Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Two-foot driving is bad because electric cars don’t have clutches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://twitter.com/kari_paul/status/1229214223227478016?s=20

https://twitter.com/kari_paul/status/1229300197924253696?s=20

love too reboot my car because the computer makes the engine not work if there's no phone reception.

This is such a mess and the schadenfreude is really on all of us who have to participate in this, the Dumbest Timeline ™

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Ah, yes. The ol' Baijiu Shuffle.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

North America outing itself itt.

Are you implying that rest of the world are bad drivers?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

North America outing itself itt.

lol I specifically thought about clarifying transmission type but decided no, nobody will care enough to call me out

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My uncle taught me,my brothers, and my cousins how to drive. He had a very effective system where if you hosed up anything while working the clutch he backhanded you from the passenger seat. His hands were like garbage can lids. He was a diesel mechanic and on three separate occasions I saw him trying to unscrew seized screws and literally twist the handle of the screwdriver to pieces in his hand. When he backhanded you it felt like someone threw a 100 mph medicine ball at your face.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Captain Hygiene posted:

lol I specifically thought about clarifying transmission type but decided no, nobody will care enough to call me out

I don't care but I'm an idiot so... :v:

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Burt Sexual posted:

So instead of making GBS threads up the thread. How about you report stuff w examples and suggestions?

Speaking for myself, I thought voicing it in public was the way to go (and caring enough about the topic to do so). I might be mistaken, but isn't reporting meant for literal obvious rule breaks and not gray cases like this? I don't know.
I guess I agree with that kind of video being more in line with a general funny video thread.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grei Skuring posted:

Speaking for myself, I thought voicing it in public was the way to go (and caring enough about the topic to do so). I might be mistaken, but isn't reporting meant for literal obvious rule breaks and not gray cases like this? I don't know.
I guess I agree with that kind of video being more in line with a general funny video thread.

The reason why I made the edit in the op was to avoid the endless
This isn’t schaden
This good
No it isn’t
Yes it is!

I mean I’m not hardcore on it, but just slapfights for posts on end just noise up the thread.

And op and mods can make the calls on grey stuff, not public justice.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/JesusChrysler15/status/1229004802908196865

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

mrfart posted:

make your own shadenfreude/become most hated person at the office starter pack:

Oh my god! I neeeeed these!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

I am not a Kiss fan by any means, but respect for not even acknowledging that your head is currently engulfed in flames because you're too busy rocking.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
To me this feels more like panicked techs trying to fix a malfunctioning animatronic, Chuck'E'Cheez style.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mrfart posted:

I can't even imagine what would happen here if a cop tasered an old lady over something like this. Yeah sure, she was annoying as gently caress and tried to drive away, but that's not even close enough of a reason.

make your own shadenfreude/become most hated person at the office starter pack:

Many years ago, I put a "clap to turn on" sticker on the hand dryer in the toilets of the place I was working at.

It was astonishing how many people would clap their hands, covered in water, as hard as they could just because a sign told them to.

So many angry, water splattered people.

Got a written warning from HR, but it was well worth it.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Jim Halpert, ladies and gentleman.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

oh dope posted:

I am not a Kiss fan by any means, but respect for not even acknowledging that your head is currently engulfed in flames because you're too busy Cashing In.

gently caress them, I hope they all burn in a house fire.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Hmm, sounds like you just don't want to rock and roll all night and party every day.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsdc7cTPuU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

oh dope posted:

I am not a Kiss fan by any means, but respect for not even acknowledging that your head is currently engulfed in flames because you're too busy rocking.
Wasn't kiss.

Video of Hairball singer's hair catching fire at Sioux City show goes viral

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

LifeSunDeath posted:

Seems excessive but OK

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

freeedr posted:

My uncle taught me,my brothers, and my cousins how to drive. He had a very effective system where if you hosed up anything while working the clutch he backhanded you from the passenger seat. His hands were like garbage can lids. He was a diesel mechanic and on three separate occasions I saw him trying to unscrew seized screws and literally twist the handle of the screwdriver to pieces in his hand. When he backhanded you it felt like someone threw a 100 mph medicine ball at your face.

I feel like it's not a good idea to hit someone when they're trying to drive but what do I know

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

its just a business dude
music is an industry

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Happy Landfill posted:

I feel like it's not a good idea to hit someone when they're trying to drive but what do I know

Adults should probably generally not hit kids in the face, maybe?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dude uses Autopilot feature on his Tesla. Dude notices that it consistently steers his car toward a specific spot on his commute such that he has to correct for it. This problem is so bad and so unnerving that he even tells his family about it. Dude also likes to play “Three Kingdoms” on his phone.

Guess what happens next.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Is it that WP is offering subs for a $1 cause that's all I got out of that link.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Anora posted:

Is it that WP is offering subs for a $1 cause that's all I got out of that link.

Get the bypass paywall addon and stop caring about sites wanting a subscription

quote:

Tesla running on ‘Autopilot’ repeatedly veered toward the spot where Apple engineer later crashed and died, federal investigators say

The driver had a strategy game called ‘Three Kingdoms’ active on his iPhone 8 during his commute, according to the NTSB

Four days before Walter Huang’s Tesla veered off U.S. Highway 101 in Northern California and into a concrete barrier, killing the father of two, Huang sent a text message describing the car’s “Autopilot” system making a similar error in the same spot, according to documents released Tuesday by federal investigators.

Investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board, using data recorded by Huang’s 2017 Tesla Model X, “confirmed that the Tesla Autosteer system made a left steering movement toward” the area on March 19, 2018. Huang had his hands on the steering wheel at the time and “made a right corrective steering movement” within one second, according to the NTSB.

Tesla on Autopilot system sped up, didn’t brake before crash, federal investigators say

Huang told relatives that his car had tried to steer off the road multiple times before in the same place, according to NTSB interviews. “The family explained that it happened so often that he had told both his brother and his wife about the problem,” according to the NTSB.

But on March 23, after Huang dropped his son off at preschool and headed toward his office, he used his iPhone 8 while behind the wheel, according to the NTSB. Recovered phone logs show that a strategy game called “Three Kingdoms” was “active during the driver’s trip to work,” the NTSB said. Investigators said the log data “does not provide enough information to ascertain” whether Huang “was holding the phone or how interactive he was,” though it said “most players have both hands on the phone to support the device and manipulate game actions.” Huang’s data usage was “consistent” with online game activity “about the time of the crash,” according to the NTSB.

When Huang’s Tesla SUV reached the exit ramp area in Mountain View, where he said the problems previously occurred, the car again steered out of its lane and hit a barrier at about 71 miles per hour, according to the NTSB.

Tesla did not immediately respond Tuesday to questions about the Autopilot flaw Huang described or whether it had been fixed.

During the final minute of the trip, Huang’s hands were detected on the steering wheel “on three separate occasions, for a total of 34 seconds,” the NTSB previously reported. For the six seconds before the crash, “the vehicle did not detect the driver’s hands on the steering wheel.” In its final seconds, the car also sped up from 62 mph, investigators said.

NTSB and Tesla executives clash over investigation into deadly California crash

Huang had Autopilot on for nearly 19 minutes before the crash, and the system detected that his hands were not on the wheel 34 percent of that time, according to the newly released NTSB documents. The system gave him two “visual alerts” and an audible one during that time, the documents say.

“The driver sustained fatal injuries and was unable to be interviewed regarding potential in-vehicle distractions,” the NTSB said.

Tesla has faced sharp criticism from some lawmakers in Congress and elsewhere for calling its driver assistance features “Autopilot,” which critics say is an overstatement of the system’s capabilities and can encourage customers to let their guard down. The features are supposed to keep the car in its lane and apply the brakes in an emergency, but Tesla tells drivers they need to keep their hands on the wheel and stay in control of the vehicle.

Huang’s wife “remembered the salesperson informing him the Autopilot system was not fully autopilot yet because of the ‘government,’” according to the NTSB documents. “She also remembered him being informed that the driver needed to keep his hands on the steering wheel while using Autopilot.”

Tesla, responding to questions from Sen. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) in December, provided data indicating that its customers who use Autopilot are significantly less likely to crash.

“Tesla takes the risk of improper use or abuse of Autopilot very seriously. Making sure the driver is attentive and able to take over at any time is a cornerstone of our feature development and validation, and something we continue to improve through fleet learning, customer feedback, and over-the-air (‘OTA’) updates,” the company wrote.

The NTSB will hold a meeting later this month to determine the probable cause of Huang’s crash.

Federal investigators Tuesday also released information on a second deadly crash, in 2019, as a driver used Autopilot in Delray Beach, Fla. In that crash, a tractor trailer drove out from a private driveway and slowed in the middle of a highway, blocking the Tesla’s path, federal investigators said.

Neither the Tesla driver, Jeremy Banner, nor the Autopilot system “executed evasive maneuvers,” and the car’s roof sheared off as it drove under the truck, according to the NTSB.

The speed limit was 55 mph. Banner set the “Traffic Aware Cruise Control,” part of Autopilot, at 69 mph about 12 seconds before the crash, investigators said. He activated “Autosteer” about 10 seconds before the crash. His hands were not detected on the wheel during the final 7.7 seconds before impact, the NTSB said.

Banner’s wife, Kim, told investigators that Banner was “always engaged and alert” while using Autopilot, according to the NTSB’s account of the interview. She said he bought the Tesla Model 3 after years of research, “because it combined two of his passions — cars and computers.”

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Maybe the schad is on me, but I subscribe to the Washington Post for $6/month and it gives me full access, gives me another full account login I can give to someone else, and the ability to gift a one-month subscription to one person per month. It's the best cost/benefit I've seen for a media subscription in a long time.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the schadenfreude is you giving Jeff Bezos your money, yeah

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

the schadenfreude is you giving Jeff Bezos your money, yeah

:negative:

Edit: Well, I also boycott Amazon so maybe it kind of balances out in the end.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe the schad is on me, but I subscribe to the Washington Post for $6/month and it gives me full access, gives me another full account login I can give to someone else, and the ability to gift a one-month subscription to one person per month. It's the best cost/benefit I've seen for a media subscription in a long time.

You gave a WEBSITE... MONEY?! LOL you idiot!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grem posted:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Grem posted:

I only make donations directly to spine funds.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hmm, sounds like you just don't want to rock and roll all night and party every day.

Always thought it was "wanna rock and roll a night, and part of every day". These guys are more hardcore than I thought! :ohdear:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Teddy Roosevelt reincarnated.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

You can tell it's a cover band, since Paul Stanley can't hit those highs anymore.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Dude uses Autopilot feature on his Tesla. Dude notices that it consistently steers his car toward a specific spot on his commute such that he has to correct for it. This problem is so bad and so unnerving that he even tells his family about it. Dude also likes to play “Three Kingdoms” on his phone.

Guess what happens next.

Correct me if I'm wrong but... if I have to pay attention and have my hands on the wheel the whole time then what's the difference betweem Autopilot (lol) and driving the drat car myself?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Reallycoolname posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but... if I have to pay attention and have my hands on the wheel the whole time then what's the difference betweem Autopilot (lol) and driving the drat car myself?

Many many thousands of dollars

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Reallycoolname posted:

Not dying, apparently

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Reallycoolname posted:

A feeling of superiority and smugness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Hmm I see. Rename "Guillotine" to "Autopilot" and they'll just start killing themselves. :hmmyes: