Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TTBF posted:

Whoops, imgur won't take the third.

If we could isolate Skimbleshanks floating and twirling in that wide shot and then to his left have either Jellicle Cats or the suggested "SKIM-BLE-SHANKS-THE-RAILWAY-CAT" flash that would rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Congratulations: You have now survived the full original theatrical run of Cats

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hah, I didn't know the VFX society put out a real pissy statement about Rebel Wilson and James Corden at the Oscars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

josh04 posted:

Hah, I didn't know the VFX society put out a real pissy statement about Rebel Wilson and James Corden at the Oscars.

Maybe you should stay quiet about "the best visual effects in the world" if you have to release a patch for a movie already in theaters.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

josh04 posted:

To be fair, they were getting poo poo on by the two worst things about the movie: Wilson and Corden.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I mean, Rebel didn't even sound on key in her Gumbie Cat song. It's painful to listen to because it's obviously out of her range.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Something that occurred to me - had Cats been released in the 1990s, then just like every other family movie at the time, they would have made a generic-rear end NES/SNES tie-in game where you collect CATS tokens for 1-Ups and jump on McCavity’s head 3 times in the final boss fight.

Of course, the greater tragedy is that we didn’t get a generic 2019 tie-in game, which would be an open world game with Dark Souls mechanics. Sadly we will never know the joy of dodge-pirouetting at the last second to parry Growltiger’s slam attack, or spending Jellicle Souls to upgrade stats like “Felinity” or “Uncomfortable Sensuality.”

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
No, wait, open world survival/rhythm game. Stay alive on the mean streets of London and hone your dance skills.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

okay so to get the True Heaviside Ending, you basically have 4 major steps. These are missable people! You might want to back up your save on USB.

First off, you need to backtrack to the Opening Number and inspect the discarded bag, which begins the time loop. Then you can fight Young Grizabella.

Second, you must complete Old Deuteronomy's questline and get her ring. Some users have reported it phases in and out so be wary.

Third, Victoria needs at least 27 points in Applied Etymology. You may need to grind in Bustopher's club.

Fourth,

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

HopperUK posted:

I keep imagining just one of those where the words appear in sequence
SKIM
BLE
SHANKS
THE
RAIL
WAY
CAT

over and over.

TrixRabbi posted:

If we could isolate Skimbleshanks floating and twirling in that wide shot and then to his left have either Jellicle Cats or the suggested "SKIM-BLE-SHANKS-THE-RAILWAY-CAT" flash that would rule.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If it was an 1980s LJN game, the Heaviside Layer would be the final stage. To get there, the cats would have through tunnels collecting weights. Somehow Macavity would be a good guy.

It would also be a beat-em-up.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m now picturing it as a visual novel where you try to date one of the cats in the midst of competing in the Heaviside Layer Song Competition.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If it was an 1980s LJN game, the Heaviside Layer would be the final stage. To get there, the cats would have through tunnels collecting weights. Somehow Macavity would be a good guy.

It would also be a beat-em-up.

I was gonna say, CATS as a sidescrolling beat-em-up where each player cat has a different dancefighting style and you have to rescue the Jellicle Cats from Macavity's Kitties of Krime would be perfect purrfect.

poo poo, this probably wouldn't be difficult to do in FightCade

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Retro is new again, make a lovingly rendered pixel art beat em up.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

:sickos:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

:swoon:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Ccs posted:

I’m now picturing it as a visual novel where you try to date one of the cats in the midst of competing in the Heaviside Layer Song Competition.

Catoful Boyfriend

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bogus Adventure posted:

To be fair, they were getting poo poo on by the two worst things about the movie: Wilson and Corden.

yes but then theres this paragraph

This is not the first time the community has spoken out in defense of its own. A month ago, prominent VFX artists from films like the live-action “Lion King” and “The Jungle Book” defended the “Cats” team, saying their work was visionary — but filmmakers like director Tom Hooper are responsible for ensuring an audience buys the aesthetic world of a film. And, of course, the story.

so nah

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
When "the VFX industry" says something, it's really the bosses saying something. And of course they can't admit what the real problem is: the fact that the bosses had final say in what looks good, had set up a total lack of workplace democracy or oversight or quality controls that can overrule dumbass execs' opinions, the fact that their heads thus got so big that their tastes even overrule viewer surveys that plainly tell them their current designs look like utter poo poo.

The fact that the bosses exploited the poo poo out of all the VFX workers kept in warehouses, rows of cubicles literally nicknamed "slave galleys", working unpaid overtime and slave wages, denied benefits and job security using the contractor loophole. Immediately laying them off while celebrating a finished project out of the other side of their mouths.

I guarantee you no low level VFX worker had anything to do with the overall "style" decisions of CATS 2019, nor did they have anything to do with the released statement or the decision to release one at all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah, it's a weird one because the VFX workers definitely don't deserve any blame and crunched like hell to get this out, at the same time the 'vision' was 'let's rotoscope faces onto tens of cg cats in every shot' and the VFX industry is at least complicit in saying "Yeah sure! We can definitely do that on time and without several of the companies involved collapsing."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

josh04 posted:

Yeah, it's a weird one because the VFX workers definitely don't deserve any blame and crunched like hell to get this out, at the same time the 'vision' was 'let's rotoscope faces onto tens of cg cats in every shot' and the VFX industry is at least complicit in saying "Yeah sure! We can definitely do that on time and without several of the companies involved collapsing."

At this point the industry would be most accurately understood as pharaohs building monuments of profit to themselves and sealing the foundations with the corpses of their workers' livelihoods.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:swoon:

Hell yeah, this is perfect.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A work of art. I want in on the gang

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"rail" and "way" need to be separate words.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This is fine and all but I'm gonna need some clarification:

...he's the cat of the rail way train, right?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:chanpop:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

caligulamprey posted:

This is fine and all but I'm gonna need some clarification:

...he's the cat of the rail way train, right?

there's a whisper down the line at eleven thirty-nine

That is the catchiest song in the world, I swear.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That gang tag is perfect.

e: How do gang tags work nowadays? Is it still someone paying for it as their avatar and then everyone else putting BB code featuring the URL into their avatar text field?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 18, 2020

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

When "the VFX industry" says something, it's really the bosses saying something. And of course they can't admit what the real problem is: the fact that the bosses had final say in what looks good, had set up a total lack of workplace democracy or oversight or quality controls that can overrule dumbass execs' opinions, the fact that their heads thus got so big that their tastes even overrule viewer surveys that plainly tell them their current designs look like utter poo poo.

The fact that the bosses exploited the poo poo out of all the VFX workers kept in warehouses, rows of cubicles literally nicknamed "slave galleys", working unpaid overtime and slave wages, denied benefits and job security using the contractor loophole. Immediately laying them off while celebrating a finished project out of the other side of their mouths.

I guarantee you no low level VFX worker had anything to do with the overall "style" decisions of CATS 2019, nor did they have anything to do with the released statement or the decision to release one at all.

The initial brief for the style of Cats is something that’s never been done before, and that decision comes from the director. Honestly with this scale of movie they try everything, go through thousands of character designs and reviews all trying to match a directors vision. Unfortunately if the director doesn’t really have one then it’s a matter of just running out of time that then forces decisions, plus the public reactions to trailers that inspire new rounds of designs and reviews.
It’s difficult to negotiate with any director but nigh impossible to negotiate with an Oscar winner. They’ve reached the point where they can’t admit that they don’t have the vision so they’ll just throw a fit until time runs out.

McSpanky posted:

At this point the industry would be most accurately understood as pharaohs building monuments of profit to themselves and sealing the foundations with the corpses of their workers' livelihoods.

There is no profit in vfx, the margins are pitiful. The clients who control the distribution get the profit, though in the case of Cats they also lost their shirt.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 18, 2020

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hooper and Universal didn’t lock the cut until hours before the debut. That’s not enough time to color grade, much less finish vfx. The vfx houses definitely finished a ton of shots that didn’t make the cut, while not having enough time to finish the ones that did.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There's a really cool play about how (the retelling of) an episode of The Simpsons becomes a mythic text after the apocalypse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Burns,_a_Post-Electric_Play

Anyway, since the apocalypse is probably on the horizon, I think it would be kinda cool if we manage to recover CATS for the next generation of humans or octopus people or whatever comes after the deluge.

You should check out the 1977 movie of Logan's Run, where the last human with knowledge of 20th century culture is a loneliness-crazed Peter Ustinov, who wanders round the US Capitol reciting CATS lyrics.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

*Macavity voice*

I love it

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

In the alternate timeline, the video game version of Cats replaces Battletoads -- it's the same game, just with Cats. NES Cats is so beloved that the 2019 Cats movie is the highest grossing broadway-show-to-videogame-to-film adaptation in history.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

could you hold on "railway" twice as long? since it's two beats.

otherwise this is loving great and i need it

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Videogame adaptations aside, the total lack of any official merchandise for Cats 2019 is slightly baffling.

Universal believed this was going to be their massive Holiday family hit... Surely there were already some promotional deals in place before the backlash kicked in. I don’t know if you guys remember the Animation dead zone thread, but Bee Movie and even Foodfight had a ton of licensed crap clogging up dollar store bins and arcade claw machines for years after release.

Has anyone encountered any officially licensed Cats merch?

Saddest Rhino, you will always be my Jellicle Choice.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Not official but I just found this very good sticker:

Gonna buy the pin version.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Has anyone encountered any officially licensed Cats merch?

This is as close I've come to finding anything official.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

caligulamprey posted:

Not official but I just found this very good sticker:

Gonna buy the pin version.

Wanna throw up a link to the store my jellicle friend?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

weekly font posted:

Wanna throw up a link to the store my jellicle friend?
Found on Etsy, of course.

The pin is a pre-order that can be found in the same shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
skimble shanks the railway cat