Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Ghosted after 10+years together.

She couldn't handle the shame of both owning a tesla as well as watching riverdale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Wife won't answer my texts MUST BE A TUMOR

loving lol

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I told a coworker’s wife that he obsessively watches her on their home cameras?

My coworker has several indoor and outdoor cameras at his home. His wife is a stay at home mom of 2 school aged kids. Our job consists of being on the phone a lot of time. So most of us usually play games on our computer, browse Facebook, etc while on the phone. However, my coworker obsessively watches his wife on the cameras. He watches her when she sleeps, cleans, cooks, watches tv, etc....pretty much all the time.

I’m pretty sure his wife knows about the cameras but I don’t know if she knows he watches her all day every day. It’s to the point that he takes his phone with him to the break room to watch her while he eats lunch. I find it very creepy and I know I wouldn’t be comfortable with it if I were his wife. Everyone in the office can also see his computer screen and wife whenever we walk by his desk. I’ve never seen her naked or in the bathroom but I have seen her sleeping, in her pjs, eating, etc.

I want to send a message to his wife anonymously to let her know but I’m not sure if it’s my place to do so. He is actually a really good guy and treats his wife very well. So WIBTA?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

I (18 F) came across my teacher (30? M) in a video game and discovered a side of him I’ve never seen before
She's kinda SOL cause at the moment she's got nothing for proof.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:cry: that's beyond loving creepy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DemoneeHo posted:

I (18 F) came across my teacher (30? M) in a video game and discovered a side of him I’ve never seen before

Either get a recording of him saying the stuff and turn it into the administration, OR, write him an anonymous note and scare the poo poo out of him.

At first I thought, from the title, that this was going to be some fantasy written one handed.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

LethalGeek posted:

She's kinda SOL cause at the moment she's got nothing for proof.
Yeah but there's no way that's a one time occurrence so a sting operation where you do record him shouldn't be hard to do.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This is sad. :(

I'm wondering if she met someone else or what.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

This is sad. :(

I'm wondering if she met someone else or what.

psychotic breaks do happen! If this was affecting her work life as well like it seems to imply in the post, she may have just had a complete breakdown/crisis and decided to ditch her old life.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting my wedding to go on despite not being able to be there?

My fiancee and I are getting married tomorrow. My work is facing an emergency that's been brewing since late Thursday. This emergency, if we can't stop it, would cause an environmental disaster. My entire team went down to the site between yesterday and today. I've been delaying because of the wedding, but I ultimately can't not go.

I'm working it out with my boss, and the company is willing to pay the entire cost of the cancelled honeymoon and pay for an equivalent one for me to stay around for this. It's too late to cancel the wedding in any aspect, and I don't want to. If I leave around 2 tomorrow, it's enough time for the ceremony and some pictures. I'll have to miss the reception, but I don't know that that's worse than canceling. We'd be out the entire cost, and we couldn't afford to redo it later. Some relatives are already in town for this, and the ones that aren't can't cancel at this point.

My fiancée wants to cancel the reception and just do a new one later. I think that's stupid. I realize it's a little awkward to have a wedding reception with just the bride, but my wife/fiancée can use it to see her distant family and hang out with her friends. It's not like she's going to be alone. My mother can handle my side of the family. My new wife won't have to do anything awkward. I haven't met a lot of my wife's extended family, but I can just meet them at Easter.

We're having an extra photoshoot after I get back. She's really mad at me about this. I don't want to start a marriage like this, but it's going to be far worse to start one with no job because I got fired due to a company scandal amidst a major news story. Am I really the rear end in a top hat here?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Boyfriend (25) wants to sleep with my (21) curvy friend

quote:

First of all, it won’t happen. We’ve engaged in threesomes before but the ground rule being we don’t include people we know too well. But recently he cannot stop talking about wanting a friend of mine to join us. He goes on about how curvy she is and how she has meat in all the right places. Something I lack fyi.

I know that he knows I’ll never give the green signal so I can tell he’s half joking about the whole thing. I feel upset nonetheless that he isn’t bothering to consider my feelings. He knows how insecure I can get about my body. It doesn’t feel good at all to hear him talk about another girl like that. At the same time, I don’t want to confront him about it either. That won’t make me feel any better.

Tldr- boyfriend’s attraction towards my curvy friend is triggering my insecurity

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

We are both 30. We met when we were 20 in university. We hit it off, she was my first girlfriend and later fiance. We just got engaged last december. We just bought a car together (tesla, delivering in 7 weeks). Our only disagreement currently was about buying our future home - budget vs apartment vs detached house. We are practically married without kids. We moved cities together. We share bank accs. We have access to each other's emails and phone tracking is on. She would catch me going to fast food when I shouldn't be. The sex was amazing. We are practically glued together. I took her to see the northern lights 2 months ago and proposed there.

One week before Valentine's, I text her throughout the day and no response. I check the GPS and its off. I asked her brother and he said she's at her mother's house. I go over to see what's wrong but no one will answer the door. I waited outside until 3am. Next morning I get a brief text saying this is not the future she's imagining and that we have different visions. This comes at a shock to me, we have names picked out for our future kids for years now. Wedding planned. Tesla ordered on the way. Friends and family were all surprised. Worst is she barely replies by text (we text all the time for past 10 years, she updates me when she's in the bathroom at work) when I ask her what's wrong etc. The day before she was completely normal. I tried the next few days (even today on Valentine's) to see her after work. She left early / won't see me. Her responses becomes a complete strangers short responses. Like you'll be ok. I'm sorry. Thanks for the 10 years. She wants her stuff brought over later.

How am I suppose to cope with this? No one, not even her brother or parents knows why. I'm so confused. it's like the last 10 years was a lie. She became a total stranger.

I would like to focus on possible reasons outside of abuse... A good doctor friend said it could be a tumor but that's a really extreme guess...

Just want to note the GPS is just find my iPhone app and she suggested it first when one of us had a car accident early on. We mainly use it to see when the other person is coming home so we can time dinner. I don't even use it everyday, only when she is extremely late.

Another note on the waiting till 3am. There's no abuse emotional or physical. Her parents house were 2 hours away. I thought something was wrong at first. I didn't understand, her parents didn't either. We just watched Riverdale in bed last night cuddling tgt.

As for the email/phone access - it was not widely used and most of the time it's for admin purposes. But once in a while she would like to read what I chat with my friends and I am find with that.

Update: got a short text saying she sees a different future with me than what she wants and thanks for the 10 years... her co-workers and best friend who I am close with as well all got the same answer and they are clueless too. Another friend said she wanted a new life. She's functioning the same at work from what I hear.

Second update: a short text saying that she wanted emotions to cool down before talking to me to give me a proper goodbye and that I need to move on...

TL;DR ghosted one day with no warning after 10 happy years together reason wanting different things, this is an extreme personality change....

God...drat. There's usually schadenfreude in this poo poo, but this is just sad. :smith:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The rare head-on collision of capitalism vs wedding culture bullshit, except only one of them has control of the situation.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Every part of this is ridiculous (except for the wife being pissed)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Unless that guy is personally going to plug the leaking oil pipe or piss on the wildfire or whatever I don't see how delaying the honeymoon and traveling out there the day after the wedding isn't good enough.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The rare head-on collision of capitalism vs wedding culture bullshit, except only one of them has control of the situation.

Eh, I don't think ditching your own reception and the bride being pissed is really "wedding culture bullshit," like the bare minimum for even the simplest of weddings is "bride and groom are present." If the whole wedding was courthouse and then our for dinner with immediate family and a couple of friends it would still be lovely of him to bail.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Holy poo poo. Exact same thing happened to a friend of mine.

His partner had a kind of midlife crisis, got a "wake up call" when she realized that husband/kids/real family poo poo was about to start and noped right out. She said she loved the guy, and everything was fine, but she does not see herself as a wife/mother.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I[24M] caught my sister[26F] trying to steal a watch of mine, and now my mother[51F] wants me to apologize to her.

quote:

So last night I had some people over to to celebrate moving into my new place. I had some family and friends, including my sister and my mother. When I was growing up with my sister, she would often steal from myself and other family members. Money from my mom's purse or dad's wallet. She'd sneak into my room and take things. Steal money from our grandparents, etc. We aren't very close because of this, and I always try to keep an eye on here when she's around. Despite this, I decided to invite my sister over because she doesn't live to far away, and I know my mom would have been upset if I didn't. I put all of my watches and valuables in my safe, but I left out the watch I had planned on wearing that night(but ended up not wearing it and leaving it on my dresser)

At one point during the party my sister asked me where the bathroom was and I pointed down the hallway and told her the bathroom was on the left. A couple minutes later I went to go grab something from my room and saw her come out of my room as I was walking down the hall. She gave me this startled dear in the headlights look and said she was looking for the bathroom and walked away really quickly. I immediately got worried and went to do a quick look around my room. I immediately noticed the watch missing from on top of my dresser. This isn't some cheap $20 watch, I paid over 30k for it earlier this year. I left my room and went straight to my sister to confront her. I pulled her off to the side so it wouldn't cause a scene, and told her that I knew she took my watch and if she gave it back right then I wouldn't call the cops. She got extremely defensive and started yelling about how she didn't take poo poo from me, and how I'm an rear end in a top hat etc. At this point, a lot of people were staring and listening us. She told me she was leaving and started heading toward the door. I knew if she left I might never see my watch again, so I grabbed her purse from her and dumped everything on the ground. Sure enough, there is my watch right there on the ground with the rest of the stuff from her purse. My sister screamed at me and called me a loving rear end in a top hat and scooped up most of her stuff and ran out of my place. My mom followed her out and ended up not returning to the party.

So after an awkward rest of the party, I got a call from my mom. She was mad at ME! I got some long lecture about how I "didn't need to humiliate my sister in front of everyone at the party", how she couldn't help herself, and that my sister is crying and upset now because of the "scene I caused" She also got mad at me for going through my sister's purse and told me that I should never look in a ladies purse and that it was a complete invasion of privacy. First of all, I tried to pull my sister off to the side. She was the one who started yelling at me and causing a scene that made everyone look over at her. I also wouldn't have had to go through her purse if she didn't STEAL FROM ME and deny it and try to leave. I'm not just going to risk losing a 30k watch because I "shouldn't look through a ladies purse" So now my mom wants me to not only apologize to my sister, but to tell all the guests that were there that it was a big misunderstanding and my sister didn't take anything.

I'm really not sure what I should do about my mom. There is no way I'm going to apologize to my sister. She should be the one apologizing to me. And I'm certainly not going to lie to my how guests to get my sister out of the awkward mess she created for herself.

I also don't know what to do about my sister. At this point I'm pretty much just done with her. I think she should be the one apologizing, but I doubt she will ever do that. Thanks in advance for any advice!

tl;dr: Had family and friends over for housewarming party. Caught my sister trying to steal a 30k watch from me. Everyone at the party saw me confront my sister and find the watch that she took in her purse. Mom wants me to apologize to my sister for embarrassing her and wants me to lie and tell the party guests that it was a misunderstanding and that my sister didn't actually steal from me.

every post before this on this guy's account is about rolexes

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Miss posted:

I[24M] caught my sister[26F] trying to steal a watch of mine, and now my mother[51F] wants me to apologize to her.

every post before this on this guy's account is about rolexes

Mom told the sister to steal the watch.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

This is just cruel :smith:

The worst part is he wasn't a local so that he could get shunned from polite society, he just hosed back off to wherever he came from.

On the bright side she moved on, met someone else, and they have ambulatory children.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking the renters at the B&B next door to remove an inflatable doll with a giant erection from their front window?

I live beside a B&B. Sounds nice? The house itself is very well set up and nice. But we do live in a not so desirable area close to our downtown. Not sure if anyone has lived beside a B&B before, but it’s sometimes a rotating door of trashy, inconsiderate people.

Anyway, a bachelorette party is currently residing there. Middle-aged and older. One of them parked across the end of 1/2 my driveway, so as I was loading up my kids to go out, my 5 yr old points out a big inflatable guy with a huge erection in the window of the B&B. I was going to knock and ask them to move their vehicle anyway as I’ve done numerous times before with other renters. The thing my husband and I agree on is that it’s generally not worth much annoyance because people come and go sometimes daily there and we’ll never see them again.

However, when I knock, the woman opens the door a tiny crack and I say “I’m not sure whose vehicle that is, but could you move it from the end of my driveway?” And as I’m finishing talking, she gets a disgusted look on her face which, yes, seemed to set me off and I continued with “and please remove the giant penis from the window, it’s disgusting and I have little children literally right here looking at it”

Her response was “you don’t need to be so rude, you could have just asked, we’ll move the vehicle” and slammed the door in my face.

So as I’m sitting in my vehicle waiting for them to sort out their vehicle situation, they all come out and are glaring and whatnot. As I was backing out of my driveway, door lady is glaring and saying something. I flipped her off (let my anger get the best of me) and they all started yelling. I rolled my window down and told them that it’s not a party house, they need to have a little more respect for the neighbours and children around. One of them yells “actually, we rented it and it is a party house, so shove it up your rear end!”

After I had calmed down, I contacted the owner of the B&B (they used to live there beside us for years so we kinda know them) and explained the situation. They were totally understanding and I did admit that I was angry when I approached about the giant penis and we had a good talk.

We’ve had a bachelor weekend long party there before that was...not fun. B&B owner doesn’t want that kind of thing going on and all that. Apologized a lot and I apologized, too.

But anyway...AITA here? I realize I went in a little hot initially but I also don’t think it’s ok to have a giant penis sitting in a window.

I mean, these people are from here. They clearly rented a place to have a weekend long party, without wanting to disturb their own neighbours and being rude. AITA?

Edit: I absolutely can acknowledge that I may not have been the most pleasant when asking them to remove the giant erect penis from the public front window. For sure. I own that lol Me flipping her off wasn’t out of nowhere. She was glaring and gesturing as we were trying to leave.

I can accept that I was partially an rear end in a top hat about the whole thing, but I stand by my reason for being an rear end in a top hat. I don’t generally expect my 5 yr old to see inflatable sex dolls while standing in our driveway lol I think I’m just tired of people treating the B&B like it’s a frat house when this neighbourhood is full of families with small children. I don’t think a little common courtesy and decency is too much to ask for.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

Eh, I don't think ditching your own reception and the bride being pissed is really "wedding culture bullshit," like the bare minimum for even the simplest of weddings is "bride and groom are present." If the whole wedding was courthouse and then our for dinner with immediate family and a couple of friends it would still be lovely of him to bail.

Yeah it would be, except it's not really "bailing" if losing your job would be implied.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Reddit hasn't rolled with the thought experiment for this one and are just saying there's no way he's this indispensable, but I want to know if Wheeler would be the rear end in a top hat for skipping out on his wedding

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for asking the renters at the B&B next door to remove an inflatable doll with a giant erection from their front window?

I live beside a B&B. Sounds nice? The house itself is very well set up and nice. But we do live in a not so desirable area close to our downtown. Not sure if anyone has lived beside a B&B before, but it’s sometimes a rotating door of trashy, inconsiderate people.

Anyway, a bachelorette party is currently residing there. Middle-aged and older. One of them parked across the end of 1/2 my driveway, so as I was loading up my kids to go out, my 5 yr old points out a big inflatable guy with a huge erection in the window of the B&B. I was going to knock and ask them to move their vehicle anyway as I’ve done numerous times before with other renters. The thing my husband and I agree on is that it’s generally not worth much annoyance because people come and go sometimes daily there and we’ll never see them again.

However, when I knock, the woman opens the door a tiny crack and I say “I’m not sure whose vehicle that is, but could you move it from the end of my driveway?” And as I’m finishing talking, she gets a disgusted look on her face which, yes, seemed to set me off and I continued with “and please remove the giant penis from the window, it’s disgusting and I have little children literally right here looking at it”

Her response was “you don’t need to be so rude, you could have just asked, we’ll move the vehicle” and slammed the door in my face.

So as I’m sitting in my vehicle waiting for them to sort out their vehicle situation, they all come out and are glaring and whatnot. As I was backing out of my driveway, door lady is glaring and saying something. I flipped her off (let my anger get the best of me) and they all started yelling. I rolled my window down and told them that it’s not a party house, they need to have a little more respect for the neighbours and children around. One of them yells “actually, we rented it and it is a party house, so shove it up your rear end!”

After I had calmed down, I contacted the owner of the B&B (they used to live there beside us for years so we kinda know them) and explained the situation. They were totally understanding and I did admit that I was angry when I approached about the giant penis and we had a good talk.

We’ve had a bachelor weekend long party there before that was...not fun. B&B owner doesn’t want that kind of thing going on and all that. Apologized a lot and I apologized, too.

But anyway...AITA here? I realize I went in a little hot initially but I also don’t think it’s ok to have a giant penis sitting in a window.

I mean, these people are from here. They clearly rented a place to have a weekend long party, without wanting to disturb their own neighbours and being rude. AITA?

Edit: I absolutely can acknowledge that I may not have been the most pleasant when asking them to remove the giant erect penis from the public front window. For sure. I own that lol Me flipping her off wasn’t out of nowhere. She was glaring and gesturing as we were trying to leave.

I can accept that I was partially an rear end in a top hat about the whole thing, but I stand by my reason for being an rear end in a top hat. I don’t generally expect my 5 yr old to see inflatable sex dolls while standing in our driveway lol I think I’m just tired of people treating the B&B like it’s a frat house when this neighbourhood is full of families with small children. I don’t think a little common courtesy and decency is too much to ask for.

NTA. Neighbours sound like assholes.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Yeah it would be, except it's not really "bailing" if losing your job would be implied.

His boss being a complete poo poo doesn't make it not bailing. There's basically no job in the world that can't be covered by someone else for 24 hours.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

His boss being a complete poo poo doesn't make it not bailing. There's basically no job in the world that can't be covered by someone else for 24 hours.

Lol whatever, define it however you like, blaming him is stupid is my point and her being mad because not perfect wedding is also stupid.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

13Pandora13 posted:

If I take my finger out of this dike it's going to ruin a lot more than just the wedding.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Seriously if it would cause an environmental disaster with him not being there as he says then he is literally saving the world at that point (or part of it). I couldn't really blame him.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Seriously if it would cause an environmental disaster with him not being there as he says then he is literally saving the world at that point (or part of it). I couldn't really blame him.
Yeah, as set up it's reasonable. It's just that it's hard to believe that he is a) so necessary to preventing disaster that he has to be there, but b) he can still wait 24 hours until the wedding while his team is there and c) he can't wait a few hours more to at least attend the beginning of the reception.

An emergency that doesn't have an hour or two to give is not one that has a day or two lead time, unless he's one of the drillers from Armageddon and the rocket ship can only leave at specific time.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

I [21M] just got called sexist and can't figure out if she [19F] was right.

quote:

I'll be deleting this shortly as the amount of hypocrisy is outstanding. Since when did it become OK to be verbally abusive and extremely condescending to someone asking a genuine question?

NOTE: I have never dealt with this topic before hence my struggle with it. In my mind, someone (e.g. a politician) telling you what to do with your body? Generally, a bad thing. Unfortunately, I have zero experience with any sort of women's rights issues.

Earlier today, I was texting a girl who I haven't known all that long (which is probably why the conversation seemed to go downhill so quickly). We started talking about the movie 'Interstellar' a bit and, seemingly out of nowhere, she starts talking to me about black holes, wormholes, and some basic astrophysics. As an ex-Physics major and big time nerd, I'm a bit taken aback that I'm able to even have such a detailed conversation about this. I say, "Also, yay for even having this conversation. Women in STEM ftw!"

Her reply ends with, "And now I'm done talking about it because of the whole women in stem comment."

Apparently, to her, it was sexist that it came as a surprise that she could talk about physics merely because of her gender. Meanwhile, I've had similar conversation with a whopping two women my entire life and only a handful of guys. It's not your everyday/layman topic, obviously.

Who's in the right and who's in the wrong? I was called a sexist because I "don't expect women to know anything about physics". I mean, I think that's partly true, but not because women are stupid or anything. Women are statistically underrepresented in such fields and the odds of me finding one who knew anything came as a bit of a shock. Is my realistic thought process also sexist?

Some other quotes from her:

"It's on par with being surprised when a girl likes video games. It shows that you subscribe to misogynistic gender roles." (I'm a hell of a lot more surprised when a girl can talk about the accretion disk of a black hole than bomb flowers in 'Legend Of Zelda'.)

"Men have no say in what is and isn't sexist."

"Women can't be sexist because men have never been oppressed. Prejudiced, sure. But not sexist." (Just because sexism is mainly used against women doesn't change the denotative definition that it deals with all genders, right?)

"Sexism and racism are tools of oppression and therefore cannot be applied to the privileged groups in society." (She also said "...you can't be racist toward white people.")

"You can't oppress the party that's in power."

I feel like there are nuggets of truth in her statements, but... I don't know. I'm torn. Help, please :/

EDIT: It led to her telling me to delete her number. As I said, not knowing each other well enough was the main factor. It's not as if there was name calling or anything (except her, at the end). It was a very odd situation, honestly, but I wasn't sure if posting the entire conversation via screenshots would have helped.

EDIT 2: Please leave the flair as "Non-romantic". Considering I said she told me to delete her number, changing it to "Dating" was incorrect (albeit, a tad humorous).

EDIT 3: I understand a lot of you are asking why I didn't post my own replies in a "Well, you probably started it!" manner, but I approached this as logically as I could. My replies were counterpoints and curiosity, nothing more. Please grasp that I was trying my best to understand her reasoning or else I wouldn't have posted this on Reddit in the first place.

TL;DR: Is is sexist to be pleasantly surprised a woman can talk about black holes?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Miss posted:

I [21M] just got called sexist and can't figure out if she [19F] was right.

"Why aren't you dating a black woman" is the proper response

I think most people are just lonely and looking to vent their worldviews to anyone who will listen. This is not conducive to the mating process. At all.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Aita for selling the car purchased for my step daughter without consulting her mom?

My wife and I have been married for 2 years and have been together for 4. We currently live together with her 2 girls (16 and 11). I’ve always tried my best with the girls. My kids have been grown and on their own for years now, so it’s kind of nice living with them. I know it is sometimes hard for them to accept me, because their mom and I started dating not even 6 months after her divorce was finalized. I knew it wouldn’t be easy for them so I try not to overstep, but I try to as available as I can.

First let me explain the relationship I have with my stepdaughter (16) in one phrase. To me, she is my step daughter and I love her, but to her, I am her moms stupid new husband. Again, I get it. I grew up with a step mom, so I know how it is.

Late January my step daughter turned 16. Her mom and I decided to buy her a car. She constantly brought up jeeps and how she loves them, So I was able to find a 2000 wrangler only like 50,000 miles. Only one previous owner. It’s bright red and I figured a really fun car for a girl. I was honestly very excited to give it to her.

I guess her little sister spilled the beans about the car. And this is when it got bad. My step daughter held a meeting with her mom and I. She said that we knew when she said Jeep, she meant a newer one. Like the kids in school have. And that we knew she didn’t want «some old crappy Jeep, and that we were assholes for playing what she saw as a sick joke. She brought up how we can afford to buy her a newer one and that we are selfish. Then she went off on me, saying I probably convinced her mom that she didn’t need a new one. I did nothing of the sorts, we decided together that since she is only 16 and driving in the neighborhood, a 20,000$ plus car wasn’t necessary now. Though we could have afforded it for her.

