Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stores and stuff being 24 hours is the real game changer here, god bless you Tom Nook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Montalvo posted:

As long as they let me build the coffee shop I don't give a gently caress

This and the Dream Suite.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Joan, Nat, and Chipp died in the war 5 years ago. It's time to let them go.

God that's right, Joan always says she's been selling turnips for sixty years.

And she started saying that like twenty years ago.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh his name is C.J. because he's Chip Junior.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1230497835050618885

Are these two what the kids these days call Twinks? Because I'm not seeing my old beaver and chameleon pals anywhere. :colbert:

This means the game'll be missing 90% of things if you pick it up after the servers go down, doesn't it :(.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm torn on if I want to invite some of my old favorites from New Leaf to my island or not. On the one hand, Anchovy is my buddy and I want to hang out with him. On the other...he won't remember all the fun stuff from New Leaf

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ItBreathes posted:

This means the game'll be missing 90% of things if you pick it up after the servers go down, doesn't it :(.

I figure they'd just patch the holiday events into the game entirely once it reaches that point

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

uhhhh.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1230501359553638401?s=20

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ItBreathes posted:

Considering New Leaf had long enough legs that they put out a physical version of Welcome Amiibo with the update on the cartridge I could see them doing that with New Horizons one day. Especially if the updates go on for like, more than a year or two.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Shneak posted:

I can't wait to recruit my neighbors and discriminate pigs and frogs entirely.

Please send me all your pigs and frogs

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doesn't the Switch also have the ability to download updates from another Switch?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Stores and stuff being 24 hours is the real game changer here, god bless you Tom Nook
That's a smart change; as cute as having stuff operate on a "real world" sort of clock, it's not something that lends well to people with different schedules.

ItBreathes posted:

I mean, I don't think the holiday events are "90% of things" but yeah, it seems like that could be a possibility. That said, this doesn't strike me as a "servers up/down" kind of thing. Maybe for the online play, but the game update data is just going to be a download, probably not much different then other dlc or free updates for any other game on the system.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Flick's bug net is black and has spikes to match his vest :3:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Has anyone seen anything about a bigger character limit for town names yet?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Glad they showed us what happens to Mr. Resetti in this game also.

I think that was him at least, it was his theme song. The voice was different. Maybe it was his daughter.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1230507539932028929?s=21

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Aside from the save-cloud deal the one point I audibly booed was when they said you could get exclusive items in New Horizons if you play Pocket Camp, which I've been good at totally avoiding for the entirety of its existence.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Aside from the save-cloud deal the one point I audibly booed was when they said you could get exclusive items in New Horizons if you play Pocket Camp, which I've been good at totally avoiding for the entirety of its existence.

I've been playing since day 1. :getin:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MorgaineDax posted:

Has anyone seen anything about a bigger character limit for town names yet?

I was looking out for that. The longest island name in the Direct was "Nintenland", with what appeared to be at least another 2 or 3 characters of room in the banner (that is, assuming the font doesn't shrink to make room for even longer names.) Didn't notice any with a space in the name, not to rule that out.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Shops being open 24 hours is a very good change.While I liked the idea of shops having set hours as it contributed to the whole "real world feel", in practicality it was pretty annoying and lead me to doing some time fuckery on certain days just because I had missed shop hours due to being busy. This alleviates that.

I cam to New Leaf in early 2015, when I made the jump into a 3DS on New 3DS release day. It will be fun playing an AC game from Day 1 this time.

Really happy that it's launching in Spring as the blooms look super pretty!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I played a lot of Pocket Camp and I'm still super mad about Pocket Camp.

I honestly only care about collecting things that I can check off of a list. Pocket Camp started having too many events that I couldn't complete without Leaf Tickets and then my catalog wasn't complete anymore. I hate it if there's a blank I can't fill.

Like with Pokemon, I'm good if I can check off the whole Pokedex but I don't care that I haven't seen all the shiny versions.

I'll be mad if I've got blanks from Pocket Camp.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Seriously they're breaking all sorts of old "That's just the way it is" Animal Crossing restrictions/rules that I can't wait for the inevitable think pieces that are all "I liked this series more when we didn't have control over where villagers put down their houses and the grass barely ever grew back" and I'll be all like, that's nice...but I don't care.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Need to unionize this island. Tom Nook using child labor to exploit capitalism like this is not okay.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Seriously they're breaking all sorts of old "That's just the way it is" Animal Crossing restrictions/rules that I can't wait for the inevitable think pieces that are all "I liked this series more when we didn't have control over where villagers put down their houses and the grass barely ever grew back" and I'll be all like, that's nice...but I don't care.

Honestly I'm mostly afraid of being overwhelmed by choice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just watched the direct

oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I could see a reasonable argument to be made about limitations breeding creativity, and less flexible layouts give way to towns having a certain charm, be it positive or negative.

That said, I somehow doubt every player will optimize the gently caress out of their town and it's going to be really fun to see what people do with the options before them.

ItBreathes posted:

Honestly I'm mostly afraid of being overwhelmed by choice.
Same, but it seems like you're not going to get all the options quickly, so you'll have some time to think about where you want to put things.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm almost certainly never going to terraform poo poo because I'm lazy and uncreative but I look forward to seeing what people do with it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/DitzyFlama/status/1230506724538236928?s=19

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Look, everything is cool and good and I'm excited... but man no new species shown off or new villagers glimpsed? I want a taste of the writing too :smith:

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1230516088032526336?s=19

ACPocketNews seems to be dumping a lot of additional screenshots and videos. The one above shows more interactions and dialog with villagers.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Was not expecting terraforming at all. :stwoon:

C'moooon, March 20. Get here faster.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Same, but it seems like you're not going to get all the options quickly, so you'll have some time to think about where you want to put things.

It took like a month of playing before New Leaf let you do everything so I doubt they'll go too crazy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there's nothing else gameplay wise i could possibly ask for from this game after that direct, like holy gently caress

also the new museum exhibits look GODDAMN AMAZING holy poo poo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"Look at me. I'm the mayor now."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just noticed the villagers have 3D noses and it's really freaking me out. They look like moles or zits!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there's nothing else gameplay wise i could possibly ask for from this game after that direct, like holy gently caress

also the new museum exhibits look GODDAMN AMAZING holy poo poo

Yeah, the museum was the point where I started freaking out. That looks SO drat GOOD!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Man we are going to have to futz with the Stalk market like crazy this time around. I want to completely terraform my island

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm still going through the direct... but was my wild dream I invented earlier actuyally true?! We DO get to terraform! Kaloo-Kalay! O what a frabjous day!

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Rip and tear (the terrain), until it is done.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
OH MY GOD

Khanstant posted:

Wait... I thought the core premise of this one was that we got to terraform our own islands. Did I just make that up and have been hyping myself up over it for months?

Naw man, they're really doin' it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Protip posted:

ACPocketNews seems to be dumping a lot of additional screenshots and videos. The one above shows more interactions and dialog with villagers.

That would be because the official website updated with a bunch of stuff.

It's nice to get actual confirmation of Blathers being here because he was suspiciously absent in the Direct. :unsmith: