Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

AntherUslessPoster posted:

k

Implied* that federation has, but can use the resources elsewhere so it doesnt allocate resources to help old enemy
Post scarcity is not post resource
Its vague enough to show the uninitiated viewers the reasons and whats happening but not vague enough for trekkies who can tie Picard's personality with what's happening on screen, why he does this or that
Cool elf with sword in a universe where fencing is a cool pastime, where klingons have ceremonial and actual weapons of all types of blades and only 2 types of energy disruptors, where even logical vulcans have lirpas. Secretive race of secretive people we barely know anything about has people who are practicing 'Absolute candor' as a way of life, whats wrong with that? That they are nuns? lmao

Yeah. In the Shelliac episode they can't get ships to that region for a week or two, so they need to stall them a little, iirc.

A fair bunch of Trek combat so far in the show has been hand-to-hand combat, except when they have phaser battles, which actually piss me off more because it's written down in the technical manual that the typical hand phaser is able to displace/vapourise over half a kilometre of solid rock. Nobody uses that :(

I'm not entirely satisfied with the Picard show, but I want to see how it plays out. IMO DIS and Picard are already doing slightly better than late DS9 grimdark because there's continual acknowledgement that the Federation is not intended to be bad. The admiral acknowledges that they sent Pike and co. away precisely because they were the best of Starfleet. Picard himself acknowledges that the Federation have gone sour. We have yet to see how that plays out, because it's a long story arc, but I have hope remaining that they will fix this because the writers themselves are admitting that this is not how it's supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I wouldn't call DS9 grimdark. Gritty perhaps, but not grimdark.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I wouldn't call DS9 grimdark. Gritty perhaps, but not grimdark.

DS9 is also very open about the fact they're fundamentally good people pushed to do bad things and REALLY want any other options they can take if possible.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I started watching SG-1 recently. It's pretty okay, but does it ever get good? I could take or leave pretty much everything about it save for Richard Dean Anderson, who is a treasure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
No. RDA is the only good thing about it and the quality of any given episode will vary wildly but never actually reach "good".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Epicurius posted:

And Stiles's racism is solved by the end of the episode because it's a standalone episode, so everything has to be resolved at the end of the episode. I'd assume in modern serialized Star Trek, Stiles would gradually, over the course of the season, learn that racism is wrong, and change accordingly.

I can't think of anything more tedious than this.

Oh wait I can, it was season one of Discovery.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Post scarcity is not post resource
right but the nature of replicators as matter constructor / deconstructors and warp cores as essentially unlimited power sources means that in practice the federation economy is exactly that

the main reason ferenghi use gold pressed latinum is because it literally cannot be replicated, they state this constantly in ds9

Cool elf with sword in a universe where fencing is a cool pastime, where klingons have ceremonial and actual weapons of all types of blades and only 2 types of energy disruptors, where even logical vulcans have lirpas.
ok but the episode literally has him about to be killed by one dickhead with a disruptor before he is beamed out

in the real world we have aido, kendo, chinese theatre and gangs in south america with machetes. you know where we dont use any of these things? in actual combat situations

swords are loving idiotic when autoloading ranged weaponry exists. even the klingons have disruptor pistols and rifles for actual combat, the bathleths are just for duelling or demoralising beaten foes for fun

e: also the lirpas are ceremonial

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 18, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Good loving lord; "Honorbound swordsman with a katana" is about as dead a horse as you can flog for a writing cliche for a character, and the writers were lazy enough to make zero effort to disguise it. "Secret society of super-fighter warrior-monks" is a close second. If they had any decent chops, they would've also known better not to dress up Picard in a sunhat and suit to go visit an analogue for one of the British Colonies, with a bundle of gifts and trinkets from Federation British Civilization :britain:. There is a loooot to unpack there and none of it good.

Klingons as a whole draw heavily from feudal Japanese society, but the writers pulled from all aspects of it as general reference to create their own recognizable culture rather than duplicating the source inspiration wholesale.

Yeah sure lets nitpick on the fact that there are over a million books released every year around the world and god knows how many movies.
All plots are written, when do they become cliches? Subjective.

Next, about the apartheid parallels. You nitpick on a nasty historical fact being portrayed that is used to amplify the story, that ends up with almost the same bad outcome? Seriously?
Saying that something is bad is not satisfactory anymore, we should not even talk about it?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

right but the nature of replicators as matter constructor / deconstructors and warp cores as essentially unlimited power sources means that in practice the federation economy is exactly that

The energy is the resource, antimatter in the warp cores that is used to run them is created from that energy and dilithium crystals are non-replicable.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

swords are loving idiotic

Also energy weapon dampening fields exist. Lets all go back to lethal bullet weaponry!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the main reason ferenghi use gold pressed latinum is because it literally cannot be replicated

UFP does not use currencies in internal affairs, economy or else.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Also if it is post scarcity why was Picard’s aide complaining about living alone in her space trailer in the middle of the desert while JL was living it up on the family vineyard? Was that her only option?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Xenocides posted:

Also if it is post scarcity why was Picard’s aide complaining about living alone in her space trailer in the middle of the desert while JL was living it up on the family vineyard? Was that her only option?

I figure that anywhere on Earth would be considered prime real estate in the 24th Century so I can only assume it's self imposed, otherwise she'd be living on some lovely colony world in the middle of nowhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah sure lets nitpick on the fact that there are over a million books released every year around the world and god knows how many movies.
All plots are written, when do they become cliches? Subjective.

:irony:

Plots become cliche when they're overused and it's patently clear they're not the writer's own efforts due to being taken wholesale from another work. It's specifically why I brought up the Klingons, who also draw from the same general archetype and culture, yet manage to create their own identity around it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

In lesser degree to defend Picard and in not a moment to defend writers but to try to understand the use of cliches - they have a quantifiable goal to hit and a team to brainstorm with CEOs to please.
They have to refer to understandable 'human' standards there.
Also this is why I refer people to Darmok as the first episode to watch to get the essence of Trek. Its alien. And ST:Picard is human.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

In lesser degree to defend Picard and in not a moment to defend writers but to try to understand the use of cliches - they have a quantifiable goal to hit and a team to brainstorm with CEOs to please.
They have to refer to understandable 'human' standards there.

Lol, that doesn't mean you just use a dot-point list of character cliches verbatim and call it a day. Most decent writers are able to start from a cliche and build on that to shape a character's own identity, and "CEO's to please" has not been a thing since the 90's. Cable and streaming programs are their own beast and network oversight generally starts and ends with a signature on the project to let the Showrunner do their own thing. And even if it were the case, most prestige shows are looking for characters with some measure of depth nowadays instead of cheap archetypes because they're all hopelessly chasing Game of Thrones (incidentally and on-topic; say hello to Jorah Mormont).

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they had any decent chops, they would've also known better not to dress up Picard in a sunhat and suit to go visit an analogue for one of the British Colonies, with a bundle of gifts and trinkets from Federation British Civilization :britain:. There is a loooot to unpack there and none of it good.
I don't know if we were watching the same show, because I thought this was brilliant. You have the white man's human's burden, the class difference, the noblesse oblige, the days of yore, even the idea of an empire (or a Federation) not yet rotting and feeble -- all these ideas and many more encapsulated in a simple costume. If Riker had shown up wearing it we'd know there'd be an action sequence coming up, if Geordi, he'd be on the way to the holodeck, but Picard, wearing this colonialist costume, parroting a greeting straight out of Berlitz (though he shows he knows some actual Romulan language later), is a marker for this time and mood in the past that could in itself lead to a bunch of guys wanting to kick his rear end 14 years later.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Communist Walrus posted:

I started watching SG-1 recently. It's pretty okay, but does it ever get good? I could take or leave pretty much everything about it save for Richard Dean Anderson, who is a treasure.

I watched it several months ago and wound up drifting away from it sometime in season 6. I generally wouldn't sit down to just watch it but it's a good show for having in the background while you do something else. People like to riff on "lol oh look it's the forest moon of british columbia again!!" but what I found more striking was how much time they spent in the infirmary (which, to be honest, were usually not terrible gripping scenes IMO).

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

In a world of basic pumpkin latte bitches even 7 of 9 in a catsuit is almost Shakespearean deep.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

In a world of basic pumpkin latte bitches even 7 of 9 in a catsuit is almost Shakespearean deep.

now this is the power of caffeine

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The classic universally understood human standard, noble sword elf

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Xenocides posted:

its weird because it was very much implied to be that way in tng, and there were even some mentions of it in tos

then in later series of tng you have them gambling, then ds9 pretty much drops the whole pretence and starys openly talking about money and pay (largely because it was a bajoran station, but it even started to leak into intra starfleet stuff)

then skip forward to picard and something is clearly very fucky because they are able to use not being able to afford to help romulus as an excuse*, and i am pretty sure a few people have used the word expensive, as well as the woman forced to live in a trailer in the middle of nowhere (although i suspect she is living there more for the solitude than the price)

i am going to take a step back and retract my statement that the federation is post-resource or currencyless or however you want to put it

instead i am going to say that it is odd to track how money and limited resources are handled in the various trek series, and how picard is probably the furthest outlier in terms of money / resources being directly stated as a reason for not doing things in a way that pretty much no other show has done (outside of ferenghi episodes), and it feels jarring

like having someone say they cannot afford to do something doesn't really feel very star trek, is my point

* even if that is not the real reason, the fact that it is at all plausable says something about the concepts of scarcity involved

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 18, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[

Epicurius posted:

And Stiles's racism is solved by the end of the episode because it's a standalone episode, so everything has to be resolved at the end of the episode. I'd assume in modern serialized Star Trek, Stiles would gradually, over the course of the season, learn that racism is wrong, and change accordingly.
In modern serialised Star Trek Stiles' unfounded suspicion will turn out to have been justified and correct all along for the simple reason that modern Star Trek might spend a scene or an episode to say "hey racism is bad" but never to actually demonstrate it for the audience because they already know racism is bad and there's laser betrayals to foreshadow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still surprised people can't get the idea of the issue with the Romulan rescue operation and sabotage- the point is that while the Federation has a lot of resources, they're not unlimited, especially when given a mission with hard time constraints, and were already putting a ton of pressure on member worlds to aid a nation-state that's been mostly hostile and a reluctant at best ally during times of total war- and a lot of Federation members probably have suffered personally at the hands of Romulan imperialism. And kind of the point is that it wasn't just the evacuation- the Romulan crisis requires an ongoing response to turn refugee camps into homes for billions of people that could never go home again, and the Federation bailed on them when that was most needed.

Kind of the point is that the operation was costly, but by any humanitarian measures, would be both necessary and worth the effort, but Starfleet bailed out of selfishness, paranoia and fear brought on by a sudden attack.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 18, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The classic universally understood human standard, noble sword elf

Ahem
Fantastic weaponised character with higher morals than humans

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hope the payoff for his backstory is a holodeck ep where he's in full Three Musketeers getup

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And kind of the point is that it wasn't just the evacuation- the Romulan crisis requires an ongoing response to turn refugee camps into homes for billions of people that could never go home again, and the Federation bailed on them when that was most needed.
you can also understand how after the shitshow between the cardassians and the maquis the federation might be a bit wary of getting involved in another refugee / colony situation

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Alright I started actually watching Picard, and while you’re all talking about sword elves I’m here wondering why they needed a shot of Picard’s pitbull’s big swinging dog balls in the first ep

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Alright I started actually watching Picard, and while you’re all talking about sword elves I’m here wondering why they needed a shot of Picard’s pitbull’s big swinging dog balls in the first ep

So you know he lives up to his namesake.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Raku posted:

Kirk speaking French would have been the sexiest thing ever aired on television so I can understand them not doing that in the 60s

It's Quebecois French, he would have sounded like a drunk goose.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

in the best of both worlds, locutus goes full on 7 of 9 haughty borg for a hot minute in part 2. i am way into it and also i want to watch the elseworld s04-07 TNG with captain riker and first officer shelby. they could literally make that right now, the de-aging technology exists and the only thing stopping them is CBS's own cowardice

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.
Rios fucks his holoselves, yall know that right

he "keeps his own company," the hospitaligram says with a sly look.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

mango sentinel posted:

It's Quebecois French, he would have sounded like a drunk goose.

And?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

tbqh I think the swinging dog balls should have their own spin-off series

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Used book stores sometimes carry some crazy poo poo.

I just purchased a mint condition first edition WOK photo novel AND a mint first edition ST:TMP novel for literally a couple of bucks.

EDIT: Just for perspective both of these books are literally older than many of the people posting here. Hell, the ST:TMP novel was published in 1979, which makes it precariously close to boomer age.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Admiralty Flag posted:

I don't know if we were watching the same show, because I thought this was brilliant. You have the white man's human's burden, the class difference, the noblesse oblige, the days of yore, even the idea of an empire (or a Federation) not yet rotting and feeble -- all these ideas and many more encapsulated in a simple costume. If Riker had shown up wearing it we'd know there'd be an action sequence coming up, if Geordi, he'd be on the way to the holodeck, but Picard, wearing this colonialist costume, parroting a greeting straight out of Berlitz (though he shows he knows some actual Romulan language later), is a marker for this time and mood in the past that could in itself lead to a bunch of guys wanting to kick his rear end 14 years later.

The problem is that someone like Picard, or literally anyone with an education from Earth, should be able to look in the mirror and realize what's wrong with that before going anywhere near a Transporter to the planet.

It's fundamentally out of character for a man of history, who captained two of Starfleet's flagships, and just forced for quick recognization instead of making effort.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

tango alpha delta posted:

Used book stores sometimes carry some crazy poo poo.

I just purchased a mint condition first edition WOK photo novel AND a mint first edition ST:TMP novel for literally a couple of bucks.

EDIT: Just for perspective both of these books are literally older than many of the people posting here. Hell, the ST:TMP novel was published in 1979, which makes it precariously close to boomer age.

I once found several of Leonard Nimoy’s extremely dated flower child collections of poetry in a used book shop for $20. One was even autographed and inscribed by him.

They are exactly as terrible as you’d imagine.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I once found several of Leonard Nimoy’s extremely dated flower child collections of poetry in a used book shop for $20. One was even autographed and inscribed by him.

They are exactly as terrible as you’d imagine.

Yeah, it took years for Nimoy to gravitate between "I Am Not Spock" ,in 1975, to gently caress it, this is my meal ticket "I Am Spock." in 1995. By the way, both of those are real books you can buy on Amazon.

I'm also pretty sure 1995 coincides with Nimoy's appearance on TNG's "Unification" two parter.

EDIT: Looks like "Unification" aired in 1991, so that was probably the actual seed of <booming announcer voice> "The Return of Spock".

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, it took years for Nimoy to gravitate between "I Am Not Spock" ,in 1975, to gently caress it, this is my meal ticket "I Am Spock." in 1995. By the way, both of those are real books you can buy on Amazon.

I'm also pretty sure 1995 coincides with Nimoy's appearance on TNG's "Unification" two parter.

The third book wasn't so great though :v:.

I am also Scotty.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The third book wasn't so great though :v:.

I am also Scotty.

Seriously, it's kind of odd to me that a man who landed on D-Day, lost a finger during combat and kept fighting, just didn't beat the poo poo out of Bill Shatner at some point. Doohan was already a loving badass.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 19, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Seriously, it's kind of odd to me that a man who landed on D-Day, lost a finger during combat and kept fighting, just didn't beat the poo poo out of Bill Shatner at some point. Doohan was already a loving badass.

Pretty ironic displaying military fetishism in the Star Trek thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty ironic displaying military fetishism in the Star Trek thread.

That's your takeaway? I think you might be a little confused.

James Doohan served in World War Two, while Bill Shatner spent his younger years in the theatre. Shatner was very, very cocky on set and Doohan put up with a lot, even though he could have taken Shatner aside and had a little 'talk' with him.

tldr: It's ironic that a military man would show more restraint than a civilian is my point.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 19, 2020