Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/james_holzhauer/status/1228464493572784128?s=21

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Tom was a holdover from the previous tape day, very excited to see how he does tonight. We may have all dodged a bullet here.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

someone wagered $420 today. i thought that was against the rules or whatever

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

banned from Starbucks posted:

It’s possible they missed it, and basically had to just roll with it.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Apparently not:

Spokes posted:

We were specifically told (July 2019 taping, so perhaps they codified it recently) that the five banned wagers were 14, 88, 1488, 666, and 69. Someone asked about 420 and Maggie was just like “ayyyyyyy”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Really? None of them knew Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They should take 1488 off the ban list and wait and see if anyone ever uses it, and if they do all their winnings get automatically donated to charity and the platform they stand on ejects them directly into the ceiling.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s possible they missed it, and basically had to just roll with it.

Alex called it an interesting wager or something like that. I don't think he knew what specifically, but he knew that it referenced something.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Tom was a holdover from the previous tape day, very excited to see how he does tonight. We may have all dodged a bullet here.

Welp. Great job to MacKenzie though! She was the other holdover.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Nope, Corina said since it is legal in California where the show tapes, it's fair game.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just got to the episode from two Wednesdays ago and jokingly responded "fridge" to the Double Jeopardy clue to complete the rhyming lyric from "Annie" that was obviously going to be "orphanage."

Then the guy answered "fridge."

The same guy suggested in Final Jeopardy that John Brown lost to this man, who would lead his own rebel army a few years later: Hamilton.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Welp. Great job to MacKenzie though! She was the other holdover.

Nope, Corina said since it is legal in California where the show tapes, it's fair game.

69ing is legal in every state tho

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
So is being a Nazi. Both are probably inappropriate for a show that's rated G, though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

So is being a Nazi. Both are probably inappropriate for a show that's rated G, though.

The president is on TV all the time

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
So now they have a qualifying test that you can take anytime (until April). If you just took a test in January, you can take this one too, and they'll count whichever score is higher

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/jeopardy-online-test/what-jeopardy-anytime-test

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

That is cool! I just suspect that no matter how large their pool of questions, cheating is going to be rampant.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
they should also let people back on the show who lost and just be like....ehhhhh....give it another go dude

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Anne Whateley posted:

So now they have a qualifying test that you can take anytime (until April). If you just took a test in January, you can take this one too, and they'll count whichever score is higher

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/jeopardy-online-test/what-jeopardy-anytime-test
loving great! I didn't do as well as I have in the past on the January test so this is awesome.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mennoknight posted:

they should also let people back on the show who lost and just be like....ehhhhh....give it another go dude

There is definitely precedent of game shows having a tournament of losers.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

mennoknight posted:

It’s gotta suck to be someone who, in a different circumstance, could’ve won 3 games against “normal” competition but instead on their first game they got matched against James. And then that’s it, that was your one lifetime jeopardy shot and it’s over now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

When Ken was competing against Watson he said something like "Knowing the answers but being a hair slower on the buzzer is indeed very frustrating. I forgive anyone who lost to me for rooting for Watson."

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

So It Goes posted:

It’s gotta suck to be someone who, in a different circumstance, could’ve won 3 games against “normal” competition but instead on their first game they got matched against James. And then that’s it, that was your one lifetime jeopardy shot and it’s over now.

even just a 5 day champ like the guy who mopped my floor, then got killed game one of his next day's taping. Sure is fun to imagine being selected just 2 games later and you definitely don't dwell on it for the rest of your life or anything

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've thought of all the people Ken crushed watching him lose on a fairly easy Final to someone who would lose the next game.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

mennoknight posted:

even just a 5 day champ like the guy who mopped my floor, then got killed game one of his next day's taping. Sure is fun to imagine being selected just 2 games later and you definitely don't dwell on it for the rest of your life or anything

big mood

Luckily I was significantly outplayed (or outbuzzed, at least) by BOTH the champ (jason z in game 16) and the other challenger, so there's really not much to dwell on. 29 days until i can apply to other shows! onward and upward

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Lebbenon

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I took the Anytime! Test and probably bombed. At what point can I take it again?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Old Will Ferrell not very good at Jeopardy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

packetmantis posted:

Seriously how do you fail at not answering in the form of a question that much?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
In this house we stan MacKenzie

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

packetmantis posted:

Dude went from potentially taking the lead on a Daily Double in Double Jeopardy to $200 in the hole. Probably within a minute.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Fuckin' A, I got the audition e-mail again! I'm scheduled for Portland on March 21, but I'm seeing if they can rebook that 'cause I have a conflict.

But I will ditch the conference if it comes down to it. gently caress THE KIDS IMMA BE ON JEOPARDY

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Albino Squirrel posted:

Fuckin' A, I got the audition e-mail again! I'm scheduled for Portland on March 21, but I'm seeing if they can rebook that 'cause I have a conflict.

But I will ditch the conference if it comes down to it. gently caress THE KIDS IMMA BE ON JEOPARDY

Yesssss go and kill it !

Remember that beyond the second test, they look to make sure you are good for tv. Just have fun, have fun stories, and be upbeat.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

Awesome, congrats!!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
You guys track your coryat scores? What kind of scores are you getting? I started watching the show a week into James' run and I get anywhere from 12 to 30 a night.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL no.

My coryrats were $9800 and $8000. Probably double that if I'm doing it at home and am not actually competing against others on the buzzer.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh, man, Trebek sounds terrible tonight. :sigh:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

packetmantis posted:

Oh, man, Trebek sounds terrible tonight. :sigh:

I noticed it too, didn't he say he had a cold?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

I noticed it too, didn't he say he had a cold?

That and cancer.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He did sound bad :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I saw an official post (facebook maybe?) that he had a cold while taping that week but it's all better now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I hope MacKenzie plays forever.