar posted:

Since it's been brought up and I think it's worth discussing. Do ypu think there are scum hiding in mechanics chat, Alli? If so, who are the ones you would suspect?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

PMush Perfect posted:

21 players is a lot to keep track of

It is, yeah. There's a few folks I just straight up keep forgetting are even in here right now.

So to that end, I'm just pull out the three lowest posters for some light prodding:

Steak has the tied least amount of posts so far. They're all fairly low content in general, focused entirely on mechanicschat but without the air of even pretending to be helpful there. He's made one post since "emerging from the lurker cave" (his words, not mine) and it's very helpfully on this page. Any reads on anyone at all, Steakums?

Iron Chef also has the tied least amount of posts so far. They're also all fairly low on actual content, focus entirely on mechanicschat but somehow manages to be even less helpful than Steak. Any reads on anyone so far?

Charms has nothing but mecanicschat (I am sensing a pattern here...), but mostly managed to give decent posts on that front. His sole contribution to scumhunting is that...

charms posted:

I can't make an argument about anyone's metagame.

He cannot make an argument on meta. Is there anything you can make an argument on? :thunk:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Monathin posted:

Since it's been brought up and I think it's worth discussing. Do ypu think there are scum hiding in mechanics chat, Alli? If so, who are the ones you would suspect?

You quoted me and asked ali,if you are asking me I can do some digging through mechanics chat after work. Using the app to look at history is a pain, especially in 3 minute intervals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oop, my bad. Well, let's just say I'd like both of you to do that then. I think its an avenue worth considering for everyone in general given how mechanics-dominated the last few pages are, haha