Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

sisko would have demanded that they be destroyed

You want to be gods? Then BE gods! Keep Janeway away from me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Voyager left before the Dominion War but they left after the Federation was already aware that the Gamma Quadrant was Dominion territory.

It's possible that they even left after contact with the Changelings had been directly established on their homeworld, but it's impossible to know because DS9 doesn't do captain's logs with stardates and Voyager doesn't do continuity so none of its scenes on DS9 (the station) involve DS9 (the show).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Fabulousity posted:

Not really revenge, no. Chang really, really wanted Kirk as a notch on his warrior belt. He'd be "a good get" as they say.

Why would a Vulcan be pro-conspiracy outside of just ridgedly following orders from corrupt superior officers? Valeris quotes some generic "for king and country" poo poo at the end but it kinda falls flat coming from a Vulcan. What's in this for the Federales other than violence for violence's sake? That works for humans or Andorians or whatever but not Vulcans. On the Klingon side of things the society loves war and they have a military industrial complex to support so the motive for keeping the fight going is pretty clear cut. Since any non-stupid Vulcan wouldn't go along with any of that crap it's good they didn't sully Saavik and invented Valeris for the role.

While I'm glad that Saavik did not end up being the traitor because I like her, I can see why she would follow along with the conspiracy. She had a front row seat of Klingon cruelty when Klingopher Lloyd killed her shipmates, murdered David Marcus, and tried to turn the Genesis Project into a WMD. Furthermore, if Klingon warriors were willing to betray the one chancellor that campaigned for peace, then logic might dictate that it would be better to allow the conflict to play out to it's most likely end: the death of the Klingon Empire and survival of the United Federation of Planets.

That being said, that mind meld is incredibly uncomfortable. However, it's not enough to diminish the awesomeness of the movie and DeForest Kelley chewing the scenery like a madman.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TedCLj44kZA

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Danaru posted:

:thunk: rly makes u think

Seeing that in my recommendations on yt made me sad.
Its almost as bad as 'y didnt voyageeer use toimetravel and stop themselvs from going to delta kuadrant hurrr durrr' (ps legit once read a reddit post with that opinion)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Read the post riiight above yours :v:.

No

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Seeing that in my recommendations on yt made me sad.
Its almost as bad as 'y didnt voyageeer use toimetravel and stop themselvs from going to delta kuadrant hurrr durrr' (ps legit once read a reddit post with that opinion)

That was the Harry Kim episode where he decided to restore the timeline and leave his fiancée alone in order to be stranded. Still not sure why.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Xenocides posted:

That was the Harry Kim episode where he decided to restore the timeline and leave his fiancée alone in order to be stranded. Still not sure why.

To save his one true love. . . Paris.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I guess Harry just accepted his fate of forever ensign

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I guess Harry just accepted his fate of forever ensign

This is Harry learning he now has to make 125 to collect a full ensign's pension. . . which is 2 replicator credits per day and 1 holodeck slot every 4th month.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Bogus Adventure posted:

While I'm glad that Saavik did not end up being the traitor because I like her, I can see why she would follow along with the conspiracy. She had a front row seat of Klingon cruelty when Klingopher Lloyd killed her shipmates, murdered David Marcus, and tried to turn the Genesis Project into a WMD. Furthermore, if Klingon warriors were willing to betray the one chancellor that campaigned for peace, then logic might dictate that it would be better to allow the conflict to play out to it's most likely end: the death of the Klingon Empire and survival of the United Federation of Planets.

That being said, that mind meld is incredibly uncomfortable. However, it's not enough to diminish the awesomeness of the movie and DeForest Kelley chewing the scenery like a madman.

There was supposed to be an arc with Saavik carrying Spock’s baby from his Pon Farr and a plan to have a pregnant Saavik shown in Star Trek IV but it got thrown out.

