Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

While I can sort of understand that they got together because they're both stuck in an extremely lovely situation, I still find them hooking up completely hilarious since from Luna's perspective, Shinn killed Meyrin along with Athrun.

Look, she had a crush on Athrun, Shinn killed Athrun, so she has to try for a relationship with Shinn. She didn't make Coordinator rules.

(And yeah. It's weird how chaste Kira and Lacus seem to be, especially considering how much loving Gundam tends to have.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tae posted:

Let's be real, they're together because of their va's

No, this was before they got married.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They still got a poo poo ton of roles together way before getting married.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tulalip Tulips posted:

His relationship with Lacus always came off as really painstakingly chaste. They couldn't even be super loving weird about each other which is the true failing of that pairing option for me. At least Lunamaria and Shinn actually seemed like they were in to eachother in a way other than Shinn being a knight for her.

Lacus is written very deliberately into being an ideal yamato nadeshiko figure, so her displaying things like basic human failings and emotions and needs is a no go.

amigolupus posted:

While I can sort of understand that they got together because they're both stuck in an extremely lovely situation, I still find them hooking up completely hilarious since from Luna's perspective, Shinn killed Meyrin along with Athrun.

This is actually a piece of really interesting and good character writing in Destiny, in my opinion. Luna, Shinn, Rey, and Meyrin are all very good military academy buddies. They look out for each other, they joke with each other, they hang out with each other, they work together constantly. Shinn's victory over Kira is as much due to Rey's help and Meyrin's operator skills as it is due to Shinn's piloting abilities.

This leads to Shinn being pretty devastated over what he has to do. When Luna finds out about what happened and runs into Shinn, the Shinn she runs into isn't proud or stoic or self-justified - he's immediately falling all over himself to apologize for what his orders forced him to do. If Luna and Shinn hadn't had a good relationship before that, her being angry or cold to him would fit, but in the situation they were in she could see that he was grieving too and they could share that grief, since no one else in the world seemed to care that Meyrin was gone(since Rey had basically checked out to become Durandal's Zealot). Since they're now basically the only emotional support for each other, one thing leads to another.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tulalip Tulips posted:

His relationship with Lacus always came off as really painstakingly chaste. They couldn't even be super loving weird about each other which is the true failing of that pairing option for me. At least Lunamaria and Shinn actually seemed like they were in to eachother in a way other than Shinn being a knight for her.

I suspect that Kira and Lacus are Fukuda's homage to Loran and Dianna honestly, and that Kira and Lacus have a knight and princess thing going on at least partially because that's how Loran and Dianna's relationship is often perceived. Fukuda has stated in interview before that Turn A is his favorite Gundam show (though you'd honestly never know from his directorial preferences), and there are a couple of other nods to the show in SEED and Destiny. There's obviously more going on there, and Murosawa has said she sees herself and Fukuda in the characters too but I think they're chaste at least partially because of Turn A.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

RillAkBea posted:

They take up the entire space of their rotational path but use less than 50% of that space. They'd be much better off with giant Stanford Tori.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Not quite. Kira does put a hole or two in the outer layer in one fight, but what actually causes the collapse is what Warmachine is slightly misremembering - Kira kills a GINN carrying anti-ship missiles, which then proceed to fire and fly off in a random direction and complete the destruction of the central support whatever. Hell, while Kira caused some damage, the vast majority of the damage that ultimately caused the collapse was entirely ZAFT's fault. Or in simpler terms, Episode 2 is the one where Kira's firing off the Launcher pack, while the collapse actually happens at the end of Episode 3... when he's using Sword.

Of course you could reasonably argue that the Archangel contributed to the damage too, what with it firing its main beam guns inside a colony, but we're not actually SHOWN where those shots go other than just missing suits.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Didn't Yzak or someone even make mention of the fact that they were sending out GINNs with siege equipment like it was really loving weird? Or maybe it was Mu. IDK, ya'll have noted that my memory isn't exactly great. Point being, going all disco with anti-ship and siege weapons inside your living space isn't a good idea.

tsob posted:

I suspect that Kira and Lacus are Fukuda's homage to Loran and Dianna honestly, and that Kira and Lacus have a knight and princess thing going on at least partially because that's how Loran and Dianna's relationship is often perceived. Fukuda has stated in interview before that Turn A is his favorite Gundam show (though you'd honestly never know from his directorial preferences), and there are a couple of other nods to the show in SEED and Destiny. There's obviously more going on there, and Murosawa has said she sees herself and Fukuda in the characters too but I think they're chaste at least partially because of Turn A.

I always got weird idol culture vibes here, though I can't really explain in further detail than that because I don't really understand what all that entails aside from encouraging unhealthy parasocial relationships with entertainers. I often saw it through the Doylist lens of "Lacus is supposed to be an idol, so she and Kira have to adhere to idol social mores." Which is pretty much a straight reading of Kanos' theory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, that's the ticket. Didn't Yzak or someone even make mention of the fact that they were sending out GINNs with siege equipment like it was really loving weird? Or maybe it was Mu. IDK, ya'll have noted that my memory isn't exactly great. Point being, going all disco with anti-ship and siege weapons inside your living space isn't a good idea.

I always got weird idol culture vibes here, though I can't really explain in further detail than that because I don't really understand what all that entails aside from encouraging unhealthy parasocial relationships with entertainers. I often saw it through the Doylist lens of "Lacus is supposed to be an idol, so she and Kira have to adhere to idol social mores." Which is pretty much a straight reading of Kanos' theory.

Try explaining Meer, then.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So here I am, watching 0083 for the millionth time while having a drink on an off day, and my question here is

"You know, I wonder what would happen if Kou was replaced by Amuro"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

So here I am, watching 0083 for the millionth time while having a drink on an off day, and my question here is

The series ends in the first episode

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MechaX posted:

What, like Beginning-of-OYW Amuro? Gato probably gets away clean because Amuro is only willing to fight at the beginning of the OYW in pure self defense.

If you're talking about a theoretical Amuro-in-0083-working-for-the-Feddies, then yeah, series ends in the first episode because Amuro hops in the GP-01 and turns the GP-02 into a slag pile before it can escape.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Where was Amuro in 0083? He was under house arrest by Zeta, right? Is there any supplemental material that covers between 0079 - 0086 for him?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Where was Amuro in 0083? He was under house arrest by Zeta, right? Is there any supplemental material that covers between 0079 - 0086 for him?

Some. One of the Origin mangas takes place between the original and Zeta.

Most of what we get in Zeta says he wasn't under house arrest per se, but he was closely monitored. He was also working as a pilot trainer for the Federation at the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah in Ecole du Ciel isn't he working in Montreal at a Mobile Suit flight school?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine it started as "We're gonna have a couple guys hang with you in case Zeon hard cases try to take you out" and eventually Amuro figured out it wasn't really that at all.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Darth Walrus posted:

Someone watched Single White Female too many times and got ideas.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

I imagine it started as "We're gonna have a couple guys hang with you in case Zeon hard cases try to take you out" and eventually Amuro figured out it wasn't really that at all.

"Eventually" assumes that Amuro isn't paranoid to figure it out at the jump.

Amuro's history doesn't suggest it would take that long.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If I never watch the episode of Destiny with Meer's bad end, it didn't happen.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

She had the better version of the song anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKGZwRZyWX4

They were redubbing SEED and/or Destiny, right? I wonder how the new versions sound.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

MechaX posted:

The real thing 0083 should've been is a Jerid origin story. Give me the background of god's greatest idiot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

She had the better version of the song anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKGZwRZyWX4

They were redubbing SEED and/or Destiny, right? I wonder how the new versions sound.

Kinda. They're dubbing the HD remaster/remake version with a new cast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

stabbington posted:

The real thing 0083 should've been is a Jerid origin story. Give me the background of god's greatest idiot.

Jerid could have replaced Monsha and it would make complete sense.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

tsob posted:

I like to think that Monsha is one of the people Jerrid shoved out of the helicopter while escaping the nuking of Jaburo.

I have no basis for this, I just really want after having watched the voyage of ups and downs that is 0083 the facist creep to be nuked.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did Monsha display some fascist leanings? It's been years since I've seen 0083, and as much of a petty turd as I recall him being, I don't remember anything implying he had a fascist worldview. I'm not discounting that I've just missed or forgotten it though.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

tsob posted:

Did Monsha display some fascist leanings? It's been years since I've seen 0083, and as much of a petty turd as I recall him being, I don't remember anything implying he had a fascist worldview. I'm not discounting that I've just missed or forgotten it though.

