Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They also took out the camera shake, so it doesn't feel as powerful either. It's similar to a complaint a lot of people had about Gears of War when it went it changed hands. The new gears doesn't the sound design or camera shake to make you feel like what you're doing is visceral and powerful, and Andromeda MP had the exact same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They also hosed up the charge/nova loop with the cooldowns but broke melee so your biotic punch did insane damage. Then fixed it so you just charged, farted out a shockwave, fired your shotgun, then used nova, and it felt like poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Moola posted:

ME3 MP is pure power fantasy and I love it still to this day

So many character classes are just complety off the wall and not something you'd expect them to ever make playable.
Like a loving volus biotic god, or a loving huge Geth that is too big to take cover but has tons of health to compensate; krogan with a massive loving hammer just slamming away at everything

MEA MP was so loving garbage by comparison

The silly classes were put in right at the end of the new content updates. The vanilla game with very vanilla classes was very playable and fun though at launch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hobbesmaster posted:

The silly classes were put in right at the end of the new content updates. The vanilla game with very vanilla classes was very playable and fun though at launch.

They got increasingly stupid with them. I enjoyed the Cerberus Biotic Commando that had weird electric whip things for some reason.

I wish they'd re-release ME3:MP as some standalone thing tbh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

They got increasingly stupid with them. I enjoyed the Cerberus Biotic Commando that had weird electric whip things for some reason.

I wish they'd re-release ME3:MP as some standalone thing tbh

Spiritually warframe is the closest thing to it.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Von_Doom posted:

I can’t remember as I only rented it the once but didn’t they remove the Krogan shouts as well? Nothing more satisfying than backhanding people into orbit and hearing your Krogan just love being a Krogan. I also loved the piss out of playing the Geth and that one scavenger race with the flamethrower. Gods ME3 multi was so good. It had flaws (see synch kills from halfway across the screen and the frelling Collectors) but so much fun.

Oh man the Krogan sound design was the best in multiplayer. When you had two or more going it was a symphony of cackles.

"rrrRRRAAH! Ha ha!"
"MRWRAH!"
"rrRRRAAAH! ... Ha ha ha ha!"
"Rah hah hah hah ha!"
"Ha! Hah hah ha!"

Case in point: https://youtu.be/uM14uAVRfM8

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

marshmallow creep posted:

They also took out the camera shake, so it doesn't feel as powerful either. It's similar to a complaint a lot of people had about Gears of War when it went it changed hands. The new gears doesn't the sound design or camera shake to make you feel like what you're doing is visceral and powerful, and Andromeda MP had the exact same problem.

I haven't played Gears in many years, but coming home after getting laid off, and just laughing maniacally as I ripped up people with the chainsaw bayonet on the battlefield was very cathartic.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it was Mac Walters.

This would explain so much

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes I know

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
It was very good then it got even better.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yes I know

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

IM AGREEING WITH YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
if i were bioware i would allocate all my man power into making da4 a good game, why the gently caress they are still trying to make anthem happen?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zeta Acosta posted:

if i were bioware i would allocate all my man power into making da4 a good game, why the gently caress they are still trying to make anthem happen?

A whole lot of people bought it, was one of the top 10 sellers of the year, so some EA higher-up undoubtedly wants to tap into that existing market for micro transactions

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Wouldnt be cheaper putting in place a content pipeline instead of doing a new thing?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh man wait until you hear what the rumour mill has to say about DA4

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Yeah thats the thing DA4 development is already a trainwreck, why they are not fixing that hell hole?
They already killed ME, nobody cares about anthem. DA is not a household framchise like the Witcher
Just what the gently caress Bioware

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Oh man wait until you hear what the rumour mill has to say about DA4

C'mon man, don't tease like that, what's the deal with DA 4

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kaysette posted:

IM AGREEING WITH YOU

Yes I know

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tetrabor posted:

Oh man the Krogan sound design was the best in multiplayer. When you had two or more going it was a symphony of cackles.

"rrrRRRAAH! Ha ha!"
"MRWRAH!"
"rrRRRAAAH! ... Ha ha ha ha!"
"Rah hah hah hah ha!"
"Ha! Hah hah ha!"

Case in point: https://youtu.be/uM14uAVRfM8

oh man that owns, now I want that in every game

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Eastbound Spider posted:

It's gonna be bad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Moola posted:

Yes I know

Eastbound Spider posted:

I don't fully remember now, but it was something like: they had planned to have a more systemic approach to choice and consequences and storytelling in general, and it sounded interesting. Then either they or EA decided that it should actually be more like a looter shooter

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Eastbound Spider posted:

They were working on a direct singleplayer sequel to Inquisition's Solas plot from the DLC. Then management canceled it and scrapped everything, so Bioware veteran and creative director of the Dragon Age games Mike Laidlaw left Bioware.
Bioware then started from scratch on a Dragon Age skin for Anthem.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
DA4 will finally kill the corpse of bioware forever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if Dragon’s Age 4 and Anthem 2 and Andromeda 2.... are all the same game??

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What if Dragon’s Age 4 and Anthem 2 and Andromeda 2.... are all the same game??

I eagrely await the bioware cinematic universe

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I hope "Bioware" doesn't implode before they can release Dragon Age 4: Live Service Edition.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it was Mac Walters.
Pretty sure Kai Leng showed up first in a Karpyshyn book, but was reused in Mac Walters' awful comics. The "pissing in cereal bowl" event was in Mass Effect: Deception that was written by someone else entirely.

Don't get me wrong, Karpyshyn's ME books were not good either. Illusive Man and Cerberus going from renegade black ops to the by far most powerful faction of humanity started in his books. I don't know how much of the idiotic plot development after the first game can be attributed to a single writer, though. I'm guessing Mac Walters and Casey Hudson did their fair share, too.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I don't fully remember now, but it was something like: they had planned to have a more systemic approach to choice and consequences and storytelling in general, and it sounded interesting. Then either they or EA decided that it should actually be more like a looter shooter

Gasoline posted:

They were working on a direct singleplayer sequel to Inquisition's Solas plot from the DLC. Then management canceled it and scrapped everything, so Bioware veteran and creative director of the Dragon Age games Mike Laidlaw left Bioware.
Bioware then started from scratch on a Dragon Age skin for Anthem.

Gobblecoque posted:

It's gonna be bad.

I can't wait.

:bioware: :allears: :bioware:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
NuBioware moved away from Dragon Age's original RTSRPG because it doesn't translate well to consoles.

Pretty soon its going to be "Press 'A' to Pay Your Dragon Respect"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Press a button to make something awesome happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only reason that Dragon Age Origins kept its CRPG roots is because it had been in development since before KOTOR released and console RPGs were still the domain of Japanese developers. It's really only with KOTOR and Morrowind that traditionally PC-based RPGs started getting traction on consoles. Origins had a long rear end development period and it's probably the best overall game that Bioware ever made. Not their most popular, but still a rock solid example of taking old school CRPG mechanics and updating them.

Then EA got their hands on Bioware and we got this beautiful wreck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5abtM6PaVo

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Chomp8645 posted:

Press a button to make something awesome happen.

Press A to gigglesquee.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man this is a stroll down memory lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrfbzecJ0iQ

How naive were we to think that Dragon Age 2 was the nadir of the games industry back in 2011?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Because you can only judge up to the present. Someday Bioware may make a worse game than Anthem and you'll have people going "eh, I remember playing it for a bit, it wasn't that bad."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think anyone was seriously saying DA2 was The Worst Game Ever, most of the mockery it got was because of the DARKER. SEXIER. BLOODIER. button-awesome. Etc. Stuff

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Dragon age 2 was terrible actually

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Dragon Age 2 had appropriate scope given the fourteen month development cycle, which is an amazing accomplishment for Bioware. It was still very bad, though. Not Andromeda or Anthem bad, because it was fairly stable as I recall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moola posted:

Dragon age 2 was terrible actually

But nowhere near the Worst Game Ever

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

DA2 was bad for :bioware: back then but the bar is so low now that if DA4 doesn’t brick consoles it’ll be considered a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

precision posted:

But nowhere near the Worst Game Ever

sure!

Honestly I was more angry at it for almost being good. It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember liking some of the characters (hairy chest dwarf still owns) and some of the side story stuff

The bad HEAVILY outweighed the good though...

also lol at PC Gamer giving it RPG of the decade