Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My goal is 75% efficiency or whatever if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I reinstalled to check out experimental and the changes are pretty drat nice and pipes are fun to work with. The one thing that annoys me though is when they mix divisions of odd and even numbers for inputs/outputs. Oh this machine takes in 60 steel a minute and puts out 15 steel beams? Well now the recipe for encased steel beams is in multiples of twelve because gently caress you. And the units of production a minute sometimes don't hit exactly the number you need. They'll be like 0.10 over/under. So I have to figure out how many more machines I need to be able to get the most efficiency out of the recipe and how much I need to over/underclock something to get the outputs matching up with the inputs which they don't. Argh.

I think you can over or underclock using the power slugs and type in the exact number to get the ratios you want/need.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Hamelekim posted:

I think you can over or underclock using the power slugs and type in the exact number to get the ratios you want/need.

Yeah that parts fine. But then you run into the problem of overclocking the assembler for encased steel beams, but it doesn't go from 12 to 15 it's like 14.96 or 15.2. Then you have to deal with the increased beam cost, which then impacts back to the steel crafter, which impacts the foundry, which then impacts how much ore is going in. just trying to get an efficient input/output fucks up the entire supply chain.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah that parts fine. But then you run into the problem of overclocking the assembler for encased steel beams, but it doesn't go from 12 to 15 it's like 14.96 or 15.2. Then you have to deal with the increased beam cost, which then impacts back to the steel crafter, which impacts the foundry, which then impacts how much ore is going in. just trying to get an efficient input/output fucks up the entire supply chain.

You can just type 15 in to the field if that's what you want ;)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You can just type 15 in to the field if that's what you want ;)

It rounds to the closest number you can clock too :ssh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

New video.

https://youtu.be/QBE1Xl94s9o

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Haven't played in a while. Definitely did not have to hand craft nearly as much stuff this time around. Not sure if that's because of the added craft time dis-incentive or recipe changes, but either way it's welcome. Still wish it was easier to get to automated power, I don't like how my early game scaling is entirely based on how much time I'm willing to spend chopping down trees.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sipher posted:

Still wish it was easier to get to automated power, I don't like how my early game scaling is entirely based on how much time I'm willing to spend chopping down trees.

I'm a bit torn on this, because the need for biomass in the early game is what initially pushes you to explore. For a new player who doesn't know about hard drives or caterium or power slugs, what reason do you have to step away from your base other than going to the nearest new resource node?

The fact that exploring is such a major part of the game feels at odds with the core automation gameplay. In a game like this, the usual key to having fun is to never be waiting - if you need something to be ready and it isn't, build more production of it so that it comes faster. If you're doing things right you usually won't have much downtime to spend hunting down collectables. Getting new resource nodes gets you out a bit, but they're both too spread out and too productive for it to really feel like you can just hop over to the next patch of coal for more steel rather than upgrade the coal mines/steel foundries you have. In my latest game I've just fulfilled the last space elevator step (as of current Early Access progression) and never needed more than one site for coal, oil, caterium, sulphur or quartz (other than the time that unlocking nobelisks let me access a much nearer quartz mine than the original one I'd staked out). I never sat around waiting for anything and never capped out my production, with only a little bit of exploring.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Tenebrais posted:

I'm a bit torn on this, because the need for biomass in the early game is what initially pushes you to explore

This is a good point. Maybe the game just needs a more heavy handed example that exploring is a core part of the gameplay loop. Transitioning from Factorio to this game can be a little jarring, though I really enjoy both games for their own reasons,

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Sipher posted:

This is a good point. Maybe the game just needs a more heavy handed example that exploring is a core part of the gameplay loop. Transitioning from Factorio to this game can be a little jarring, though I really enjoy both games for their own reasons,

I find myself exploring a bunch more while waiting for the second space elevator upgrade to finish filling up, since now that I've got coal power up and running I don't have to worry about my factory running out of fuel and shutting down while I'm away.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BabelFish posted:

I find myself exploring a bunch more while waiting for the second space elevator upgrade to finish filling up, since now that I've got coal power up and running I don't have to worry about my factory running out of fuel and shutting down while I'm away.

This. Needing more deposits is a big driver of exploration, and you are only really free to explore once you're off biomass.

If we could at least hook up biomass generators to belts so that we could build up a system where we deposit debris, it gets processed, and then fed into generators without doing it by hand, that would be a huge early game improvement.

Thing is, by the time you invest the infrastructure to do so, you're pretty much at coal anyway, so it feels irrelevant. The game feels actively hostile to automation before coal power.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Biosmass doesn't encourage exploration either, there's tons of it right near where you start in most places, it's just pointless busywork moreso then the rest of the game is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can load up the generators with 200 of the new biomass thingy and explore for like an hour

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The analyzer asking for monster bits forces some exploration because you have to go find more.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I've been exploring for hard drives, and each new wreck I find seems to already have the required parts inside? Anyone else encounter this>

This are new, unencountered wrecks to be clear

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

The analyzer asking for monster bits forces some exploration because you have to go find more.

I wish there was more monster variety across biomes, though, and more variety in the loot drops from monsters. Yet again there's really no reason to explore other biomes because every tree is wood and leaves, and every monster drops the same two kinds of items. Even the big ones only drop more of them, not anything different.

Hipster Occultist posted:

So I've been exploring for hard drives, and each new wreck I find seems to already have the required parts inside? Anyone else encounter this>

This are new, unencountered wrecks to be clear

I think it's just that the game auto-places the required items from your inventory into that slot.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

ymgve posted:

I wish there was more monster variety across biomes, though, and more variety in the loot drops from monsters. Yet again there's really no reason to explore other biomes because every tree is wood and leaves, and every monster drops the same two kinds of items. Even the big ones only drop more of them, not anything different.

I think it's just that the game auto-places the required items from your inventory into that slot.

It was yeah, I ran back to a wreck that requires parts you can't make yet, and sure enough.

Whoops :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dirk the Average posted:

Thing is, by the time you invest the infrastructure to do so, you're pretty much at coal anyway, so it feels irrelevant. The game feels actively hostile to automation before coal power.

Even after coal power, automation really sucks. I'm starting over and setting up factories before I have access to things I know what I want to use really sucks. I basically have an area where I know I want to eventually set up my factory, and I have to build things messily in another area because I have to constantly take things apart and rebuilt them depending on what I need to grind at that moment. Though I did get smart with my coal this time. I plugged the miner straight into the power plant so I just have to run power back to my factory instead of a coal belt.

I guess the impetus for exploring is just waiting for your factory to grind out materials. If they don't want people manually making things, then they shouldn't make the constructors and assemblers so slow. When I don't really have anywhere to go, putting my phone on my spacebar while watching a youtube video is faster.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 21, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Even after coal power, automation really sucks. I'm starting over and setting up factories before I have access to things I know what I want to use really sucks. I basically have an area where I know I want to eventually set up my factory, and I have to build things messily in another area because I have to constantly take things apart and rebuilt them depending on what I need to grind at that moment. Though I did get smart with my coal this time. I plugged the miner straight into the power plant so I just have to run power back to my factory instead of a coal belt.

I guess the impetus for exploring is just waiting for your factory to grind out materials. If they don't want people manually making things, then they shouldn't make the constructors and assemblers so slow. When I don't really have anywhere to go, putting my phone on my spacebar while watching a youtube video is faster.

At that point though, it's worth your time to go out and hook up additional deposits. Coal gives plenty of power to run more machines, and you can pretty quickly start hooking up more iron, more copper, etc. and start building a larger and larger factory.

I do wish that building machines en masse were easier. Hooking up power lines is tedious busywork given that the cost of each power pole/wire is trivial, and paving a large floor takes entirely too many clicks.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I have a nice set-up for a 2 floor 3 x 5 factory that has 4 constructor and 4 assemblers that has become my go to design, but they're a pain in the rear end to set-up every time because how small it is, everything needs to fit perfectly or I have to scrap everything and start over. If we had some sort blueprint system it would take a lot of the pointless busy work that seems to be the problem in this game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Best way I can imagine blueprints working is if the Hub gives you access to a virtual space where you can build and configure whatever you like for free, then save it as a blueprint to stamp out into the world. It would avoid any issues around mass selection or the natural environment and provide a good means of modifying an existing blueprint.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Best way I can imagine blueprints working is if the Hub gives you access to a virtual space where you can build and configure whatever you like for free, then save it as a blueprint to stamp out into the world. It would avoid any issues around mass selection or the natural environment and provide a good means of modifying an existing blueprint.

That's a pretty good idea, and it could be a way to use the room that used to house the MAM. Just install a VR workstation instead.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
There used to be a mod that allowed you to specify a cube by its x,y,z coordinates and the side length. Then copy everything inside it to other coordinates, but I don't know the name. Only saw a Youtuber use it, so no idea if it has been updated yet.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I always set up two containers, one for wood one for plants that turns their input into whatever the generators needs and dumps it all at a container right by them.

It’s not quite full automation but they last a long time so it’s good enough.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I do wish that building machines en masse were easier. Hooking up power lines is tedious busywork given that the cost of each power pole/wire is trivial, and paving a large floor takes entirely too many clicks.

Powered floors would be excellent. Cleans up the rats nest of wires when you have 10 coming off a pole.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Fans posted:

I always set up two containers, one for wood one for plants that turns their input into whatever the generators needs and dumps it all at a container right by them.

It’s not quite full automation but they last a long time so it’s good enough.

Full automation for early-game bio-burner power would require some kind of optionally-burner-charged, optionally-external-line-charged lumberjack structure with mobile drones that could go pick leaves and return them to station, with an upgrade included in the chainsaw unlock to let them harvest trees as well.

I think this would be cool, but considering that Factorio with its bot-based endgame exists and we haven’t seen any conversation about any kinds of drones yet, I’m getting the impression that the devs would rather not gently caress around with any more independently-pathing entities.

Also, completed my very first train loop in Satisfactory last night. Hoooly gently caress how are conveyors so straightforward, but rails so finicky?!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

kloa posted:

Powered floors would be excellent. Cleans up the rats nest of wires when you have 10 coming off a pole.

Yeah, but the wall mounted single and double poles are such a game changer if you build actual walls around your entire facility, which I do, because I can. (glass foundations are the best loving thing, too)

They neaten things up so nicely (especially running electric between floors), with the only downside that they don't have a breaker you can flip to restart from a power outage.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

kloa posted:

Or powered ceiling nodes, to match the wall nodes would be great. You could then string wires from above and make things a little cleaner.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I'd like to see wall-mounted ladders, actually. Only snaps to foundations or walls like walkways do.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

Full automation for early-game bio-burner power would require some kind of optionally-burner-charged, optionally-external-line-charged lumberjack structure with mobile drones that could go pick leaves and return them to station, with an upgrade included in the chainsaw unlock to let them harvest trees as well.

I think this would be cool, but considering that Factorio with its bot-based endgame exists and we haven’t seen any conversation about any kinds of drones yet, I’m getting the impression that the devs would rather not gently caress around with any more independently-pathing entities.

Also, completed my very first train loop in Satisfactory last night. Hoooly gently caress how are conveyors so straightforward, but rails so finicky?!

Well, there's still a Tier 8 and possibly 9 and 10 to go. All these advanced products we're making are going to need to be used for some sort of infrastructure. I'd been wondering what else might await in the last couple of tiers and bots would fit in pretty nicely, although they might get into more sci-fi stuff like teleporters to work with all the strange alien metals.

I don't think biomass necessarily needs full automation but being able to have the burners be fed by belts would help a lot - the most tedious part is distributing your fuel between the seven or eight burners you've got going at the moment so you generate enough voltage.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't tried that part yet, but requiring the huge refinery building to fill/empty liquids from containers seems dumb. I'd expect a smaller, cheaper machine to do that really.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Well, there's still a Tier 8 and possibly 9 and 10 to go. All these advanced products we're making are going to need to be used for some sort of infrastructure. I'd been wondering what else might await in the last couple of tiers and bots would fit in pretty nicely, although they might get into more sci-fi stuff like teleporters to work with all the strange alien metals.

Based on the stuff people have found unimplemented in the code, It's going to be stuff that utilizes the waste uranium products, like particle accelerators and stuff. Some hints at quantum stuff, teleportation.

nielsm posted:

I haven't tried that part yet, but requiring the huge refinery building to fill/empty liquids from containers seems dumb. I'd expect a smaller, cheaper machine to do that really.

I tried implementing it, and it seemed super tedious, so I'm hoping to bypass it entirely, other than making gas for my jet pack. Or maybe there will be an alternate recipe that produces it in one step, rather than the current two-step make-fluid-and-then-package-it process.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 21, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I have to say I'm appreciating the aliens mechanic in factorio more after playing this, along with deposit limits, as they both act as forces to require you to explore and expand. The new deposits are needed to feed your hungry machine, and the aliens attacking with escalating force to delete your respected gives you a reason in the mid game to not just dither in your base. I'm honestly hoping that there's something similar to that to encourage the player to not just sit around banging iron rocks and leveling up that way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

You don't need full automation; just a way for biomass/fuel to automatically route from a container to a burner. Letting players dump hours worth of power into a container and run off to go do something else would go a long way towards making the pre-coal game less agonizing.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Dirk the Average posted:

You don't need full automation; just a way for biomass/fuel to automatically route from a container to a burner. Letting players dump hours worth of power into a container and run off to go do something else would go a long way towards making the pre-coal game less agonizing.

I want a way to grow plants and trees and then auto harvest them for fuel.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

LonsomeSon posted:

:yeah: At least riding the trains is a lot of fun! And the animations look really good!

I'm not looking forward to hooking up the second/third/fourth train loops I'm going to need to get the rest of my products back to my mall, but I'm gonna do it! It's either that or go find that my buddy is belting 480 bauxite/sec back 1.5km back to base on level 1 belts. Again.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

The main issue with rail is that the tracks are very specific about the amount of curving they'll do. It's basically impossible to free-hand a small loop and have it work right on the first try. Here's what I do:

- Lay track out to the point that I want the loop to start.
- Starting at the end of the track, lay three concrete slabs straight along the way the track was going to go.
- At the end of this, lay two more concrete slabs to the left or right of the last straight slab, so you have a 3x3 L.

=
=
=
[]
[]
[][][]

Now make a track piece that goes from one edge of the L to the other. This is the smallest 90 degree turn you can make. Repeat three more times to make it loop around.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I hate how hard it is to get tracks to go straight in a direction. My tracks sort of meander around in a shallow s-bend everywhere and while it doesn't seem to be causing any problems it's still annoying.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

bbcisdabomb posted:

I hate how hard it is to get tracks to go straight in a direction. My tracks sort of meander around in a shallow s-bend everywhere and while it doesn't seem to be causing any problems it's still annoying.

Pave the world and build on that, tracks snap to foundations.

I've never gotten a straight rail segment otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I wish rail supports existed. Let me build my tracks elevated, and not have to snap to the pitch of the ground! Trying to build an aesthetically pleasing track from the oil reserves on the coast was awful. So many dunes.

So I made it to the top of the peak in the middle of the continent. Is the crash site there supposed to be empty? That was a bit diappointing.