Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I haven't touched Stellaris since like a year ago, what are the essential mods now? They change like every major version from what I can remember lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The latest dev diary said there would be something about performance improvements next week.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

goose willis posted:

I haven't touched Stellaris since like a year ago, what are the essential mods now? They change like every major version from what I can remember lmao
imo: starnet ai, improved planet and sector automation, guilli's planet modifiers, dynamic difficulty, mod menu, carrying capacity, tiny outliner, unofficial hive dlc, unofficial machine and synthetic dlc

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Deuce posted:

Are the pre-placed abandoned gateways an avenue for invasion into my territory? Do I need to bunker them up?

Destroyed and deactivated gateways are perfectly safe to keep around (they can only be used while people aren't at war with the owner, so your enemies need to conquer the systen to use it)

L-Gates on the other hand are free for all and can be used by everyone at any time once reactivated.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yami Fenrir posted:

Destroyed and deactivated gateways are perfectly safe to keep around (they can only be used while people aren't at war with the owner, so your enemies need to conquer the systen to use it)
Wouldnt they need to conquer it to repair it to use it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wouldnt they need to conquer it to repair it to use it?
Well at some point you'll probably repair them yourself. Also you get a random one when you repair your first one, I think it weights toward empty space but maybe if they're all in territories someone else's first time activation could power on yours.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly if the AIs are beating you to repairing gateways (and you aren't intentionally stalling on them) then you're already in a very strange game.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jabor posted:

Honestly if the AIs are beating you to repairing gateways (and you aren't intentionally stalling on them) then you're already in a very strange game.

I always play on Grand Admiral so they generally beat me to Gateways pretty easily.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Zane posted:

imo: starnet ai, improved planet and sector automation, guilli's planet modifiers, dynamic difficulty, mod menu, carrying capacity, tiny outliner, unofficial hive dlc, unofficial machine and synthetic dlc

In addition to these, until the next patch, the "performance" series which reduces later game lag by modifying how pop employment is calculated is pretty essential.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1882139456 - base mod
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1943060017 - config menu
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1990079757 - adds compatibility with most mods
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1990646390 - blocks AI from more things such as creating 12,000 gene-modded races
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1992015610 - adds compatibility with starnet ai

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Jabor posted:

It's a rare tech so sometimes you just don't get the rolls you need to get it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I thought that guy was kidding when he said that the AI recalculates ALL pop jobs every day/second, until I saw it with my own eyes. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Slave portraits flickering as they never live the same day twice. All those moments add up, like tears into rain. Stellaris must die.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
yeah, it makes the game unplayable eventually without a mod that addresses it; unfortunately those sort of fixes are necessarily hack-y, hopefully Paradox fixes it with the next patch

considering the last patch was literally just "let's completely gently caress up the game launcher and destroy modding" and nothing else i'm skeptical

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lum_ posted:

In addition to these, until the next patch, the "performance" series which reduces later game lag by modifying how pop employment is calculated is pretty essential.

So...if I have no mods right now, can I get away with just the base mod one, or do I need to also install the config menu, and also the no "12,000 gene-modded races" one?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's hosed up that mods exist to fix the notorious performance bugs that've been in the game for years but if you use them you can't get achievements because paradox is up their own rear end about cheevos (steam cheevos no less) being "legitimate."

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Good news for me I guess, I have never cared about achievements! Bring on the mods.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

ulmont posted:

So...if I have no mods right now, can I get away with just the base mod one, or do I need to also install the config menu, and also the no "12,000 gene-modded races" one?

If you don't install the config menu there's a fake edict which invokes it.

The no 12,000 gene-modded races is strictly optional, the real performance hit is from the daily job recalc.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

And Tyler Too! posted:

Good news for me I guess, I have never cared about achievements! Bring on the mods.

I've got roughly 700 hours in this game and I've yet to unlock a cheevo, playing this vanilla is for suckers

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
the achievement stuff cracks me up like steam achievement manager isn't a thing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

I thought that guy was kidding when he said that the AI recalculates ALL pop jobs every day/second, until I saw it with my own eyes. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Slave portraits flickering as they never live the same day twice. All those moments add up, like tears into rain. Stellaris must die.

Yeah just start a game with the 40% slavery pop ratio option and watch as every day the game says "oh this 11th person should be a slave" or "oh this 11th person should not be a slave"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Yami Fenrir posted:

L-Gates on the other hand are free for all and can be used by everyone at any time once reactivated.
Your enemies can't use activated gateways either unless they control the system during a war.

Basically, no, they are not a back door unless they're L Gates

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah just start a game with the 40% slavery pop ratio option and watch as every day the game says "oh this 11th person should be a slave" or "oh this 11th person should not be a slave"
I know I keep saying this but recalcing should be an on-event firing (spawn/death/resettlement of a pop, on completion of a building/district, on enabling/disabling of a job, on change of job prioritisation or planet designation, on completion of a genemodding/robomodding task, on change of species rights... can't think of anything else), as well as a start-of-month catchall for weird edge cases. Add a manual "recalc" button for the anal retentive.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ShadowHawk posted:

Your enemies can't use activated gateways either unless they control the system during a war.

