Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZearothK posted:

I wonder if this Julia conversation will advance the plot or if it is just a convenient way to recap.

Wanna know how I know you're not a bard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Re: TvTropes

I'm another immigrant from there and honestly all the horror stories about awful tropes and awful tropers I hear here surprise me probably more than they did you guys over here. It seems to be a function of digging into the deepest darkest corners of the site, rather than anything representative of everyone there. I mean, SA just recently had the whole FYAD scandal ourselves, didn't we? A big enough forum or wiki will always have functionally multiple distinct communities that rarely interact. And sometimes those isolated pockets are awful.

Re: The Comic

The punchline left me wondering for a half-a-second if this was just Eugene pretending to be Julia through some kind of illusion or something.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Clarste posted:

Re: TvTropes

I'm another immigrant from there and honestly all the horror stories about awful tropes and awful tropers I hear here surprise me probably more than they did you guys over here. It seems to be a function of digging into the deepest darkest corners of the site, rather than anything representative of everyone there. I mean, SA just recently had the whole FYAD scandal ourselves, didn't we? A big enough forum or wiki will always have functionally multiple distinct communities that rarely interact. And sometimes those isolated pockets are awful.

Re: The Comic

The punchline left me wondering for a half-a-second if this was just Eugene pretending to be Julia through some kind of illusion or something.

The illusion is called passing on your genes and values

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

blizzardvizard posted:

If there are any benefits while the Oath is still ongoing we probably would've known about it already, so Rich actually plans for Roy (and maybe Julia too) to get anything out of it, it would be after Xykon is defeated. Maybe it'd be some sort of climatic power-up before the Order go on to deal with the Snarl.

Imagine if the punchline was that the Blood Oath was actually already fulfilled by Roy slaying Xykon at the beginning of the comic, and Eugene’s still been waiting in front of the entrance because he didn’t bother to just ask the celestial bureaucracy... who, in turn, forgot to check the wording of his oath to realize that Roy fulfilled the letter of the oath (though not the spirit of it), to explain why Roy and Julia are still technically bound by it.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Regalingualius posted:

Imagine if the punchline was that the Blood Oath was actually already fulfilled by Roy slaying Xykon at the beginning of the comic, and Eugene’s still been waiting in front of the entrance because he didn’t bother to just ask the celestial bureaucracy... who, in turn, forgot to check the wording of his oath to realize that Roy fulfilled the letter of the oath (though not the spirit of it), to explain why Roy and Julia are still technically bound by it.

I'm fairly certain the Blood Oath centers around destroying Xykon, and you don't destroy a lich just by making it retreat into its phylactery.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

oobey posted:

I'm fairly certain the Blood Oath centers around destroying Xykon, and you don't destroy a lich just by making it retreat into its phylactery.

God I'm so tempted to go home and read my monster manual entry and see the exact wording like a pedantic piece of human offal.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Clarste posted:

I mean, SA just recently had the whole FYAD scandal ourselves, didn't we?

I still have no loving idea what the hell happened to FYAD. Most of my interactions with FYAD posters were in the 2013 E/N Feminism thread which they took under their wing and actively protected from trolls via mocking the ever-loving poo poo out of them. Ruddha's posts there remain some of the funniest poo poo I've ever read on this website. HowHighTheMoon, the thread's OP, was one of the most informative posters on Something Awful, and she was also a FYAD regular. When did FYAD disappear up its own rear end? The FYAD that got rightfully taken out the back and shot reminded me more of the poo poo they used to mock than anything else.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I just noticed that FYAD is gone. Boy I'm loving unobservant.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my dad posted:

I still have no loving idea what the hell happened to FYAD. Most of my interactions with FYAD posters were in the 2013 E/N Feminism thread which they took under their wing and actively protected from trolls via mocking the ever-loving poo poo out of them. Ruddha's posts there remain some of the funniest poo poo I've ever read on this website. HowHighTheMoon, the thread's OP, was one of the most informative posters on Something Awful, and she was also a FYAD regular. When did FYAD disappear up its own rear end? The FYAD that got rightfully taken out the back and shot reminded me more of the poo poo they used to mock than anything else.

I think we've found a worse derail than Goblins

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What was FYAD's alignment?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Colonel Cool posted:

A kazoo playing a single note until the end of time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I sure hope Rich is OK.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Colonel Cool posted:

:smug: Chaotic Neutral :smug:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

FYAD’s alignment is alignment discussions

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

ultrafilter posted:

I sure hope Rich is OK.

rich will be okay on monday, it seems

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

blastron posted:

FYAD’s alignment is alignment discussions
:hmmyes:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ultrafilter posted:

I sure hope Rich is OK.

I heard he needs a new spine.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sub-Boss Zyklon lookingg good!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I'd rather have my cartoons than your forums back, rich

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I want the forums back, there's a good effortpost there about tiers of classes in 3.X which is helpful for making sure your groups have a balanced party. As in, all the players are similar levels of power so that they can all contribute and the DM doesn't have to put out challenges that too hard for the weaker ones in order to threaten the strong ones.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Still laughing about the Truenamer being mathematically broken, after all these years

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Daikloktos posted:

Still laughing about the Truenamer being mathematically broken, after all these years
It's not even like it gets problematic at high levels in unexpected ways, the scaling for the checks just straight up does not scale at a reasonable level compared to how characters level up.

I remember when I only had enough money for one of Libris Mortis and Magic of Incarnum. Guess which one I bought. :doh:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Poor truenamer. It wasn't even a particularly good class if did work, at best you'd be a bad caster who had access to like four spells at will, or a weird gimmick like the bag gnome.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Why were splat classes pure garbage or pure munchkin with no in between?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ikanreed posted:

Most base classes were actually pretty in-between and a hell of a lot better balanced than the core classes. Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum, PHB2, Races of the Dragon, Dungeonscape etc give you a bunch of mechanically solid classes that we usually used in place of the core classes way back when I played 3.5.

Obviously there were outliers like the Truenamer, but even the other two classes in Tome of Magic were solidly mid-tier with one (the Binder) being one of my favorite 3.5 classes.

And with the possible exception of the Archivist (who was just a wizard with divine spells) and the Artificier (who was ridiculous) they never really made any class that could rival Wizard/Cleric/Druid

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 25, 2020

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It was a bad game.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

Core classes included both Fighter and Wizard, so.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Very few classes/features took into consideration other classes/features which meant that to some degree powe relative power could change depending on what books were available. Also the nature of the group.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also people tended to judge new classes power relative to the core class equivalents. Since Wizard and Fighter were both broken garbage in opposing ways it meant any actual balanced spellcasting class was deemed too weak and useless and any fighting class that could actually do stuff was mocked as OP anime BS.

D&D is bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Half of it is that 3.x ed was bad, but the other half was that the OGL meant that any joe with a printer could just publish a source book.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Schwarzwald posted:

Half of it is that 3.x ed was bad, but the other half was that the OGL meant that any joe with a printer could just publish a source book.

Nah, these Garbo machines were all Wizards official offal.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

New comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1193.html

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kinda odd to see that being a conversation stopper, but here we are.

I'm curious to see what Julia has to say.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might be neat hearing what the attack plan is for now, and whether they're incorporating a way to negotiate with Redcloak in there.

Whatever defenses Xykon throws up may throw them off course, but even if they don't, the mysterious invisible folk, cloaked demons, and whatever is actually inside the rifts will wind up throwing the entire attack plan out the window anyways.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
What a convenient opportunity to explain the characters and the plot to someone who might start reading the comic here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IMJack posted:

What a convenient opportunity to explain the characters and the plot to someone who might start reading the comic here.
At least it's going to advance the plot at the same time. Rich has been good about that.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I had to go back and check, and indeed, Julia never encountered Belkar in Cliffport. He was running around getting the Linear Guild's kobolds murdered while Julia was with Roy and Durkon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Alright. I have to ask.

Is she wearing a towel?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Honestly kinda thought the same and wondered if she'd somehow gone to the empire of sweat. But she's still in school so that's unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

ikanreed posted:

Alright. I have to ask.

Is she wearing a towel?

I'm fairly sure it's a skirt, but I've been seeing it as a towel the whole time too. Glad it's not just me.