Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

WCW still had good workers after Hogan came in, but by the time Nitro came about you could see this clear division between an athletic undercard and a spectacular main event.

See Eddie wrestle Rey! See Benoit wrestle Regal! Now change the channel to Raw!

it's almost like both companies were co-operating to make sure each got a decent share of the viewers

WCW's undercard was great while WWF had poo poo like the Godwinns and Truth Commission

then switch to WWF to see Austin and Foley and Taker and avoid WCW's clusterfuck nWo main events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Is The Rock the only person to be undefeated against Hogan who's wrestled him more than once?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Tony and Bobby hated one another, and the former usually knew what was going to happen while keeping the latter in the dark.

But Bobby was also smart enough to figure it out. I still love when Hogan came out as the third man and Bobby is yelling “but who’s side is he on?” While everyone else dismissed him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sting has beaten him many times and the Hulkster never got his win back, brother.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherofmustard posted:

Is The Rock the only person to be undefeated against Hogan who's wrestled him more than once?

Sting.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Halloween Jack posted:

Sting has beaten him many times and the Hulkster never got his win back, brother.

Holy poo poo, it's true. That owns.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've heard that Brain was not especially keen on Tony as a person, especially after Tony shot down the idea of doing a tribute to Gorilla Monsoon on Nitro?

Ah, gently caress I had forgotten all about that. That must've really killed Bobby :/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ganso Bomb posted:

Ah, gently caress I had forgotten all about that. That must've really killed Bobby :/

I thought it was throat cancer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know what was said in any off-air discussions, but Heenan just did it and Tony interrupted him and stepped on the moment.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've heard that Brain was not especially keen on Tony as a person, especially after Tony shot down the idea of doing a tribute to Gorilla Monsoon on Nitro? Tony could play off of Brain, but he often seemed a bit reluctant or even outright snide about it, perhaps due to his own disillusionment with WCW. That might have played a part in Brain not bothering anymore, but in general I feel like it was just that WCW didn't care, so why should he? If he can get drunk on live TV with no repercussions, then why not?

I mean, the people in charge were doing that for years before WCW actually became unbearable so why not.

And they weren't alone. I dunno about Vince ever being on anything on TV but Shawn and others definitely were.

My weird minor gripe with WCW is the refereeing. I dunno what it is, they just don't seem to "count right' in my mind. I was raised on WWF and maybe it's all in my mind but WCW counts were never dramatic enough.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The referees aren't supposed to be dramatic! They aren't the focus of the match.

Also, keep in mind that Tony kinda lost his motivation pretty early on. Basically, when Bill Watts retired, Tony and JR were the leading candidates for the job of executive producer but WCW went with Eric Bischoff instead. That led to JR going to WWF and Tony being disillusioned and kinda bitter about the whole thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've heard that Brain was not especially keen on Tony as a person, especially after Tony shot down the idea of doing a tribute to Gorilla Monsoon on Nitro?

In retrospect Tony was right to do this.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MrBling posted:

The referees aren't supposed to be dramatic! They aren't the focus of the match.

Normally I say yes, but I think a count should be dramatic because it is the object of the match. It deserves some exaggeration to draw attention to it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Defiance Industries posted:

Normally I say yes, but I think a count should be dramatic because it is the object of the match. It deserves some exaggeration to draw attention to it.

The New Japan ring announcer adds a lot drama to a count through his cadence.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

"The Terry Garvin school of self-defense"
God loving drat it Monsoon.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

If I ask "why" are you going to tell me some horrible thing about Gorilla Monsoon that's going to ruin him for me forever?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's in the post above yours where gorilla joked about the wwe child molestation ring

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

rujasu posted:

Heenan could still get a laugh every now and then though.

Mandatory repost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

If I ask "why" are you going to tell me some horrible thing about Gorilla Monsoon that's going to ruin him for me forever?

https://whatculture.com/wwe/18-wwe-easter-eggs-references-and-in-jokes-you-never-noticed?page=10

Apparently it could have just been a bad joke about him being gay, the kind of thing JR did to Patterson as late as at least 1999.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

https://whatculture.com/wwe/18-wwe-easter-eggs-references-and-in-jokes-you-never-noticed?page=10

Apparently it could have just been a bad joke about him being gay, the kind of thing JR did to Patterson as late as at least 1999.

It's not, Tom Cole refers to it in one of his interviews. They were joking about child molestation.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I forgot how badly Brain laughing throws Tony off his game.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Super No Vacancy posted:

it's in the post above yours where gorilla joked about the wwe child molestation ring

God drat it.

I'd never heard that phrase/reference before so had no idea what it even meant.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am not as up on my wrestling history, (both recent and otherwise), as I should be.

My question is: Is there a precedent for what Vince tried to do with Roman Reigns?

i.e. A promoter continually trying to push someone as a main eventer when they are not over enough/the crowd actively rejecting the push, (getting booed standing next to the Rock)? I am not talking about a Jeff Jarrett style push where someone is pushed above their level of overness/ability. More about a promoter/company going "THIS is the guy you love! I don't care how much you are booing/apathetic, this is the guy I will force you to love." etc.

Alternatively is there a precedent for the opposite happening. I.E. What they did with Daniel Bryan. "I don't care how much you love this guy and how over he is with the crowd, we are going to keep him in the lower card because WE don't want him main eventing." If I remember rightly WCW were monsters for doing this.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am not as up on my wrestling history, (both recent and otherwise), as I should be.

