Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah just pretending Blood 2 never happened would be best for everyone. And honestly these days they could probably get away with just making something as story light as the original Blood anyway so they wouldn't even have to pretend to justify it. Just like "yeah gently caress you have more Blood".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wouldn't be opposed to a straight sequel to Blood 2... but it would probably be better not to. Maybe the '70s might be a nice take? Could have some fun with that. Although I suppose both DeathWish and Bloody Pulp Fiction had areas with that sorta feel. DeathWish especially, I feel like some of Episode 1's levels had that grimy urban horror feel you get in the '70s and '80s.

drrockso20 posted:

Buy the rights to that Darkwatch game, it's basically a Blood ripoff anyways

I'd love to see Darkwatch on PC for that exact reason.

... gently caress Atari. There's worse out there, like EA, but Atari is the company I hate the most. I was so glad when Alone in the Dark escaped their clutches.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ETPC posted:

there is zero chance in hell it would be a sequel. literally no one would be happy about that. there is no one, alive or dead, who wants to remember blood 2

DraQu does, it’s like four ez world records for him

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It would be a pretty slick move if they came out with a sequel to Blood and just called it Blood II.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Or instead of numbered sequels

Blood: Type B

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I’m thinking bigger and imagining the Blood / Captain Blood crossover. Exploring the galaxy, communicating with alien lifeforms, setting them on fire when they won’t listen.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1038184405611814914

Is 90's CG Duke Nukem the ugliest 3D model ever made?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Cover art and in-game Agent 47 look fine. However, this piece of promotional artwork for the first Hitman game is dreadful.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Let's not forget Caleb's model during CGI videos.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah, that cutscene model is hilariously bad. They had a lower-detail model they used for the player sprites and some ingame art, I'm always surprised they didn't just add proper fingers to it and use that for a cohesive look across the entire game.

Amusingly, the PS1 version went the complete other direction and re-rendered the player sprites using the cutscene model...

...with questionable results.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
at the time, we all thought they looked amazing. any cgi was mindblowing

imho, this is why the quake 2 intro holds up so goddamn well: they wisely decided to *never* show a body or face of anything so it's just a really fantastic mood piece

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ETPC posted:

at the time, we all thought they looked amazing. any cgi was mindblowing

Never forget all those insanely embarrassing Lara Croft magazine covers

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Lower standards, lower standards.

(Yes, this is an actual game magazine cover)
Also, still waiting for that Nintendo 64 port.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i think remember that mag. what are the video game myths? i see doom mentioned but cant make out what else.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Mierenneuker posted:

PlayStation = Nintendo 64 = Online

It’s math, folks

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think remember that mag. what are the video game myths? i see doom mentioned but cant make out what else.

The full issue's on Archive.org.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

The full issue's on Archive.org.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Maybe? Not officially.
Absolutely yes. :argh: Lieberman!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe? Not officially.
Marine Doom

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ETPC posted:

imho, this is why the quake 2 intro holds up so goddamn well: they wisely decided to *never* show a body or face of anything so it's just a really fantastic mood piece

The late 90s graphics also do a real good job of making the Strogg really buttugly, really adds to the whole murderous and brutal cyborg vibes they have going on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aaaaaaaactually Sony contributed to the SNES. The Nintendo Play Station and Sony PlayStation are separate devices *pushes up glasses*

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
technically it was going to be a 64DD port, not a 64 port

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
man doom 3 was balls

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

I fear a game may never again look as good as Doom 3

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wow mario was landlord scum?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

site posted:

wow mario was landlord scum?

He captured an ape from the wilds of Africa and held his son hostage in retribution of breaking free. He also stole his old school friend’s gold statue. He’s also a union scab, Foreman Spike was trying to stop Mario from breaking the picket line.

Mario loving sucks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vikar Jerome posted:

When GamePro later had an issue about video game myths, they popularized the Polybius hoax.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Two Owls posted:

Doom: but on the Amiga: but back on the PC update:

Still a some logic missing, but we now have something approaching an actual working game.

Worried about :files:? Grab the freely released Gloom3 / Ultimate Gloom . Or Zombie Massacre, except I can't actually get that ISO to work in anything, so get it from this CD instead.

Or why not try some of the mods, helpfully collated here by the world's biggest Gloom fan in .. Japan? Wait, did anyone have an Amiga in Japan?

Oh, and Gloom 3 does not have any movement animation frames, that's not a bug. That was a fun bug hunt until I read a contemporary review mentioning it.

https://github.com/Swizpig/ZGloom

First proper release (I hope, I'm not entirely sure about how The GitHubs works): https://github.com/Swizpig/ZGloom/releases/tag/v0.1.0

Have an explanatory video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj5rdHoyy-Y

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Two Owls posted:

First proper release (I hope, I'm not entirely sure about how The GitHubs works): https://github.com/Swizpig/ZGloom/releases/tag/v0.1.0

Have an explanatory video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj5rdHoyy-Y

ROTARY CATBOX

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the thread for neo-retro stuff like Ion Fury (E: or Maiden, but not Storm :doh:) too? I just had some time to check it drat it feels like it could've been made in the 90s and is actually great to play. So this removes at least one layer of nostalgia, though of course I still have all the Build games memorized so that could be it. It'd be interesting to see what people who never played the original games would think though.

Mierenneuker posted:

Remember how awesome was this? Like holy poo poo his thumb and index fingers are modeled separately

except it still looks good :colbert:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 16, 2020

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Is this the thread for neo-retro stuff like Ion Storm too? I just had some time to check it drat it feels like it could've been made in the 90s and is actually great to play. So this removes at least one layer of nostalgia, though of course I still have all the Build games memorized so that could be it. It'd be interesting to see what people who never played the original games would think though.

i assume you mean ion fury, and yeah this is the thread for it, but it doesn't get a lot of discussion here thanks to the whole thing about the devs being ultra bigots. it's an okay game on its own merits tho

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ion storm made deus ex

pretty good imo

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
anachronox is a banger

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Is this the thread for neo-retro stuff like Ion Storm too? I just had some time to check it drat it feels like it could've been made in the 90s and is actually great to play. So this removes at least one layer of nostalgia, though of course I still have all the Build games memorized so that could be it. It'd be interesting to see what people who never played the original games would think though.

Remember how awesome was this? Like holy poo poo his thumb and index fingers are modeled separately

except it still looks good :colbert:

I think graphically Max Payne wasn’t as impressive coming so late because 2001 is the best year in video games rivaled only by 1998, but the attention to detail was insane. It was also super smart to do comic book cutscenes, the engine couldn’t really handle detailed cutscenes and that shortcoming made Halo and GTA3 feel super cheap.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mierenneuker posted:

Cover art and in-game Agent 47 look fine. However, this piece of promotional artwork for the first Hitman game is dreadful.

I see your Hitman: Codename 47 box cover, and raise you the early 1998 concept cover.
https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/983624877612691457

ETPC posted:

there is zero chance in hell it would be a sequel. literally no one would be happy about that. there is no one, alive or dead, who wants to remember blood 2
So weird; earlier I watched Civvie's video on Doom 3 (still hoping we see a TNT video at some point), and I decided to sit down and watch the Blood 2 videos he did and...wow, that game is rough. :pwn:

However, throughout it, I thought, 'if the issue with the weapons is that they have bad damage RNG, then theoretically you could make the game better more tolerable if you tweaked the damage values.'

I did a search for 'blood 2 mods', and there's a list of them on the Blood wiki. There is (to my surprise) quite a few mods for Blood 2, and among those are tweaks for weapons and enemies, but without downloading the files and/or running the mod, I don't know what the changes are.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

I think graphically Max Payne wasn’t as impressive coming so late because 2001 is the best year in video games rivaled only by 1998, but the attention to detail was insane. It was also super smart to do comic book cutscenes, the engine couldn’t really handle detailed cutscenes and that shortcoming made Halo and GTA3 feel super cheap.

The big thing in Max Payne was the detail in the textures, which was extremely high for the time period. It was the first game to shoot for photorealism and actually kind of hit it.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

al-azad posted:

GTA 3 cut scenes looked really good when they were motion captured. I think that was the first game I noticed it in, just how everyone's movements were so natural compared to other games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Max Payne’s intro definitely hit hard. I gasped at the bloody crib with the covered body.

HolyKrap posted:

GTA 3 cut scenes looked really good when they were motion captured. I think that was the first game I noticed it in, just how everyone's movements were so natural compared to other games

I’ll give credit where it’s due, it was a well acted game just super low poly.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

The other thing about Max Payne (more specifically MP2) was that they just oozed loving style. More so than almost any shooter of that time I can remember. The comic book cutscenes, the storyline, the entire Monica plot line, the level layout... Max Payne 2 was just so stylish. gently caress, I love that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Where’s that video that was posted here of the Doom wad where you buy animal crossing