While the mind meld was uncomfortable I think it was a good example of a hard choice that Spock just went with. He did not consult with anyone or drag them in, most likely so he alone carried the responsibility. It just had to be done. It was logical and the needs of the many and all that.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Xenocides posted:

There was supposed to be an arc with Saavik carrying Spock’s baby from his Pon Farr and a plan to have a pregnant Saavik shown in Star Trek IV but it got thrown out.

Nimoy (as the director) wrote into the script an unsimulated sex scene between Spock and Saavik, which caused Kirstie Alley to drop out of Star Trek III. When Nimoy heard that Robin Curtis would be taking over the part he did a rapid re-write.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Blistex posted:

Nimoy (as the director) wrote into the script an unsimulated sex scene between Spock and Saavik, which caused Kirstie Alley to drop out of Star Trek III. When Nimoy heard that Robin Curtis would be taking over the part he did a rapid re-write.

lol

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i don't really know what an ensign is

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

how are engineering and worf the same colour but science is different? wtf?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
For that matter why does the helmsman have the same color as the captain?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

command
operations
science

its actually p easy....

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the real question is what color the whales in cetacean ops would wear

red

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

GolfHole posted:

command
operations
science

its actually p easy....

Yeah but why is The Guy That Steers command?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Gutcruncher posted:

He's commanding the ship through space

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gutcruncher posted:

He commands the boat

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

GolfHole posted:

the real question is what color the whales in cetacean ops would wear

red

show cetacean ops coward picard show

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

probably just a holo-seaman with the edgelord captain's face

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

oh but seriously I posted:

i don't really know what an ensign is

It's a flag.

When you're an ensign I n additional to normal crew duties you are also expected to hang off the flag pole it the stern of the ship as a means of visual identification of your ship's allegiance.

Really poor writing on the part of all of Star Trek to not include this quaint portion of naval tradition.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star Trek's never been too consistent about rank except when sometimes borrowing straight from military experience- DS9 I think is one of the only ones that makes the enlisted/officer divide explicit. But long story short, Ensign is the lowest officer rank, someone who's been given a commission and given the privileges and responsibilities to match; in Starfleet, that generally means having been trained and educated in Starfleet Academy, though in some cases like Kira they seem to consider equivalent experience valid. (Of course, hard to say how honorary Kira's rank was due to it being basically a political ploy to get her into a uniform the Cardassians aren't as hostile to) While O'Brien is senior enlisted in contrast, being basically a Warrant Officer/Petty Officer (I think his rank at the end is Master Chief Petty Officer. Yes, that's where the Halo guy's name comes from) which is basically a rank specifically for people who can't or don't want to be given a commission but are respected and serve in important roles, like engineering. Ensign is basically the lowest rank that would be regular bridge crew on the Enterprise outside of special cases; as Nog said, he might technically be captain if no one else was availaible, though O'Brien says that by the time he's in command there would be no one left to take his orders. (Which Valiant of course tragically makes prophetic. Of course, technically, as soon as he steps onto a ship with only cadets he should have been in charge, though it's unlikely that would have worked)

Command is basically giving the orders and deciding where the ship is going to go and what it's going to do, which makes it fitting that the helm is command because they're such an integral part of that. Operations is about carrying those orders out and making sure the ship is in the position to do so, with security maintaining order and protecting from boarders and saboteurs and such, while Engineering does active mechanical operation, maintenance and repair. Science kinda does its own thing and gathers and provides relevant information to command, which in Star Trek means doing space magic on occasion. And Medical obv does healing stuff, though given medicine is a science it has logical overlap with that. As divisions of duties go, it's fairly sensible.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Trek's never been too consistent about rank except when sometimes borrowing straight from military experience- DS9 I think is one of the only ones that makes the enlisted/officer divide explicit. But long story short, Ensign is the lowest officer rank, someone who's been given a commission and given the privileges and responsibilities to match; in Starfleet, that generally means having been trained and educated in Starfleet Academy, though in some cases like Kira they seem to consider equivalent experience valid. (Of course, hard to say how honorary Kira's rank was due to it being basically a political ploy to get her into a uniform the Cardassians aren't as hostile to) While O'Brien is senior enlisted in contrast, being basically a Warrant Officer/Petty Officer (I think his rank at the end is Master Chief Petty Officer. Yes, that's where the Halo guy's name comes from) which is basically a rank specifically for people who can't or don't want to be given a commission but are respected and serve in important roles, like engineering. Ensign is basically the lowest rank that would be regular bridge crew on the Enterprise outside of special cases; as Nog said, he might technically be captain if no one else was availaible, though O'Brien says that by the time he's in command there would be no one left to take his orders. (Which Valiant of course tragically makes prophetic. Of course, technically, as soon as he steps onto a ship with only cadets he should have been in charge, though it's unlikely that would have worked)

