Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
After you beat Grimgor, you got Snikch coming at you from the east. If you're unlucky, Snikch will get to you before you finish Grimgor. Vampires can still pressure you with corruption from the north if Kadrin falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
On the other hand, Grombrindal's basic dwarf warrior units can easily have MD stats in the 70's in defensive battles, even without points in the red line. This makes them more or less immune to orcs and rats.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Kroq gor legendary start is a lesson in patience.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Hey, does Thrones of Brittania still suck? I'm reading some historical fiction and I really want to gently caress up some Saxons...but I remember the game being not great when it came out.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It got some decent patches that livened up the campaign map; the province building system is very clearly the ancestor of how it works in Three Kingdoms. However, they didn't really manage to make it less boring. There's very little variety in the rosters, and the fact that nearly every infantry unit has the Shield Castle ability makes things worse. The main differentiation between factions comes from where they start on the map-- Ireland has all the churches and research bonuses, whereas England has all the markets and money. I had a decent time with it, but I'd never go back for a third campaign, there's just not enough meat on the bone.

Get it on sale if you really love the time period.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I don't get the roster complaint at all. The different culture groups all have distinct specialties and signature units. I'd agree to wait till it's on sale tho

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I already own it, it just wasn't installed. I installed it....and wow is it just as boring as I remember. None of the fun of WH, none of the charm of 3K. And everything just moves so slow.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

toasterwarrior posted:

After you beat Grimgor, you got Snikch coming at you from the east. If you're unlucky, Snikch will get to you before you finish Grimgor. Vampires can still pressure you with corruption from the north if Kadrin falls.

Walls on your eastern settlement stop basically everything and are a must.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

JBP posted:

Is the dwarf start significantly harder now? I can barely break out of silver peak or whatever because everytime I travel the couple of turns it takes to get somewhere else I've got stacks and stacks of orcs coming in.

I feel like I should just smash and grab stuff while I build up to walls for everything it's nuts.

dwarves are also one of the factions are desperately needs some of it's higher tier stuff to actually function properly as an army, otherwise it's just a menacing anvil. Also; extremely boring! Unlike, say, skaven which is similar there's no way to jumpstart that

it does promote you just defending your initial area and defending yourself for a while, which is very on brand.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah once you get walls on all three settlements defending with a mini-stack vs Bloody Spearz becomes trivial.

Also, I'm for prioritizing Black Crag over Gunbad. It puts your main army in a position to respond to Grimgor and Wurrzag rather than being many turns away up north, and it's still a gold mine and ten-slot. Plus taking it cripples Grimgor forever. Gunbad will still be there and once you've got Black Crag you can upgrade your defense stack to a full one to march up and take it.

Especially considering that Gunbad is going to be tier 1 or 2 if you rush it. It will grow slow as hell unless you put a growth building there, which means sacrificing either PO or gold, and if you sacrifice PO then you'll need someone sitting in it (especially if the VC stop sucking and start killing Zhufbar like they used to) and then the brightstone mine costs like 10k to build at T3. It easily pays itself off but Black Crag will produce dividends much faster, defends itself, and is in a way more useful spot strategically.

e: also new dwarf players take note that it is illegal to not rename Black Crag to Karak Drazh after you take it

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 14, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

toasterwarrior posted:

Its crazy that the one building that Mannfred puts in Drakenhof that spreads Vampiric Corruption to neighboring provinces can get Karak Kadrin and Zhufbar up to 50% Vampiric Corruption by turn 40 or so. On VH this forced me to end Mannfred rather than ignore him because Dwarf anti-corruption is so limp I was facing rebellions every few turns in my capital.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I am terrifyingly indifferent towards Orcs, but madly in love with Night Goblins. How valid is a ( Night) Goblin only run in mortal empires?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Pretty hard, I'd say. Unless you have the Skarsnik DLC, which basically requires it as well as making it extremely possible.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah if you play Skarsnik then it's not only required but optimal. Basic goblin infantry are better in Skarsnik's own army (since he can give his whole army poison attacks) but night goblins are useful for other armies.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: also new dwarf players take note that it is illegal to not rename Black Crag to Karak Drazh after you take it

A true son of the Dawi

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
It's kind of a shame that Ekrund doesn't have a landmark building or something for the Dawi, since it was a well known almost Karak that fell and would give players a goal to move towards the west. Maybe a brewery or something that gives growth to all provinces? Apparently it's where the ancestors of Josef Bugman came from, so you could even throw in buffs to his rangers.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Maybe I've just been lucky but I usually find Snikch ends up brawling with the other dwarven faction in the south. I end up pounding on him when I'm all done wiping out the Orks across the dustbowl. A lot of the time he tries to ally with me too which is funny.

I started up a Lothern legendary campaign in ME and it's actually going very poorly between the Dark Elves and constant harassment from Noctilus. I've even had Mousillon try to take a few settlements which is hilarious because he has weaker enemies surrounding him. But as usual High Elf archers win the day, its really hard to lose early games with them.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

The Gunslinger posted:

Maybe I've just been lucky but I usually find Snikch ends up brawling with the other dwarven faction in the south. I end up pounding on him when I'm all done wiping out the Orks across the dustbowl. A lot of the time he tries to ally with me too which is funny.

In my last SFO dwarf game as Thorgrim, Snickh and Queek confederated, and I ended up fighting a two front hellwar. Queek had taken over all the Orc lands except for Black Crag by the time I got down there, so it was a loooong campaign. Hide-and-seek in the mountain passes wasn't too bad, but the giant plain between settlements in the Wolf Lands was Skaven ambush hell.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Did they ever fix hammerers to not die in droves and be generally disappointing as hell?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks guys! Getting Skarsnik then.
How could I not?! :allears:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a big fan of renaming in general: give every lord and hero some nickname based on what they've done. Raised a mini stack lord to thwart beastmen? That's not Johannes Smitt, that's Johannes the Stalwart.

Then 20 turns later when he dies in a fight you can go "oh yeah he was that one guy, drat, I remember when he saved Helmgart."

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's the weakness of the rats vs Bretonia? Just slam their lovely rats while horses bee-line for all their arty poo poo?

Realized in my Lyonesse campaign that the red-rats killed everyone in the bottom right, have like 8+ full stacks roaming around (i've got uh, 3? almost 4? but hosed up the grail vows or whatever on a couple so don't have the best horses on half of them), and the few battles i've fought i've lost more than i'd want to.

Mostly it seems all those warp grinders really chew my dudes.

Also is there a way to change flag colors in the battles? Me and the red rats both have red banners (white on red, and black on red) and they're kinda hard to tell apart at a glance.

And dam I was going to play as Kislev next game, thinking it'd be cool to do a eastern europe type race, then turns out they aren't even in the game yet!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm playing as the Chevaliers right now on Hard and Henri de Massif doesn't give a poo poo about enemy artillery or who comes to help them.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Warp grinders are really good but a low model count. They need to be ranged to death immediately, via bowmen or magic. trying to tie them up with peasants, they can use their ability to quake them to death, tie them up with high armor and they can just punch them while clanrats prevent you from disengaging.

I've been using warp grinders in front of my ratling gunners for those exact reasons and it's been great. but lots of ranged will ruin their day.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The only reliable spears that rats have are cheap clanrats or fielding expensive stormvermin so mass cavalry can overrun most Skaven armies easily. Wall fights are gonna suck but what else is new, at least trebuchet spam and lord/hero spam are available options.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doomykins posted:

The only reliable spears that rats have are cheap clanrats or fielding expensive stormvermin so mass cavalry can overrun most Skaven armies easily. Wall fights are gonna suck but what else is new, at least trebuchet spam and lord/hero spam are available options.
Thankfully Repanse, Henri, and a Life Mage at the bottom of the wall make city fights a complete joke.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seriously considering making her "Repanse!" bark a phone sound.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gyrotica posted:

In my last SFO dwarf game as Thorgrim, Snickh and Queek confederated, and I ended up fighting a two front hellwar. Queek had taken over all the Orc lands except for Black Crag by the time I got down there, so it was a loooong campaign. Hide-and-seek in the mountain passes wasn't too bad, but the giant plain between settlements in the Wolf Lands was Skaven ambush hell.

this is where im at too in my sfo campaign. thorgrim to hold home, grombrindal loving up the eastern rat holds, and im about to bring belegar out with an ambush bait army of flame irondrakes and ironbreakers and an anti-artillery air force. ambush away rat fucks, youre gonna get toasted

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Ammanas posted:

this is where im at too in my sfo campaign. thorgrim to hold home, grombrindal loving up the eastern rat holds, and im about to bring belegar out with an ambush bait army of flame irondrakes and ironbreakers and an anti-artillery air force. ambush away rat fucks, youre gonna get toasted

Yeah, I had trouble with their three full stacks of reinforcements on an ambush, but that's also because I had trash units from not having the time/money to change them out for things like gyrocopters.

Instead I did lots of feints snuck around them with another couple of stacks to take their cities from behind. Still lost some armies to super-ambushes - if a stack had to hang out next to a settlement, they'd get ganked.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Are there any good skaven team up factions? My friend and I enjoy doing coop campaigns. Dunking on high elves is the best but we've do e it quite a bit as the delves at this point.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
lokhir and skrolk are canonically BFFs

all skaven start pretty far from each other tho, closest would be ME queek and sniktch

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vortex ikit and skrolk are close

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Tarpit + grinders. IIRC the quake ability effects troops on walls even though the grinders aren't. Won a siege assualt battle by just walking them up to the wall and repeatedly using that while jezzails shot anybody visible on the walls. They eventually shattered just by how many dudes died compared to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In ~~the canon~~ skryre and pestilens are archrivals as the two largest clans. One of them plus anyone but the other is the story option. Also it’s the skaven version of like, hobbits vs orcs and I love it.

Otherwise Ikit and Skrolk are the best vortex pals, or Sniktch and Queek ME.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
finally played a bit of mixus

really ok with the centaur beastmen getting 4 start positions

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did they ever fix hammerers to not die in droves and be generally disappointing as hell?

I don't believe that hammerers have been changed in any way. Still no shield and 0 missile resist, which was always their biggest problem. The AI will go to great lengths to shoot at them, too. I once had a unit of them parked probably 150m behind my front line, and the AI drove a cannon up in range of them, completely ignoring the fact that they long ago could have started firing at my other units.

I do enjoy having 1 or 2 units of them in an army, though. They're very good in siege attacks and quite capable of beating up enemy lords and heroes or shoring up breaks in your battle lines as a reserve force.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

KPC_Mammon posted:

CA held a grudge from tantrum spirals caused by the miner dying for not mining enough gold and opals on an igneous map

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The big Skaven civil war in lore was basically between Skryre holding Skavenblight and Pestilens trying to breach it, which is my main reason for shifting away from Plagueclaw Catapults to pure Warp Lightning Cannons whenever I play Skryre. Traitor-rear end mice don't get to play with the big guns

Also this is why I've been hoping so bad for Poisoned Wind Mortars and was delighted as gently caress when they came out, they basically supplant Plagueclaws in terms of anti-infantry for me and are thematically-appropriate!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Skryre and Mors make a fun co-op experience on Mortal Empires - you can basically divide the map at the gulf that goes in to Barak Varr, with Mors taking the Badlands and the World's Edge Mountains and Skryre taking all the human lands in the north. It's easy enough to link up and fight in tandem too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Devorum posted:

Hey, does Thrones of Brittania still suck? I'm reading some historical fiction and I really want to gently caress up some Saxons...but I remember the game being not great when it came out.

Play Age of Charlemagne instead and choose Widukind's faction. Bigger map, better mechanics.