My question is: Is there a precedent for what Vince tried to do with Roman Reigns?

i.e. A promoter continually trying to push someone as a main eventer when they are not over enough/the crowd actively rejecting the push, (getting booed standing next to the Rock)? I am not talking about a Jeff Jarrett style push where someone is pushed above their level of overness/ability. More about a promoter/company going "THIS is the guy you love! I don't care how much you are booing/apathetic, this is the guy I will force you to love." etc.

Alternatively is there a precedent for the opposite happening. I.E. What they did with Daniel Bryan. "I don't care how much you love this guy and how over he is with the crowd, we are going to keep him in the lower card because WE don't want him main eventing." If I remember rightly WCW were monsters for doing this.

For the second part, RVD in 2001. Was getting huge pops and they didn't do poo poo with him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are you sure you aren't describing Jeff Jarrett? Because that sounds exactly like Jeff Jarrett. Or Greg Gagne. Or basically any other promoter's son.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

I don't think Cena counts since he was over as hell when he won the title at Wrestlemania 21 and then the entire fanbase over the age of 12 turned on him about 3 months later, but he's the closest I can think of in US wrestling.

In NJPW Tetsuya Naito went through something similar to Reigns but the crowd were into him for awhile and didn't completely turn on him until the latter half of 2013, at which point the company basically abandoned his push as hard as they could even though they pretty much booked themselves into a corner for Wrestle Kingdom 8 and couldn't just take away his title match. Took away the main event spot, though. But now Naito has been the most popular wrestler in the country for nearly 4 years because he completely reinvented himself and did basically the exact thing WWE refused to do with Cena and Reigns.

WWE's been doing the latter, very openly, for like a decade. Occasionally Vince will let one of them through like Bryan or Kofi but for the most part they've only gotten worse about burying people they don't want to get over.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rocky Maivia got death threats.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Triple H could probably be included in that.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Rocky Maivia got death threats.

Whatever happened to him anyway? After that Dwayne Johnson fellow showed up, it was like he fell off the face of the Earth.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My understanding is that Reigns was over and was talented but was pushed too hard and fast. He sounds a lot like Diesel in 1995. We all know Kevin Nash can be a popular star but not in the way Vince booked him. Vince seems to have one idea for his Top Guy and he wants to force everyone into it, even if it prevents the would-be Top Guy from getting over like they should.

Speaking of Roman, I've always wondered about how many women like wrestling. I'm told it's rather high. Bryan in a Retro show from early last year talks about how you don't hear the women screaming for the male stars like they used to every time Jeff Hardy took off his shirt. Roman seemed to be the last big female draw but hen he got sick for a good while and the women stopped screaming.

His theory was that women come to see studly men and not because of the women's revolution. I wonder if there's any way to confirm this.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 14, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Are you sure you aren't describing Jeff Jarrett? Because that sounds exactly like Jeff Jarrett. Or Greg Gagne. Or basically any other promoter's son.

Greg Gagne got over and was never really pushed above a level that he warranted. Jeff Jarrett definitely was and the early goal of TNA was to turn him into this Southern bad rear end.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Does the Lex Express count?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

NikkolasKing posted:

My understanding is that Reigns was over and was talented but was pushed too hard and fast. He sounds a lot like Diesel in 1995. We all know Kevin Nash can be a popular star but not in the way Vince booked him. Vince seems to have one idea for his Top Guy and he wants to force everyone into it, even if it prevents the would-be Top Guy from getting over like they should.

Speaking of Roman, I've always wondered about how many women like wrestling. I'm told it's rather high. Bryan in a Retro show from early last year talks about how you don't hear the women screaming for the male stars like they used to every time Jeff Hardy took off his shirt. Roman seemed to be the last big female draw but hen he got sick for a good while and the women stopped screaming.

His theory was that women come to see studly men and not because of the women's revolution. I wonder if there's any way to confirm this.

My future wife and I went to a Thunder taping in Baton Rouge in the late 90s. At some point they pulled down Ric Flair's trunks so that his bare rear end was in view of us all.

She was repulsed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Silly Burrito posted:

My future wife and I went to a Thunder taping in Baton Rouge in the late 90s. At some point they pulled down Ric Flair's trunks so that his bare rear end was in view of us all.

She was repulsed.

Yeah thunder sucked by that time

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Does the Lex Express count?

Lex got over and business improved during the Lex Express! Not winning the title cooled him off.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

NikkolasKing posted:

New Japan's current golden age was partly built off of pushing Tanahashi/Okada/Nakamura/Ibushi as heartthrob icons, which trickled down to the rest of the card, and as a result they have a very strong female fanbase despite not having a women's division.

There is definitely a market for the female gaze in wrestling, you just have to be smart about it.

E: Like, one of YOH's signature spots is the camera slowly zooming in on his bouncing pecs. They know exactly what they're doing.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 14, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

oldpainless posted:

Yeah thunder sucked by that time

Burrito must have a huge dong or something, if she didn't dump him for taking her to Thunder

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Burrito must have a huge dong or something, if she didn't dump him for taking her to Thunder

That's actually where they met. Future Burrito Wife saw Flair's rear end and to wash the sight out of her mind looked at the nearest stranger, and there was Burrito, who managed to successfully not be Ric Flair's rear end.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Benne posted:

New Japan's current golden age was partly built off of pushing Tanahashi/Okada/Nakamura/Ibushi as heartthrob icons, which trickled down to the rest of the card, and as a result they have a very strong female fanbase despite not having a women's division.

More than that I've heard that the female NJPW fanbase can be pretty hostile to the idea of including women's wrestling into NJPW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah, when they bought Stardom one of the Japanese wrestling blogs did a survey of whether they should integrate Stardom into NJPW and the men's responses were mostly positive or ambivalent and the women were strongly against it. Kinda puts the whole white dude podcasters demanding NJPW introduce a women's division into perspective.