Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jacqueline referreed a few matches on Sunday Night Heat in either 2003 or 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought you might have misspelled something or had a brief psychotic episode, but yeah no theres a Japanese indie called SEAdLINNNG, with that capitalization. Neat.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nevermind this trick didn't work so i've edited it out fastly

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which makes me realize AEW doesn't really seem to do ref bumps either. They've more or less gotten rid of the trope that the pro wrestling referee is made of glass and is going to get their poo poo ruined so the heel can cheat

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AEW's had a focus on cleanish matches. No DQs, no COs, no non finishes. Even gang beatdowns tend to happen away from matches. The Inner Circle didn't jump Moxley last night until after the match ended. The screwiest match I can think of is that first episode 6 man where Moxley pulled Omega out and put him through a table.

And like everyone was losing it that AEW didn't call it a DQ and end the match because we're just so conditioned to gently caress finishes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 20, 2020

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
AEW is so refreshing in that the important part of the show is the actual matches, and everything else is specifically pushing a storyline or two in support of that.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Which makes me realize AEW doesn't really seem to do ref bumps either. They've more or less gotten rid of the trope that the pro wrestling referee is made of glass and is going to get their poo poo ruined so the heel can cheat

What? They’ve had less but they’ve still had them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't say there's definitely none but I can't think of any matches that went all screwy like that. Again, besides arguably that first Dynamite main even 6 way.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How hard/impossible is it to kick out of one of those super-deep "hook both legs and pull them way up" covers? Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DI-TPLByk

People only seem to do them on finishes so I wonder if they're difficult to kick out of.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJeff posted:

How hard/impossible is it to kick out of one of those super-deep "hook both legs and pull them way up" covers? Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DI-TPLByk

People only seem to do them on finishes so I wonder if they're difficult to kick out of.

With your arms like that, pretty hard. If you have your arms at your side you could try to roll back and/or lift them off of you with both arms.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Don't know about America as much but I know in the UK even as female participation in team sports has increased and as the top levels get more professional; you haven't seen that spread into more women going into becoming referees/umpires or other officials. You are starting to see female football referees and cricket umpires come through and we've had some major developments really but there's still a gap.

The main reason is almost certainly sexism but I wonder if a second reason might be just the fact that there's less women actively trying to train and so no one is really encouraged to look at refereeing. To use the real sports analogy since I know it better: the cricket team I used to play for was overflowing with male players so someone who wasn't very good at playing the game but who knew the rules very well could switch and train as an umpire without the team losing much (and since umpiring pays a little bit of money it helps everyone) while our women's team, despite being grouped with many other local teams, struggled to put out a team a lot of the time. That meant that literally anyone who knew the rules could walk into the team and get a game which means that there is less incentive for people at the grassroots level to seek out other ways of participating; and in all these things developments at the grassroots often trickle up. The analogy in wrestling would be a situation where a school has a lot more men training than women and so they can afford to "lose" some of those dudes as wrestlers to have some refs, while they perhaps wouldn't want to lose any of their female trainees to it.

There is also the authority thing but in wrestling that shouldn't matter anyway and as female refs in sports become normalised whatever limited belief people have in that gets weaker and weaker.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought you might have misspelled something or had a brief psychotic episode, but yeah no theres a Japanese indie called SEAdLINNNG, with that capitalization. Neat.

Honestly whatvdvabenmeltzter said about Dean Amanda's do flux every telling.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Nyla Rose got suspended for putting a Mike Knox through a table, no?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

AEW's lady ref is named Aubrey Edwards, she's great. WWE has one female ref, Jessika Carr, I believe her name is.

There haven't been any female refs because wrestling is a lovely business full of lovely people.

vince sexually assaulted the last full time one they had.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Nyla Rose got suspended for putting a Mike Knox through a table, no?

Rick Knox, Mike’s much less hirsute brother.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
What was Hogan's kayfabe reasoning for turning heel and joining the NWO? He had the world in WCW and it's not like he ever gave a poo poo about Razor or Diesel

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The idea was that Ted Turner got him onboard with WCW by making big promises about movie deals, and then let him down. That's why he became Hollywood Hogan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

What was Hogan's kayfabe reasoning for turning heel and joining the NWO? He had the world in WCW and it's not like he ever gave a poo poo about Razor or Diesel

He basically said he was bored.

If they wanted to extrapolate a bit, they could have just had him be pissed at being left off of team WCW.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 21, 2020

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Low Desert Punk posted:

i think hogan in nwo is one of those very rare circumstances where "you people" is actually a good way to go. the crowd had given up on hogan in wcw, and so hogan, in return, sold out and became hollywood hulk hogan and took out years of frustration on the audience. his character became how great it was to be a movie star and hang out with celebrities and basically just being jaded and over the "vitamins and prayers" bullshit. hulk hogan sucks, but hollywood hogan was a great character, for a time of course.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once Hogan found his stride as a heel, he was one of the best heels I've ever seen

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Once Hogan found his stride as a heel, he was one of the best heels I've ever seen

imo wrestling should try this more often - let the guy who is a miserably villainous piece of poo poo as a human play a heel, and see how he does

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

imo wrestling should try this more often - let the guy who is a miserably villainous piece of poo poo as a human play a heel, and see how he does

If this was applied to everyone there would be approximately three face wrestlers in the entire world

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I distinctly remember The Rock getting booed in his match with Lesanr at SummerSlam 2002. Was this a Hogan situation? They just got tired of him?

(Came to mind due to all the talk about going Hollywood and turning on the crowd. Of course Rock came back as Hollywood Rock and had the best theme song.)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wasn't it known Rock was leaving after Summerslam 2002? He'd already broken in with Scorpion King or Mummy 2 and was going to be out from August until February.

I just realised that both Rock and Lesnar had their last WWE matches for years at Wrestlemania 20.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

I distinctly remember The Rock getting booed in his match with Lesanr at SummerSlam 2002. Was this a Hogan situation? They just got tired of him?

(Came to mind due to all the talk about going Hollywood and turning on the crowd. Of course Rock came back as Hollywood Rock and had the best theme song.)

He was leaving, and besides that, the fans always got sick of him real quick, I think it was because he was just mean a lot of the time, which was funny, but like... too mean? In comparison to Austin, who had to work like hell to get booed, even after his heel turn at WM17

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Hogan sucks but this was a great promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_rB95AiOnQ

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What's really funny about this is that Bischoff doesn't even lie about this promo style being not the result of genius, but because Hogan did incoherent bullshit in front of a camera and the quick cuts and jump cuts and effects were a way of making it all look cool instead of your dad trying to be cool.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

What's really funny about this is that Bischoff doesn't even lie about this promo style being not the result of genius, but because Hogan did incoherent bullshit in front of a camera and the quick cuts and jump cuts and effects were a way of making it all look cool instead of your dad trying to be cool.

Nash and Hall have said the same thing in interviews. I never know who to believe in wrestling but this all seems believable.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Nash and Hall have said the same thing in interviews. I never know who to believe in wrestling but this all seems believable.
Considering the lie that'd be self-serving is "we were geniuses and visionaries who came up with this," and they've gone in favor of "we got really lucky," meaning somebody at an editing deck saved their asses, I'm gonna' say there's zero reason to doubt the accounts of Bischoff, Nash, and Hall.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't trust Nash, Hall, or especially Bischoff, but yeah this checks out 100%.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
how was sherri martel as a wrestler?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What is the best tag team match of all time?

Like 2 vs 2 only

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What is the best tag team match of all time?

Like 2 vs 2 only

edit: oops, didn't read question right

it's Taue/Kawada vs. Kobashi/Misawa - any match between them really

personal pick is the 1/24/95 match

https://youtu.be/38xWXVuJQwE

Dr. Zoggle fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 22, 2020

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

here comes the spunk posted:

Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Angle/Benoit vs edge/Mysterio no mercy 02

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of answer I'm after.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Probably below the others mentioned, but if you happen to have attitude era nostalgia, the austin/HHH vs benoit/jericho match holds up.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hijo del Santo and Octagon vs Eddie Guerrero and Art Barr from When Worlds Collide is great

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

in that vein, kobashi/kikuchi vs can-am express might have the best crowd ever, hell of a match too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Young Bucks/Lucha Bros from All Out is a contender, as is their Double or Nothing match. DIY vs The Revival at TakeOver Toronto is up there. Briscoes-Bucks at RoH Final Battle 2016 is strong.