Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Coolguye posted:

fine, i apologize for its use then, but this entire situation feels a lot like the last time someone tried to sneer at me for saying some poo poo they wanted me to say rather than what i actually said

Welcome to the internet, where people talk past you to have the conversation where they are winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ actually it's good to point out when people are using slurs and maybe don't realise it??

Coolguye posted:

fine, i apologize for its use then, but this entire situation feels a lot like the last time someone tried to sneer at me for saying some poo poo they wanted me to say rather than what i actually said

it's cool, like I said I've heard it being used a lot lately by people who wouldn't say that kind of stuff (usually non-brits too), so it's extremely weird and it's apparently because of Leon Kennedy or something?

but yeah it's basically :sissies: fyi

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Coolguye posted:

the game's not bad, the developer's just kind of a ponce so various spats over crap he said/did in his game because ~historical accuracy~ overshadowed the game itself.

just don't go in expecting the REALISM that some of the game's advertising spouts off about and you'll be in good shape.
it's not even very historically accurate

for example, the game is set less than 10 years before a big civil war or something and shows no signs of the tensions that would be leading up to it

i saw an Actual Historian on twitter yelling about the food and clothing in a screenshot once but don't have a link

It's also got alchemy that Actually Does Stuff, but that's waaaaay off from what people thought magic stuff did in the time period

EDIT: Also you can be so dirty and smelly you get actual mechanical stealth penalties and this somehow gives you a bonus to the opinion of women you interact with

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

flatluigi posted:

"a prick online" is understating that the game's director was an outspoken gamergate supporter and a loving Burzum fan who considers the game's all-white cast to be a selling point & intentionally stoked anger to sell the game directly to the alt-right crowd

There’s also some kinda chuddy content in the game itself. It’s not that in-your-face but there were a bunch of times playing I thought “wow that’s kind of inappropriate/tone deaf.” At the time I didn’t know about the issues with the director but when I eventually heard about it the pieces fell into place.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
my preferred opening to KCD is to pick flowers for 2 hours to give me the muscles i require to choke out the guards and steal their armor/weapons so i can murder the invaders coming into my quiet peasant village

this is realism

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zereth posted:

EDIT: Also you can be so dirty and smelly you get actual mechanical stealth penalties and this somehow gives you a bonus to the opinion of women you interact with

pheromones, bro

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Zereth posted:

:biotruths:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On the EGS store page for KCD the "HD textures" and "HD voices" DLCs are also free.
No idea whether they are important.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

~Coxy posted:

On the EGS store page for KCD the "HD textures" and "HD voices" DLCs are also free.
No idea whether they are important.

Post release stuff. They’re a lot bigger on the hard disk than the original install, pretty sure they are always free on Steam though

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Coolguye posted:

Post release stuff. They’re a lot bigger on the hard disk than the original install, pretty sure they are always free on Steam though

I assume it is the same on EGS, since they are listed as “free” instead of “$€£¥ FREE”. Makes no sense to charge money for something you didn’t make part of the base game to cut down on the download size.

I’m pretty sure the 4K Textures DLC for Final Fantasy XV was 60 gigs, more than half of the base game :monocle:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 14, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

baka kaba posted:

^^^ actually it's good to point out when people are using slurs and maybe don't realise it??

it's cool, like I said I've heard it being used a lot lately by people who wouldn't say that kind of stuff (usually non-brits too), so it's extremely weird and it's apparently because of Leon Kennedy or something?

but yeah it's basically :sissies: fyi

Ponce de leon kennedy. Not the greatest before and after username.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Regardless of background, "Free" felt like the right price for KC:D. Played about two hours of it this morning and wow there is a lot of pointless exposition. I think I got maybe 10 minutes of actual "gameplay" in that time. That's not counting the fights that only exist to put you on your rear end or make you reload from an auto save (because lol saving outside of chapters/sleep uses a resource because as we all know drinking a bottle of schnapps is realism for saving your game).