He joins the Titans at the end, and I can't imagine him quitting later.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Almost everyone on the Albion does, they're all trying on their new bowling team jackets at the end.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Has that still not happened yet? I swear that got announced like 3 years ago.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gourdcaptain posted:

He joins the Titans at the end, and I can't imagine him quitting later.

So did Emma. That someone is a Titan doesn't mean they're automatically fascist, because good (or just "not fascist") people end up fooled by bad government all the time. That's practically a throughline of Gundam really. I can definitely see Monsha getting a powertrip out of being a Titan, but I don't recall any real implications he was a fascist and not just a pretty rear end in a top hat all the same.

I wouldn't say Yazan is a fascist either, for an example of a bad but not fascist person. He was a complete dick to his enemies, and reveled in combat but he also showed some resistance to authority, and was against killing civilians in the name of a greater good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Monaghan posted:

Has that still not happened yet? I swear that got announced like 3 years ago.

It was announced for general 2020 back in July 2019

The announcement for this dub was like August 2017

I literally don't know why or how a dub this decade is taking so long

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kira crying just won't be the same without that authentic kicked-in-the-crotch wailing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Changing Dub Rau is a crime.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

Ehhh Jerid's whole motivation in early Zeta is that he's a young up-and-coming hot shot who thinks he's god's gift to the military and is aiming for greater things. Him having been an existing officer for years prior to Zeta would feel weird to me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

tsob posted:

So did Emma. That someone is a Titan doesn't mean they're automatically fascist, because good (or just "not fascist") people end up fooled by bad government all the time. That's practically a throughline of Gundam really. I can definitely see Monsha getting a powertrip out of being a Titan, but I don't recall any real implications he was a fascist and not just a pretty rear end in a top hat all the same.

I wouldn't say Yazan is a fascist either, for an example of a bad but not fascist person. He was a complete dick to his enemies, and reveled in combat but he also showed some resistance to authority, and was against killing civilians in the name of a greater good.

The Albion, Sans Synapse, Keith and Kou is folded into the Titans following Stardust, presumably as part of the effort to cover up 0083. Synapse is Court Martialed and executed. Keith is relegated to some backwater base and Kou is the same after his imprisonment

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Onmi posted:

The Albion, Sans Synapse, Keith and Kou is folded into the Titans following Stardust, presumably as part of the effort to cover up 0083. Synapse is Court Martialed and executed. Keith is relegated to some backwater base and Kou is the same after his imprisonment

Being relegated to a backwater base seems to be how the Titans deal with troublemakers. The same happens to Ford and Agar after they disobey orders and run off to stop Zeon Remnants from blowing up the Republic with nuclear bombs.

Also gotta say, the Gundam Legacy manga definitely conveyed some "bonds between men" energy between those two ex-Gundam pilots.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

super-redguy posted:

Being relegated to a backwater base seems to be how the Titans deal with troublemakers. The same happens to Ford and Agar after they disobey orders and run off to stop Zeon Remnants from blowing up the Republic with nuclear bombs.

Also gotta say, the Gundam Legacy manga definitely conveyed some "bonds between men" energy between those two ex-Gundam pilots.

Oh? In like a Shinji and Kaworu way?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Oh? In like a Shinji and Kaworu way?

Nah, Ford isn't worthy of Agar's grace.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Agar was the guy who piloted the Mudrock(or MADROCK depending on the translation) right?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

She's the inverse of Lacus? Lacus is the ideal idol, Meer is the inversion.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Changing Dub Rau is a crime.

I'm mad as hell that I ended up selling my OG Seed dub box set years ago.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Onmi posted:

I know this is some Mark Simmons-level "translated this random Gundam factoid off the back of a random Japanese Cereal Box" stuff, but where did Synapse's execution originate from? It was never stated in either the series or the OVA, but it was kind of one of those things that I accepted while originally seeing 0083 back on Adult Swim's original run after hearing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=8368

quote:

From what I understand, the details surrounding the execution of Synapse were detailed in the liner notes of the laser disc release... I think Mark said that, but I can't recall

quote:

As for Synapse's execution, the only official source that I own that states that Synapse was executed would be the timeline pamphlet included in the Volume 4 0083 DVD. (At least I'm guessing it's official; I haven't seen any timeline goofs that would negate it...)