Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Der-Wreck posted:

Oh man, was that the bit where he's the preppy friend of Raven's family?

He was James, a clean and sober gentleman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96stndsnkH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Kanyon's flip bump into the pool was the true greatest night in the history of our sport.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao i forgot about that flip, oh my god

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Preppy boy Tyler would have been better than Hardcore Hak.

Heck Raven trying to redo The Flock with his preppy friends and getting exasperated with them would have owned.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

coconono posted:

He was fired because the Undertaker caught him taking a nap at the arena.

FWIW Shane Douglas, when he's not in the throws of drug addiction is actually a pretty chill guy. I met one of his former students and they had nothing but high praise for him.

ECW's legacy is a bunch of addicts struggling to stay clean.
Yeah, as best I can tell, Douglas is generally a pretty decent dude. And while he's beat to hell, if you see him booked on a local indie show, you can trust that he will do everything in his power, via shtick or whatever other veteran tricks he has, to make a match out of it and not leave you disappointed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

As someone who never watched ECW, this is the best thing I've ever seen Sandman in.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why do we call him surfer Sting? When I think of surfers, I don't think of a body builder with a bleached flat-top wearing a Sgt. Pepper jacket.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
because he was totally rad man

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Why do we call him surfer Sting? When I think of surfers, I don't think of a body builder with a bleached flat-top wearing a Sgt. Pepper jacket.

Bleach blond hair, being from Venice Beach, California, and his promo style being punctuated more by an energy rather than a verbiage seem to lead to a light surf vibe to me.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surge was the best WCW sponsor

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

because he does this

he does that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It originates from a typo, he was meant to be called Suffer Sting because he was being crushed under the existential horror of existence, but WCW being WCW just ran with the typo.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 22, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Beach blast when he and Davey boy were hanging on the beach with their surf boards. Now sting is a cripple and davey boy is dead so maybe they shouldn’t have gone that day.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

karmicknight posted:

Bleach blond hair, being from Venice Beach, California, and his promo style being punctuated more by an energy rather than a verbiage seem to lead to a light surf vibe to me.

All the bright colors in his face paint helped too. Very late 80’s/early 90’s rad boy look.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd kinda love to see the universe where Hogan didn't show up and bury Austin and try to bury Pillman.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TheKingslayer posted:

I'd kinda love to see the universe where Hogan didn't show up and bury Austin and try to bury Pillman.

I thought Hogan wanted to work a program with Pillman. Yes, he'd have been buried and I think he left before that would have happened anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I thought Hogan wanted to work a program with Pillman. Yes, he'd have been buried and I think he left before that would have happened anyway.

How I remember it is that Hogan wanted Pillman added to the Doomsday Cage match at Uncensored as he was getting great reactions after the whole "I respect you booker man" bit at the previous PPV. So Pillman scheduled throat surgery to remove some polyps to ensure he'd not be available for the show. He did have to do the surgery at some point but I don't think he would have gotten it that soon if not for the Doomsday Cage

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They always grew back when he removed them, so it was just kind of a thing he had to do every so often

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Just his body always having a defense against Hogan, no biggie

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Two questions for you folks:

1) Rick Steiner’s “It’s not my fault” from WCW Superbrawl Wrestling (SNES): what was this in reference to?

2) Was “He got a bicycle!” organic, or was that planned?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

the bike itself might have been planted but Dusty's famous line seems like it was organic, he's so pleasantly surprised by it

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

1) Rick Steiner’s “It’s not my fault” from WCW Superbrawl Wrestling (SNES): what was this in reference to?

I have no idea what the Steiner line (heh) was about, and I can’t find anything online. The closest I see is Dave taking about how the 1991 Impel trading cards listed that as a catchphrase of his, so maybe that’s what it’s based off of.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

1: Time Traveler Mike Knox

2: Dusty was just as surprised as everyone else.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

haunted bong posted:

1: Time Traveler Mike Knox

Gene Snitsky, you mean.

How dare you confuse these totally distinct characters :v:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've noticed an alarming lack of Alex Wright pictures, what's going on?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not sure, but remember at this time in his career, Rick Steiner was a lovable goofball who had previously taken managerial advice from a hand puppet named Alex, and had a pet fly named Spike.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Heel Alex Wright owned

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thank you and all but why did you crop out the best part?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thank you and all but why did you crop out the best part?

I didn't make it :shrug:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

karmicknight posted:

hulk hogan: surfer gimmick, one of the most over babyfaces ever

sting: surfer gimmick, one of the most over babyfaces ever

hmm... Maybe there's something to this surfing thing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Low Desert Punk posted:

what if we stuck a surfboard on wheels

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

Sting was never one of the most over babyfaces ever, sadly. He had a good run that led to one great PPV buyrate, other than that, he was never a draw on top.

Just in my heart :negative:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Randaconda posted:

Sting was never one of the most over babyfaces ever, sadly. He had a good run that led to one great PPV buyrate, other than that, he was never a draw on top.

Just in my heart :negative:

still trying to find out how this happened because Sting was a huge thing back in the day. I def saw more surfer Sting facepaint than I did Hogan costumes early 90s halloweens

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

still trying to find out how this happened because Sting was a huge thing back in the day. I def saw more surfer Sting facepaint than I did Hogan costumes early 90s halloweens

Probably a mixture of booking, promotion, and him never being all that good at on the mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Sting was super over with kids, I believe, but otherwise not a great fit for WCW's emphasis on athletic competition and Souther rasslin'. And he was booked in some really goofy and bad angles.