Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Went for 20,190. :sigh:

God drat that's almost exactly what I spent on my E82, granted it was 4 years newer and had half the miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Going in tomorrow to get my girlfriend transmission wiring harness rewired.
I made the mistake of finding the full recall repair instructions. Super, duper glad this is a lease. I can’t see those little crimp on connectors that lengths the wires lasting more than the initial warranty of this thing.

The whole thing for post delivered cars seems a lot fiddlier than the repair option for new cars. It’s a lot of cutting and splicing and taping and yikes.

May be confusing you with someone else, but is that for a brand new M5?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Wow that boulder absolutely trashed that Camaro!

Interesting that the Axis and Allies are still at it all these decades later.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Wow that boulder absolutely trashed that Camaro!

Haha I thought that was an M4/should have bought a Camaro joke until I saw this

https://m.imgur.com/2293BE7

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
:getin:

Sight unseen E46 M3 is here.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Step 1: take those dumb loving stripes off the grille
Step 2: Burnout

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Love me some carbon black.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I like the stripes but its also the first time I've seen that so

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wtf you're only supposed to put the stripes on a bog standard 3

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

drat you must be pleased. Agree with stripes bad. They should be black/red/yellow :deutschland:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wtf you're only supposed to put the stripes on a bog standard 3

It's this. That's probably just a 318 all dressed up like an M3. The stripes are a dead giveaway.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Can confirm car is slow. My Miata is faster.

No joke though the shifter in this thing is loving garbage. It feels loose and sloppy. I know it's not the bushings because they're brand new. How do I get this thing tighter?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

UUC kit? I did an E60 lever and new bushings/etc on my M5 and it’s right tight but I did EVERYTHING down there, maybe they skipped something? I’ve driven E46s that felt pretty good but don’t remember if they were stock or not.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

heated game moment posted:

May be confusing you with someone else, but is that for a brand new M5?

That’s me. Apparently the kit had the wrong clips. So they are waiting for clips. That TSB is brutal. They strip parts of the harness, crimp in some cables and rewrap parts and clip them in a little differently. My advisor verified that it was a lease, since this repair is clearly geared to get people juuuust over the warranty line. Maybe.

I’m in a new 530e loaner. With no charging cable and a drained battery.

I pray to the roundel lords that my M5 gets back before I drive to Vegas in a few days.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Diametunim posted:

Nice TJ

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Diametunim posted:

No joke though the shifter in this thing is loving garbage. It feels loose and sloppy. I know it's not the bushings because they're brand new. How do I get this thing tighter?

Buy a DCT E9x

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Diametunim posted:

BMW shifters have never been Mazda/Honda good, with that said, which bushings were replaced? There are a bunch in the shifter to transmission assembly.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 15, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Best shifter I have met was in a T180 celica.
Crisp, with firm pattern, almost seemed like that https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news-pictures-600x/these-are-the-last-ferrari-models-with-a-manual-transmission-139084-7.jpg

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BMW manual shifters have always been a bit of an acquired taste, along with typically heavy clutch pedals. They aren't bad, but they might not be what one would initially expect in a sporty car. They've never been the super tight snick-snick shifters with feather weight clutches like the good Mazda & Honda ones.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Quick question on build sheet stats

X2 I looked at on paper, had the premium enhanced package, and M Sport X, but lists the interior as black leatherette

I thought with the M Sport X package you automatically had the Dakota leather seats, shouldn't that over ride the base black leatherette selection?

Unfortunately the car is a demo so wasn't available to be looked at when I was there

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've never been huge on shifter feel, but owning an S2000 legit ruins everything else. I almost can't believe there are short shift kits for it since the throw is already stupidly small when compared to anything else I've driven.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Back to shifter questions - is that e60 shifter kit everyone uses compatible with e30?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

So last weekend we went and drove a '17 GLS 63 AMG and the whole family liked it. Figure the bottom of the market for a CPO example is ~$60k + TTL, and that car's guaranteed to have 50k+ miles already on it.

So... As the want is a big fast dumb 7 seater, I'm pondering whether it might be worth looking into both the X7 50i and the M50i if there are good lease deals out there. I suspect the overall opportunity cost ends up similar over 3 years - let's assume something like ~-$30k net depreciation on a GLS, or somewhere in the same neighbhorhood for a lease. Granted I'd still have value in the GLS versus the 50i/M50i but it could be fun to have a brand-new car under lease too. Haven't ever leased something.

How dumb of an idea overall is this? I have only scratched the surface on what prevailing MF/residuals are but they don't look THAT bad...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That’s a funny way to spell S2000 there buddy

fknlo posted:

I've never been huge on shifter feel, but owning an S2000 legit ruins everything else. I almost can't believe there are short shift kits for it since the throw is already stupidly small when compared to anything else I've driven.

I could shift mine with my wrist or even fingat tips

Tremek posted:

So last weekend we went and drove a '17 GLS 63 AMG and the whole family liked it. Figure the bottom of the market for a CPO example is ~$60k + TTL, and that car's guaranteed to have 50k+ miles already on it.

So... As the want is a big fast dumb 7 seater, I'm pondering whether it might be worth looking into both the X7 50i and the M50i if there are good lease deals out there. I suspect the overall opportunity cost ends up similar over 3 years - let's assume something like ~-$30k net depreciation on a GLS, or somewhere in the same neighbhorhood for a lease. Granted I'd still have value in the GLS versus the 50i/M50i but it could be fun to have a brand-new car under lease too. Haven't ever leased something.

How dumb of an idea overall is this? I have only scratched the surface on what prevailing MF/residuals are but they don't look THAT bad...

You could probably hack a new BMW lease better than financing the CPO GLS. If you could purchase the GLS with cash then you’d need to ask yourself if you can do better with that cash invested somewhere than the money factor on the BMW lease. That kind of thinking can be dangerous, it got me into my M5 comp :rms:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Diametunim posted:

What up my Carbon Black bro? Very slick.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Ultimate Mango posted:

That’s a funny way to spell S2000 there buddy

I am ashamed to admit that I never got around to try one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Back to shifter questions - is that e60 shifter kit everyone uses compatible with e30?

Seems extremely unlikely. Good news is there are tons of E30 shifter options.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Don’t buy an X7 Tremek, you’ll just encourage Big Grills and that’s not okay.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Big Grills are the future we deserve

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Popete posted:

What up my Carbon Black bro? Very slick.

:whatup:

I'm in love. Now to fix an oil leak.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Diametunim posted:

Now to fix an oil leak.

The circle of E46 life is that you fix one oil leak just in time to find another.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm finally getting my car to the shop to get the rear bumper replaced tomorrow. I can't wait to get a depression inducing rental!

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

It'll make getting back into your car once it's fixed all the sweeter tho!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

It'll make getting back into your car once it's fixed all the sweeter tho!

They gave me a Nissan frontier. I did find 6 filing cabinets and a trailer with a Ferrari 250 GTO on it on the side of the highway, and since I was in a truck I was able to pick them all up! Fully embracing truck lyfe yo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Diametunim posted:

:whatup:

I'm in love. Now to fix an oil leak.

I haven't driven mine in a couple months cause we are currently in winter salt hell here. It's raining today so hopefully that clears up the roads a bit and maybe I can take it out this week.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

They gave me a Nissan frontier. I did find 6 filing cabinets and a trailer with a Ferrari 250 GTO on it on the side of the highway, and since I was in a truck I was able to pick them all up! Fully embracing truck lyfe yo.

the frontier is not very good bit it is very honest

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
What's everyone's go to recomendation for a BMW compatible code reader that's fairly advanced for a garage mechanic? I'd like something that would allow me to pull codes and clear BMW specific error lights ect.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If your chassis is an F or G, then Bimmercode would probably do it. Earlier, Carly would do it, but requires a subscription. I think MHD also allows you to clear codes.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Diametunim posted:

What's everyone's go to recomendation for a BMW compatible code reader that's fairly advanced for a garage mechanic? I'd like something that would allow me to pull codes and clear BMW specific error lights ect.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Carly for BMW on your phone coupled with the right Bluetooth or WiFi reader should work well depending on what you want to do (read and clear BMW specific codes, code batteries, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Spent a day at a BMW Driving Experience track last week. I knew driving without any driving assistance systems was fun, but I didn't know just how much fun it could be once you hit that DSC off button in 430ds, 1 series MPAs and M4s.
Also my first time of getting a mild case of motion sickness from flooring it and doing emergency stops from 65/75/85 kph about 40 times. I took my colleagues' advice of not having a full breakfast before the course, but it turns out your internal organs move around quite a bit anyway.

Another thing I didn't quite realize about the state of modern driving assistance systems is just how impressive they actually are.

I'm scheduled for another 2 day training course in April at the Salzburgring in Austria, and doing a whole bunch of the same maneuvers, but at much higher speeds, seems...uh, interesting.

/edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UdcsGF_GA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZRjQELkc54

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 18, 2020