Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gonna finally push and get this video essay on Suicide Squad that's been haunting my disk for years now finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Jedit posted:

The Return of the Southern Cut.

I feel I know this reference.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

josh04 posted:

Gonna finally push and get this video essay on Suicide Squad that's been haunting my disk for years now finished.

Hell yeah

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

I feel I know this reference.

Back in the 40s and before, a lot of theatres in the American South wouldn't show movies with black actors in. Studios thus shot scenes with blacks in such a way that they could be easily edited out, which was often referred to as "the Southern cut". Disney are now doing it again with gays, first in Rise of Skywalker and now in Eternals.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Guy A. Person posted:

I’m probably gonna go this or next week, all of the people I go to comic book movies were at a wedding for one of us that threw things off for the past few weeks.

But yea there’s any number of reasons it’s underperforming: releasing it in February, the R rating, the marketing, it being a loose Suicide Squad sequel with only one of the characters (so people who hated SS won’t see it and people who liked it have less reason if Quinn wasn’t their favorite part), etc. It’s probably a mix and not one thing.

Hey man, nobody that watched Suicide Squad walked away with Harley as their favourite character.

:kimchi:

josh04 posted:

:yeah:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

wyoming posted:

Hey man, nobody that watched Suicide Squad walked away with Harley as their favourite character.

He probably contributed to their Oscar win. It was great prosthetics work.

Hearing all the talk about BoP being unconnected to Suicide Squad, I was pleasantly surprised to see the movie reference it several times, including using parts of actual Harley scenes from the movie.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Which is the better film? The 2003 hulk or the 2008 one?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

JollyBoyJohn posted:

2003 for sure. It falls apart at the end but ang lee and bana put in work

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

2003 Hulk is the superior film, but when I did my MCU rewatch leading up to Endgame, I 100% enjoyed 2008 Hulk. It's a fair bit more heady than current MCU fare; there's not too many snappy one-liners/quips/jokes/etc. Norton is also a way better Banner than Ruffalo imo. Its final act suffers a lot from a terrible CGI monster fight, but otherwise it's decent. I remember saying MCU Hulk was just as good as Captain Marvel, but I rewatched Captain Marvel a handful of weeks ago, and I take it back. The Incredible Hulk is a much better movie than most MCU films released in last 5 years or so, easily.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

teacup posted:

2003 for sure. It falls apart at the end but ang lee and bana put in work

Nobody likes Hulk when he's Ang Lee.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jedit posted:

:golfclap:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

teagone posted:

when I did my MCU rewatch leading up to Endgame

lol I'm sorry for your loss.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

2003 Hulk is better than most superhero movies for sheer ambition alone, but also because it has Nick Nolte ranting about spitting in the face of God before muching down on a power cable. Even when it doesn't work, it's still massively entertaining.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Jedit posted:

Beautiful

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol I'm sorry for your loss.

I documented that journey in this thread and ended up with this tier list:

TOP TIER (MCU's best)
1. Winter Soldier
2. Dr. Strange
3. First Avenger
4. Iron Man Trilogy/Incredible Hulk (tie)
5. GOTG/Thor 3 (tie)

MID TIER (These are whatever)
Everything else

BOTTOM TIER (Dogshit)
Avengers 1 & 2
Ant-Man 2
GOTG 2
Thor 2

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've only just got round to watching Avengers 2 and i thoroughly enjoyed it

I'm way out of sync though, I've only seen Iron Man 1, Avengers 1+2 and captain America 1

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Ant Man 2 is not dogshit. It's got more heart and charm than any of the other MCU films. Even the baddie has some character and motive. Sure it's small scale but it's genuine.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

teagone posted:

TOP TIER (MCU's best)
1. Winter Soldier
2. Dr. Strange
3. First Avenger
5. GOTG/Thor 3 (tie)

Everything else

BOTTOM TIER (Dogshit)
Avengers 1 & 2
Ant-Man 2
GOTG 2
Thor 2

Why the hate for GOTG 2?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GoTG 2 is like a cheap imitation of the 1st and a lot of the jokes fall flat on their face. Plus it has like -- 3 locations? It's boring.

It's only saved by the ending with the funeral scene.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sloth Life posted:

Ant Man 2 is not dogshit. It's got more heart and charm than any of the other MCU films. Even the baddie has some character and motive. Sure it's small scale but it's genuine.

I genuinely loved the part where the suit malfunctions and he turns into the useless medium size where he's too small to fight or reach stuff but too big to be stealthy and sneak around.

Vintersorg posted:

GoTG 2 is like a cheap imitation of the 1st and a lot of the jokes fall flat on their face. Plus it has like -- 3 locations? It's boring.

It's only saved by the ending with the funeral scene.

I did like that it it was an entire movie that says, very brazenly, that toxic dudes are literally a civilization destroying cancer. And the way they paralleled what he did to Quill's mom with the long term repercussions on earth vs. how Quill just assumed his dad was an angel since GotG1.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 20, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

teagone posted:

TOP TIER (MCU's best)
1. Winter Soldier
2. Dr. Strange
3. First Avenger
5. GOTG/Thor 3 (tie)

Everything else

BOTTOM TIER (Dogshit)
Avengers 1 & 2
Ant-Man 2
GOTG 2
Thor 2

lmao at copy/paste Iron Man, I mean Dr. Strange, at #2. And what's with four movies being ranked #4. That's not how lists work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jose Oquendo posted:

lmao at copy/paste Iron Man, I mean Dr. Strange, at #2. And what's with four movies being ranked #4. That's not how lists work.

But it can definitely be how tiers work. :D

Copy/pasting Iron Man is fine, three movies in a row where Tony Stark learns A Very Important Lesson about arms manufacturing and has to confront an "evil" version(s) of his amor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Neo Rasa posted:

But it can definitely be how tiers work. :D

Copy/pasting Iron Man is fine, three movies in a row where Tony Stark learns A Very Important Lesson about arms manufacturing and has to confront an "evil" version(s) of his amor.

Iron Man 2 is really loving bad and ranking it as equal to the first one (which is a pretty solid flick) is weird.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

For people that mostly hate MCU movies you sure have a lot to say about some rando persons list.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Iron Man 2 is really loving bad and ranking it as equal to the first one (which is a pretty solid flick) is weird.

Iron Man 2 is definitely the weakest MCU movie. Strange is better than it's painted, though - it may be a touch formulaic, but it has good humour, great effects and an interesting resolution.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

Yes. Yes. Yes!!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedit posted:

Iron Man 2 is definitely the weakest MCU movie. Strange is better than it's painted, though - it may be a touch formulaic, but it has good humour, great effects and an interesting resolution.

Thor 2 is so forgettable that people wont even bring it up in conversations like this. It's like that joke about not even showing up to the Laziness Competition, in movie form.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Thor 2 is so forgettable that people wont even bring it up in conversations like this. It's like that joke about not even showing up to the Laziness Competition, in movie form.

Thor 2 at least has the Asgard setting and Eccelston is better than Rourke. Which isn't much but still it's enough to give it the edge over Iron Man 2.

Honestly though the more these movies age the more I think Civil War is the worst of them all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked Thor 2, it was pleasant with good jokes and I got loaded on mojitos with friends watching it

I haven't watched them so either Hulk (I forgot this movie even existed), Spider-mans, Doctor Cumberbatch, or Black Panther is the worst

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

WOO YEAH!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

Yeah Strange is good, but they should've just let Cumberbatch use his accent, like who cares (like did we that badly need another sardonic American dude with a goatee?).

Iron Man 2 sucked at the time but turned out to not even be the worst offender for shoe-horned in studio meddling and still did have some interesting stuff and some heart, so across the entire MCU it's ended up being mid-tier. Probably honestly the same with Incredible Hulk tho I still have no actual desire to go back and double check.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Invalid Validation posted:

For people that mostly hate MCU movies you sure have a lot to say about some rando persons list.

How dare we discuss things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

I don't hate the MCU I actually own a bunch of them. But when you make 20+ films there are bound to be some stinkers in there.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

After seeing what passes for a good fight scene in the rest of the MCU, Iron Man 2 gets a lot more slack from me than it used to. When it comes to action scenes, I think Winter Soldier is the only competition for Iron Man 2 in the entire 20+ movie MCU.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Basebf555 posted:

I don't hate the MCU I actually own a bunch of them. But when you make 20+ films there are bound to be some stinkers in there.

Yeah its amazing they managed one good James bond film

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah its amazing they managed one good James bond film

I still really hope that every new James Bond film will finally end in a Metal Gear fight.

That certainly would have been better than the climax of Spectre, but literally anything else probably would have been.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

2003 by far. 2008 ends with the Hulk fighting a pink Hulk. 2003 ends with the Hulk wrestling a mountain that is also Nick Nolte

Violator
May 15, 2003

teagone posted:

Norton is also a way better Banner than Ruffalo imo.

Agree. I've always been super disappointed that the extent of Ruffalo's internal struggle with the Hulk is him wringing his hands together. It's like super duper "what's the most basic thing I can do to show internal conflict" that he could have possibly done and it's all he does in every scene. *wringes hands together stupidly*

I thought it was interesting that Norton wanted to take that character on and I thought he did a good enough job with it.

I've also thought the 2008 movie was interesting because it has men who so desire their masculinity be enhanced that they give up all semblance of humanity. "Give me the super steroids so that I have the biggest muscles! Bigger than the other man that I don't like! I don't care if I'm ugly and deformed, lose all ability to have a normal human life, lose my genitals, and lose my capability for clear thinking! I want BIG MUSCLES!" I don't know why in particular the 2008 Hulk movie stuck with me about that, maybe it's the most clear example of it in recent comic book movies?

Edit: There's the obvious connection to modern bodybuilding where guys like Rich Piano pump themselves so full of drugs and oil that their hearts explode. Literally killing themselves to be bigger than the next guy door.

Violator fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 20, 2020

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Probably the biggest crime of the MCU is that they just can't think of anything to do with the Ruffdog. You land him as an actor and somehow think "yeah he probably can't carry a movie about a tortured, brilliant loner by himself". loving idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a tier list. You can have multiple entries in the same tier. Think of the numbers like SSS, SS+, SS, S+, S ranks if that makes categorizing the "top tier" easier for you. And Doctor Strange has some legitimately good set pieces and production design compared to most MCU films. As derivative as it might be (you can argue almost all MCU movies share Iron Man's general structure), it's also the best directed movie to come out of Phase 3 imo.

When I did my MCU rewatch, I enjoyed Iron Man 2 about as much as I did the first Iron Man, same as the third. Iron Man 2 has some really solid action beats, and it's arguably one of the best—if not the best—looking MCU movies.