Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

This exact scenario happened in Bleach and it was dumber than it sounds

Which part?

The part that always bothers me the most in manga/anime is when Newton's Third Law isn't even remotely conserved. Or like when someone who can't fly is in the air and they are pushing down on someone, and they get a little bit more angry and it pushes the ground person away. Like what, did they suddenly weigh more? This happens a lot with One Piece padding, and it always takes me out of the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sometimes your bones turn into cookies

e:

Kild fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 14, 2020

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super Rad posted:

Garou just subconsciously learned Metal Bat's style during their fight, duh

wait what the gently caress :psyboom:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I think Ichigo's bones were starting to break when he first used his Bankai on account of its speed iirc? The speed which only really made a difference in that one fight anyway. God drat Bleach.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Bushmaori posted:

I think Ichigo's bones were starting to break when he first used his Bankai on account of its speed iirc? The speed which only really made a difference in that one fight anyway. God drat Bleach.

Bleach spoilers I guess.

I remember Noita saying at some point "Of course no one can survive having a sword through their head; actually, I have a much bigger hole in my head!" as if that made sense.
Even though there was no real reason to assume ghosts had the same anatomy as humans and indeed, the ghosts have different organs such as the soul sink or whatever.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Fly Molo posted:

wait what the gently caress :psyboom:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They’re using good ol hot blooded shonen spirit.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Once fueled by arrogance and spite, Garou is now empowered by hot-blooded shounen spirit courtesy of his copying skills and Metal Bat.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Shadow0 posted:

Bleach spoilers I guess.

I remember Noita saying at some point "Of course no one can survive having a sword through their head; actually, I have a much bigger hole in my head!" as if that made sense.
Even though there was no real reason to assume ghosts had the same anatomy as humans and indeed, the ghosts have different organs such as the soul sink or whatever.

They stabbed someone through the Phineas Gage?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Fartbox posted:

If you have shounen powers you can absorb infinite amounts of damage until it doesn't fit the plot anymore

I just got the idea that Garou is essentially unkillable like Saitama. He just still gets hurt because he's not as oblivious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garou's stuck in Galuf mode.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kassad posted:

I just got the idea that Garou is essentially unkillable like Saitama. He just still gets hurt because he's not as oblivious.
Garou as the upstart villain working his way to being the strongest villain will always take damage. His journey is not easy. This is totally in the logic of fighting manga.

Saitama broke the logic of fighting manga with his training regimen because this all started as a comedy manga and his angst of being invulnerable is funny.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Goku would also be miserable if there was nobody strong to challenge him

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

M_Gargantua posted:

Goku would also be miserable if there was nobody strong to challenge him

Nah, he'd just keep visiting random planets and eating the inhabitants hoping to gain more powers like Instant Transmission.

EDIT: Everything I know about Dragonball has been learned from watching the TeamFourStar parody series on Youtube, don't @me. :colbert:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Garou is a Sayien which are Canon to the OPM universe running high off Zenkai's which is why he keeps getting stronger no matter how hard he gets clown hammered. He'll probably probably start shooting lasers here in a bit.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Which part?

When the scientist dude replaced all the bones in his body with dummy ones so the other science dude's ability didn't work right

Come the gently caress on here Kubo

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought it was just organs, not bones.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Mayuri is like Batman, given enough preparation he can beat anyone through sheer bullshitery.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I thought it was just organs, not bones.

i remember organs too but im sure mayuri had fake bones as well

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poo poo, you’re right, good catch.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Parrotine posted:

When the scientist dude replaced all the bones in his body with dummy ones so the other science dude's ability didn't work right

Come the gently caress on here Kubo

That was such delicious bullshit. Mayuri was good. :colbert:
He also fought a better sword fighter by automating his sword.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm also mad about the guy from Bleach who doesn't look human at all in any respects doing weird bullshit. I prefer it when my ki ghosts make sense and bleed like normal(?) people?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bleach started to operate on Calvinball Rules just a little bit after the magic sword powers were introduced. While this would seem to be fun, Kubo fell into a trap of cast bloat and ended up wasting time giving every remotely popular character a chance to do a thing and it was boring.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Bleach started to operate on Calvinball Rules just a little bit after the magic sword powers were introduced. While this would seem to be fun, Kubo fell into a trap of cast bloat and ended up wasting time giving every remotely popular character a chance to do a thing and it was boring.

While I'm not into Bleach this is the thing I haven't been able to put into words about people lamenting the My Hero Academia secondary cast not having anything to do. It'll drag the story into the dirt if they do.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
MHA apparently has some ridiculous deal where they're going to make a movie a year for the next ten years. The fact the movies are written in conjunction with the original author makes me hopeful they can let the other kids do cool stuff there rather than slowing down the main story line.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hopefully they won't all be set like multiple arcs ahead like the latest movie

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm also mad about the guy from Bleach who doesn't look human at all in any respects doing weird bullshit. I prefer it when my ki ghosts make sense and bleed like normal(?) people?

Come on man, you can pull this argument with any type of fiction. Saying 'it's just X it doesnt have to make sense' is the weakest straw defense for what is flat bad writing on Kubo's part. No idea what you're getting at with your kids ghost bleeding thing, cause that's a thing they do? Good fiction that relies on its established ecology has to adhere to the rules it sets up or it comes across as poor writing, no matter how hard or soft its magic system is.

Delicious bullshit is when Kenpachi wins a fight by using both hand, that poo poo was hilarious, completely unexpected and totally in character to boot.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Parrotine posted:

Delicious bullshit is when Kenpachi wins a fight by using both hand, that poo poo was hilarious, completely unexpected and totally in character to boot.

That was such a good moment.

It feels like the type of joke ONE would pull. But no one in OPM is lackadaisical enough to do that outside of Saita...

Oh, god. the TWOPunch-Man????

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If you think about it, Saitama's workout doesn't really promote punching as the strongest thing he could do. He could always be hiding his ultra-powerful kicks!!!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Parrotine posted:

Come on man, you can pull this argument with any type of fiction. Saying 'it's just X it doesnt have to make sense' is the weakest straw defense for what is flat bad writing on Kubo's part. No idea what you're getting at with your kids ghost bleeding thing, cause that's a thing they do? Good fiction that relies on its established ecology has to adhere to the rules it sets up or it comes across as poor writing, no matter how hard or soft its magic system is.

It was fun when the insane bullshit science dude had insane bullshit science imo, especially when the enemy he was fighting had spent months in real-time just clowning on the good guys with his own dumb bullshit

Bleach at that point definitely wasn't good fiction but it was somewhat enjoyable and that was one of the dumb fights I found enjoyable

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 18, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Andrast posted:

It was fun when the insane bullshit science dude had insane bullshit science imo, especially when the enemy he was fighting had spent months in real-time just clowning on the good guys with his own dumb bullshit

Bleach at that point definitely wasn't good fiction but it was somewhat enjoyable and that was one of the dumb fights I found enjoyable

I went back and watched and it was even more 'yeah sure okay' than the premise of the show would've had me shrugging about from watching 400+ episodes of Bleach. He put spy bacteria on Uryu, watched him get his organs broke and decided to make fake organs before showing up as backup.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I went back and watched and it was even more 'yeah sure okay' than the premise of the show would've had me shrugging about from watching 400+ episodes of Bleach.

Well yeah, it's bleach

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Well yeah, it's bleach

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you! If I'm 200 episodes deep into a show and one of the characters asks their friend to pull one of their teeth out so they can make a flare I'll probably just roll with it.

Plus Mayuri's been the character that has weird trap card plans to all of his fights anyway so I'm used to him having wild poo poo all the time.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bacon flaps posted:

i remember organs too but im sure mayuri had fake bones as well

Bones are organs though. :eng101:

I love that whole thing. It was so hilariously ridiculous.

Mayuri was pretty cool and I really enjoyed him. He definitely has a hard case of the bad-guy-inexplicably-turned-good though. Uryuu just forgets that this man killed and tortured his grandfather for the fun of it.

I also agree that when there's 0 consistency in a show, regardless of it being a magical fictional whatever, it is just bad writing and it takes you out of the immersion and ruins the experience.

Bleach is the unfortunate result of something becoming too popular for its own good, and the author getting stuck making a story for something he didn't plan to carry on for so long.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 19, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

Bones are organs though. :eng101:

I love that whole thing. It was so hilariously ridiculous.

Mayuri was pretty cool and I really enjoyed him. He definitely has a hard case of the bad-guy-inexplicably-turned-good though. Uryuu just forgets that this man killed and tortured his grandfather for the fun of it.

I also agree that when there's 0 consistency in a show, regardless of it being a magical fictional whatever, it is just bad writing and it takes you out of the immersion and ruins the experience.

Bleach is the unfortunate result of something becoming too popular for its own good, and the author getting stuck making a story for something he didn't plan to carry on for so long.

Honestly, that whole sequence with Mayuri was golden. He also shows up to rescue King Jobber and Uryu, then the next scene is him begging for mercy only for the Arrancar to kill him. Que next panel of him standing there laughing and bragging about replacing his organs. It was fantastically stupid.

It's such a shame Bleach went down the way it did.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder now if despite the nonsense of the plot if the anime would have been much more popular up to the end if they had just gone on hiatuses instead of filler and padding.
I suppose manga sales were also declining.
Goodwill from the first season really carried that show much farther than it should have.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Peak Bleach was main character spending 3 years getting a powerup and traveling up and down and again up Snake Road to use it, then 0.1ms after he activates it it is instantly broken by YHWH's futuresight-time-space-bending magic and noone except the villain ever gets to see what it does. It was hilarious. Thats it thats the good moment in last years of bleach.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
peak Bleach was a character who fans speculated for years about finally turning up to dramatically open a door and then do nothing ever again

edit: I double checked and it turns out they did do something, and that something was an unfinished fight with an inconsequential character that you never see the outcome of

Bleck fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 19, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bleck posted:

peak Bleach was a character who fans speculated for years about finally turning up to dramatically open a door and then do nothing ever again

edit: I double checked and it turns out they did do something, and that something was an unfinished fight with an inconsequential character that you never see the outcome of

Help me out here who was that? The dad squad?

When talking about Bleach highlights, let's not forget the menacing owl-crane-trumpet-high heeled-centaur-angel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Darth TNT posted:

Help me out here who was that? The dad squad?

grimmjow