Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Quote of the week: "What the hell?" (Hank Fillmore)

Some thoughts:
One amazing aspect of the Return is that every set feels so intricate. Take Buella's place for example. It's such a specific vision with all these little details. I can't fathom why Darya and Ray hand in cards as they're leaving, or what Otis is doing, but the place feels meaningful, lived-in.

Of course, on the flip side, we get these lists of character names like Chip and Harvey that are seemingly just there to overwhelm us with unhelpful information. Like, the cops put some effort into trying to make sense of who has the key, and it turns out to be a complete waste of time.

That box is pretty much identical in shape to the cameras surrounding it. It's like a giant camera being watched by a bunch of cameras. Very meta.

I've read a few theories as to what the symbol on Tracey's coffee means. I think it's a Z. Tray-Z. 'Cause she's carrying the cups on a tray, see? :haw:

The scene in which Mr. C talks to Darya and Ray at the diner starts in the most peculiar way. We first see a railroad crossing, and a freight train passes by, blowing its horn. Then we cut to the diner, and for the entire duration of the scene, you can hear the train in the background, finally culminating in the horn blowing for a second time right before the scene ends. It remind me of that one log lady intro about death masks in which she says: "[W]ho could throw away the casting of a loved one […] as the distant freight train blows its mournful tone." I guess we, too, are letting that shadow of nostalgia take us down with it, no matter how unhealthy it may be.

Interesting that Cooper seems to accept advice from both the giant and the (evolution of the) arm. I guess everyone's collaborating to get the doppelgänger back to the lodge.

What is that gross lump in Bill Hasting's car? The conspiracy theory guy thought it was a chunk of trout, but the upset reaction of the cops kinda doesn't fit that interpretation. It's like the ear from Blue Velvet, except you can't even tell what it's meant to be.

Renee's claim that "everybody loves Steven" is extremely confusing to me in hindsight. I don't think we see Steven be charming even once.

Rageaholic posted:

e: Dr. Amp's golden shovels!

Are we still bothering with spoiler tags for people who haven't seen the show? Doesn't seem like there's anyone posting who hasn't seen it.

Could I get screenshots of:
- the horse
- Cooper falling in space, faster and faster?

And More fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
"James has always been cool."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Are we still bothering with spoiler tags for people who haven't seen the show? Doesn't seem like there's anyone posting who hasn't seen it.

Could I get screenshots of:
- the horse
- Cooper falling in space, faster and faster?
Yeah, you're right. Guess we can drop the spoiler tag rule.

Lemme know if those are okay. It was really hard to get a half decent screenshot of that 2nd one. Works much better in video form haha

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah, you're right. Guess we can drop the spoiler tag rule.

Perfect. That will make talking about some stuff much easier in the upcoming episodes.

quote:

Lemme know if those are okay. It was really hard to get a half decent screenshot of that 2nd one. Works much better in video form haha

I can imagine. I like 'em both, though. It captures the chaotic essence of that scene. Could you take another one of the other angle? The one from which we can see what Cooper's seeing?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

I can imagine. I like 'em both, though. It captures the chaotic essence of that scene. Could you take another one of the other angle? The one from which we can see what Cooper's seeing?
Like this?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic posted:

Like this?

Yes. That's the one. Thank you! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God God God God God gently caress me gently caress I remembered that The Return was fantastic but I forgot just HOW fantastic. Those first two parts just flew by and I had to fight a very real compulsion just to keep going and power through all 18 episodes in a row.

Seeing everything that was done so well a quarter of a century earlier refined to perfection is just a treat, especially the Lodge which is just glorious: the floors, the curtains, the doubling of the image, the curtains lifting to reveal infinite blackness, the further realization that past and future are meaningless concepts here (the snap back to Mike asking Cooper if it is past or future is done so loving well), seeing the alternating colored zig-zag lines are actually more than surface deep, Cooper falling through space faster and faster just like Laura and Donna discussed in Fire Walk With Me, the Arm's doppelganger hiding in the shape of a statue to ambush Cooper before he could escape, the person who looks like Laura opening her face to reveal a blinding white light beneath (contrast with what I think happens in episode 17 with Sarah Palmer).

I love that Cooper continues to move linearly (and age in real time), he is the only person who doesn't speak backwards, Leland and Laura look like Leland and Laura but they are (I presume) simply Lodge Residents wearing those shapes, knowing that they're not who they look like (or that if they were, they're beyond that now) but feeling like they almost might be, hence Laura saying she only feels like she almost knows Laura Palmer, before answering the question of who she is with,"I am Laura Palmer".

None of this even touches everything else going on in these first two parts, and there is SO much going on, it's insane. Hawk, The Log Lady, Ben and Jerry still a double-act even if they've taken wildly different routes, Andy and Lucy older but otherwise unchanged, James is still cool, the Bang Bang Bar is a TARDIS, the Woodsman in the cells, the comedy of the neighbor who called the cops etc. And Bad Cooper (Coopelganger? Booper? Mr. C?) is so fantastic, McLachlan gives him such incredible menace. I love how grimey he looks, how dirty and revolting and unclean he is. Also his computer is wonderful, because it feels so much like he's created/accessed something that a Lodge Resident feels adequately represents a computer, but all he does is type literal gibberish on the keyboard and it kinda just does what he thinks it should: access the database, download blueprints etc. It's technology by way of magic (there's no excuse for how hilariously cheap the Buckhorn PD's computer UI is though :laugh:) and it makes Mr. C feel even more alien and unsettling.

There's only 16 more episodes left :smith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how lovely the cut is when Mike disappears in the Red Room the first time he asks about future/past

The camera doesn’t even stay in the same place :newlol:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

I love that Cooper continues to move linearly (and age in real time), he is the only person who doesn't speak backwards, Leland and Laura look like Leland and Laura but they are (I presume) simply Lodge Residents wearing those shapes, knowing that they're not who they look like (or that if they were, they're beyond that now) but feeling like they almost might be, hence Laura saying she only feels like she almost knows Laura Palmer, before answering the question of who she is with,"I am Laura Palmer".

That first part of the conversation is basically a word for word reiteration of the dream sequence from the original run. Compared to the original scene, Laura seems a lot stiffer, I kind of read her expression as concealed resentment. Is she maybe not Laura Palmer but Carrie Page?

quote:

It's technology by way of magic (there's no excuse for how hilariously cheap the Buckhorn PD's computer UI is though :laugh:) and it makes Mr. C feel even more alien and unsettling.

Technology in general feels slightly off in pretty much every way. Like Hank Fillmore and his comically oversized phone.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 16, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Laura giggling when she whispers into Coop's ear, especially with his startled reaction to what she's saying. It reminded me a little of her goading Bobby asking if he killed Mike in FWWM.

Also one thing I felt a little unclear on and can't remember if they resolve it later, but who was that on the other end of the phone when Mr. C was trying to contact Phillip Jeffries? He said he was going to be back with Bob again once Mr. C was forced back to the Lodge, but I didn't recognize the voice, I don't think it was Mike or Leland.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

I love Laura giggling when she whispers into Coop's ear, especially with his startled reaction to what she's saying. It reminded me a little of her goading Bobby asking if he killed Mike in FWWM.

Yeah, that's when she behaves like the actual Laura again.

Jerusalem posted:

Also one thing I felt a little unclear on and can't remember if they resolve it later, but who was that on the other end of the phone when Mr. C was trying to contact Phillip Jeffries? He said he was going to be back with Bob again once Mr. C was forced back to the Lodge, but I didn't recognize the voice, I don't think it was Mike or Leland.

The consensus at the time seemed to be that it's Judy.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 16, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Also his computer is wonderful, because it feels so much like he's created/accessed something that a Lodge Resident feels adequately represents a computer, but all he does is type literal gibberish on the keyboard and it kinda just does what he thinks it should: access the database, download blueprints etc.
I really really love how Lynch treats hacking stuff and electronics in S3: pay no more than the barest amount of lip service to our common visual language of hacking in movies and TV, and don't even bother trying to make anything seem realistic. The movies that do try don't hold up to scrutiny anyway.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

And More posted:

The consensus at the time seemed to be that it's Judy.

So, Judy wants to be with Bob? And how has Bad Coop already met Judy?
And who is the Philip that called Ray? Mike is actually credited as Philip Gerard. Did he call Ray? Jeffries denies that he did.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

AstroWhale posted:

So, Judy wants to be with Bob? And how has Bad Coop already met Judy?
And who is the Philip that called Ray? Mike is actually credited as Philip Gerard. Did he call Ray? Jeffries denies that he did.

Yeah, it's strange that the two of them would be fighting over who gets to keep Bob. You'd think Judy and the doppelgänger would be on the same side. Maybe not.

You're referring to the conversation between Jeffries and the doppelgänger way down the line, right? I think there are a few things to keep in mind. For one, Jeffries can't tell the Coopers apart, so it's just one of them who has met Judy before.

Doesn't he confirm that he called Ray in that scene? Maybe we should wait for that moment to come up, I can't actually remember it super clearly. :shrug:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
^Yeah he, did actually. But it was not revealed what was said.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo I didn't realize One Punch ManFreddie showed up this early.

Also I kinda love how decor-wise, the Palmer house is exactly the same as it was in 1991, except a) fallen into decrepitude with Sarah, and b) there's a giant 80" flatscreen TV for her to watch red-in-tooth-and-claw nature documentaries

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember the thread at the time and I don’t think we ever clearly answered who the voice on the phone was. It could be Mike, but the line about being with Bob again is confusing as heck.

gently caress THE RETURN IS SO GOOD

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Volte posted:

Sam is a details-obsessed scientist who carries around a "special machine" to analyze things and Chet is a smooth operator with an open mind and an intuition for the unintuitive. Which one of those mindsets do you think David Lynch wants his audience to have while viewing his work? The Lil scene just sets up how much better Chet is than Sam at interpreting Gordon Cole AKA David Lynch's weird symbolism.

Not that I disagree but you're ascribing literal symbolism into his work while at the same time saying it doesn't exist. And I guess I do agree. Both are true.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Walrus posted:

Not that I disagree but you're ascribing literal symbolism into his work while at the same time saying it doesn't exist. And I guess I do agree. Both are true.
I didn't say there's no literal symbolism in his work, I think there clearly is. It's just that his stories aren't ciphers that use symbols to tell some other story if you interpret it properly. The symbols are thematic rather than allegorical. The way I see it, the Lil scene is David Lynch giving the audience a little Rosetta Stone. You get the symbols, then you get the interpretation. The takeaway to me is that the interpretations aren't steeped in lore or arcane details, it's literally "walking in place means walking", "hand in pocket means secrets". It's pretty straightforward stuff, a kind of dream logic free association, and that's exactly the type of symbolism I would expect from Lynch.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm using literal symbolism in the same way you're using allegorical, I think. The idea that a scene could be a Rosetta stone implies a translation, a one to one of allegorical input -> meaningful output. And I don't disagree that's what he's doing there, I just think it's funny that Lynch is saying 'here is one metaphorical explanation for how to read my work; there is no one metaphorical explanation for how to read my work'

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Walrus posted:

I'm using literal symbolism in the same way you're using allegorical, I think. The idea that a scene could be a Rosetta stone implies a translation, a one to one of allegorical input -> meaningful output. And I don't disagree that's what he's doing there, I just think it's funny that Lynch is saying 'here is one metaphorical explanation for how to read my work; there is no one metaphorical explanation for how to read my work'
I think it might be clearer to say that Lynch does use direct symbolism or allegory, but sparingly and in a more episodic fashion, so that there's no one big overarching allegorical meta-story. In other words once you start saying "well, what if Cooper represents X" you're already lost because Cooper is just one character in the story, and sometimes he might represent X, sometimes he might represent Y, and sometimes he might just be there because the story needs a detective to do the next detective thing. And in any case, he's still Cooper, not just a walking symbol. Audrey and Charlie's scenes in Season 3 are an example: knowing that those scenes were written in response to Sherilyn Fenn refusing to go along with whatever Frost and Lynch had written for her before, it seems at least plausible that they were written as a reflection of that real-life friction. Those little vignettes may be somewhat allegorical, but it doesn't mean that Audrey is "the dreamer" or that her scenes have really anything to do with any of the other scenes story-wise, or really any bearing on Audrey's role in the larger Twin Peaks story.

To put it in a larger perspective, my read on Twin Peaks as a whole is that thematically it's a response to the fear that crept into the zeitgeist from the 1950s onward, when the threat of nuclear annihilation was looming and the coinciding proliferation of radio and television helped spread that fear around. (edit: to give credit where it's due, this is very broadly speaking something I picked up from the Twin Perfect theory video, but that video goes way, way too in depth in trying to interpret every little thing as being part of one huge allegorical framework). I know we're talking about not assigning allegorical meaning to Lynch's stuff, but Mark Frost referred to Episode 8 as an origin story, and that description fits pretty well if you interpret it as being about the origin of the show itself:

quote:

The idea obviously — or, well, not obviously — was that we'd never done anything close to what you might describe as a "Twin Peaks" origin story, [showing] where this pervasive sense of darkness and evil had come from.
Imagine if David Lynch pulled Chet and Sam over to a TV and showed them Episode 8. What would the ensuing conversation in the car sound like? What would Chet's unique M.O.—the one that allowed him to deduce that "walking in place" means "walking"—tell him about the nuclear explosion, or the Abe Lincoln woodsman pacifying the public over the airwaves while they become infected by a sinister bug? I think it's totally fair game to use the tools that Lynch explicitly gave us to interpret his symbols, and the Lil scene is definitely one of those tools.

I was probably a bit hard on Sam earlier, but I still think he and Chet are basically the yin and yang of investigation - analysis and intuition - and that one of those is way more effective for thinking about Lynch's dream world than the other. I'm pretty sure I've read that Chet was originally just supposed to be Cooper but Kyle MacLachlan wanted fewer scenes so Chet was added, and that makes a lot of sense. Cooper is practically the embodiment of intuition as an investigative tool.

Volte fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 16, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

We should watch that Twin Perfect video ITT after we're done with season 3. It'd be interesting to see what kind of analysis they come up with with season 3 fresh in our minds.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Are those small red drapes? No, but they look like it.

It's weird how the hotel scene interrupts the conversation with the tree.

Where does Cooper go here?

Is there another lodge?

What is wrong?

What did he do?

:psyboom:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Ben and Jerry: He's got the pine weasel in his office! Also, 100% the skunk smell that the hotel guest complained about was Jerry smoking weed and Jerry is the "skunk". And what's the little statue by the window behind Jerry? Is this the same statue that's by Margaret's lamp.

Lucy and the insurance salesman: I never caught this before (and maybe this is obvious and I'm just dumb), but this is actually two scenes stitched together as one. I'd always seen this as a continuous scene with the agent getting increasingly flustered by Lucy, but now I'm pretty sure before the last "I'm here to see Sheriff Truman" we start of a replay of the whole scene and you see a tiny bit of movement of the agent coming in from opening the door. He's got a much more rushed demeanor in the second part, like it's either a totally separate timeline or he's gone out after the first exchange with Lucy and knows now not to ask questions but just give the card and get the heck out. Also is Lucy nodding off at the beginning of this scene?

Theres' a weird screeching noise at the end of the scene were Bill Hastings gets put in the cell.

Mr. Todd's office gives off some vibes of the glass box. Everything is shiny and reflective, the floor lamp looks a bit like one of the light banks outside the glass box, and at one point there's the bokeh of a red light that seems a little out of place.

I don't know the Chromatics, but it almost seems like the musicians don't match the song.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I don't know the Chromatics, but it almost seems like the musicians don't match the song.

Personally I'm surprised The Nine Inch Nails didn't perform one of those languid Lynch songs about flooooooooating in dreeeeeeeeeeams

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Data Graham posted:

Personally I'm surprised The Nine Inch Nails didn't perform one of those languid Lynch songs about flooooooooating in dreeeeeeeeeeams

quote:

In a radio interview, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross revealed that “She’s Gone Away” was their second stab at writing a song for David Lynch’s Twin Peaks: The Return:

Trent Reznor: Actually we wrote a different song initially, [Lynch] said, ‘How about something less Twin Peaks–y sounding, and more aggressive and ugly.

