Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Xiahou Dun posted:

Which has nothing to do with what we were talking about. I was trying to actually answer the question.

Except you didn't answer the question. You said the split "goes back way further than that" (I said "hundreds of years ago" and your links don't go any earlier than 1580s for when the later word shows up, which is, well, "hundreds of years ago") and that the split was "strong long before Early Modern English" (which your citations don't show since the second word isn't attested in your sources before the 1580s).

...so all you did was Kramer in to say :wrong: without backing it up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes me linking the standard in my industry that I happen to help out with (unpaid) while bemoaning that we can't come up with a way to make all the gritty details more available to the public is exactly that. Good job.

Hey man, you're the one who said you had citations and primary sources. If you want to back up your statements that your particular unpaid etymology pet project is better than a more famous unpaid etymology pet project, I'm totally into it, but if you're just gonna yell that etymology is a full industry and you're revolutionizing it and everyone should believe you implicitly because you've claimed you're the best, you should maybe put up some evidence.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
A Collection Of above Three Hundred Receipts in Cookery, Physick and Surgery, Mark Kettilby, 1714.

The Complete Economic Cook, Marry Holland, 1837.

Seventy-Five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats, Eliza Leslie, 1830.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tunicate posted:

Hey man, you're the one who said you had citations and primary sources. If you want to back up your statements that your particular unpaid etymology pet project is better than a more famous unpaid etymology pet project, I'm totally into it, but if you're just gonna yell that etymology is a full industry and you're revolutionizing it and everyone should believe you implicitly because you've claimed you're the best, you should maybe put up some evidence.

My unpaid etymology project that is the academic standard for the entire world. The source that all other languages wish they had. But clearly I made this up in a shed to win an internet argument.

Holy gently caress.

ulmont posted:

Except you didn't answer the question. You said the split "goes back way further than that" (I said "hundreds of years ago" and your links don't go any earlier than 1580s for when the later word shows up, which is, well, "hundreds of years ago") and that the split was "strong long before Early Modern English" (which your citations don't show since the second word isn't attested in your sources before the 1580s).

...so all you did was Kramer in to say :wrong: without backing it up.

Yeah, you got me dead to rights there ; I was pretty flip. If it's first attested then it's unlikely it was novel so the null hypothesis is that it's much older and this is just the first time it's recorded. I meant that there isn't a good ground to ever assume a conflation between the two words, which is an assumption that isn't shown in the record except for perhaps folk etymology.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

My unpaid etymology project that is the academic standard for the entire world. The source that all other languages wish they had. But clearly I made this up in a shed to win an internet argument.
That would be a better argument if it hasn't been repeatedly demonstrated that this thread is a better source that the one you keep advocating, if for no other reason that it includes citations.

Edit:

American Domestic Cookery, Maria Eliza Ketelby Rundell, 1823.

Houlston’s Housekeeper’s Assistant, 1828.

The Cook's Own Book, N.K.M. Lee, 1832.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Whelp time to take all my degrees in this and smoke them. We just made it all up.

You got me.

You posted some pictures without knowing what they mean.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

My unpaid etymology project that is the academic standard for the entire world.

According to yourself, anyway. Let me plug it into google scholar

Okay, let me click the first result listed, a review. It praises the fact that the website is easy to use and summarizes a bunch of earlier works, but then continues to say "it is fraught with countless, fundamental problems and drawbacks of different types."

Well, okay, let's look through the rest of the page. Next is someone's thesis on how Etymonline could be converted into an actual digital library, and the benefits of doing so. Followed by two papers which use it as a fancier 'Mirram-Webster Defines MYTOPIC As...' intro.

Oh, well certainly your website gets cited a lot more, I bet it has a ton more google scholar hits than wiktionary, right? "Wiktionary" only has 16,200 results, which is much smaller and less important to the industry than Etymonline's 12,300.

So yeah dude, chill with the bragging and kramering in, it isn't impressing anyone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Whelp time to take all my degrees in this and smoke them. We just made it all up.

You got me.

You posted some pictures without knowing what they mean.
Your position that a well-established usage that is widely documented and extensively discussed is actually a collection of peculiar typos is not exactly an endorsement of your degree, smoked or otherwise. You're seriously arguing that in 1922 Emily loving Post felt compelled to weigh in on a subject that had been settled circa the 15th Century? What, she was getting a lot of letters from time travelers from Tudor England? Similarly a discussion of the matter in Volume 6, No. 3 (February, 1931) of American Speech? Or the Dictionary of American Regional English (which reports that `receipt' in this sense died out in the '60s)? Or the OED, from whom I pulled the Sir Walter Scott and Wilkie Collins examples?

Edit:

The Art of Cookery Made Easy and Refined, John Mollard, 1802.

The Art of French Cookery, A.B. Beauvilliers, 1827.

The Housekeeper’s Instructor, William Henderson, 1805.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Is it possible to ban people from particular threads?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

A Grand Egg posted:

That's a recipe for trouble, unless you get a receipt.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Historical Cooking - Etymol-up in your rear end

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's a recipe for trouble, unless you get a receipt.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Didn’t a mod come in here to tell you guys to cut it the gently caress out last time this idiotic debate flared up? I don’t think they meant for you to start it up again a couple of weeks later.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, you got me dead to rights there ; I was pretty flip. If it's first attested then it's unlikely it was novel so the null hypothesis is that it's much older and this is just the first time it's recorded. I meant that there isn't a good ground to ever assume a conflation between the two words, which is an assumption that isn't shown in the record except for perhaps folk etymology.
What do you mean it's an assumption that isn't shown in the record? It obviously is shown in the record. Have you been reading this thread? There are examples all over this page (and the previous page, by the way, which is how the discussion came up in the first place). Are you trying to gaslight us or something? What is even going on here?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stop gaslighting me, word dude, i'm weak willed

:saddowns:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
FWIW, my older relatives when I was growing up used "receipts," and even my parents switched between receipts and recipes depending upon the conversation.

But I have a receipt that I am curious about - it's this 18th century one for A Savoury and Nourishing Food at a Cheap Rate (transcribed in the Clwyd Cookbook). It is straightforward enough, not dissimilar to stovies, and I'd be tempted to cut the quantities down and try it - but I don't typically include meat and am wondering what the best substitute might be. I often just leave the meat out of receipts/recipes but this one looks like it needs something for texture and protein.

Thoughts?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I did some googling on vegan pot roast substitutes, assuming you'd want something pot roast-adjacent, and jackfruit and portobello mushrooms came up. Also apparently there's a company that actually does vegan beef tips (Gardein) though I feel like that'd definitely take the savory and nourishing food out of the cheap rate.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'd go with mushrooms too - cooking that beef for 5 hours is gonna result in a flavorful stew/sauce and putting in a mix of both fresh and dried mushrooms might get you to a similar place in terms of texture and richness of flavor.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Leraika posted:

I did some googling on vegan pot roast substitutes, assuming you'd want something pot roast-adjacent, and jackfruit and portobello mushrooms came up. Also apparently there's a company that actually does vegan beef tips (Gardein) though I feel like that'd definitely take the savory and nourishing food out of the cheap rate.

anakha posted:

I'd go with mushrooms too - cooking that beef for 5 hours is gonna result in a flavorful stew/sauce and putting in a mix of both fresh and dried mushrooms might get you to a similar place in terms of texture and richness of flavor.

Ooh, yes, mushrooms sound perfect. Very nice! I will try that. Thank you!

At some point I need to become better acquainted with jackfruit. None of my local stores carry it, so I'll have to make an expedition (or order online) to get some eventually.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Never mind the 1830s try the 1930s

The Institute of Regrettable Food is kind of on topic for this thread in general. ..

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 13, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TofuDiva posted:

At some point I need to become better acquainted with jackfruit. None of my local stores carry it, so I'll have to make an expedition (or order online) to get some eventually.

Jackfruit's pretty cool; the restaurant I used to work at offered faux "chicken" nuggets made with the canned stuff. Once you breaded and deep-fried the chunks, the texture was surprisingly similar. Since most of the flavor comes from the seasoned breading anyways, and we served it with bbq sauce to dip in, it fooled a couple of the employees when my KM was doing test-runs and just said "hey, wanna try these new nuggets?" (note: this was imo a dick move she used to do; as a haver of allergies I do not approve of tricking people into eating something without telling them wtf it is)

If you have an Asian grocer anywhere around you, that's where we sourced ours from. They actually had fresh, whole ones, but fuuuuck prepping that, so we used canned cubes.

I agree with the mushroom idea, though, that's gonna bring the meaty umami to the table. Jackfruit's good on body/texture, but not so much flavor.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If you have an Asian grocer anywhere around you, that's where we sourced ours from. They actually had fresh, whole ones, but fuuuuck prepping that, so we used canned cubes.

Good tip, thanks - I will check at the nearest one.

Got another recipe/receipt from the same Clwyd Cookbook (I may be developing an obsession with that book).

Walnut Ketchup - has anyone made such a thing? I do not have a source for unripe walnuts, have no idea what they taste like, and am wondering how messed up the finished product would be if I used regular ones. Just at a guess, I'd think that unripe ones would be more tannin-y than the fully ripened ones, but I dunno.

Years ago there was a black walnut tree that I used to raid, but alas, it is no longer accessible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I keep saying I'm going to make nocino, but I'm always too busy during the narrow window when I can gather green walnuts.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

TofuDiva posted:

You should also look at textured vegetable protein sold as "soy curls." It sounds like something out of a dystopian novel but is dirt-cheap and very good as a substitute for recipes that want cubed beef or chicken. Depending on what kind of broth you use to reconstitute it it can serve as either.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

TofuDiva posted:

Good tip, thanks - I will check at the nearest one.

Got another recipe/receipt from the same Clwyd Cookbook (I may be developing an obsession with that book).

Walnut Ketchup - has anyone made such a thing? I do not have a source for unripe walnuts, have no idea what they taste like, and am wondering how messed up the finished product would be if I used regular ones. Just at a guess, I'd think that unripe ones would be more tannin-y than the fully ripened ones, but I dunno.

Years ago there was a black walnut tree that I used to raid, but alas, it is no longer accessible.
I don't think I've ever (intentionally) eaten green walnuts raw, but pickled green walnuts (which are actually vibrant black, like an olive) are a...what's the right word...fancy but not unusual addition to a cheese platter or that kind of thing. In addition to the sharp flavour from the pickling they are, as you guess, pretty pungent and bitter with a strong tannin note. Replacing them with grocery store bulk walnuts wouldn't really give you the same thing.

There are, however, plenty of recipes for walnut ketchup that use mature walnuts if you just want to try walnut ketchup in general as opposed to making that specific recipe.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I very much do not miss having a black walnut tree, roots of the damned thing broke my patterned concrete patio like a saltine, while also staining it from above and generally encouraging squirrels. Just a constant mess everywhere.

Also receipts were invented by Beyonce in 2015 so put that in your linguistic pipe hole and smoke it.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

angerbeet posted:

I very much do not miss having a black walnut tree, roots of the damned thing broke my patterned concrete patio like a saltine, while also staining it from above and generally encouraging squirrels. Just a constant mess everywhere.

Also receipts were invented by Beyonce in 2015 so put that in your linguistic pipe hole and smoke it.

It sounds like you had a tree that grew free-range, walnut-finished squirrels but you didn't take advantage of such a bounty.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I really want to start that CYOA now. Especially since I'm broke and feeding myself on random stuff from the food bank, so that's really my life right now:

"You have a pound of black beans, a can of tomatoes, some squishy green peppers, a bag of rice, and some really stale spinach tortillas.

Turn to page 23 if you make ghetto-rear end stuffed peppers.

Turn to page 67 if you make burritos that can only be saved by copious amounts of hot sauce.

Turn to page 132 if you make a lame tortilla-bean soup."

Cook Your Own Adventure thread sounds hilarious.

FortMan posted:

What is scum in this context?

Apples have pectin, which expresses and forms a scum when boiled.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 14, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A Grand Egg posted:

Yes, but since this is the second time this has happened, I'm going to start with a few probes and a warning.

This slap fight is over. Leave the etymology arguments out of the cooking thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I need to think of a good recipe/receipt joke to make the new thread title.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

chitoryu12 posted:

The table of contents is...ad hoc.

Voting for "Curious Effects of the Imagination"

Jackfruit's pretty cool; the restaurant I used to work at offered faux "chicken" nuggets made with the canned stuff. Once you breaded and deep-fried the chunks, the texture was surprisingly similar. Since most of the flavor comes from the seasoned breading anyways, and we served it with bbq sauce to dip in, it fooled a couple of the employees when my KM was doing test-runs and just said "hey, wanna try these new nuggets?" (note: this was imo a dick move she used to do; as a haver of allergies I do not approve of tricking people into eating something without telling them wtf it is)

I agree with the mushroom idea, though, that's gonna bring the meaty umami to the table. Jackfruit's good on body/texture, but not so much flavor.

This is especially true in the case of something like jackfruit, which is exotic enough that plenty of people probably don't even know they're allergic.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is especially true in the case of something like jackfruit, which is exotic enough that plenty of people probably don't even know they're allergic.

Yeah, she was really fuckin' weird about that. Whenever she'd go to the Asian market, she'd bring back some sort of surprise back for us, usually innocuous treat like green tea candies or Pocky or whatnot. One time she brought back and fried up these little "meat" nuggets and passed some around asking everyone "have you ever had duck? try it, tell me what you think!" Me being pretty food savvy, I could tell right away it was the Chinese mock duck made from seitan. I rushed to tell one of my co-workers "don't eat the 'duck'!" because I knew she had a legit gluten allergy and would've been making GBS threads her pants the rest of the shift.

We also made our own peanut butter in house, that was one of my prep jobs. KM was well aware that one of the other cooks, Pat, had a peanut allergy --- she'd be the first to tell new hires that fact. But I swear she always tasked me with making it when Pat was also working. I'd even say "why don't I do this tomorrow when Pat's off, so y'know, there's not peanut dust flying out the top of the robo-coup?" Never got a good answer.

I think she was trying to kill all of us, or maybe just had a case of brain worms (she's an out lesbian who voted for Trump, so... you be the judge). Just one of many reasons I don't work there anymore.

Sorry for the derail! (But at least it's about food and not etymology)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

You have the admire the audacity of introducing the section where you make the case for your recipe for ox liver with an anecdote about some posh toff MP poisoning his constituency.

Also those exotic locales where they consume the weirdest poo poo: China and France.

Also: Curry may be used.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love how this format of [story involving a particular dish] plus [bonus related story involving another food] followed by [recipe for the first dish] is absolutely echoed in the food blogs of today.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

SubG posted:

You have the admire the audacity of introducing the section where you make the case for your recipe for ox liver with an anecdote about some posh toff MP poisoning his constituency.

Also those exotic locales where they consume the weirdest poo poo: China and France.

Also: Curry may be used.

This is the essence of Britishness.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

I love how this format of [story involving a particular dish] plus [bonus related story involving another food] followed by [recipe for the first dish] is absolutely echoed in the food blogs of today.
Another thing that food bloggers and 18th and 19th Century cookbook authors have in common is that it can't be overstated how frequently they tell you that everyone else is getting it wrong. An example from The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy (Hannah Glasse, originally published 1747, these images from the 1774 edition):

I'd say tag yourself, but I'm pretty sure everyone is an old cock beat to pieces.

Also, ~*science*~ as a selling point for recipes hardly originated with Our Lord And Savior López-Alt:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm fuch an odd jumble.

Lardons are the best, I don't cook bacon any other way any more. Also, because if I cook slices, half/all of it disappears into my fiancè.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Who wants to join me on a journey of trying Confederate coffee substitutes from the Civil War? They roasted and ground just about anything edible, from sugarcane seeds and grape seeds to potatoes and acorns!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Who wants to join me on a journey of trying Confederate coffee substitutes from the Civil War? They roasted and ground just about anything edible, from sugarcane seeds and grape seeds to potatoes and acorns!

At first I thought “well, maybe they didn’t realize that caffeine was in coffee and not this other stuff, and that’s why they even bothered”, but nope, caffeine was discovered in 1819. Buncha decaf-drinking lunatics down south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My grandfather got used to weak or substitute coffee during the Depression and the war, and it wasn't until the 90s that he figured out he could drink real, strong coffee again.