Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Im not sure to what extent people are experiencing save corruption but i had an issue starting a chapter where I had lost all my previous upgrades but reloading chapter start fixed it and gave me my poo poo back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Base game is $20 and game with expansions is $30, if you've been on the fence

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
If you're wondering whether you should buy this game or not, you should it's real good. Its more like stalker-lite than the previous metro games but in my opinion that's a really good thing. The exploration is way better than the likes of fallout or the like in my opinion.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I liked the more linear structure of Metro: Last Light way more, reminded me of Half-Life 2. But it's still a game worth playing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I finished this game like a month ago but I'm still thinking about it sometimes.

Exodus is just really really good when you've played the prior metro games. Like it just is a great resolution to Artyom's journey (especially if you get the good ending). It's one of the most emotionally powerful endings I've seen in a game. And the two colonels dlc really helps affirm that.

I really wonder what they're doing with the second dlc. Is it just going to be a new area like the size of Volga/Caspian sea? Probably taking place after the end of the game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have been playing this again, I got a 2070 super a bit back and it's like a completely different looking game now. It looked pretty good before, but jeez. I can turn up all the options and still hit 60fps on 1440p. I guess we'll see if that holds up when I get to a big wide open area, but some of these wide shots of Moscow would be intensive, I would think. But anyway the DLSS mostly looks ok (I have been able to really spot it on transparent curved objects) and the ray traced lighting is good. It's not as impressive as control but still neat.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

New DLC is good. It's sometimes rough around the edges, like invisible walls or clipping, but comes again with charming characters and a nice environment (sunken city).

Steam re-release of the full game is Saturday the 15th too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’ve got my eye on the DLC and it’s good to hear it’s quality.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Kshatriya dlc was good as hell so I hope this lives up to it

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

New DLC does take a while to get going (it almost railroads you for nearly a hour) but it's opening up now and seems good so far.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t know why I don’t remember this but the way saves/options in this game work is loving insane.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

This game has finally hit steam and is on sale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The PS4 port of Sams story is completely hosed

Won’t even load for me now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wait never mind it was loading. Just took over 10 minutes to load good lord.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugh. Sorry for the multiple posts, but man, I think I screwed myself. Right after being let out into the wild, I fought that bat boss and pushed further. Now I am pushing further and further into this toxic gas cloud that never seems to end and I decided I would nope out of there and come back later since I can't scrounge up more than a minute of gas mask time. But after you open the gate and leave with the boat its closed when you go back, so I'm just stuck here and resources are dire and there are no filters lying around :wtf:

I've got one minute of filter time and I'm at this little grow house with no idea where to go next. poo poo.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been trying to play through the first two before I hit Exodus, and is chapter 3 in the non-redux version of 2033 intended to be fought through? It's the bit where your sleazebag buddy gets kidnapped, I've been banging my head on trying to survive a gunfight with the bandits for the past 3 hours and it is incredibly infuriating. It feels like fighting can't possibly be the intended solution, but my understanding is that every combat section in the original 2033 is 100% mandatory.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
I don't know but 2033 and Last Light Redux are 75% off on Steam if you're a PC gamer, (about £3.75 each) and well worth playing over the originals.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

After some tinkering I got the invincibility thingie working for 2033 (turns out there are multiple config files, and you hafta set them to read-only so steam cloud doesn't undo your thing), so I'm probably fine there, but I'll definitely see about grabbing Last Light Redux before diving in; thanks!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Last light redux doesn’t change much, only 2033 redux does since it copies improvements from the sequel back to the first game

That section might be stealthable in original 2033, maybe, but I’ve never been able to do it myself without having to kill everyone

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been trying to play through the first two before I hit Exodus, and is chapter 3 in the non-redux version of 2033 intended to be fought through? It's the bit where your sleazebag buddy gets kidnapped, I've been banging my head on trying to survive a gunfight with the bandits for the past 3 hours and it is incredibly infuriating. It feels like fighting can't possibly be the intended solution, but my understanding is that every combat section in the original 2033 is 100% mandatory.

If you’re trying to knock everybody out with the punch it’s not going to go well. They may have added it in 2033 Redux but since they kept everything else the same the game is still designed around using throwing knives and silenced weapons to keep stealthy. Trying to be completely non-lethal is going to be incredibly frustrating.

There’s also some parts later on where 2 different enemy types encounter each other and even if they’ve never seen you that will break your stealth as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sam's story was really good. The last combat section dragged a bit and was too long, but that's really my only major complaint outside of the crazy 10 minute PS4 loading times.

I felt like the game really wanted me to blow up the ship, but I thought the captains plan was unreasonable and didn't understand why the captain even bothered to get the fuel cells in the first place. I didn't blow it up. Especially after Tom is confirmed to be an alright dude. Also I'm not sure how they saved Sam if the captain had them all locked in a room

I'll probably save scum it today to watch the other ending. Also I never figured out where the safe for the only side mission was despite combing the map pretty hard. Weird. Kind of annoying how the game just sort of railroads you after a certain point. I had to reload an old save at one point because I realized it was just pushing me down the critical path before I got the chance to explore anything.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I picked up both DLCs since they are on sale on Steam and am plugging through the first atm. Pretty good so far.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The only thing I’ve found frustrating about the Colonels DLC is that this dumb chucklefuck does this for a living and doesn’t even have a flashlight.

Like, yeah, I get that the flamethrower is nature’s flashlight but I’d still like to have both. That little pilot light on the thing is about as strong as Artyom’s lighter and I’m not always setting things on fire so

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I don’t remember the original 2033 bourbon kidnapped encounter well enough to know if you can stealth it fully, but I do know you can silently kill a couple guards and get to the next door which then sets off another, shorter fight I think.

Killing someone with the throwing knife is definitely more of a crap shoot in non redux.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I’m not always setting things on fire so

There’s your problem

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 17, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can definitely fully stealth the bourbon rescue in the original. I played the hell out of the original and did it a few times. But it involves a lot of killing and knife throwing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In retrospect, I think the intended solution was probably to sneak to the door without being seen to trigger the cutscene. Since the last time I felt like I hit a wall was right at the start of the game, when I tried stealthing past the initial bandits only to learn that clearing them out was mandatory, I ended up pretty much going guns blazing and just running in a circle for half an hour (to keep anyone from running up behind me), and pinging dudes when I got the chance. It was ridiculous, but it worked well enough.

Also, holy crap 2033 is pretty. If it weren't for the stiff & janky NPCs, you could convince me it was something from the last 2-3 years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I was replaying them recently I thought the graphics in 2033 held up slightly better than Last Light which was weird. Only with certain parts though, some of the outdoor stuff in LL looks kind of rough now. Also, I was surprised to find that I liked 2033 just as much as LL, when my memory of LL was that it was a much better game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

In retrospect, I think the intended solution was probably to sneak to the door without being seen to trigger the cutscene. Since the last time I felt like I hit a wall was right at the start of the game, when I tried stealthing past the initial bandits only to learn that clearing them out was mandatory, I ended up pretty much going guns blazing and just running in a circle for half an hour (to keep anyone from running up behind me), and pinging dudes when I got the chance. It was ridiculous, but it worked well enough.

Also, holy crap 2033 is pretty. If it weren't for the stiff & janky NPCs, you could convince me it was something from the last 2-3 years.

I think if you want to stealth 2033 at all reasonably you need to be killing dudes, that’s all there is to it. The karma points almost all come from stuff like exploration (finding hidden caches and bodies), finding but not shooting at the moments you can see the dark ones, or helping beggars in friendly stations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

When I was replaying them recently I thought the graphics in 2033 held up slightly better than Last Light which was weird. Only with certain parts though, some of the outdoor stuff in LL looks kind of rough now. Also, I was surprised to find that I liked 2033 just as much as LL, when my memory of LL was that it was a much better game.

I think with the qol updates of redux 2033 is a better game honestly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Original last light is definitely a better videogame to play than original 2033, but I greatly prefer 2033's general themes and story. I really enjoyed 2033's main antagonist just being nature as well as human nature, where your perceived enemies aren't really enemies at all and the final stretch of the game is a solitary desperate climb, compared to last light's introduction of a heavy-handed mustache-twirling villain and a michael bay scene of an ending (also the dark one narrating everything you do in the last few levels grated on me). khan's appearances in each game really frame their differences: he bookends the most surreal/mystical parts of each game but in 2033 his level is solemn and subdued while last light's is very in your face and exaggerated

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy poo poo, finishing original 2033 and immediately starting last light is like night & day. I'm not usually an FPS guy, but it honestly amazes me that people finished 2033- both the turret and library bits probably would've chased me off if I couldn't turn invincibility on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus christ this game is pretty. I'm a few hours in and i'm loving it.

Going to definitely come back when I build my next PC and crank everything up to ultra with RTX. I'm not usually a graphics carer but my god its nice.

E: Also its such a shame they took the epic deal and seemed to have crushed the wider interest in this game. Its really good.

E2: We should change the title to "all aboard steam users" or something

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I think the game did well sales wise though. Also interesting enough the Steam reviews were not bombed (though they did that with LL iirc when the epic deal was made public last year) which is good since the game is good.

I think the series would not be as popular without the tech. 2033 was pretty bad as a FPS having only very rudimentary stealth and survival and soapy FPS combat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It had tons of atmosphere, which made me not care that the shooting was a bit floaty

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy poo poo, finishing original 2033 and immediately starting last light is like night & day. I'm not usually an FPS guy, but it honestly amazes me that people finished 2033- both the turret and library bits probably would've chased me off if I couldn't turn invincibility on.

You kept pissing off the Librarians didn’t you.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

You kept pissing off the Librarians didn’t you.

I mean, be quiet, you’re in a library, geez

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My first time through the library I gave up sneaking and just hauled rear end in random directions and luckily made it before any of them could actually maul me

I've been playing through Exodus on Game Pass but I actually don't like it being open world. I preferred the linear style or smaller tighter level in that one LL dlc. It feels kind of aimless most of the time.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 19, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
To be fair the Librarians would occasionally bug out and just murder you for doing nothing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does Sam's DLC add any new weapons? I know there's a M1911 that features in the promotional materials, anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Does Sam's DLC add any new weapons? I know there's a M1911 that features in the promotional materials, anything else?

I just started it but yeah you get a 1911 handgun (describes by a Russian dude as “the real McCoy”) and then a weird carbine that I guess is supposed to be something like an AR15 but bastardized (Sam even acknowledges the fact that the rifle doesn’t look right and the NPCs mention that they had to modify them).

I’m not sure if there’s anything else that’s new in the DLC weapon-wise but there are definitely at least two new weapons.