Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fino and Manzanilla will only be good for a week after being opened, so drink up.
Amontillado will last you 2-3 weeks opened, Olorosso and cream sherries will be good for a month opened and Pedro Ximenez will stay good for a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Strongly disagree with both of the last two posts! Cream and oloroso are both nicer with a chill on them IMO, and it'll preserve them longer. And what in the world would make fino and manzanilla more fragile than vermouth? One week is frankly ridiculous.

For the home bar, one month as a general guideline is sensible for all fortified wines. In restaurants and bars you probably want it fresher-tasting, but in that context you're moving through it fast enough that it isn't an issue.

...Seriously, what in the world is going to happen to a bottle of fino in a week?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

prayer group posted:

...Seriously, what in the world is going to happen to a bottle of fino in a week?

A teenager drinks it and cuts it with water

Every day booze goes undrank is another day a teenager can get at it. You don't even need to keep one in the house, they just show up through a window or something. Dang teenagers.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Please refrigerate all aromatized and oxidized wines. Please.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
So, being a person whose food consumption far outstrips their food preparation skills, I eat a lot of stuff like eggs, tuna, etc. However I realized on Wednesday of this week, that starting on Monday, I had eaten 15 (!!!!) Eggs in various forms (scrambled, deviled, sandwiched, fried, etc.). Will I die if I continue that trend? And any ideas for alternatives that are as brainless and delicious as eggs?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DildenAnders posted:

So, being a person whose food consumption far outstrips their food preparation skills, I eat a lot of stuff like eggs, tuna, etc. However I realized on Wednesday of this week, that starting on Monday, I had eaten 15 (!!!!) Eggs in various forms (scrambled, deviled, sandwiched, fried, etc.). Will I die if I continue that trend? And any ideas for alternatives that are as brainless and delicious as eggs?
You're going to die no matter what you do. I am not sure exactly what your level of "brainless" is - making deviled eggs is actually a pretty involved process. If you're willing to do that much work you can cook almost any food. Stir-fries, soups, etc.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

By brainless do you mean quick to prepare on the spot? Eggs are kind of hard to beat in that category if you're starting from fresh but there are infinity make-ahead recipes you could prepare on a weekend and keep on hand. Currently my freezer has some 'ragu' I made with TVP, green vegan pozole, and two kinds of quiche, all of which can be made hot and ready in just a few minutes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

Other than the cholesterol eggs are pretty good for you. So if you limit your fat intake from other sources you should be fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are you people leave thyme in people or pick thyme out people

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If i leave it on the stem, out.
If i picked it clean, in.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I pick the leaves before putting in, then leave in.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Im all about using cheesecloth to make a satchet of herbs, then removing that. But I sometimes mince fresh thyme off the stem and that obviously doesnt get removed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
While I was in Cabo last weekend I made the mistake of turning on a Mexican cooking show halfway through, and despite my poor understanding of Spanish was enchanted by the things the chef who looked sort of like an older Mexican Guy Fierri and acted sort of like a Mexican Emeril was doing with suadero. Unfortunately because I came in midway through, I did not get to watch the part where he prepared the suadero itself, just the art where he was making tacos and torts and salads out of it and salsas to put on top of them. Does anyone here have a good suadero recipe?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I've built up almost enough reward points to buy a stand mixer. Trying to decide between the Artisan tilt head vs the Pro drop bowl. I hear the larger Pro doesn't work great for smaller batches. Anyone have experience to attest to that?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

captkirk posted:

I've built up almost enough reward points to buy a stand mixer. Trying to decide between the Artisan tilt head vs the Pro drop bowl. I hear the larger Pro doesn't work great for smaller batches. Anyone have experience to attest to that?

I've heard the Artisan's mechanism isn't as robust, and the planetary gear on mine went out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pro is the way to go

although my 11+ yo artisan has been doing fine

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I used a food processor to make a Thai curry paste and long story short, it was more chunky than it should be (lemongrass and galangal being the issues).

In the past, I'd used a blender (not having had a food processor at the time) and it was fine.

So, my question is: is a food processor an appropriate tool? Should I have added (more) water? Should I be using a blender? I know that, given my previous positive experience with a blender that maybe the answer is already clear but I'm asking mostly to clarify about the food processor.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I used a food processor to make a Thai curry paste and long story short, it was more chunky than it should be (lemongrass and galangal being the issues).

In the past, I'd used a blender (not having had a food processor at the time) and it was fine.

So, my question is: is a food processor an appropriate tool? Should I have added (more) water? Should I be using a blender? I know that, given my previous positive experience with a blender that maybe the answer is already clear but I'm asking mostly to clarify about the food processor.

I vaguely recall some very passionate answers to this involving using a mortar and pestle when making curry paste.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nephzinho posted:

I vaguely recall some very passionate answers to this involving using a mortar and pestle when making curry paste.

I think that would take way too much work. I just mean, I'm making quite a bit.. would have to have several batches in the mortar.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You really should use a mortar and pestle and it's less work than you'd think.

E: get a bigger mortar and pestle

Sextro fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 24, 2020

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Has anyone got a tried and tested, actually nice, vegan cake recipe? The last one I tried was terrible and made me sad for vegans.

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.

Scientastic posted:

Has anyone got a tried and tested, actually nice, vegan cake recipe? The last one I tried was terrible and made me sad for vegans.

Here's a link to a vegan recipe for chocolate cake that I'm a fan of. The glaze is worth making as well. (I don't mix the ingredients directly in the pan like they say to, because stirring cake batter in a square pan is weird and messy, but it does work if you do that.)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Serious eats usually does ok, but this is from years back, ymmv.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/cakespy-chocolate-avocado-cake-with-avocado-buttercream-frosting-cake-recipe.html

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Scientastic posted:

What kind of cake? This is great (I add a pinch of salt and I grease the pan with tahini rather than grease, and I sometimes use pine nuts on top instead). If you want chocolate, I usually make depression cake (I use canola oil and I don't use that glaze recipe, I just make a simple ganache with chocolate chips, non-dairy milk, and Chambord).

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
How would you work your way through ~11 lbs of dried tart cherries?
- scones
- biscotti
- pie filling
- granola
- ???

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Olive! posted:

How would you work your way through ~11 lbs of dried tart cherries?
- scones
- biscotti
- pie filling
- granola
- ???
My HANDS and my MOUTH. 11 pounds of dried fruit of any kind is the subject of my wildest fantasies.

Anyways I don't have any suggestions that aren't already on your list except fruitcake, chicha morada, this, and this. But, please be comforted by the fact that I would swap lives with you without a second thought.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Vegan cake is hard, but vegan chocolate pie is easy:

14 oz. soft/silken tofu
1/2 cup to 1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt

4 oz hot fresh coffee
12 oz. melted baking chocolate

Refined Coconut oil as needed to adjust consistency

Blender or Food processor

Mix that poo poo up, pour into vegan pie shell, refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Ideas for a pound of fresh fresno chilis?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Ideas for a pound of fresh fresno chilis?

Depends on if you want to use them all at once, or have something that keeps.

If you want a "one shot" then I'd chop them and make salsa.

If you want something that you can keep as a condiment, then roast them, grind them into a paste with some olive oil, vinegar, and salt. Maybe some other spices if you want to get creative. Then put that in a jar and use it to season/dress other food.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why does almost every pizza recipe tell you to smack the oven on it's hottest temp? I've never had luck with that method. Thick pizzas burn, thin pizzas cook too quickly. I just had a pizza where I was gentler with the oven temp (180c) and it was able to cook for 15 mins: cheese was perfect, dough was soft and cooked-through that isn't dense or doughy. Same dough I used yesterday for a pizza at hottest temp my oven goes, but completely opposite experience. I use a pizza steel. Is it because my oven is fan assisted? Should I do pizza with the fan off?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 25, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Qubee posted:

Why does almost every pizza recipe tell you to smack the oven on it's hottest temp? I've never had luck with that method. Thick pizzas burn, thin pizzas cook too quickly. I just had a pizza where I was gentler with the oven temp (180c) and it was able to cook for 15 mins: cheese was perfect, dough was soft and cooked-through that isn't dense or doughy. Same dough I used yesterday for a pizza at hottest temp my oven goes, but completely opposite experience. I use a pizza steel. Is it because my oven is fan assisted? Should I do pizza with the fan off?

