Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
has anyone called it buttcoin poo poo Pissizen yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Oh good, new page too. What a way to start.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen will never, ever be playable in VR, for so many reasons I'm not even going to bother to list them

not only will we see a fully playable vertical slice in VR this year at citizencon (it'll never be as much as mentioned in passing again after that) that also definitely means that the entirety of the game has also been fully converted to VR. a special VR-gimmick ship sale will also go up at the same time (it uh has a holodeck or something? doesn't matter, it'll never be functional)

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AbstractNapper posted:

One would say that things have become stale.

One would say that things have become tane.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Long have we expected Star Citizen to become the subject of economical, social and marketing research.
Had anyone already linked this article?
The Star Citizen Phenomenon & the “Ultimate Dream Management” Technique in Crowdfunding
https://madoc.bib.uni-mannheim.de/52836/1/The%20Star%20Citizen%20Phenomenon%20%26%20the%20_Ultimate%20Dream%20Management_%20Tec.pdf
Keywords: Crowdfunding, management technique, dreams, social exchange, social capital

Goon valor to someone on the Frontier forums: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/star-citizen-discussion-thread-v11.529121/post-8298532

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beexoffel posted:

Long have we expected Star Citizen to become the subject of economical, social and marketing research.
The Star Citizen Phenomenon & the “Ultimate Dream Management” Technique in Crowdfunding
https://madoc.bib.uni-mannheim.de/52836/1/The%20Star%20Citizen%20Phenomenon%20%26%20the%20_Ultimate%20Dream%20Management_%20Tec.pdf
Keywords: Crowdfunding, management technique, dreams, social exchange, social capital

Goon valor to someone on the Frontier forums: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/star-citizen-discussion-thread-v11.529121/post-8298532

:laffo:

Also stealing valor from that thread:

:v: A few stats from this academic paper on Star Citizen:

The word "Dream" was used 70 times.
The abbreviation "UDM" (Ultimate Dream Management) was used 21 times.
The word "Game" was used 18 times.

The ratio seems about right.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Blue On Blue posted:

One guy was selling his Star Citizen custom gaming rig on ebay I think?

And another guy turned his basement into the spergship enterprise, I imagine he is now entombed inside the walls

You mean the German guy who died in a tragic chokejerk incident, or is this another guy? I’ve been on-and-off following this shitshow for years and it all blends together.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

star citizen is a game that exists

marumaru fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 18, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

valiantlife posted:

There's guys like logicalchimp that get cycled through every two years for SC.

They defend SC vehemently with nothing but speculation and reading between the lines, while ignoring what's right in front of them. Eventually they wear themselves down, realise they've been saying the same thing for 24 months and progress continues to stall.

This is where I'm at except the other side, waiting for the bricks to fall down.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I have the vivid image in my mind of a Citizen dying decades from now while waiting for the game to release, and being entombed in their SC themed basement sim-pit, as an aged group of a dozen of their surviving org mates gather at Olisar and play taps over the in-game voice channel. One of them turns on FOIP to try to display their emotional anguish, and is instantly deskeletonized as the server crashes.

In a Cayman Islands luxury retirement community, 95 year old Chris Roberts is about to breathe his last. A snow globe containing a model of an Idris falls out of his hand, breaking on the ground as he whispers his last word “fidelity”.

The next day, Lando breaks the news via Skype from a LA IHOP were he went to catch the senior early bird special. The one dev still working on the game from his college dorm room, switches the game’s version from Alpha 43.5 to Beta 1.0 (Chris Roberts Memorial Release).

Star Citizen goes on to have its best funding year yet, even though CIG now only accepts cash mailed directly to a PO Box in Switzerland. Sandi uses the money to get another round of plastic surgery, so she can audition for the part of a 29 year old struggling actress, co-starting in a direct to video re-make of The Perception, with a washed-up Jacob Tremblay fresh out rehab for the fourth time.

:lol:

I feel like I'm reading the release notes of the future.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

top post on :reddit:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

star citizen is a game that exists

Well if I can look at atoms and gently caress rats I guess this is pretty much worthy of my support! Why didn't you say so 10 years ago?!

Buying my atom-ratfuck edition right now!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Inacio posted:

Guys they are obviously making tons of progress behind the scenes, I'd say they are even ahead of schedule but are too humble to tell us. They're also waiting for the lawsuit to blow over even if they kept on updating the roadmap these past months. It's all a show, they have almost finished the game and will surprise us very soon.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Beexoffel posted:

I searched for some other studies that made SC their object of research and I found this older paper:
The pastoral crowd: Exploring self‐hostedcrowdfunding using activity theory and socialcapital
https://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/isj.12143

quote:

Fourth, the study demonstrates the scale sensitivity of long‐term crowd‐participation models. The Star Citizen case suggests a significant proportion of backers were investing (at least partly) because they wished to take part ina project that would otherwise lie outside their individual reach. Roberts Space Industries embraced this by offering backers the opportunity to make creative contributions. However, this became decreasingly feasible as the project became more successful. Thus, they were placed in the paradoxical position of becoming more successful and less capable of meeting backers' expectations. This issue of unanticipated success in crowdfunding leading to issues of capacity is not new (eg, Mollick, 2014; Mollick & Kuppuswamy, 2014). However, previous observations have largely concerned supply chain management and the physical production of goods, rather than the production of digital(seemingly scale‐insensitive) products. Observations from this study show that this issue can transcend physical production issues, particularly where backers are encouraged to take personal ownership over the project
So... backers killed SC.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1229604219641942017

So... like Wing Commander and SQ42 updates.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dwesa posted:

So... backers killed SC.

Well video kiled the radio star, but you don't see me banging on about it!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Star Citizen was the friends we made along the way.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Go on, post that in reply on his twatter feed.

I dare you! I double dare you!

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Can't believe I've wasted 7+ years of my life thinking about this scam.

The only way to WIN with Shart Citizoids is to not know about it.

To know about it, is to lose. Whether you're a supporter or a dissenter, if you know about Star Citizen, you fuckin lose.

Buy an idris.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

IcarusUpHigh posted:

To know about it, is to lose. Whether you're a supporter or a dissenter, if you know about Star Citizen, you fuckin lose.

Buy an idris.

Too true.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

Go on, post that in reply on his twatter feed.

I dare you! I double dare you!

As if I didn't already.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Buy an idris.

Counterpoint: Bear photoshops were worth it.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TBF, I liked Asimov's Sally more than King's Christine.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Buy an idris.

On one hand, you are right. Depressingly right.

On the other hand, I can say unironically that in the last 500 years 7 years, my longest and most heartfelt laughs were at this train wreck. The record was 20 minutes of straight laughter, until my stomach hurt and my eyes had swelled shut, and that was courtesy of whoever put Crobear in the official CitizenCon mosaic.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Also why would you pick that car, when there are so many suitable models for "visual fidelity" on a novel cover? You could go for lovely Saab (hey, it has extra durability!), BMW 7, Toyota Curren and lots of other cars made in 1995. but no, pull some random ugly car.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

No love for Clapton’s Layla?

Also some fun convergence happening on qtards finally thinking Q might be full of poo poo, and the citizen militant.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Inacio posted:

Second highest reply on that thread;

quote:

I can’t believe a few hundred developers just twiddle their thumbs while a lawsuit was going on. I’m a developer too, and I know for long periods of time tickets are just in QA before being moved to done.

I remember a few years ago people thought nothing was going on with regards to the SP campaign, then there was a leak which showed a huge amount of content that was made without anyone knowing.

I’m beginning to wonder if CIG is using a different methodology to measure chapter progress and have not updated it externally. For instance say a new mechanic, like the stealth mechanics are now being implemented, this means all chapters need to have this added in with some level layout rework, with new props, AI routes, and testing. Such new mechanics is probably what is causing chapter reports to be ‘paused’. A new mechanic can take chapters which are post greybox back into greybox phase. If this happens regularly, the progress almost become meaningless until the final game mechanic which influences the chapter is implemented and final polish starts.

So progress could be much further that what we imagine it to be.

Is this "Bargaining" now?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

UnknownTarget posted:

Second highest reply on that thread;

It's also scope creep

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hav posted:

No love for Clapton’s Layla?

Also some fun convergence happening on qtards finally thinking Q might be full of poo poo, and the citizen militant.

Clapton's Layla isn't a car, though ww

UnknownTarget posted:

(snip to quote)
For instance say a new mechanic, like the stealth mechanics are now being implemented
(snip)

I see that CI's roadmap stealth mechanic is progressing nicely!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

UnknownTarget posted:

I see the faithful are still using words like "progress" unironically.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dwesa posted:

I searched for some other studies that made SC their object of research and I found this older paper:
The pastoral crowd: Exploring self‐hostedcrowdfunding using activity theory and socialcapital
https://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/isj.12143

So... backers killed SC.

