Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Butua has great potential in Africa, and a small start: two province vassal, but with a gold mine and great ideas.

e: and also an associated cheevo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Orissa is really good too.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Ardabil is surprisingly strong for an OPM, can form Persia
Kaffa starts with a gold mine and can expand rapidly
Taungu has a fully unique mission tree and a challenging achievement to shoot for

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Butua has great potential in Africa, and a small start: two province vassal, but with a gold mine and great ideas.

e: and also an associated cheevo
I'm a lil mad you of all people suggested this before me as capping the Cape and looking east is mad fun before you then unite Africa and fucl up the colonizers

You could also go for an Asian Colonial Adventure: DDRJake did it with the Siberians but you can do it with a real nation too and it's surprisingly fun, especially or you manage to snag into Mexico and then fight further west not east

Also I had fun when I was Norway and had the rule to not control anything non-Arctic except with vassals

Final suggestion: Hisn Kayfs

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

butua in southeast africa has v good ideas and a lot of gold but you start at tech 2 without feudalism i think. also have to take exploration/expansion to really get going but on the pro side: can flip to horde

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh everyone said butua dang

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

a very hard start that few people even know about is getting sapmi rebels to spawn as novgorod and then doing vassal stuff to flip to them. unfortunately you inherit the republic government from novgorod so you can't flip to horde :negative:

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
me: let me play as korea-colonizing-north-america again surely unrest slash japan won't gently caress me
me: oh no
me again a week later: let me play as korea-colonizing-north-america again surely unrest slash japan won't gently caress me

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

open_sketchbook posted:

me: let me play as korea-colonizing-north-america again surely unrest slash japan won't gently caress me
me again a week later: let me play as korea-colonizing-north-america again surely unrest slash japan won't gently caress me

Closest I ever got to finishing a game was doing this it was great

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If the next update is the update of interface improvement I'd really like something telling me what bonuses each hindu god gives when using the change deity brahmins interaction.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

open_sketchbook posted:

The trick is to shiv Japan in the cradle. Especially if you're getting into colonizing, since they're all sqautting on your precious trade. It's not even hard: just nibble off Kyushu and/or Hokkaido, the daimyos typically have pathetic navies that won't dare challenge your glorious turtle ships.
Oh, and eat any daimyo that breaks free of Ashikaga immediately: it's basically free territory.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Japan has that pirate republic daimyo which likes to raid coasts... once, then their super lovely 3 development means the shogun effortlessly annexes them lol.

Speaking of failure and pirate republics my Gotland games did not go very well at all. Oh well. :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

It took me about 2 evenings of restarting to finally get Settsu occupied and the Shogun to declare war on me while Ming wasn't busy with the hordes to claim the Shogunate for myself. It's ridiculously dumb to take on an Ottoman empire with 350k troops as a medium-sized nation with 100 daimyos. The first two waves of the swarm army got wiped out by the insanely disciplined Ottoman death stacks. Then they just got overwhelmed and died the death of a hundred 6k armies bearing down on them.

Can't say my pc likes it though. Every war I declare adds 1-3 vassals and all the daimyo army movement makes it chug.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

EU4 should constrain the amount you can zoom in and out by how large your nation is

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any lets play/youtube channels you goons would recommend for learning this game? I've played Stellaris/CK2.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Gyshall posted:

Any lets play/youtube channels you goons would recommend for learning this game? I've played Stellaris/CK2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJfOQhpK30g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0RhTYcr778

This guy has a lot of guides on his channel for various things, and specific country guides as well, definitely helpful for a new player.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I had a few goes at Taungoo and God, it’s a brutal start. Any tips for not getting swatted down?

E: also finally got Mare Nostrum last week as Aragon-> Italy. That strategy where you cripple the Ottomans right at the start by no/CBing Byzantium is insanely effective.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I feel like a lot of beginner/intermediate players tried a No CB war, suffered for it and don't realise how powerful a tool it is because of it. The BYZ takeover is a good example but no-CBing into Ireland, to get into the bank of Africa are some great examples I can think of just offhand

Also colonial Korea shouldn't be taking exploration as a first idea: if you're not a pro at island strats you should be taking out the Pinoys and The Malacca/Molucca tradenode peeps in-between carving up your northern neighbours

Skipping Alaska for going straight to Cali or better yet Mexico is the superior option as unless they get a lot of gold they're literally only there for the merchant

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

New attempt at Gotland and it's going much better. Except France has blobbed into something monstrous and they've kept allying anyone I'm planning to attack. They must've had -2 or -3 diplo points from being so over realtions limit, all just to spite me. drat jerks.

Shiver me timbers! Raiding the Lübeck and English Channel nodes just gets more and more profitable every time. :homebrew:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so how do you best exploit doing a personal union on france during the first war as england? despite france always seeming strong when its an enemy of mine, as my vassal he seems to do gently caress all against anything stronger than brittany. taking its liberty desire below 50% so i can actually use france takes forever as well

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It might be broke/in debt from fighting you; you could try subsiding it. If nothing else its troops and forts should be good as distractions, which is all I ever like to rely on AI allies for (except for OPM/small starts where I swing an alliance with somebody big and use them as my attack dog)

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, just got the re-re-conquista starting as Granada. Amazingly I got it on the first attempt, though I feel like a significant amount of luck was involved. Started by sniping some land from Tlemcen early with the expectation that I'd get pushed out of iberia quickly. Instead an opportunity presented itself to go 2v1 vs portugal with morocco coming in for land. While this was going on Aragon attacked Castille who had no friends so I piled onto that, again offering land to Morocco. This got me much more of a foothold on the peninsula than I expected and basically neutered the threat of castille and portugal early on. Morocco was pretty mad at me because they did all the heavy lifting but I managed to get a quick alliance with Tunis and because Aragon suddenly became more interested in me because of my new spanish lands, the Ottomons flipped friendly and I got an easy Alliance with them which would last the whole game. As with most of these achievements I've tried that start in such a sketchy position (i.e. Byzantium) its all about winning the first few wars. After that it was really fairly easy, minus a few coalitions that threatened to fire but never did. The ottomans are pretty scary this game, I was getting a bit bored but if I hadn't been they would have been a massive final boss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1227594895747141632

Dear paradox, please add new achievement: "Long Chile"

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

Would work better for Victoria 3, I feel like a lot of people have tried that in V2.

Also, please make Victoria 3. please

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Is anyone here interested in a weekday eu4 multiplayer chillgame, on a european-friendly timeslot? Yes, if you're in the mapgoons server, I did blatantly steal Saros' idea.

The current timeslot I'm envisioning is wednesdays at 7pm GMT, starting 2 weeks from now.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Dance Officer posted:

Is anyone here interested in a weekday eu4 multiplayer chillgame, on a european-friendly timeslot? Yes, if you're in the mapgoons server, I did blatantly steal Saros' idea.

The current timeslot I'm envisioning is wednesdays at 7pm GMT, starting 2 weeks from now.

I'd be down for that.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Did not cede the upper peninsula of Michigan to Wisconsin. F- See me after class.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My Gotland pirate game has gone pretty good. Due to the delicious coastlines in the Baltic and North Sea I've had to expand east and southeast into the steppe and reached the Caspian Sea at Nogay (which I obviously renamed to Yesgay). Come to think of it, I just took a Black Sea coastal province from Poland so I got a port there. A shame all that wealthy Constantinople gold is covered by an ally. But they've been nice to me so I won't betray them.

I've slowly converted 95% of Scandinavia to Sami culture, because I could. Gotland itself has 60 development so it took a while. Are there any norse sagas about marauding bands of reindeer riders/sailors?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

"Longer Chile" and include the east coast too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

UI feature request: make the Demand Imperial Territory action say who the territory will be returned to. Right now it says the Emperor but that's entirely wrong, it goes back to whoever they conquered it from.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dublish posted:

"Longer Chile" and include the east coast too.

Like a reverse Switzerlake, own every coastal province in the Americas without owning any non-coastal provinces.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Turned out there was enough interest in a weekday eurogame. If you want to play, sign up here. The game starts on wednesday the 4th of March, at 19:00 GMT. We'll play weekly, till we hit 1821.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pewdiepie posted:

Did not cede the upper peninsula of Michigan to Wisconsin. F- See me after class.

I am a recovering academic who once taught on a University of California campus. One of the classes I was forced to teach was an introduction to Political Science course, which had a political geography component.

Now, I was always astounded that some of my students would, on a test, do things like identify Ireland as Germany or France (once I had a student identify France as Thailand), or other nonsense; however, the most amazing thing ever once happened...

I always put Canada on the political geography class as a gimmie; except this one time, I had a student misidentify Canada as El Salvador... and before you ask, this student had an American accent and a very American name, which I would share... but, you know, FERPA.

Edit

I wish I could do these sort of non-historical colonized/non-European starts. I would have gotten years more of gameplay out of EUIV. I just cannot do it, because try as I might my brain always short circuits my fun by yelling at me, “there is no way the Aztecs would have ever turned Europe into a colony,” etc.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 20, 2020

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Listening to The King and I and jamming as Ayutthaya. Going for Quest for the New World, need to investigate these rumors of a land full of sausage and beans.

Sage Grimm posted:

If you go further west, maybe you'll find the mythical island full of bangers and mash!

hehehe

ZombieLenin posted:

I wish I could do these sort of non-historical colonized/non-European starts. I would have gotten years more of gameplay out of EUIV. I just cannot do it, because try as I might my brain always short circuits my fun by yelling at me, “there is no way the Aztecs would have ever turned Europe into a colony,” etc.

Most of the time, you'll have your hands full fending off colonies from dozens of European states while scrapping for monarch points. New World runs are always interesting, Atlantic coast is easier than Pacific coast, depending where you start there may be some unique mechanics.

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 21, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you go further west, maybe you'll find the mythical island full of bangers and mash!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

I’ve been playing the Anbennar fantasy mod lately. It still mostly plays like EU4 but in a fantasy world with a completely new map. It’s still very much unfinished with large chunks of the map as wasteland and a lot of provinces called PROV3025 etc around the fringes but what’s there is pretty fun if you want to mix up your EU4 a bit. The more finished stuff is centred around the human/elven/halfling HRE equivalent and a couple of other not-European powers. You can also be orc hordes or the recently-added dwarves who live in cave provinces in the mountains or kobolds or a bunch of other fantasy races. The “new” world is the rediscovered Ancient Elven Homeland basically ripped straight out of Tolkien and there’s tags there you can play but I haven’t tried them yet. I’m sure you could invade not-Europe with them though without breaking credibility like Sunset Invasion runs in vanilla though.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 21, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's not really any way the real timurids snake into Delhi and suddenly become the strongest nation in history by changing their flag. There's no way England wins the HYW and doesn't either disintegrate into two kingdoms again or become Mega France. Hell, there's really no way England incorporates the scottish highlands as an afterthought in 1465, and that's easy as piss to do in-game. There's no way the romans use mercenaries, Skanderbeg, "loans," and a very tricksy navy to helplessly strand the entire ottoman army, nor is there any way they bounce from that to retaking the mediterranean and then celebrate the victory by abandoning more than a millennium of hellenic language administration for latin and re-hoist the banners of SPQR. There's no way the mongols pull a complete reversal and overrun Ming in the 1500s. There's no way iberians conquer Morocco by 1500.

Aztec invasions are as plausible as anything else in EU4.

e: and yeah I stan for "historical realism" sometimes in this thread but I like it for gameplay reasons- like I want the steppe hordes, or the mamluks, or France, to have serious reforms and challenges in 1444, and THEN you reap the benefits and start rampaging.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 21, 2020

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

What's the best country to "stan" in India ? I still haven't figured that out.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

My ultimate goal is to accurately portray the effects of disease on the native population, possibly by increasing starting dev in the Americas and scripting events that can decimate it after first contact, including completely depopulating provinces that lose enough dev. Another thought would be to have events that empty manpower pools or something of that nature.

A comedy-yet-possibly-useful thought here: "Plague" as an Institution that starts out already established in the Eurasian countries but at 0 in the Americas, and that's purely negative, with development-destroying events that pop up at certain breakpoints as it advances. That way you get to piggyback off the mechanics for spread from neighbor to neighbor, especially if you put the advancement rate really high compared to the other institutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Couple of days old but I haven't seen this dev diary posted yet.

Highlights:

- New "Introduce Heir" option for monarchies. (Requires DLC)

Groogy posted:

Requirements to use this is:
Not in a Regency
Not at War
Positive Prestige
At least 90 Legitimacy

Using it will cost you 20 Legitimacy and 20 Prestige but give you an heir with a local dynasty not of your current one with weak claim to the throne.

- :siren: Core All button :siren:

- Mousing over the flag shield in the diplo screen now highlights them on the map

- See subjects' mission screens and better mission tooltips

- Generals have a visible age now

- :siren: Rulers no longer have double death by aging chance while leading troops :siren:

- New NIs for Denmark

- Some changes to the new governing capacity stuff

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 21, 2020