I watched Eat the World with Emeril and episode 5 is about pizza. The Italian chef put the pizza in the oven for 90 seconds or so.

That is only tangentially related to your question but I'm sure it also has to do with, for example, whether you're making a frozen pizza or have fresh dough, etc.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you're either overtopping or likely have the stone low in the oven. Part of the problem with home ovens is that it's hard to cook the top at the same speed as the bottom. If you have a top broiler you should be using that too.

Although TBH I'm not sure how you're burning thick pizzas. You should be using a pan with those.

/e-
Thin, oven for 2.5-3 mins. I had a weak broiler with this oven.

Thick. I no longer have a top broiler so I do pan pizzas

Both 220c ish

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 26, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

I am not a pizza scientist, just a pizza obsessive so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

I think the fan is actually your problem. Youre not getting hot enough to cook the interior of the crust with infrared heat from a direct flame/heat from the walls, but youre setting the exterior almost instantly with the high temp fan. Thats gonna keep it dense and wet. The same is true for youre sauce/interior toppings.

Youre cooking things by convectively heating the exterior, and having that conductively heat the interior. The fan is increasing that convective cooking, but not the conductive(as much), throwing it out of balance.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Took my knives in to get sharpened today and the guy asked me what restaurant I worked for because I actually bothered washing and wrapping my knives in a dish towel before bringing them in. 80% sure he was just trying to flatter me but if he does a decent job sharpening my knives he definitely earned a repeat customer.

For question content: How much tomato-ey sauce should there be for chicken cacciatore? The recipe I followed seemed to almost be like a tomato stew with a bit of chicken and I'm not sure if that's normal.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Qubee posted:

The hotter the better. If my oven would go to 500 I'd set it at 500 and only bake the pizza for a few seconds. Try it without the fan.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If I have some chicken breast in the fridge that was due to be used by 23rd but was in the freezer for 3 days it should be fine to cook and eat tonight right?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Butterfly Valley posted:

If I have some chicken breast in the fridge that was due to be used by 23rd but was in the freezer for 3 days it should be fine to cook and eat tonight right?

As always with these questions, employ the smell test.
Does it smell bad?
If not, then its fine, meat really lets you know when it has gone bad.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I saw this earlier and thought it might be worth a shot, but for all the obvious reasons I couldn't find cherries at the store. I was thinking I could sub in a mango or maybe some other stone fruit like a plum. Mangos and chillis are bros but the mango might be overpowering. On the other hand I don't know if plum has the punch needed to break through all the other strong flavors.

https://food52.com/recipes/58336-braised-pork-in-lazy-cherry-ancho-mole

edit: went ahead and tried the sauce since I had a mango on hand and was only missing the almonds. My theory that the mango would overwhelm was completely unfettered from reality, although I did end up doubling the chipotle peppers. I wasn't thrilled with the sauce until I realized I had forgotten to add the cumin at which point it became amazing. Got the pork in the instant pot with half of it, going to serve the rest on the side or maybe brush it on for the crisping step.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 27, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Scientastic posted:

I made thisfor my birthday and everyone was impressed. I bake at elevation and these are my notes:

quote:

There is a different page on the site adapting it for cupcakes. Its just half a recipe I think. I made the batter a bit thicker, maybe an extra 1/4 cup, and a bit less leavening - maybe 1/8 of a unit for each. Otherwise they sunk in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Happiness Commando posted:

I made thisfor my birthday and everyone was impressed. I bake at elevation and these are my notes:
Eggs are not vegan, unfortunately.