Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Jokes aside I could definitely see doing this at FNM if we don't get enough for draft or whatever. As long as it's not crazy expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

quote:

but most of them use brand-new themed land art created for Jumpstart.

Oh god does this mean there will be cat themed basics?

Nobody tell my kid.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i wanna know what the art for the discard theme is going to possibly look like

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My heart goes out to whoever calculates the average EV.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Edit - Big old jk checked the article legacy back hell ya let’s get some strong cards or some good reprints

uggy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 21, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Oh god does this mean there will be cat themed basics?

Nobody tell my kid.

I've already got the Oketra's monument Plains in my Cat deck!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

could be new-art Raven’s Crime, could be Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek. gotta buy it to find out

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

uggy posted:

Wait 400 reprints that are legal in “eternal” what’s that like pioneer back?? Will we see cards out in formats they weren’t legal in previously?

Edit - and new cards!! I assume the power level will be low due to this same issue?

Edit 2 like if inquisition is in the discard deck would it legal in pioneer then?

The new cards will be legal in Legacy and Vintage only. Reprints will be legal in whatever format-legal sets they were in already.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
to rephrase, the only cards in jumpstart that will be newly playable in non-eternal formats are the cards that are from core set 2021 and those straight-up have the core set 2021 logo on them; all other cards have the jumpstart expansion set on them

now, jumpstart is confirmed to come out on arena this year though in a different form for obvious reasons so who knows if they're going to be historic legal there, but lol historic

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are these legal in modern and pioneer?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

to rephrase, the only cards in jumpstart that will be newly playable in non-eternal formats are the cards that are from core set 2021 and those straight-up have the core set 2021 logo on them; all other cards have the jumpstart expansion set on them

now, jumpstart is confirmed to come out on arena this year though in a different form for obvious reasons so who knows if they're going to be historic legal there, but lol historic

That's a surprisingly good way to seed cards for pioneer though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The "obvious" way for it to come out in Arena is as a phantom event where you get a random two packs as your deck, so it doesn't necessarily impact Historic any more than the lolfuckyou Momir additions did.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That's a surprisingly good way to seed cards for pioneer though

pioneer is not an eternal format and as such jumpstart doesn't add any cards to it, unless you mean 'seed' as in 'reprint' to which i agree 100%

jumpstart's almost definitely where the oubliette reprint is coming from, too

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Jumpstart sounds fun, similar principal to Smash Up but randomised and single use, but also collectable and presumably a reprint vehicle. Wonder if packs are monocolor?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

pioneer is not an eternal format and as such jumpstart doesn't add any cards to it, unless you mean 'seed' as in 'reprint' to which i agree 100%

jumpstart's almost definitely where the oubliette reprint is coming from, too

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. They can put some of the most played cards in the reprints without having to implement whole sets

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BizarroAzrael posted:

Jumpstart sounds fun, similar principal to Smash Up but randomised and single use, but also collectable and presumably a reprint vehicle. Wonder if packs are monocolor?

most packs will be monocolor, but there are multicolor themes in the ones that appear less -- that way you don't end up donstantly getting four colors across your 40 card deck

I think the base play they recommend is going to be fun (get two packs, shuffle together, Just Go) but I think it'll probably better to do the alternate style of opening up a bunch so you can see the themes/colors and rochester drafting those in a group

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The lands themed booster, where it's just 1 of each fetchland.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dinosaur is not going to be a common theme, it might not even exist as a theme and that will make me sad.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Devor posted:

I wish I could back in time to before I watched this to warn myself

https://youtu.be/D6uPN30plvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0zxVkTH6A

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

AngryBooch posted:

I need to buy these until i get the dog theme pack

Not empty quoting. As a dog lover and not a cat lover, it’s nice to finally see something like this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

InterrupterJones posted:

Not empty quoting. As a dog lover and not a cat lover, it’s nice to finally see something like this.

I swear to god dog if this is the set where MaRo gets his way and we actually get "Dog" as a creature type... lol

Though realistically if it is, it's because it's in Core 2021. That'll make up for Teferi.set!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
This is way more dope than the initial impression of "more themed boosters!". Can't believe I'm going to get suckered into this.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So... it's literally smash up.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also,

Paul Zuvella posted:

First infidelity and now this? LSVs got some 'splanin to do!

rabidsquid posted:

it wasnt infidelity, she made eye contact with him and he understood she was just passing priority

Bust Rodd posted:

Passing priority of his kid to his ex-wife

TheKingofSprings posted:

Curious what LSV’s opinion of upkeep payments are like now

kalvanoo posted:

he brainstormed, tucked the wife and kid, and cracked a fetch

rabidsquid posted:

i flashback cabal therapy naming wife and saccing the baby

TheKingofSprings posted:

“Oblivion Ring” now extremely on the nose

Owlbear Camus posted:

LSV: Final Parting on the stack?
Family Court Judge: ... resolves.

lol

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
These sound like a lot of fun for changing things up when no one wants to draft the current standard set for the 9th week in a row.

It’ll be a great way to reprint the $2-$5 common and uncommons that are staples to formats.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The American Dream posted:

It’ll be a great way to reprint the $2-$5 common and uncommons that are staples to formats.

[x] Doubt: even though the boosters will be more expensive, those staples typically get reprinted in Masters type sets

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Can't wait to see what the markup will be on these at my lgs. A shame because they seem like they could be fun

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Goa Tse-tung posted:

[x] Doubt: even though the boosters will be more expensive, those staples typically get reprinted in Masters type sets

They stopped doing those, though.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

ilmucche posted:

Can't wait to see what the markup will be on these at my lgs. A shame because they seem like they could be fun

It looks like mystery boosters are gonna be $6. And these will probably be $6. I wonder how long until standard sets are $6 a pack. This seems to be what they’re moving towards.

Speaking of mystery boosters, does anyone know when they’re going to announce the foil set? Or start announcing it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

It looks like mystery boosters are gonna be $6. And these will probably be $6. I wonder how long until standard sets are $6 a pack. This seems to be what they’re moving towards.

They already removed MSRP from their products. It’s already happened. It is just a question of when The Market makes the collective decision to up the price. But paper may be slowing down fast enough, we could see a jump by the end of the year.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

AlternateNu posted:

They already removed MSRP from their products. It’s already happened. It is just a question of when The Market makes the collective decision to up the price. But paper may be slowing down fast enough, we could see a jump by the end of the year.

WOTC still controls prices via the wholesale pricing, with guidance based on their direct sales via amazon. They just don’t openly advertise. Pack prices aren’t really a market thing unless there are supply issues.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Speaking of mystery boosters, does anyone know when they’re going to announce the foil set? Or start announcing it?

There was an announcement of an announcement ("soon") this week, and there have been a few leaks spotted on eBay. It's mostly commander dross and nothing which hasn't been printed in foil yet. Also nothing which is already in the regular set.

Leaks: Marrow-Gnawer, Hound of Konda, Reaper King, Isamaru, Blighted Agent

*e: fixed typo

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 21, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Clowner posted:

So... it's literally smash up.

The new UN-set is this too, but the UN packs are fixed, where it seems like there's still some randomness to the contents of the jump start packs? Like, there's multiple different cards that can go in a Dog-themed pack? The article seemed unclear.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

The new UN-set is this too, but the UN packs are fixed, where it seems like there's still some randomness to the contents of the jump start packs? Like, there's multiple different cards that can go in a Dog-themed pack? The article seemed unclear.

I think it's that there are small number of distinct dog-themed packs. So every Dog 1 pack will be identical, but it'll be different from the Dog 2 pack.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

flatluigi posted:

the article isn't up yet but here's a copypaste of my summary of the stream from discord:

new booster product meant to be quick-firing in the deckbuild/pregame sense but fun/deep in the play. each booster is a themed pack of 20 cards (theme like 'goblins' or 'discard' or 'doctor' or 'unicorns' or 'phyrexian') and the most basic form of play is get two boosters, shuffle together, and just play. cards are a mix of 37 new cards as spotfillers, some m21 cards, and ~400 reprints in modern frame. new cards and reprints are not standard legal but are eternal/commander legal.
packs will have a new art land based on the theme and a mix of reprints of other land arts (and non-basic lands were not ruled out)
basic intent is 'sometimes you just want to play without building a deck or sitting down for an entire draft/sealed pool'

46 themes total in 121 possible groupings, some themes only appear once or twice (so phyrexians appear once, walls similarly rare, cats more often). themes that appear multiple times will have dramatically different lists since you have a lot of leeway in something like 'cats' or 'spooky'

edit: oh there's the article https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/introducing-jumpstart-new-way-play-magic-2020-02-20

there are 121 possible 'packs;' they're double-wrapped and after you open the first one all you can see is an insert saying what the theme is and the color. Some themes are meant to be rare for various reasons (for example, you don't want to see walls every time you play and phyrexians are supposed to be Special) and they only appear in one grouping, while other themes are wider (cats, goblins, etc) and will appear in several (markedly different) groupings

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1230858206685036544

lmbo let's just throw more poo poo at the wall I guess

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Renowned company wizards of the coast still fails to understand that its player base just wants to play magic on mobile and not spinoffs (2020)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mossyfisk posted:

They stopped doing those, though.

oh, right

but the new higher price means those staples still wont be that cheap, right? unless they add super chase rares and pack openers drive all single prices down

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Framboise posted:

Renowned company wizards of the coast still fails to understand that its player base just wants to play magic on mobile and not spinoffs (2020)

Well good news, because Arena is coming to moble too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wouldn’t play magic on my cell phone even if I could m, it just sounds like a completely miserable gaming experience