Atticus Ross: I think he said, ‘Make my hair stand on end,’” Ross added. Our nightmares can confirm the second time really was the charm for this one.

quote:

You dig in places til your fingers bleed
Spread the infection where you spill your seed
I can't remember what she came here for
I can't remember much of anything anymore

She's gone, she's gone, she's gone away

A little mouth opened up inside
Yeah, I was watching on the day she died
We keep licking while the skin turns black
Cut along the length, but you can't get the feeling back

I always thought "she" referred to Laura

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Lucy and the insurance salesman: I never caught this before (and maybe this is obvious and I'm just dumb), but this is actually two scenes stitched together as one. I'd always seen this as a continuous scene with the agent getting increasingly flustered by Lucy, but now I'm pretty sure before the last "I'm here to see Sheriff Truman" we start of a replay of the whole scene and you see a tiny bit of movement of the agent coming in from opening the door. He's got a much more rushed demeanor in the second part, like it's either a totally separate timeline or he's gone out after the first exchange with Lucy and knows now not to ask questions but just give the card and get the heck out. Also is Lucy nodding off at the beginning of this scene?

It seems more like it's just the same shot from the start of the scene (maybe an alternate take?). There are a number of shots throughout this season that get repeated and looped. There is certainly the possibility that it's meant to indicate something. I think it's far more likely that Lynch had such a tight schedule that he had to get creative in editing to make some scenes have the right flow, though.

Rageaholic posted:

I always thought "she" referred to Laura

That's a fun detail. I completely agree with that reading. Actually, most songs seem to either be specifically written or at least chosen to match the show in some way.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 19, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

It seems more like it's just the same shot from the start of the scene (maybe an alternate take?). There are a number of shots throughout this season that get repeated and looped. There is certainly the possibility that it's meant to indicate something. I think it's far more likely that Lynch had such a tight schedule that he had to creative in editing to make some scenes have the right flow, though.

Yeah, I don't know that the scene has any special meaning besides getting us ready for the new sheriff. I guess if you just think it's a weird scene that's weirdly edited, then it speaks to how the town of Twin Peaks is a little off, and if you think it's a scene that repeats itself, then it's kind of like that end-of-episode diner scene in Ep 7 or 8 where the you see there's two timelines. Or maybe that there's two partially interacting sheriff's stations... Either way, I can't imagine it's unintentional. It really seems to me like it's a separate take with different direction to the actor that's been added to the end.

e: I forgot I wanted to mention Daria and Ray. It's really amazing how in their first scene, with the weird ambiance, they look like aliens, like Ray's eyes are too close together and Daria's eyes are way too far apart. But when we see them later in a more normal setting they look way more normal.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 19, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So it turns out Mister C never went back in...
https://twitter.com/sewcialism/status/1230471827258040321

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Y'know, the Return really is accurate in its portrayal of how utterly hosed our world is. :(

And More fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 20, 2020

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mr. Jackpots, no!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

As the owner of a dog named Cooper, this makes me profoundly sad.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
He must've just fat fingered the like button. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/rortybomb/status/1230515298308182016

This made me laugh then made me sad.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Goddamn these people lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao

https://twitter.com/olivia_vault/status/1230693365118898177

Also, episodes 3 and 4 aired together like 1 and 2 did, right? There's a feature length presentation of 3 and 4 on the Blu-Ray. So I guess let's watch both of those tomorrow and then we'll be back to one episode a week after that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

So I guess let's watch both of those tomorrow

:hellyeah:

I seriously have to fight the urge to just burn through them all in the weekend, The Return is SO loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I may or may not have gotten antsy and ended up watching burning through the show much quicker than I was supposed to, oops. To be fair I was also showing the series to friends who had never seen it before

we'll be watching Parts 17 and 18 on Sunday, I wonder how they'll take the ending.