Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Clark Nova posted:

It appears that The Market has spoken so I'm going to have to add several paragraphs of exposition to my upcoming mil-scifi project explaining how thanks to the advent of fishbowl helmets, men in the 27th century no longer have to be afraid of spermjacking in public restrooms

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Huge thanks to whoever recommended Venus Equilateral by George O Smith. If you have a tolerance for mid century male authors for all that implies (although this is on the better side since it has female characters who while they often play the “say it in English” card appear to be very smart and have at least a minimum of scientific education possibly because the author, who worked on radar presumably alongside women like Hedi Lamarr and the extremely many others working as calculators, doesn’t know how to write anyone who doesn’t) and a bit of electrical/electronics engineering education, and know a bit or appreciate the pre-transistor age will see this book like crack. It’s so good.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
American Gods by Neil Gaiman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YW4L5K/

The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2VKFP5/

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECE9OD4

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RD8544/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

pradmer posted:

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RD8544/

This looks neat, but I think the only Robinson I've read is Red Mars many many years ago, and I might even be wrong about that. Is 2312 good?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

This looks neat, but I think the only Robinson I've read is Red Mars many many years ago, and I might even be wrong about that. Is 2312 good?

It is good but pretty wild IIRC.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

withak posted:

It is good but pretty wild IIRC.

Wild is my jam, bought. Thanks!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

tiniestacorn posted:

Robert Jackson Bennett writes semi-frequent essays on craft, and imo they're very good. Yours for the low, low price of $1.

mmm yes writing advice from the man bullied off the forums by FYAD posting excerpts from his book

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

fez_machine posted:

mmm yes writing advice from the man bullied off the forums by FYAD posting excerpts from his book

when did that happen?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

fez_machine posted:

RBJ is actually pretty good. The fact FYAD bullied him doesn’t make him bad.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Leaving because FYAD did anything at all is honestly a decision far better than any of us have ever made.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Black Griffon posted:

And for those who haven't, Red Mars is also $2.99.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

StrixNebulosa posted:

when did that happen?

After his first novel, Mr. Shivers, came out.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

when did that happen?

2010 (good FYAD pre-eat the eggs, transphobia, and the twitter exodus) soon after the publication of Mr. Shivers

there was a writing advice thread or something and RJB was posting in it

FYAD discovered it and tore the book to shreds for being phony depression era hobo nonsense

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

fez_machine posted:

2010 (good FYAD pre-eat the eggs, transphobia, and the twitter exodus) soon after the publication of Mr. Shivers

there was a writing advice thread or something and RJB was posting in it

FYAD discovered it and tore the book to shreds for being phony depression era hobo nonsense

So? That doesn't say anything about the quality of his advice or his writing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I never read Mr. Shivers but the "City of" trilogy was quite good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, he writes good books.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

I never read Mr. Shivers but the "City of" trilogy was quite good.

Ditto. I only read City of Stairs and it wasn't quite my jam but struck me as the work of a young man who definitely had greater work coming down the line, and his Foundryside trilogy is on my TBR pile for that reason.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've got City of Stairs in my backlog, I should bump it up and give it a proper gander...

Things is I'm currently having a fling with all of Lilith Saintcrow's works - Jill Kismet 1 is one of the best UFs I've ever read, Incorruptible was a really indulgent roadtrip romance, and Iron Wyrm Affair right now is a fascinating take on steampunk + magic = what if Britannia was a spirit that possessed the queen. So the poor backlog must wait.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i'm sure the goon who wrote a book called mr shivers is a real giant of writing craft

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

He was nominated for a Hugo, so he's not exactly chucking fan fiction up onto a blog.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

A human heart posted:

i'm sure the goon who wrote a book called mr shivers is a real giant of writing craft

the "canon" includes works titled The Hunting of the Snark, Miss Marjoribanks, and Humphrey Clinker

By all means desperately attempt to dunk on people in the SFF thread but do try to suck at it less

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

freebooter posted:

Ditto. I only read City of Stairs and it wasn't quite my jam but struck me as the work of a young man who definitely had greater work coming down the line, and his Foundryside trilogy is on my TBR pile for that reason.

Foundryside is a bit YA and I didn't like as much - may have been the expectations after really enjoying the city of series. I liked the mythology of foundryside sort of steampunk heist but didn't vibe the writing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ReWinter posted:

the "canon" includes works titled The Hunting of the Snark, Miss Marjoribanks, and Humphrey Clinker

By all means desperately attempt to dunk on people in the SFF thread but do try to suck at it less

Those titles are much less stupid than Mr Shivers, but also being a canonical work doesn't necessarily mean that the writing is good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

He was nominated for a Hugo, so he's not exactly chucking fan fiction up onto a blog.
Much as I like Bennett's recent books, this is not a good argument. Anything can get nominated for a Hugo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I missed that Gareth Hanrahan's sequel to the Gutter Prayer, the Shadow Saint, came out. Looking forward to reading it and continuing to ignore the bit of my brain that really wants to read Starfish again for some reason and also ignoring the rest of my to-read list. Bells and ghouls and gods.

The mention of Bennett reminded me about Foundryside and that prompted me to look it up, so thanks for that.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Haven't got round to Foundryside, but really enjoyed the full 'Cities Of' trilogy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Junkenstein posted:

Haven't got round to Foundryside, but really enjoyed the full 'Cities Of' trilogy.
Foundryside's good, you should read it, I put it off for a while but I enjoyed it (in much the same way as the Cities trilogy, the plot itself wasn't particularly gripping to me but the world he set up was super interesting)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

xcheopis posted:

So? That doesn't say anything about the quality of his advice or his writing.

really defending the idea that easily mocked fake as hell Old-timey hobo dialect horror is unreflective of a person's writing

It's much harder to bully an author that has prose quality backing them.

I'd like to see someone try to bully Samuel R. Delany out of a forum based purely on his writing style.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

fez_machine posted:

really defending the idea that easily mocked fake as hell Old-timey hobo dialect horror is unreflective of a person's writing

I'd like to see someone try to bully Samuel R. Delany out of a forum based purely on his writing style.

I, too, like to let my tastes be dictated by ten year old shitposts.

Writers tend to improve with time. Read one of his new books or shut the gently caress up.

Edit: And for what it's worth, Mr. Shivers won the Shirley Jackson award. I, personally, trust the opinions of SJA jurists over FYAD.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 17, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Much as I like Bennett's recent books, this is not a good argument. Anything can get nominated for a Hugo.

Generally when people say "hugo nominated" they mean it made it onto the final shortlist of 5/6 works that the final vote chooses between, which is definitely not something that "anything can get", although some real stinkers have made it onto that shortlist (and even won) over the years.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

fez_machine posted:

thousands of female genre authors roll their eyes unison

what a loving stupid victim blaming sentiment, stop celebrating bullying and humiilating people... it's nothing to do with the quality of writing and everything to do with being lovely people

fez_machine posted:

What if he just left because bullying is just plain lovely and he wasn't a fan of it and all the ironic homophobia? How would you tell the difference? Would you be gleefully high-fiving the fact that he got bullied off the forum ten years later?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 17, 2020

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
would love to hear more about the good bullying "good" fyad was doing in 2010 though (during the pre-transphobia golden age when there was absolutely no transphobia and definitely no transphobic bullying in fyad)

bullying is so loving entertaining :toot:

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 17, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Generally when people say "hugo nominated" they mean it made it onto the final shortlist of 5/6 works that the final vote chooses between, which is definitely not something that "anything can get", although some real stinkers have made it onto that shortlist (and even won) over the years.
Still doesn't work in a post-Puppies world.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've got City of Stairs in my backlog, I should bump it up and give it a proper gander...

The entire trilogy is outstanding and might be my favorite completed fantasy series of the last decade. The ending is profoundly emotional and feels well-earned.

Foundryside is mediocre YA shlock :/

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Not sure I get the critique of Foundryside being YA.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Aggro posted:

The entire trilogy is outstanding and might be my favorite completed fantasy series of the last decade. The ending is profoundly emotional and feels well-earned.

Foundryside is mediocre YA shlock :/

So far I think foundryside started in a better way than the cities series.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

would love to hear more about the good bullying "good" fyad was doing in 2010 though (during the pre-transphobia golden age when there was absolutely no transphobia and definitely no transphobic bullying in fyad)

bullying is so loving entertaining :toot:

boy I sure don't remember slurs being thrown about willy nilly ten to fifteen years ago god the forums were just so pure back then

no, not pure in that way. wait, yeah, pure in that way

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

fez_machine posted:

The hilarity of believing everyone thinks of FYAD as the arbiters of good writing, much less anything else.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
gently caress FYAD and good riddance.

Bennett improved even in the space from American Elsewhere to the Divine Cities trilogy, he's still in the 'buy on sale or trade for' level for me but definitely readable.

Meanwhile I've been reading a weird one, Yarn by Jon Armstrong. It's about an elite tailor in a surreal dystopian fashion-dominated hypercommercial future dominated by corporate warfare. But it's not about that in the usual--it is mostly, constantly, about clothes and how they make you and how they are made. The author manages to create a lot of jargon and slang that's comprehensible but still sounds exotic, and it travels at a pretty brisk pace. It's a world that's hypersexualized and commercialized, where people talk in brand-coded riddles. I don't know if I'm going to keep it when I'm done but it's been an interesting ride so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

occamsnailfile posted:

Bennett improved even in the space from American Elsewhere to the Divine Cities trilogy, he's still in the 'buy on sale or trade for' level for me but definitely readable.

High praise indeed