Command is basically giving the orders and deciding where the ship is going to go and what it's going to do, which makes it fitting that the helm is command because they're such an integral part of that. Operations is about carrying those orders out and making sure the ship is in the position to do so, with security maintaining order and protecting from boarders and saboteurs and such, while Engineering does active mechanical operation, maintenance and repair. Science kinda does its own thing and gathers and provides relevant information to command, which in Star Trek means doing space magic on occasion. And Medical obv does healing stuff, though given medicine is a science it has logical overlap with that. As divisions of duties go, it's fairly sensible.

You're forgetting that people wear the colours that they look best in.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oh but seriously I posted:

show cetacean ops coward picard show

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

The helmsman is a senior officer just by the fact they're directly responsible for the wellbeing of EVERYONE onboard, and it's mimicking a naval/airforce career path that loosely goes pilot -> officer -> commanding officer.

They'd also probably need command authority to be able to directly make requests or orders on to Engineering (divert power, etc) or navigation.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

except sometimes wesley did it, so who the gently caress knows

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

and they definitely had a blue shirt or two in that chair

helm is more like a duty
red shirts in that chair are just clocking flight hours

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Why do they even have that guy when 99% of the time the computer can drive? “Plot a course to so-and-so” must be the equivalent of clicking a place on google maps

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

You're forgetting that people wear the colours that they look best in.

That's also a thing.

Of course, as it's repeatedly been joked, the constant loving around with uniforms is by fear the most realistic and relatable part of Star Trek in the experience of real military.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Why do they even have that guy when 99% of the time the computer can drive? “Plot a course to so-and-so” must be the equivalent of clicking a place on google maps

You just have to put that thought out of your mind, or the whole setting starts to break down. It's just like "why don't they do X with the transporter" every time there is a fight. We've seen the computer, at some point in time, perform basically every single function that any of bio crew ever did. You just have to accept that even though it sure seems like the computer could operate the whole ship without any trouble and just pull in for maintenance once in a while, it can't and it takes several hundred people to run it for reasons.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

I like to think that even hundreds of years into the future, we haven't solved autopilot suddenly trying to kill you.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Most jobs on the ship require constant decision making or physical presence at least. But helmsman is just the second most lovely boring job after whatever O’Brien’s job title is when he’s the transporter guy and he just stands alone in a room all day

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I always liked how the justification for why you can dress up your bridge officers in STO was Starfleet basically going "look shits all hosed up, if itll increase morale wear a loving Borat speedo for all we care"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

star trek: borat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Most jobs on the ship require constant decision making or physical presence at least. But helmsman is just the second most lovely boring job after whatever O’Brien’s job title is when he’s the transporter guy and he just stands alone in a room all day

They're there for the same reason you have proper IT support; 95% of the time they're doing mundane poo poo, but you keep them for the 5% of the tim where you need someone skilled to un-gently caress a potential catastrophe.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Planes nowadays basically fly themselves (even for landing and takeoff I believe) but the pilots are still there for some reason. Like there is the very real possibility that within a decade the pilots of planes will just get in, sit down, press a button, and wait until the flight is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

piratepilates posted:

Planes nowadays basically fly themselves (even for landing and takeoff I believe) but the pilots are still there for some reason. Like there is the very real possibility that within a decade the pilots of planes will just get in, sit down, press a button, and wait until the flight is over.

Unless it's a Tesla plane. :v: