Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Orv posted:

The most absurd part is somehow the ashtray.

Surely their target audience would have a recharging vape stand instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
lol, adult man playing video games!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd buy something like that if it were less, hm... Gamer-y?

But yeah being able to play comfortably on huge screen would be pretty tops; controller covers a lot, but not everything

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HmHEMDPnpE

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Does it jerk you off too?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Am I a scrub for making this out of plywood and calling it a day?

I DID put a cupholder insert at the top eventually, that was pretty swank.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just hop on Amazon and search "Lap desks" for about a billion different variations of a pillow with a board affixed to it for under $30.

Like this one for $16

https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Porta...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Orv posted:

The most absurd part is somehow the ashtray.

That reminds me of the old Thermaltake cigarette lighter cup holder drive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CJacobs posted:

Love to wear my shoes in the house while I'm chillin on the sofa like a freak
i'm literally doing this right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghostlight posted:

i'm literally doing this right now.

I am calling you out on it buster. You get those drat shoes off what were you raised in a barn

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Det_no posted:

Imagine being stuck with the dumb baby version and not having this spaceship command console version.

A bad gamer.

Love the logo

OUCHMASTER

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
[OUCHMASTER

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Void Destroyers 2 had been vaguely on my radar for a while, so it leaving EA is a good an excuse as any to check it out.

Anyone who has played already got any "wish I knew this at the start" tips?

Priority Missions: they don't have a time limit, and they don't go away if you don't do 'em. They're basically faction story missions. Some of them are really tough compared to the other available missions, so come back when you're in a better ship.

Story missions: follow these to do the main story.

And beyond that it's mostly a matter of learning the game. Or at least that's as far as I've gotten so far!

PS the rook sucks, it's basically a rock with a gun stapled to it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, Priority Missions can, in fact, be safely ignored until your convenience?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Also on Void Destroyers: Is it for me if I wanna do arcade ship dogfights, upgrade ship, get into bigger dogfights, etc?

I have Rebel Galaxy and I like it but that's more of an AC ship warfare thing somehow, didn't give me that free flight feeling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Artelier posted:

Also on Void Destroyers: Is it for me if I wanna do arcade ship dogfights, upgrade ship, get into bigger dogfights, etc?

I have Rebel Galaxy and I like it but that's more of an AC ship warfare thing somehow, didn't give me that free flight feeling.

Yeah. The dev made a video showing what the game's about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3yC_bdBkcw

And in there, there's a sequence where he shows off his mid-game fleet of ships attacking a base and he sets them up in RTS mode, then swaps back to a fighter and gets involved in the skirmish.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Daemon X Machina or Metro exodus?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Has there ever been a video game where priority mission didn't mean "everything but this mission is a priority"?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Det_no posted:

Imagine being stuck with the dumb baby version and not having this spaceship command console version.

A bad gamer.
I admit it: I've dreamed of having my own Star Trek captain's chair since I was a little child and I might try to build that thing myself just so that I can finally get to live out that fantasy.

I don't even have a sofa.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I want one of those things with a monitor stand, so I can game on my couch with a monitor for those games that have teeny text.

I should really just get glasses but the place near me is always closed on my day off.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gonna need one with space for at least three monitors, six speakers, HOTAS, five bowls of snax, hot plate, ketchup dispenser, Dew bottle, and oxygen tank

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I want one of those things with a monitor stand, so I can game on my couch with a monitor for those games that have teeny text.

I should really just get glasses but the place near me is always closed on my day off.

Don't dilly-dally on glasses. If you need them more than you'd like to admit it'll be like going from the lowest setting for textures to the highest one. All of a sudden people won't have a Metal Gear Solid 1 face anymore when they are standing at a distance!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you're prone to stress headaches, it'll substantially reduce those as well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Serephina posted:

Yes. When your skill/reputation/max mission rank with a faction gets high enough, you get a priority mission from them. When you do that mission you unlock the next tier of cool stuff from them and can start to rank up even higher till you get to the next priority mission. There's no time limit on them.

As for very important things to know: Armor Upgrades, Armor Upgrades, Armor Upgrades. Armor is an incredibly important stat, when you buy a new ship, look at the base armor and also get armor upgrades ASAP. It's a flat reduction by the indicated amount - and yes 1 or 1.5 doesn't seem like much. But when most fighter guns only do between 3 and 5 per shot, it is a massive defensive upgrade.

Other important thing: When hiring people through the commerce screen, remember you pay the listed amount every time you undock. So the longer you keep your wingmen. Their pay is deducted visually on hiring, but you can fire them to get all of it "back". So feel free to hire and fire wingmen as needed - generally they more than pay for themselves if they help you kill even a single ship of similar size during your mission. Extremely worth it.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 15, 2020

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So now that its on Steam, should I get Metro Exodus for 40% off or wait for another sale and hope for more?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Nuramor posted:

So now that its on Steam, should I get Metro Exodus for 40% off or wait for another sale and hope for more?

get it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuramor posted:

They’re still making DLC for it, aren’t they? I’d figure this will be the sale price until that’s done.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

They’re still making DLC for it, aren’t they? I’d figure this will be the sale price until that’s done.

I think Sams Story was the last planned DLC for the expansion pass.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

haldolium posted:

I think Sams Story was the last planned DLC for the expansion pass.

Oh, I thought there was one more.

Even still, if they just finished making DLC I can’t see it going for much cheaper for a while. I’m sure it’ll end up absolutely dirt cheap like the other Metro games eventually, though.

I just bought it even though I’ve never beaten the other two games. I just want to see that sweet sweet ray tracing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Flimf posted:

Anyone tried this Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emblem looking "french revolution but anime" game? Looks kinda neat.

Banner of the Maid
https://store.steampowered.com/app/994730/_Banner_of_the_Maid/

I remember a few goons here praising it when the English version was still in beta.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nuramor posted:

I would just play it on Xbox Game Pass. Although to be fair it seems the DLC isnt on game pass

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would just play it on Xbox Game Pass

The Game Pass’s UI and download speeds are so bad that I buy stuff on Steam even though it’s available there. And I’ve had a lotof problems with Steam, but it’s still less of a pain in the rear end than using game pass.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Game Pass’s UI and download speeds are so bad that I buy stuff on Steam even though it’s available there. And I’ve had a lotof problems with Steam, but it’s still less of a pain in the rear end than using game pass.

You are supposed to pay for Game Pass to save money elsewhere, you weirdo!

In the case of Metro Exodus, the Microsoft Store (thus Game Pass) version is really messed up though. Really hard to edit game files because where it is stored (no deleting the intro movies, a labyrinthine hunt for an ini). It needs to “adjust settings” every time you boot it up for some reason and that takes half a minute more, even stored on a SSD. And the Dolby Atmos setting is just broken. I think they had a QoL patch for the game recently and it would longer to arrive on the Microsoft Store... yeah.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 15, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

You are supposed to pay for Game Pass to save money, you weirdo!

In the case of Metro Exodus, the Microsoft Store (thus Game Pass) version is really messed up though. Really hard to edit game files because where it is stored (no deleting the intro movies, a labyrinthine hunt for an ini), it needs to “adjust settings” every time you boot it up and that takes half a minute even with a SSD and the Dolby Atmos setting is just broken. I think they had a QoL patch recently and it would arrive on the Microsoft Store later... yeah.

I do save money on things that are Microsoft store exclusive that I always wanted to try, like State of Decay 2 or Halo Wars 2 (which is so much more fun than I expected) Generally I’ll buy something on EGS before I deal with Gamepass, though. I’m also paranoid about running into some kind of Netflix rights expiry type thing while I’m halfway through a game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Flimf posted:

Anyone tried this Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emblem looking "french revolution but anime" game? Looks kinda neat.

Banner of the Maid
https://store.steampowered.com/app/994730/_Banner_of_the_Maid/

I rather liked it.

Now this game here, I didn't rather like. It's not bad, just very simple in a way I'm not interested in.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2

15. Serious Scramblers

A lack of ambition isn’t the kiss of death for a game, but it isn’t going to help it, either. I look for games that have something to say, or new ideas to share, or just a really compelling gameplay loop. I don’t normally end up with games like Serious Scramblers, little more than a score attack platform dash, not because I dislike them but because I’m not looking for the very specific sort of mastery challenge they offer. If you do, this will be a fine little diversion for you, otherwise there’s not a whole lot to attract folks here.

With no story to clutter the proceedings, you are simply a ninja descending a series of platforms into a nigh-bottomless cave. Some of these platforms have coins on them, others have enemies, and many more still have traps like retractable spikes and fire bars. Descend far enough to the flag and you earn the privilege of moving to the next stage, but the spiked ceiling is following you down so there’s no time to dawdle. Coins can be used to unlock new characters or start right back from where you died instead of resetting the level, but other than that it’s a straight shot down the hundred or so levels to the end.

There’s little else to talk about, really. The screen wraps around the outer edges, so you can use that to dodge danger or reach tricky platforms. Supposedly there’s a boss at the end of all this, but without much to the levels, I didn’t see much reason to get to it. With no jump button or attacks, all there is to learn is the timing for traps and the accuracy to goomba-stomp enemies on the way down. Different characters can behave quite differently, like falling slower or having permanent speed boosts or being lifted wholesale from SUPERHOT. Still, you’re liable to find one that works for you and stick with it, particularly the ones that make more coins appear regularly.

Again, Serious Scramblers isn’t a bad game. It sets out to do one simple thing, and it does it admirably. I just can’t say I’m very interested in the thing it’s doing. If you’re here for a very focused, specific challenge that you’re somehow not getting from Downwell, then you’re bound to get more mileage out of this than I. The faux-CRT pixel graphics are decently colorful and the sound design gets the job done, just not in a memorable way. And doesn’t that seem to sum up the situation here? Serious Scramblers gets the job done for simple platforming that ratchets up the challenge, but there’s nothing about it that’s going to stick with you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey thread. Is there a way to make a game never ever update? There only seems to be options for updating when the game starts or making the updates high priority.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey thread. Is there a way to make a game never ever update? There only seems to be options for updating when the game starts or making the updates high priority.
If you set the game to "only update when I launch the game" and then go offline with the Steam Client before you start the game, it'll never update. There doesn't seem to be a way to just tell the client not to do it, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

If you set the game to "only update when I launch the game" and then go offline with the Steam Client before you start the game, it'll never update. There doesn't seem to be a way to just tell the client not to do it, though.

And, if you ever delete it, you won’t be able to get that version back.

So glad I still have my disc copy of CoH, the multiplayer balance changes hosed up the single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It also doesn't work if Steam is aware of the update, it won't allow you to play without updating even in offline mode. Real answer here is either never go online with Steam or find a crack for that version of the game.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2020