Basically, no, they are not a back door unless they're L Gates

This is pretty much what i meant to say. Sorry for the awkward wording

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CainsDescendant posted:

I've got roughly 700 hours in this game and I've yet to unlock a cheevo, playing this vanilla is for suckers

Roughly 1400 hours, zero achievements :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Libluini posted:

Roughly 1400 hours, zero achievements :v:

That's quite an achievement

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah I was kind of taken back when I played through a medium map without mods and Steam tells me that something like only 1.4% of the people have beaten the game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's odd, really. Been here since the beginning. It was a building here, a building there, a mod here, a mod there. Much like CK2, really. The result is very few achievements, mostly because it's more and more of a pain to shut them all off and remember what I had on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Entorwellian posted:

Yeah I was kind of taken back when I played through a medium map without mods and Steam tells me that something like only 1.4% of the people have beaten the game.

With a free form strategy game like Stellaris, that information doesn't even help a lot, as for all you know, those 1,4% might be people who just put two AI on a tiny map with the lowest settings on everything, than bumrushed them with corvettes to win the game in under an hour. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm playing a knifefight game, but everyone's being friends and I'm doing too well out of it to kick anything off.

Why the hell are these edicts instead of ship augments?????

(and volatile land clearance should be a per blocker choice)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I take back everything I ever said about the sorting system working. I just opened my pop screen and watched the workers suddenly flicker violently as they suddenly decided to all change jobs, and now that they're finished there's a mining bot working a clerk job while my weak primary species toils in the mines.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I take back everything I ever said about the sorting system working. I just opened my pop screen and watched the workers suddenly flicker violently as they suddenly decided to all change jobs, and now that they're finished there's a mining bot working a clerk job while my weak primary species toils in the mines.

XT-38 STRONGLY BELIEVES SOCIAL MOBILITY INCLUDES ROBOTS

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Suggestion: Completely remove the time-to-demote mechanic, replace it with a weighting preference away from dropping a tier and a happiness penalty for recently demoted pops.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there an actual reason researching anomalies doesn't give experience, like to prevent experience farming or something?

E: Never mind, sorta: it does give a small amount but only at the end of the research.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 15, 2020

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
Is there a species build that is more stupidly broken as Mech Tech with authoritarianism?
Not only do you get dual growth pipeline from having robots, but authoritarian instead of xenophobe allows you to take Nihilistic Acquisition without losing out Refugees Welcome.

the growth is insane; my primary species is devoted nearly entirely to a single science world while freshly enslaved refugees/stolen pops/droids perform all the worker jobs

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do refugees actually make up a substantial portion of that growth? I've never really noticed it making a difference.

That's probably the strongest of the regular bio builds, though it relies on having the military force to actually Nihilistically Acquire.

I've actually had really good success just playing (Spiritualist, for Temples) Inward Perfection. The pop growth bonuses will reliably skyrocket your pop growth and allow you to pull off strong science plays.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PittTheElder posted:

Do refugees actually make up a substantial portion of that growth? I've never really noticed it making a difference.

That's probably the strongest of the regular bio builds, though it relies on having the military force to actually Nihilistically Acquire.

I've actually had really good success just playing (Spiritualist, for Temples) Inward Perfection. The pop growth bonuses will reliably skyrocket your pop growth and allow you to pull off strong science plays.

Refugees can be a big deal if there's a lot of exterminator empires running around. Less so if there's a bunch of peacenik Federations. In my last game I was swimming in extra pops, right up until a killbot empire blew through two empires and punched through my Bastion before I could research Citadels.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
agree w/r/t refugees. pops are almost the best metric for power.

Zane fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 16, 2020

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is why hiveminds and bots are the only true way to play the game, they never have to deal with that kind of crap. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Refugees can be a big deal if there's a lot of exterminator empires running around. Less so if there's a bunch of peacenik Federations. In my last game I was swimming in extra pops, right up until a killbot empire blew through two empires and punched through my Bastion before I could research Citadels.

Oh yeah, my last run was some science squids who loved freedom on a mostly empty map, so I was kind of surprised when after a couple of centuries of slowly filling up the map a Lithoid devouring swarm (my invention, not a random AI) suddenly showed up. They had quietly eaten their way through half the map and as soon as they started tearing into my neighbors, tons of refugees started arriving.

When I put that save on hold, my empire was already 1/3rd alien, up from nothing, just thanks to the constant stream of refugee pops. (I even had started to put down "exile" colonies of their preferred habitat to re-route the refugee streams more efficiently)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ditched knife fight game and started a new tiny map. First, literally the first, system I enter: Horizon Signal triggers.

Gonna be an interesting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Ditched knife fight game and started a new tiny map. First, literally the first, system I enter: Horizon Signal triggers.

Gonna be an interesting game.
I'm so jealous.