Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm wondering what the Animal Crossing-equivalent response will resemble if the bomb drops that half of the villagers got scrapped from the game, a la Pokémon Sword & Shield

"Aw man! :cry:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So you all may appreciate how animal crossing helped me choose my career path. When City Folk came out, I wanted to collect every bug in the game because who didn't? However, every time I found a tarantula, I would gently caress up and get bit instead.

My hope early on in New Leaf was that I'd be able to catch a bunch of tarantulas and put them in my basement and advertise it as TarantulaTown for anyone who StreetPassed me, but I only ever managed to catch one, which I promptly gave to Blathers.

Speaking of, I really hope they go back to giving Blathers specific things to say for everything you bring to him. I was bummed when New Leaf cut that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

an owls casket posted:

My hope early on in New Leaf was that I'd be able to catch a bunch of tarantulas and put them in my basement and advertise it as TarantulaTown for anyone who StreetPassed me, but I only ever managed to catch one, which I promptly gave to Blathers.

Speaking of, I really hope they go back to giving Blathers specific things to say for everything you bring to him. I was bummed when New Leaf cut that.

blathers' reaction when you bring him a cockroach in the original game is one of my favorite moments in the whole series

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I found a good thing to say about Pocket Camp! I got to see a whole bunch of different villagers.

I never saw a bunch of different villagers playing the other games. I found most of them inoffensive enough to not force them to leave town so I didn't really cycle through neighbors.

My BFF in New Leaf was Lobo. I wouldn't let that cranky wolf leave town.

I'm not going to be Link again but I'll probably end up with some dumb pop culture reference. So far I'm trying to talk myself out of the following:

Paul / Arrakis
Jayne / Canton
LoneStar / Winnebago (The current leader)

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

enojy posted:

I'm wondering what the Animal Crossing-equivalent response will resemble if the bomb drops that half of the villagers got scrapped from the game, a la Pokémon Sword & Shield

"Aw man! :cry:"

I don't know that I would cancel my pre-order over it but I sure would be let down.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will sacrifice as many Bobs as possible to get Punchy, the actual best cat into the game.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
It looks like they got rid of that In-Game Purchases description on the Nintendo.com page

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I found a good thing to say about Pocket Camp! I got to see a whole bunch of different villagers.

I never saw a bunch of different villagers playing the other games. I found most of them inoffensive enough to not force them to leave town so I didn't really cycle through neighbors.

This is something I like about Pocket Camp as well. You get to see so many of the villagers, and between your camp + the cabin you can have a lot of favorites around all the time. There are so many different villagers in the main games - and I'm assuming New Horizons is adding more - that it would be nice if they made it easier to manage villagers. I wouldn't mind letting some move out now and again if there was an easy way to invite them to move back at any point. Plus I'd love to be able to go more all-in with town themes: have an all-cat town, or an all-food-themed villager town, or change out villagers each month so everyone living in town during a specific month has a birthday that month. :3:

I'm going to assume that level of control will never actually happen in the main game, but a girl can dream.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I will sacrifice as many Bobs as possible to get Punchy, the actual best cat into the game.

I regret to inform you that Punchy is actually the Second Best Cat after my BFF, Moe. But I too would sacrifice all the Bobs for my boy Moe.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

This is interesting, talking about villager management. To me, although there are plenty of villagers I do not like, that's part of the game. You live in a town, not everyone is your favorite, but you learn to live with them. I can see the appeal of easily swapping out villagers but for the way I enjoy the game, I wouldn't like it. I'd probably be tempted to use it, though...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've only played Pocket Camp, you mean I might not be able to get my favorites to live in my town? but I want Apollo and Freya to be my neighbors!!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ElTacoGato posted:

This is something I like about Pocket Camp as well. You get to see so many of the villagers, and between your camp + the cabin you can have a lot of favorites around all the time. There are so many different villagers in the main games - and I'm assuming New Horizons is adding more - that it would be nice if they made it easier to manage villagers. I wouldn't mind letting some move out now and again if there was an easy way to invite them to move back at any point.

I know what I want! I want the standard 8-ish villagers, with their houses and poo poo, AND a couple random other villagers visiting every day. And I can do favors for them so they'll like me and they might move in if one of the other villagers move out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I want them to go back to the original Animal Crossing's cap of 15 villagers instead of the 8-10 we've had since Wild World.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I was thinking about it today and I think a semi neat way to do DLC would be cultural/religious holidays. Like oh you bought the japanese holidays pack, now you can set it to celebrate golden day and etc instead of 4th of july.

I dunno.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I know what I want! I want the standard 8-ish villagers, with their houses and poo poo, AND a couple random other villagers visiting every day. And I can do favors for them so they'll like me and they might move in if one of the other villagers move out.

I guess they sorta kinda tried something like this with New Leaf, what with the camping tent/igloo that you could ask whoever was camping out to move in if you interacted with them enough and had the space. It was just one at a time, though, and not every day. Expanding that out more would be nice!

Also expanding the villager count living in your town back to 15, like Zore said.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GoodBee posted:

I guess I need a different name/town than Link/Hyrule this time around.

Funny thing is that you could get (Wolf) Link as a villager in New Leaf via the amiibo. Also Ganon.

Cooking would probably get super bloated fast but it'd still be neat; especially if you could have your own events with BBQs and inviting villagers over for dinner and such.

KittyEmpress posted:

I was thinking about it today and I think a semi neat way to do DLC would be cultural/religious holidays. Like oh you bought the japanese holidays pack, now you can set it to celebrate golden day and etc instead of 4th of july.

I dunno.

The whole mayor thing in New Leaf seems like a missed opportunity here. Though I get the impression Animal Crossing towns are meant to be vaguely American, though somewhere between a sleepy coastal village in either country.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i want 15 villagers as well and i want them to be the same 15 i have in my gamecube village, except for velma, who sucks

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why stop at 15? Make space the only limiting factor and I will cut down every tree on my island to make room for more villagers.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

My favorite animal was always Scoot, the duck.

There's this whole playlist of old GameCube moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocf6_xRjBqU

I'd completely forgotten that animals had umbrellas when it rained!

Also if there's DLC for the old GameCube soundtrack I will buy that in a heartbeat.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

scoot is one of the three original day 1 villagers still living in my gamecube village along with velma and bones, he rules

my fav villager however is iggy because he is high as gently caress

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Let us pay an exorbitant amount of bells and let us forcefully place and construct lots for new neighbours, as many as you can fit, creating unto ourselves a new hell of island suburbia of which we are lords of.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In wild world punchy told me that if the rain was chocolate milk instead of water he'd just lay on his back with his mouth open until he drowned

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

scoot is one of the three original day 1 villagers still living in my gamecube village along with velma and bones, he rules

my fav villager however is iggy because he is high as gently caress

Scoot was the duck with underwear on his head right? He was my favorite back in the day

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

sponges posted:

Scoot was the duck with underwear on his head right? He was my favorite back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nfW7Eq11X8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looks like the seaplane pilot is a dodo. GTA comes to mind.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SCOOT THE BURBS

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
The map is much bigger (it appears?)

Maybe more villagers... Or is it room for the town buildings?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is this canon? I always imagined it as made out of burlap or a similar cheap, tough material

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1227839800650059777?s=20

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Gripweed posted:

Is this canon? I always imagined it as made out of burlap or a similar cheap, tough material

Tom Nook's gonna be mad when he finds all of his pillows are gone.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The one draw back to this is every night you won’t be able to sleep because every raccoon in a mile radius will be banging on your windows pointing at that bag while glaring at you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gripweed posted:

- me opening my fallout 76 collectors edition

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm stupid excited for this game and my only regret is having a regular rear end job that will get in the way of my playing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm stupid excited for this game and my only regret is having a regular rear end job that will get in the way of my playing.

When i got Aminal crossing for the Gamecube i had an addiction that followed me to school and i would draw little houses and villagers in the margins of my worksheets

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm 100% gonna play AC in work

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i have it and i am going to play it

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I'm pretty much alone for the first hour at work, and I guess I'll be eating lunch in my car to play for a while.

Being sent on my first business trip ever in May, my first thought was 4 straight days of AC in my hotel, and keeping in touch with my wife through the game. :P

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The one draw back to this is every night you won’t be able to sleep because every raccoon in a mile radius will be banging on your windows pointing at that bag while glaring at you

Jokes on you, they're already at my window because I'm a giant pile of garbage.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm buying this for my wife (and a teeny bit for me to play co-op with her) since her birthday is on the 20th & she's already planned to have the 20-28th off. She just doesn't know she's going to be playing a hundred hours of AC yet

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Omnikin posted:

I'm buying this for my wife (and a teeny bit for me to play co-op with her) since her birthday is on the 20th & she's already planned to have the 20-28th off. She just doesn't know she's going to be playing a hundred hours of AC yet

This is the best strategy. Wrangle your spouse into it so you automatically start with access to two islands. I did the same with my husband who also has his birthday on the 20th.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

My friend and I played the hell out of the first AC and I swiped his memory card, buried all his furniture throughout his town, chopped down his fruit trees and left him a threatening note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

My greatest hope is that Ganon and Medli can move in to my town again. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game no matter what though.