Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xealot posted:

Glenn Howerton for Adam Warlock, but where Adam Warlock is still just Dennis Reynolds.

Flaccid

Erect

Flaccid

Erect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hundreds of years from now isn’t that far off considering what we know of civilizations and societies hundreds of years prior to now, the only way Smith’s scenario were to happen is if there was a massive event that caused millions of people in the first world civilizations to die off and the internet to disappear. The survivors would have to rebuild from the remnants and go to like, the Avengers Endgame Novelization because there would be no way to watch those movies on their obsolete medium.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 21, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I mean not to be a black-pill but this era is basically going to be looked at like how readers look at the lovely nobles who party while the city dies in Masque of the Red Death. They aren't going to give a gently caress about our dumb neolib cape movies.

Violator
May 15, 2003

teacup posted:

It’s also my main argument that everyone saying DC hosed up by not introing the characters first then teaming up is wrong.

Yeah, I will go to my grave saying the original way the DCEU introduced the characters (ie, a cosmic event brings everyone together and/or out of hiding at the same time) was a completely valid and appropriate way of doing it. If anything, I prefer it that way. They can always do more retconning where you have adventures with Flash in the past showing how he was working in the shadows as he discovered his abilities, but you don't need loving introductory films for every character before they team up. Isn't the big complaint that people are tired of origin stories anyway?! And wasn't Spiderman introduced into the MCU without a prior origin movie?!

I swear to God, if in this new Batman movie from Reeves they reintroduce stuff from the early comics (like branding or marking criminals) that hasn't been seen in what feels like eons and online nerds climb over each other to proclaim how respectful it is to the source material, I'm going to go out into the woods and scream until my voice is gone.

Violator
May 15, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Hundreds of years from now isn’t that far off considering what we know of civilizations and societies hundreds of years prior to now, the only way Smith’s scenario were to happen is if there was a massive event that caused millions of people in the first world civilizations to die off and the internet to disappear. The survivors would have to rebuild from the remnants and go to like, the Avengers Endgame Novelization because there would be no way to watch those movies on their obsolete medium.

Like that dragon movie with Matthew McConaughey where their religion is based on Star Wars.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Can't wait to base my spiritual identity on a bunch of popcorn movies from a society that sat on its hands and said "but my suvs and cheap chinese poo poo!" while the world burned.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Am I gonna be the first to point out that the magic hammer comes from an existing centuries-old religion, which itself merged with aspects of Christianity?

So basically Smith’s theory is that people will somehow get mixed up and believe Captain America is a character from the Prose Edda.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
They need to make an episode of What If but the plot is just Iron Man 2 before studio meddling.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Am I gonna be the first to point out that the magic hammer comes from an existing centuries-old religion, which itself merged with aspects of Christianity?

So basically Smith’s theory is that people will somehow get mixed up and believe Captain America is a character from the Prose Edda.

Nah someone brought up Norse mythology a bit above

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, the US is rapidly sliding into white nationalism, so a mythic story about how a paragon of (white) American exceptionalism is anointed by the Norse Gods as their equal sounds about right. I'm sure this would be right up some neo-Nazis alley.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dutch Tom recently said in an interview if his spidey could wish someone back from the dead he would pick Tony Stark over Uncle Ben :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1230229104177233920?s=20

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love my dead monopolistic boss.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

McCloud posted:

Dutch Tom recently said in an interview if his spidey could wish someone back from the dead he would pick Tony Stark over Uncle Ben :psyduck:

The MCU rots your soul. This Spider-Man should have stayed dust.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Should have said uncle ben...played by RDJ.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

apparently the actual quote is that Tom wants to work with RDJ again so take from that what you will

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aces High posted:

apparently the actual quote is that Tom wants to work with RDJ again so take from that what you will

The actual question was if Parker had once chance to bring someone back for 24 hours, who would he chose: Stark, Uncle Ben, his parents, or Gwen Stacy. Holland actually starts to say "Uncle" but catches himself and 100% affirmably says Tony Stark lmao. Then he gives the caveat that it's because he'd love to work with RDJ again. Still, in context of the Spider-Man's storied history, it's kind of hilarious that Holland forcefully stays on brand.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don’t worry Tom I’m sure they’ll back that money dump truck up again cause they ran out of ideas after Endgame.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Violator posted:

Like that dragon movie with Matthew McConaughey where their religion is based on Star Wars.
nah they were just telling kids a story in that scene. the best part of a really dumb screenplay

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy A. Person posted:

It just ends up this bizarre half-measure where Vanko Sr.'s big crime is that he tried to profit off of his technology which is in contrast to Stark because...??

And yeah it starts off seemingly interesting where you think because of the collaboration between the two fathers and the incomplete nature of Tony's mini arc reactor giving him the palladium poisoning, Tony needs information/help from Vanko Jr. to fix it. Like...it's incomplete and flawed because one of the original creators was booted, and maybe his son being a part of the story might tie in nicely? Instead it's like, no Stark Sr. was a saint among men who needed to tell Tony to believe in himself, and the Vankos were evil Russians who needed to be killed for capitalism to thrive.

IIRC that was going to be the original direction of the movie, that Stark senior was going to be an rear end in a top hat that stole all his ideas from Vanko senior, and was the main thing that was changed about it among others.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

The actual question was if Parker had once chance to bring someone back for 24 hours, who would he chose: Stark, Uncle Ben, his parents, or Gwen Stacy. Holland actually starts to say "Uncle" but catches himself and 100% affirmably says Tony Stark lmao. Then he gives the caveat that it's because he'd love to work with RDJ again. Still, in context of the Spider-Man's storied history, it's kind of hilarious that Holland forcefully stays on brand.

I mean, it'd be a lot easier to see Stark die again after 24 hours than Uncle Ben. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wait I forgot to rank them.

S-tier:
Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
First Avenger

A-tier:
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man: Far from Home
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain Marvel
Black Panther

B-tier:
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Civil War
Dr. Strange
Incredible Hulk
Ant-Man
Endgame

C-tier:
Thor
Infinity War
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Avengers

Marvel-owes-me-a-refund-tier:
Iron Man 2
Age of Ultron

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Marvel movies ranked from most to least problematic:

Thor 1: Loki is genetically predisposed to trickery and lies because he's half Frost Giant, a race characterized as inherently savage and primitive, but able to pass as Asgardian. He uses that passing privilege to foment a revolution among the oppressed Frost Giants, and this is portrayed as bad. The film also promotes monarchism.

Iron Man 1: pro-drones as long as the right technocrats have them

Guardians of the Galaxy: Ronan is Hamas

Iron Man 2: whitewashes notorious white supremacist Walt Disney, continues the pro-drone sentiment of the first, and has a subplot about how Russians are degenerates(except Scarlett Johansson, she's hot and works for America), but it's so scattered and incoherent it's not quite as effective as the first

Avengers: just sort of poo poo in general

Ant-Man: Scott is a father's rights MRA but it does touch on the difficulties convicts have returning to society

Captain America 1: Jingoist but it's WW2 so that's kind of OK

Captain America 2: the PATRIOT Act is portrayed as a fascist plot by crypto-Nazis. Woke by comparison

Spider-Man Homecoming: Vulture is a victim of Stark's monopolization of the New York City economy which Spider-man perpetuates as a Stark charter school kid/unpaid superintern, but he is also a small business tyrant. Shades of gray, most woke so far.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
In what way is Scott Lang an MRA? Like, there isn't a single instance where he complains about his wife having custody, and he does his honest best to meet the requirements set by her. Like, that's a major plot point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Glenn I see playing more of a Star Fox type character

Not sure if you mean the Marvel Starfox or the Nintendo Star Fox.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

McCloud posted:

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1230229104177233920?s=20

Uncle Ben has had exactly zero impact on this version of spider-man. All three spider-man movie versions are different, and they have nothing to do with the spider-man from the comics.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rofl

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Grendels Dad posted:

In what way is Scott Lang an MRA? Like, there isn't a single instance where he complains about his wife having custody, and he does his honest best to meet the requirements set by her. Like, that's a major plot point.

What they said. There is also a good bit on blended families and difficulty adjusting to not evil step parents, trying to live up to expectations Vs forging your own life, and of course, moving on from past events. Also the effects of arrogance and assholery on the people around you.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why does everyone hate Chris Pratt now?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Oasx posted:

Why does everyone hate Chris Pratt now?

Religious Republican

Edit: More specifically though, a terrible blockbuster lead

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Oasx posted:

Uncle Ben has had exactly zero impact on this version of spider-man. All three spider-man movie versions are different, and they have nothing to do with the spider-man from the comics.

it's sort of amazing how true this is and how little people seem to care about that fact. Like obviously he gets mentioned but everyone was so excited that they were dispensing with a retelling of the origin and it seems like not telling that story has kinda sidelined that part of Spider-Man's character. It doesn't help that he had a different dead father figure in Far From Home who was definitely not Uncle Ben, and was in fact kind of a terrible role model for a teenage superhero.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

DC Murderverse posted:

it's sort of amazing how true this is and how little people seem to care about that fact. Like obviously he gets mentioned but everyone was so excited that they were dispensing with a retelling of the origin and it seems like not telling that story has kinda sidelined that part of Spider-Man's character. It doesn't help that he had a different dead father figure in Far From Home who was definitely not Uncle Ben, and was in fact kind of a terrible role model for a teenage superhero.

Yeah, I mean, your last part is the issue. A Spider-Man without Uncle Ben is doable, but turning the MCU's Tony Stark into their Spider-Man's Uncle Ben feels tragic.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oasx posted:

I'm fine with making some changes to the character, if it serves a larger narrative purpose. What's the narrative purpose of replacing Uncle Ben with Tony Stark, aside from a cold calculated decision to milk RDJs good standing with the audience? It turns him from a self made superhero struggling to juggle school, work, personal life and web-swinging into a trust fund baby. Hollands spider-man is bascially "50 Shades of Gray" for nerds

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I enjoy Tom Holland as Spiderman.i would like to see more emphasis on how he and Aunt May support each other (emotionally, financially, academically etc) and I think they'd do really well. Except lol, no IRONMAN.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

McCloud posted:

I'm fine with making some changes to the character, if it serves a larger narrative purpose. What's the narrative purpose of replacing Uncle Ben with Tony Stark, aside from a cold calculated decision to milk RDJs good standing with the audience? It turns him from a self made superhero struggling to juggle school, work, personal life and web-swinging into a trust fund baby. Hollands spider-man is bascially "50 Shades of Gray" for nerds
I mean it's kindof core to the narrative of both MCU Spiderman films? In the first he's trying to prove himself while in the second he's struggling to live up to the massive expectations of him.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Seeing a lot of people on here cold on age of Ultron is making me very excited to watch infinity War tonight

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Seeing a lot of people on here cold on age of Ultron is making me very excited to watch infinity War tonight

Prepare for impaired Vision.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Vision, so good they did him in twice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The MCU has always been very unfocused with Vision.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

But he keeps the berd.

Maybe I'm forgetting but I thought I remember reading at the time that Vanko having a parrot was something Rourke insisted on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean it's kindof core to the narrative of both MCU Spiderman films? In the first he's trying to prove himself while in the second he's struggling to live up to the massive expectations of him.

Struggling to live up to massive expectations is so fuckin bourgeois.