Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie

albany academy posted:

if they released a new witcher game that focused entirely on a person trying to be the best gwent player - traveling to new cities, doing weird quests to get rare cards, - i would play the gently caress out of it.

there's a witcher 3 mod that replaces all combat with gwent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

gosh darn it a grizzly bear just ate one of my original colonists' pet dog in rimworld. RIP splurge the terrier

the bear kept hanging around my home area and i wasn't about to let it eat all my chickens and boars and stuff too so i tried to hunt it but it didn't even go on a revenge attack spree and turn into a battle for vengeance for fallen Splurge, it just got pegged a few times in the torso and wandered away until it went into shock from bloodloss later that night :shrug:

wearing a lampshade

food court bailiff posted:

gosh darn it a grizzly bear just ate one of my original colonists' pet dog in rimworld. RIP splurge the terrier

the bear kept hanging around my home area and i wasn't about to let it eat all my chickens and boars and stuff too so i tried to hunt it but it didn't even go on a revenge attack spree and turn into a battle for vengeance for fallen Splurge, it just got pegged a few times in the torso and wandered away until it went into shock from bloodloss later that night :shrug:

train the bear to haul rocks

Rockman Reserve

albany academy posted:

train the bear to haul rocks

they screwed with training since the last time i played, an animal needs "advanced" trainability to be able to learn to haul things, idk that i've actually seen an "advanced" trainable animal so far

you definitely can't do it with boars anymore which is the worst, they're always everywhere and having a few on random-hauling duty early on was usually key to letting colonists actually get real work done

Finger Prince

I absolutely love the rich, detailed, and beautiful worlds that Rockstar builds, like RDR 2, but I find actually playing them I just get bogged down in the minutae of sub quests, side quests, challenges, and accrual that they just get so boring after a while. Then I'll go back months later and start playing again and be like, goddamn this world is gorgeous, and withing a few hours I'm just trying to catch the biggest fish or explore the hinterlands so far from my next quest object and its like, poo poo why is there not fast travel in this game. It's going to take like half an hour to get back to the trapper at this point. And half way you get distracted by climbing a distant bluff, and fehhh I'm done.

Probably the best most fun open world games I've played (other than skyrim which I will love forever) are Farcry Tribal, which is just so loving fun, and probably the only game in recent memory that I 100% completed, and Horizon Zero Dawn which blew me away with how loving good it was. Probably one of the best games I've played. I missed a few beast hunts in it because they were really tough and annoying, but otherwise you just complete all of it because all of it is so good.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Finger Prince posted:

goddamn this world is gorgeous, and withing a few hours I'm just trying to catch the biggest fish or explore the hinterlands so far from my next quest object and its like, poo poo why is there not fast travel in this game. It's going to take like half an hour to get back to the trapper at this point. And half way you get distracted by climbing a distant bluff, and fehhh I'm done.

This is why I like No Man's Sky, you see something cool you go do it, you can always call your ship down to get out when you get bored. Then you hop to another system and are on a completely different planet seconds later. You can setup portals as of I think the Summer (it was live when I played in July). Loading a planet from space is pretty laggy but other than that transition I couldn't find any performance issues.

If you haven't looked at No Mans Sky since release you should look again, they've released a ton of free content that really could have been 2-3 DLC expansions at $20 each and be worth it (if they didn't feel the need to apologize for the base game). I'm very much on board with them as devs that fix their poo poo and wouldn't have a problem pre-ordering something from them because of it. Solid track record.

sig by owlhawk911

Finger Prince

pixaal posted:

This is why I like No Man's Sky, you see something cool you go do it, you can always call your ship down to get out when you get bored. Then you hop to another system and are on a completely different planet seconds later. You can setup portals as of I think the Summer (it was live when I played in July). Loading a planet from space is pretty laggy but other than that transition I couldn't find any performance issues.

If you haven't looked at No Mans Sky since release you should look again, they've released a ton of free content that really could have been 2-3 DLC expansions at $20 each and be worth it (if they didn't feel the need to apologize for the base game). I'm very much on board with them as devs that fix their poo poo and wouldn't have a problem pre-ordering something from them because of it. Solid track record.

I liked it when it came out, even though it was really rough, and I really liked all the improvements. I still play it occasionally. I still don't really understand the objective, or if there even is an objective. I think you vaguely are supposed to head to the galactic core? But that's sort of the game. They put a vague objective for people to do if they are inclined, but in no way is the game built implying that you should do that. The only thing I find is that resource extraction is still tedious as heck, especially when it comes to building your base. The planetary buggies/hoverbikes/trucks seemed an unnecessary addition except you need them to break certain rocks to get special resources. And there's never enough storage space! You see a cool ship with loads of cargo space and check the price, and it's like holy crap how much rock am I going to have to grind just to afford that, just so I can store all the rock I ground? And I don't even know wtf to do with the convoy ships you can get. It's a good game and very chill, but I get frustrated with it after a while.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
gwent against real people is probably a completely different game because most of it in the witcher 3 revolves around figuring out ways to gently caress over the computer player without them realizing it

wearing a lampshade

food court bailiff posted:

they screwed with training since the last time i played, an animal needs "advanced" trainability to be able to learn to haul things, idk that i've actually seen an "advanced" trainable animal so far

you definitely can't do it with boars anymore which is the worst, they're always everywhere and having a few on random-hauling duty early on was usually key to letting colonists actually get real work done

Oh weird, maybe it's not a retroactive change since all my bears do haul, but my savegame is old.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

I don't think games should HAVE to be fun in any traditional sense, just engaging.
Much like any other medium there are games I've played which didn't necessarily allow me to have fun but were compelling in some way where traditional mechanics or entertainment wouldn't have worked.

Take Pathologic for example, it's a game that steeps you in misery, to the point that the gameplay is constantly about denying you the ability to achieve the same kind of catharsis or dopamine bump as other games. It's about a town ravaged with plague where people are dying, suffering, starving, homeless and worn down. Rich people sequester themselves in their homes and do nothing but engage in their own petty politics despite the situation.

If they adopted a traditional gameplay model, Pathologic's incredible ability to arrest you with its oppressive atmosphere wouldn't be nearly as potent. It is a game where you are habitually scavenging and barely surviving, you can't complete all your tasks because time is limited and you have to be careful on the streets at night lest someone rob and shank you in their desperation. You can get sick, you lose blood and in virtually every respect the game attempts to wear you down with its mechanics.

It enhances the game thematically to an absurd degree. From an artistic standpoint you feel the purpose of the game far more potently than most titles that try to be "oppressive" because it uses the tools of the medium to create a specific experience.
Interactivity can be a powerful tool to place you in situations where you can experience an abstracted form of some specific struggle. If Pathologic had been fun its attempt to translate and communicate that experience would have been heavily diluted and purely relegated to a textual and subtextual context rather than being bred into the bones of the gameplay itself.

A lot of people won't like it, but honestly I'm tired of the idea of what a game from a fundamental standpoint "has" to be becoming such a pervasive form of criticism that it completely ignores that it severely hamstrings and places inappropriate pressure on people with otherwise unique ideas and artistic desires to always create experiences strained through a lens of "fun."

It's as if every film needed to have action or comedy in order to hit an "entertaining" checkbox. It's like interrupting the glacial, eerily serene pacing of 2001 with a space battle just because otherwise it wouldn't be "fun" to watch. I wouldn't exactly call a book about World War I fun to read, but is it compelling and give me a unique perspective? Yes.

No one should have to play these games obviously. There should be no elitism about it, but similarly the disdain for games that attempt to divorce themselves from the limiting idea that games should always have to cater to a player's desire for wish fulfillment or escapism is also ridiculous.

It frustrated me to no end when people talked poo poo on "walking simulators" for "not being real games" despite the fact that their refusal to engage in the same mechanical constraints as other games allowed the developers to express themselves and create exactly the experience they wanted to.
These kinds of games should exist for people that want them, and there shouldn't be aggressive policing from people angry at the games for daring not to adhere to what they think games "should" be. The amount of people pissed off at games like Death Stranding or Gone Home, I mean really, legitimately pissed off for irrational reasons, is absurd. It's like there are people incensed that there are developers that have the gall to not adhere to their standards, even if they don't want anything to do with the game otherwise.

That kind of attitude just makes the medium boring, we should embrace people being daring or trying something against the grain even if we necessarily don't enjoy it ourselves. How many people spent words and words complaining about Disco Elysium or rating it poorly because they splitting hairs about whether it was an actual RPG or a glorified visual novel?

You have to take games on their own terms, criticizing or limiting them on the basis of what you WANT them to be as a rule is insane.

take the moon

by sebmojo
i rly liked Old City Leviathan fellow goon

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Finger Prince posted:

I absolutely love the rich, detailed, and beautiful worlds that Rockstar builds, like RDR 2, but I find actually playing them I just get bogged down in the minutae of sub quests, side quests, challenges, and accrual that they just get so boring after a while. Then I'll go back months later and start playing again and be like, goddamn this world is gorgeous, and withing a few hours I'm just trying to catch the biggest fish or explore the hinterlands so far from my next quest object and its like, poo poo why is there not fast travel in this game. It's going to take like half an hour to get back to the trapper at this point. And half way you get distracted by climbing a distant bluff, and fehhh I'm done.

Probably the best most fun open world games I've played (other than skyrim which I will love forever) are Farcry Tribal, which is just so loving fun, and probably the only game in recent memory that I 100% completed, and Horizon Zero Dawn which blew me away with how loving good it was. Probably one of the best games I've played. I missed a few beast hunts in it because they were really tough and annoying, but otherwise you just complete all of it because all of it is so good.

There's fast travel, but only to/from certain spots. At a point you can unlock a map in the main camp that'll let you travel to any city and I think every city has a stagecoach that can fast travel to another city. Similar deal with train stations, you can fast travel to any place the train goes to. If you just hop on the train, you have to actually wait for it to travel but if you buy a train ticket it zips you to wherever you bought the ticket to instantly.

That said, yeah, it still takes a long time to get around. The trapper is often pretty far from any fast travel points so getting to him will take a minute. Also a few times my horse would magically lose the pelts on his back when I fast traveled, so I recommend saving before you do it just in case.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

Oh yeah, you can also set a destination from your map and then hit whatever button turns on cinematic mode to auto travel there. At that point you basically tap A or X to set how fast you want your horse to go there. The problem with that is sometimes your horse will smash into someone on the road or some random dudes will try to murder you and if you, say, set a destination and then go pee in real life, you might have to abruptly run out of your bathroom and make a big mess in order to prevent Arthur's untimely demise.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Finger Prince

Yeah I totally get the stagecoach and train based fast travel from an immersion point of view, which is kind of the whole ethos of those games. I get it. It's just annoying. Even if you black screen and fast-forward the clock (even consuming resources like food and getting cold because you didn't pack your winter clothes) to get to previously visited waypoints, with a chance of random encounters interrupting you, that would help a lot.

Jolo

It's definitely a slow game, but I wanted to make sure you knew that you don't have to sit through the stagecoach or train ride and wait for it to travel. It instantly loads you to the destination point. By instant I mean you get a load screen but it's still much faster than traveling by horse most of the time. I originally thought that you had to physically ride the train and wait for the ride to finish.

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

It's definitely a slow game, but I wanted to make sure you knew that you don't have to sit through the stagecoach or train ride and wait for it to travel. It instantly loads you to the destination point. By instant I mean you get a load screen but it's still much faster than traveling by horse most of the time. I originally thought that you had to physically ride the train and wait for the ride to finish.

Haha, it's good slow though, but I can only take so much of that. I have actually ridden the train and stage for a whole journey just to see what it was like. Sometimes I'm like, yeah gently caress it, I've got time for a game or two of dominoes, and it's like a loving real-time game of dominoes which is like an entire day/night cycle in the game and now its morning and I was supposed to be hunting for nocturnal animals and I've been playing for hours and accomplished precisely jack poo poo both irl and in game.

Jolo

Finger Prince posted:

Haha, it's good slow though, but I can only take so much of that. I have actually ridden the train and stage for a whole journey just to see what it was like. Sometimes I'm like, yeah gently caress it, I've got time for a game or two of dominoes, and it's like a loving real-time game of dominoes which is like an entire day/night cycle in the game and now its morning and I was supposed to be hunting for nocturnal animals and I've been playing for hours and accomplished precisely jack poo poo both irl and in game.

I spent so much time hunting in that game. I went back and forth between really enjoying it and really hating how skittish the animals were.

One of the craziest things in that game is that there's a ton of different wild birds that are in the trees but I think I only saw one or two over the course of the entire game. There's a quest to collect several of them and I would look in trees with binoculars all the time and never see any. There's a level of detail in there that is hard to believe. They modeled and gave unique sounds for all of these birds and I saw like two in a hundred hours of the dang game. It's nutty.

Bobby Deluxe

Gone Fashing posted:

gwent against real people is probably a completely different game because most of it in the witcher 3 revolves around figuring out ways to gently caress over the computer player without them realizing it
spies and medics are best at this, because you put down 2 great units, the enemy assumes you are going in hard and puts down equally great units

then you steal them with spies, they concede the first round, and at the start of the next round you use your medic to bring your power units back from the discard pile

you can then get on with the real game of gwent which is 'how many fuckin points can i get in one round'

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You have to take games on their own terms, criticizing or limiting them on the basis of what you WANT them to be as a rule is insane.

i agree with this, and honestly everything. so i grew up with a nerd bro and we talk video games all the time, and a thing we settled on and agree on is that the question is not if videogames are art anymore, the question is that videogames are obviously art so why is there so little critical academic discussion? the difference between plays and movies and video games in the eyes of the public is mostly due to there are no actually respected video game reviewers who are widely know, but this has more to do with videogames becoming more prominent as traditional media is diffused.

i like roleplaying, when playing a tabletop. my buddy ben loves to min max and stunlock and abuse mechanics. we both have fun, with the same game, in different ways.

okay so stardew valley is so much fun has anyone kickstared summer in mara or whatever that wind waker/harvest moon game is called?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

ToxicFrog

pixaal posted:

I played it just after the NEXT update and there were the bones of a good and cool game in there, but I kept running into weird glitches (the tutorial telling me to do something that immediately aggroed a bunch of hostile robots that killed me instantly, enemies clipping into the ground and then attacking me from inside it, quest-giving ships teleporting to another star system in mid-sentence) and that plus the frankly godawful UI that has no consistency in which keys are used for what from one screen to the next completely killed it for me.

I'll probably try it again sometime this year and see if they've improved any of that, because I really want to like it and want to reward the devs for continuing to improve it, and also because it's probably the closest I'll ever get to being able to play Noctis V.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I don't think games should HAVE to be fun in any traditional sense, just engaging.
Much like any other medium there are games I've played which didn't necessarily allow me to have fun but were compelling in some way where traditional mechanics or entertainment wouldn't have worked.

:words:

A Good Post, thank you

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Bobby Deluxe posted:

spies and medics are best at this, because you put down 2 great units, the enemy assumes you are going in hard and puts down equally great units

then you steal them with spies, they concede the first round, and at the start of the next round you use your medic to bring your power units back from the discard pile

you can then get on with the real game of gwent which is 'how many fuckin points can i get in one round'

haha yeah i think theres even an achievement for getting like 200 or 250 or something. my personal record was somewhere around 180

take the moon

by sebmojo
so apparently the nvidea streaming hting is real now??? wanna get my stream on

Mummy Napkin
Just started playing shield and was so torn on what my uniform number should be

Heather Papps

hello friend

Mummy Napkin posted:

this owns. i need to get a switch at some point cause the new animal crossing looks rad, and botw2 or whatever is gonna have to be in my life

Mummy Napkin

Heather Papps posted:

this owns. i need to get a switch at some point cause the new animal crossing looks rad, and botw2 or whatever is gonna have to be in my life

You do. I went through a few years of "I don't really play games anymore cuz I'm old now whatevs" but my fiance bought a Switch and it's really been a treat.

Heather Papps

hello friend

my brother, being a very good bro and also having made good life choices keeps spending money on video game stuff.
when botw and then odyssey came out he just was like "here" and gave me his switch so i could beat them, but i never once played it out of the dock.

the pro controller is so good, and i like the 3ds size for on the run gaming, but i give in. his wife uses it to play while breastfeeding and it seems like that is a very common unadvertised usage?

regardless, i am still hammering away in stardew valley because it's one of the only games where i can do what i actually want to do in real life, which is build hives and wander in the forest and fish. also chickens and stuff. i bought a duckie, named it fluffy!

disco elysium: very depressing, to me specifically. hard to play thru.

i also finally sunk my toe into civ 5 and wow that poo poo is dangerous.

Bobby Deluxe

i have civ rev 2 on my phone and that is very much fun

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If it at all helps the last civ game to really suck me in was 4, both 5 and 6 I played 2-3 games of then never played again. First game I figure out what to do, try something else the next one and come to the conclusion that there aren't really any choices to be had and it's not that replayable of a 4x game.

So you wont be blowing 100+ hours with it, Civ 4 is the real danger if you make me install that and blow another 1000 hours I'm going to be very upset since I normally end up staying up until the sun comes up when that happens and it really messes my sleep up.

I am in no way saying Civ 5 and 6 are bad games, they are still really good games. They are just a step down from the insane quality of 4. They are very VERY much worth a game or two.

sig by owlhawk911

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

i can't wait for animal crossing ! :)

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobby Deluxe posted:

civ rev 2 on my phone

wait, what?

e: oh my god

Heather Papps

hello friend

The Clowner posted:

wait, what?

oh no

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Animal Crossing and the Half Life VR game both got me super hype for March

FutonForensic

playing animal crossing during the day to pose as a gentle BYOB gamer, then at night i huddle under the sheets with my tower PC and play Doom Eternal

Rockman Reserve

wait when did civ rev get a sequel

Yinlock

Mummy Napkin posted:

sword/shield is real good, sword gets like all the good exclusives but there's a ton of good pokemans in both games so :shrug:

i just finished shield myself

vanisher

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Bobby Deluxe

The Clowner posted:

wait, what?

i am so sorry

it doesnt even have mtx, you just pay for it and then play it as much as you want, which is always

Jolo

FutonForensic posted:

playing animal crossing during the day to pose as a gentle BYOB gamer, then at night i huddle under the sheets with my tower PC and play Doom Eternal

I'm replaying Doom 2016 right now and it's so fun. The only thing I don't like about it is that giving each rune you unlock a progression bar to unlock an improved version makes me play the game in a goofy way. I end up leveling each rune up and then switching to a different one to level up. I almost never end up playing using the upgraded versions of the runes because "there's other stuff to level up!"

Mummy Napkin

Yinlock posted:

sword/shield is real good, sword gets like all the good exclusives but there's a ton of good pokemans in both games so :shrug:

i just finished shield myself

I haven't played a pokemans since Black and the quality of life stuff is real nice. Some of the dynamax and wild area junk was a bit confusing at first. I chose Shield because I assumed most people got Sword for easy trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

pokemon aime was the best thing. i spent 20 years wanting to pat my charizards head, and i was able to transfer my shiny one from soul silver