Fast forward to her birthday, she got home from school and my wife got home from work to me breaking the news that I sold the Jeep. She said she found it insulting. So I got rid of it.

Her mom is mad I didn’t Atleast consult her first. Step daughter won’t talk to me until she gets the car back. Because apparently even though she hated it, I had no right to sell the car that was meant for her. Aita?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Still seems weird that they’re so reliant on one specific person to prevent a major disaster though AND apparently have no backups. Like, what would they have done if this had happened four days later when he was already on his honeymoon in another country and potentially impossible to reach/get back? Just shrug your shoulders and let the dam burst or meteor strike or whatever?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Aita for selling the car purchased for my step daughter without consulting her mom?

lol this poor fool.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

Still seems weird that they’re so reliant on one specific person to prevent a major disaster though AND apparently have no backups. Like, what would they have done if this had happened four days later when he was already on his honeymoon in another country and potentially impossible to reach/get back? Just shrug your shoulders and let the dam burst or meteor strike or whatever?

It's probably like PG&E or something and they had to lay off half of the "keep poo poo from exploding" guys to afford another round of executive bonuses.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

sullat posted:

It's probably like PG&E or something and they had to lay off half of the "keep poo poo from exploding" guys to afford another round of executive bonuses.

The number of people who lost everything and I'm very surprised those executives aren't dead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

sullat posted:

I keep reading that as PGE which is the power company I use, so when people talk about PG&E's shenanigans I panic and think I need to turn on the news.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

How do I make it clear to my male friends that I'm not interested!?

quote:

Okay, disclaimer: I hope this doesn't make me look like a "oh woe is me, too many people like me" bitch. Up until a year ago I got literally zero male attention (I had short hair, apparently that was a big no-no), so...I just don't know what to do!

The situation: I have always had more guy friends than girl friends. I was a tomboy my entire childhood (read: self-proclaimed Pokemon Champion of the Playground; my friends would bring me their Zelda OOT cartridges to beat the elusive Water Temple, etc), and although I'm definitely 200% more feminine now, I still prefer to spend my time with guy friends-- I like to bro out, smoke cigs, and shoot the poo poo. I'm sarcastic, make dirty jokes, and am pretty much still a tomboy at heart.

I'm also in a great relationship that all of my friends know about, and I've had to become incredibly vocal about my relationship with the new guy friends I make. I'm always saying "my boyfriend" this and "my boyfriend that" because no matter what I do, I end up having a sad talk with a male friend a few months after we meet, with him telling me that he thinks about me as "more than a friend" and he thinks "we could be real good together". I hate doing it, because up until college I had an impossible time getting people interested in me, and I understand rejection better than most anyone. But I am 100% into my boyfriend, both because I love him and out of principle. So, I start up yet another awkward conversation, gently reminding my friends that I love them like a brother but it's just not going to happen.

What else can I do? Is it just impossible for me to be friendly with guys? I'm not a buxom bombshell, and I'm usually gross and gnarly with my friends...so I'm definitely not being flirtatious. But I really don't want to have to go through carefully sidestepping another emotional moment with guys I'd rather just be playing videogames with. More importantly, I don't want to make my boyfriend jealous. Advice? Please help!

TL;DR: I rather have male friends than female friends but, despite me acting totally nasty and man-like around them, in addition to loudly advertising my relationship status, they still try to "lure me away". Am I not doing something I should be, or do I just have to distance myself from male friendom?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Licarn posted:

AITA for surprising my (42m) wife (33f) of five years with a new wardrobe for our anniversary?

quote:

We are upper class, and appearances are a big deal in many circles, which is probably one of the reasons why my wife is acting this way.

UHHMMM were rich and that means we have to look good to give you loving dirty poors some context. What a blowhard. Consistently references his personal wealth despite it having little to no bearing on the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
I'm a few pages back still but did that pregnant lady with the death-obsessed husband who's mother died in childbirth ever give an update? If we never get one I'm just gonna assume the husband and FIL did the job.