Hahaha!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Buy an idris.

Your fudster, the game started real development in 2018. It's barely been 2 years!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

As if I didn't already.

Ah!

Why mention Wing Commander though?

Got to love his info section:

> Personal account. Not work-related

Profile pic is of him at work with that other guy from SC behind him.

And over on the SC sub....

> Is breaching ships a scrapped concept?

Tagged as concern, over 50% downvoted.

Also from the SC sub

> It's almost a little bit weird in that nobody really should have to pay more than $40-60 for a AAA title, but, without people spending over that SC would probably be a very different animal.

Well, yes, you know, it might have actually been something achievable.

> That's why I backed too. I saw the kickstarter, but I wasn't so enticed by the initial scope of the game. When they started talking about expanding the scope and we would be getting a space experience beyond the level of freelancer, I realized that's the game I always wanted.

Was aware of Freelancer, gleefully unaware of what happened with Freelancer.

And an innconcent writes...

> Once it finally releases you won't need to upgrade with real money because you can complete the mission arcs or careers in-game to get new and improved ships.

While a woke citizien writes...

> It's probably people that have spent a lot of money already. Nobody likes to be told that the $800 they spent on a Kickstarter project may not pan out exactly as they envisioned it/was promised to them, but at the same time there's nothing to say to someone pointing it out if there's nothing to show for it.

And this one gave me a chuckle

> I’m at a couple hundred and feel utterly retarded. Not that I don’t enjoy the game or aren’t excited about the proposed features, mind you, but if I’d spent that much on any other game I would rightly be ridiculed as a monumental idiot yet here I am, having dropped $200 on a drat video game. Not only that, but one that probably won’t be finished for at least 3 more years, if ever.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

Ah!

Why mention Wing Commander though?

Because if we're drawing lines between something old to something relatively new (and the resulting stupidity), Wing Commander and SQ42 provide a fairly direct path.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: Origin 890 Jump Drone Footage on Microtech From JorunnSC & Yacht Club

https://i.imgur.com/oNQlxls.gifv

:gonk: How much money spent is in this picture?

:homebrew: Roughly 10k.

:gonk: Holy gently caress, does this now qualify as the most expensive screenshot of all time?

:shepspends: We had 28 Jumps in a Yacht Club once and we're shooting for a bigger group this weekend. The Jump Club is over 700 owners currently... https://media.giphy.com/media/LqUOs4OcFJzmSLt5hw/giphy.gif

:homebrew: Over 700 members and all of them own a 890J? If this is the case, then you're looking at around 700-800k worth of ships in that group alone. That's only factoring in the 890J's too. I'd bet that group has funded this game over $1mil alone.

:shepspends: When you consider that the 890J tends to be just one of their large fleets it's many millions. This is just the combat capitals of about 80 of them

:ughh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dementropy posted:

Because if we're drawing lines between something old to something relatively new (and the resulting stupidity), Wing Commander and SQ42 provide a fairly direct path.

This. Star Citizen actually started as a single player story driven flight sim that was a spiritual sequel to Wing Commander. Now who knows what the gently caress it is.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I said come in! posted:

Now who knows what the gently caress it is.

Roberts has inserted quantum mechanics in game development.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Origin 890 Jump Drone Footage on Microtech From JorunnSC & Yacht Club

:gonk: How much money spent is in this picture?

:homebrew: Roughly 10k.

:gonk: Holy gently caress, does this now qualify as the most expensive screenshot of all time?

:shepspends: We had 28 Jumps in a Yacht Club once and we're shooting for a bigger group this weekend. The Jump Club is over 700 owners currently...

:homebrew: Over 700 members and all of them own a 890J? If this is the case, then you're looking at around 700-800k worth of ships in that group alone. That's only factoring in the 890J's too. I'd bet that group has funded this game over $1mil alone.

:shepspends: When you consider that the 890J tends to be just one of their large fleets it's many millions. This is just the combat capitals of about 80 of them

:ughh:

Fuuuuuuuuckkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I said come in! posted:

This. Star Citizen actually started as a single player story driven flight sim that was a spiritual sequel to Wing Commander. Now who knows what the gently caress it is.

Note that citizens will claim that it was supposed to be an MMO from the start, but the Kickstarter clearly describes it as a single-player game with a persistent multiplayer universe you enter after you complete the main solo campaign, ala Freelancer, with future content that would primarily be more solo campaign missions. The whole focus on the MMO and PU pretty obviously came later after they realized selling ships was the real cash cow.