I'm going to play it a bit further when I'm not doing anything else, but even knowing you're intended to be a know-nothing kid from the get go instead of a competent protagonist it's so boring

Oh, and the game freezes if it's not in focus, even in borderless windowed mode, so you can't even do anything else during half-hour long exposition

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ilmucche posted:

Ponce de leon kennedy. Not the greatest before and after username.

ohhh ok, I thought maybe he blurted it out during an iconic scene in the RE2 remake

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FFT posted:

Regardless of background, "Free" felt like the right price for KC:D. Played about two hours of it this morning and wow there is a lot of pointless exposition. I think I got maybe 10 minutes of actual "gameplay" in that time. That's not counting the fights that only exist to put you on your rear end or make you reload from an auto save (because lol saving outside of chapters/sleep uses a resource because as we all know drinking a bottle of schnapps is realism for saving your game).

I'm going to play it a bit further when I'm not doing anything else, but even knowing you're intended to be a know-nothing kid from the get go instead of a competent protagonist it's so boring

Oh, and the game freezes if it's not in focus, even in borderless windowed mode, so you can't even do anything else during half-hour long exposition

i'm willing to forgive the schnapps thing with regard to saving since saving is one of those gamey things that will never, ever make sense in a 'realism' setting but making them static resources in a game like KCD would be super bad since you're frequently 10+ minutes away from a usable bed and that's not okay when you get a text that says you need to get going right now. but a lot of the perk stuff like the aforementioned pheramones perk for smelling like a horse or any of the bullshit i pull in the game intro is just abominably stupid.

like to be clear, this is a chatlog of how i spent 2 hours in the time-frozen tutorial to walk out of the gate a mid-level player by breaking 'realism' over my knee

highlights include:
- picking about 3000 herbs
- getting a 'LEG DAY' perk to level my strength during those herb pickings
- using the LEG DAY strength to choke out innocent guards and steal their weapons and armor (i guess i'm good at BJJ or something)
- fistfighting the guards that i have previously choked out to further powerlevel strength (or steal more of their instantly-respawning weapons)
- using a stolen bow to kill the well equipped guards
- healing all wounds in a quarter second by returning to henry's mom
- using this absurd amount of power to entirely break the early narrative by killing all the invading enemies it puts in my path with the bow i've stolen

all in the course of an in-game morning because as previously mentioned time is loving frozen in the tutorial and there's no upper limit to how much time you can gently caress around

baka kaba posted:

ohhh ok, I thought maybe he blurted it out during an iconic scene in the RE2 remake
i was remiss to not mention it earlier btw but i really appreciate you treating me like a human rather than a hater itt

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

it's all good bud :frogbon:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

baka kaba posted:

I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not so I went with the safe joke

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Coolguye posted:

i'm willing to forgive the schnapps thing with regard to saving since saving is one of those gamey things that will never, ever make sense in a 'realism' setting but making them static resources in a game like KCD would be super bad since you're frequently 10+ minutes away from a usable bed and that's not okay when you get a text that says you need to get going right now. but a lot of the perk stuff like the aforementioned pheramones perk for smelling like a horse or any of the bullshit i pull in the game intro is just abominably stupid.

like to be clear, this is a chatlog of how i spent 2 hours in the time-frozen tutorial to walk out of the gate a mid-level player by breaking 'realism' over my knee

highlights include:
- using the LEG DAY strength to choke out innocent guards and steal their weapons and armor (i guess i'm good at BJJ or something)
- fistfighting the guards that i have previously choked out to further powerlevel strength (or steal more of their instantly-respawning weapons)
- using this absurd amount of power to entirely break the early narrative by killing all the invading enemies it puts in my path with the bow i've stolen

all in the course of an in-game morning because as previously mentioned time is loving frozen in the tutorial and there's no upper limit to how much time you can gently caress around

i was remiss to not mention it earlier btw but i really appreciate you treating me like a human rather than a hater itt

I bounced off this when I had to do a simple chore and the drunken rear end in a top hat beat the gently caress out of me, but now I'm gonna emulate this starting plan.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Coolguye posted:

highlights include:

That reminds me of the old doug the eagle articles on how to break Ultima, System Shock and other such games. Ahhhh.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Coolguye posted:

highlights include:

Can you keep doing stupid "doing it wrong" stuff like this successfully once you leave the frozen tutorial zone?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zereth posted:

Can you keep doing stupid "doing it wrong" stuff like this successfully once you leave the frozen tutorial zone?

Yup. It’s never quite as dramatic as it is in the tutorial zone since at the absolute least there’s stuff like the day/night cycle but using the skills you got there you can do stuff like rob a town’s garrison blind and go the next town over to sell all the crap you robbed. There are no consequences for this so long as you’re not caught red handed.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Coolguye posted:

I suspect he's too pure for this game, but this sounds exactly like ulillillia's jam

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Coolguye posted:

Yup. It’s never quite as dramatic as it is in the tutorial zone since at the absolute least there’s stuff like the day/night cycle but using the skills you got there you can do stuff like rob a town’s garrison blind and go the next town over to sell all the crap you robbed. There are no consequences for this so long as you’re not caught red handed.

But also with the day/night system you have the opportunity to come back to a bandit camp late at night when they've taken their armor off and gone to sleep, and you can slowly choke them out one by one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

But also with the day/night system you have the opportunity to come back to a bandit camp late at night when they've taken their armor off and gone to sleep, and you can slowly choke them out one by one.

Knowing nothing of this game, this sounds like emergent gameplay! ...Unless it's a guaranteed thing, which it probably is?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Just to be sure: you are killing them?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Knowing nothing of this game, this sounds like emergent gameplay! ...Unless it's a guaranteed thing, which it probably is?
It's pretty much guaranteed, I think?

Mierenneuker posted:

Just to be sure: you are killing them?

You initially choke them asleep for a period, but after everyone is out you go back and murder them. With an upgrade you can make it a kill from the get go.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
The combat is aggressively bad. Oblivion did it better.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

oh dope posted:

The combat is aggressively bad. Oblivion did it better.

Holy poo poo is that ever damning

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but man i did not enjoy it at all. Maybe I'm missing something.

But speaking of free games, I just now realized I have copies of Faster Than Light and XCom: Enemy Unknown in my Steam inventory. I have no idea where they came from or how long I've had them, but I already own both games so if you want one or both, shoot me a pm.

Edit: They gone

oh dope fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 17, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Faster Than Light is really good. Wish the in-game achievements were Steam achievements though.

Holy gently caress. They are now. I'm totally playing through it again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Faster Than Light is really good. Wish the in-game achievements were Steam achievements though.

Holy gently caress. They are now. I'm totally playing through it again.

I read that it’ll give you the achievements retroactively, too!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I read that it’ll give you the achievements retroactively, too!

It's been 8 years. I'm going to steam achievement manager them away and erase the cloud save.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Zesty posted:

It's been 8 years. I'm going to steam achievement manager them away and erase the cloud save.

I got the stupid Crystal Cruiser the 'proper' way (before they added the ship that starts with a Crystal crew member in the enhanced edition)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I can't get layout B for the Crystal Cruiser. I've done like 25 full length runs with layout A to get the achievements to unlock and it just never happens.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I can't get layout B for the Crystal Cruiser. I've done like 25 full length runs with layout A to get the achievements to unlock and it just never happens.

Are the instances not being helpful or are they not registering?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

FFT posted:

Are the instances not being helpful or are they not registering?

I'm not given any opportunities to trap 4 people in a room with the Crystal person, and I never can kill 10 Rock ships (or it's not registering).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I don't know that I ever pulled 10 Rocks in a run, but the trap four is as simple as shattering O2 or health bay so they go all hands about it. Possibly while everything else is on fire? It's been a while.

/e don't destroy O2 on Rocks because they don't care as much

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Call of Cthulhu and Star Wars battlefront (old game) is free on Xbox if you have the gold membership thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Faeria are free on Epic this week.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Syndicate's the one set in Dickensian London, right? It's pretty good, the grappling hook is fun, even if it does basically eliminate most of the climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, it's also I think the last one under the old AC style. It was pretty well received if memory serves, though that might've only been because it was following Unity.