Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Pleads posted:

PBR 2020 was a raging success of wonton self indulgence and relatively competitive hockey.

Plz post your fav memories.

having a 3 million dollar house and a private chef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

PBR 2020 was a raging success of wonton self indulgence and relatively competitive hockey.

Plz post your fav memories.

Having a media crew recording our games, complete with aerial footage is top tier.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Bradf0rd posted:

Having a media crew recording our games, complete with aerial footage is top tier.

:whatup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCUs_RBqTdQ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks infinitely better than the Eagle River this year. They couldn't do it on the lake because they got too much snow and the ice never froze properly. So they moved it into town where they built rinks on the race track.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

neat

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

we’ve done eagle river in this thread, it’s how bewbies and I first met.

It sucks and is the absolute worst tournament, absolutely fitting that it is the USA Hockey branded one.

The local adult league contact hockey and rink in a wooden dome is cool as gently caress though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

3 favorite memories

- taking the la team who are some of the lowest skilled skaters back from a 6 goal first half deficit to tie some team who i think may have gotten real sour about it despite being in the division where there are no playoffs lol

- importing easily the best selection of tequila and mezcal in the state and opening a tasting in my private apartment attached to the rest of the house, sipping with my friends with a good fireplace and solid playlist on the sonos (i stand by skipping clumsy)

- seeing my pals from this thread grow to 8 and realize that i've skated with some of them for almost 10 years at various events like these

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Sellouts I think my low level team is going to do PlayLA and one of the Arizona tournaments this year, come be our ringer, we'll get you a fake mustache and everything.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

sellouts posted:

- importing easily the best selection of tequila and mezcal in the state and opening a tasting in my private apartment attached to the rest of the house, sipping with my friends with a good fireplace and solid playlist on the sonos (i stand by skipping clumsy)

#LittleDeath

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We need a hockey goon meet with all the folks.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
We met a dog

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Those jerseys would look hot AF with red pants.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Those jerseys would look hot AF with red pants.

The three of us who designed these thought about getting shells as well, but the rest of the team was skeptical of our designs before the reveal on Thursday night. Shells would've been a real hard sell.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
When was this? (or is this right now for the PBR tournament?)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Sellouts I think my low level team is going to do PlayLA and one of the Arizona tournaments this year, come be our ringer, we'll get you a fake mustache and everything.

hey, thanks but no thanks, man. I love the LA Blades and played against them for years in a league, but neither locale interests me and playing with strangers is very far from my thing nowadays unless its your team from Bay Harbor and I know them?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

the photos are from this weekend, the tournament ended on Sunday afternoon.

Verman posted:

People say this, and no offense, but no one does anything about it but me. I coordinate, plan, schedule, budget, reserve, deposit, etc. Discuss and try to get a consensus amongst the group for big expenses. It's a lot of work. Every year we expand it a little because I also care the most about the vibe of the whole thing and gauging personalities and talking with the others takes time. But, there's also a reason why everyone is invited back every time.

I've also taken on a second, local team which overall was cool and I liked playing 8 games instead of 5 but also definitely hard and showed that their vibe was cool, our vibe was cool, but not every person can fit in with every team.

I guess what I'm saying is take the reigns and put one together! I'm down to offer any tips. But a random meetup with a bunch of complete strangers is probably gonna suck.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 18, 2020

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
actually, it is i that does all of the legwork for these hockey events

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bewbies posted:

actually, it is i that does all of the legwork for these hockey events

emphasis on the 'hockey" part of that sentence

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bewbies is the shadow council

He just never tells anyone his plans.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

sellouts posted:

People say this, and no offense, but no one does anything about it but me. I coordinate, plan, schedule, budget, reserve, deposit, etc. Discuss and try to get a consensus amongst the group for big expenses. It's a lot of work. Every year we expand it a little because I also care the most about the vibe of the whole thing and gauging personalities and talking with the others takes time. But, there's also a reason why everyone is invited back every time.

I've also taken on a second, local team which overall was cool and I liked playing 8 games instead of 5 but also definitely hard and showed that their vibe was cool, our vibe was cool, but not every person can fit in with every team.

"Aww, you motherfuckers. Okay. Alright. I'm putting all you bitches on Pond Teams. Huh. You think you can do this poo poo... You think you can do this? You motherfuckers will be playing in Timbits League when I get finished with you. STICK TIME, you skeet. 23 hour zam watching. I'm the man up in this pond. You'll never see the light of... who the gently caress do you think you're loving with? I'm the big jib draw and all that, I run poo poo around here. You just live here. Yeah, that's right, you better skate away. Go on and skate away... 'cause I'm gonna' burn this motherfucker down. King Kong ain't got poo poo on me. You’ll have all hands right rotted. So be careful boy, I’ll park ya broad side the boards. If it’s all hands you want, it’s all hands you’ll get."

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

none of you pheasants know where to get bread dinner without me

knows than, knows

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 19, 2020

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bradf0rd posted:

The three of us who designed these thought about getting shells as well, but the rest of the team was skeptical of our designs before the reveal on Thursday night. Shells would've been a real hard sell.

Look good, feel good, play good. We've convinced almost our entire team to get a shell that match our jerseys. Looks pretty swank.

I would love to do a goon meet tournament but most of you guys are west coast. Airlines might charge me extra to fly my stinky equipment.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

hey, thanks but no thanks, man. I love the LA Blades and played against them for years in a league, but neither locale interests me and playing with strangers is very far from my thing nowadays unless its your team from Bay Harbor and I know them?

It’s mostly the bay harbor team plus some of the usc alumni woman’s team.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Buying hockey gear in mid-February as a 6'7" dude is hard but I found some 15" gloves, shinnies, and a stick that's getting a plug put in it this afternoon. Progress! They didn't ANY size 10.5 or 11 skates in the entire shop so I'll live with my freebie size 12s for now I guess. "Wear thick socks, Gordon."

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
The captain (who is the goalie) sent out lines for the next game, which I can't make. In them, he has himself listed as "backup" with a guy who has covered for us a few times as the goalie. I asked him and he said something about how he just wants to ice the best possible lineup. He's literally going to be there, but not play.

We went up a division this season and overall it's much tougher. The team decided to stick it out after losing the first two games 8 to something when the rink asked if we wanted to go back to the lower division. I was all for staying, but if literally the guy who put the team together is scratching himself to be more competitive, I'm not really into it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

No it means you're bad at tying knots.

Double knot them if you need to.

Ok yeah it was this. Tied the final knot and bow tighter, helped a lot.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

scuz posted:

They didn't ANY size 10.5 or 11 skates in the entire shop so I'll live with my freebie size 12s for now I guess. "Wear thick socks, Gordon."

What skate brand? I have a pair of Bauer S170 that are size 11, if you are interested. PM or send me an email, which is my username at gmail. I can send along a picture. Also, have a few back up sets of steels I can sharpen at either 1/2 or 5/8 with my Sparx.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:eyepop: PM sent!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Despite appearances, there's is actually only one Goon pictured here.

The snow game owned; i recommend that tourney to everyone here

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The Sunday snow game was extremely dope, and made better by the tryhard team playing after us helping to shovel snow so they could warm up earlier.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

The Sunday snow game was extremely dope, and made better by the tryhard team playing after us helping to shovel snow so they could warm up earlier.

I enjoyed stick handling being impossible. Brought everyone down to my level.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
SAUCER PASS IS KING

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just once I'd like to get some air under the puck when it matters, not when loving around during warmups.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

Just once I'd like to get some air under the puck when it matters, not when loving around during warmups.

I don’t know if it matters in your case but the more I focus on shoving my stick blade into the ice in front of the puck, the more air I get because my stick is actually flexing and I’m not just shoveling the puck along.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's mostly a pressure thing. I crumble like an old cookie when I'm slightly off balance or against the boards or someone's closing the gap.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

it is the only pond tournament worth going to imo and the sunday game was extremely cool

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Since my hockey team is lame and hates doing bonus things, I just now learned about a pond hockey tournament in New Hampshire that barstool is putting on. Could’ve pretended to be as cool as you all with a pond hockey team.

I know there’s at least one goon in the area who plays, maybe we could make a team next time if they do this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Had a weird incident in a game last night. I was carrying the puck over the blue line and wide towards the boards into their zone. I chip it forward as their guy approaches me to create a bit more space. As I go for the loose puck, he's behind me poking for the puck. I stick lift his stick out of the way. I protect the puck and he stick lifts me from behind but gets a good hook on it and pulls it back towards him which ends up behind me. I keep trying to get to the puck despite whats going on with my stick. I try to pull my stick back and he starts losing his poo poo. He gives me the ole "gently caress you you loving gently caress, control your loving stick". Next, he's wearing a visor pushed all the way up on his helmet in mid level beer league hockey. Even though he stick lifted my stick into his face, I should have complete control of my stick. I'll give him that. I give him a "Sorry bud". He keeps hollering at me. I just keep playing as there was no whistle. If I got called, I would have understood.

A few moments later (same shift) I circle around to go for a loose puck. We're both turning towards one another and he sticks his knee out at me which I avoided. As the puck moves to other end of the zone, I skate that direction and he approaches me with two hands on his stick like a samurai sword, intentionally tries to slash me across the loving throat with the blade of his stick Kill Bill style. Luckily I saw him coming at me and started back skating. The ref blows the whistle instantly and sends him to the box for unsportsmanlike. The guy starts crying about how he got highsticked and the ref laughs at him and explains what he saw regarding the two hand slash.

After the kneeing attempt, I knew he was going to be a mental case so I was looking out for him. When I saw him skating towards me completely ignoring the play, I knew he was going to do something stupid.

Later in the game he seemed to relax a bit but he was chasing a puck around the boards with one of my defensemen behind our net. I got to the puck first from the other side of the net, protected it against the boards, and see this kid coming full speed with his head down. At this point I know he doesn't see me. I pass the puck up the boards back in his direction past him and my defenseman and clinch because I'm about to get hit, he looks up at the last second and goes down hard on his rear end. He was pretty pissed. The ref tells him to keep his head up next time.

Weird game. Weird dude. Thankfully we had two of my favorite refs who I really trust to call a good game.