Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

People complaining about remedy have obviously never been subjected to an actual truly awful ticketing system like Succeed or Cherwell.

I used to manage the backend db and app servers for the remedy implementation at <oldjob x 2>, and let me tell you, it's a loving dream compared to the two other shitfests I've had to deal with.

Get some horsepower behind the DB, and competent development staff behind the panels and it's quite reasonable.

It's not great, because all ticketing systems suck in their own unique and awful ways, but it's a drat sight better than many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Sometimes I feel like I have no right to complain considering the bullshit we pull on our customers, but at the same time, some good old fashioned NOC to NOC communication would be nice. I would never put another MSO through the same communications line as our customers.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlexDeGruven posted:

People complaining about remedy have obviously never been subjected to an actual truly awful ticketing system like Succeed or Cherwell.

I used to manage the backend db and app servers for the remedy implementation at <oldjob x 2>, and let me tell you, it's a loving dream compared to the two other shitfests I've had to deal with.

Get some horsepower behind the DB, and competent development staff behind the panels and it's quite reasonable.

It's not great, because all ticketing systems suck in their own unique and awful ways, but it's a drat sight better than many.

like, 10 or so years ago I worked for Geek Squad. You want some awful ticketing systems? Try the in-house developed Best Buy one.

Random options in certain drop downs didn't work. Instead of crashing the ticket system, it would crash the entire computer. Which was also a POS machine, so it took like a half hour to reboot. The whole department has 2 POS machines. Good luck, and be very, very careful where you click.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

chin up everything sucks posted:

Tier 1 IT doesn't date. They are subhuman.

Thus why they have simulators

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chin up everything sucks posted:

Tier 1 IT doesn't date. They are subhuman.

They actually do, but it's only indeterminately in the future.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

AlexDeGruven posted:

gently caress Cherwell

gently caress poorly implemented instances of Cherwell

gently caress Cherwell

Cherwell makes me miss Supportworks

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Laughing/crying we are moving to Cherwell from CA Service Desk. I'm lucky in that I don't get 'user' tickets, but from what I've seen it's hilariously bad at being a ticket system. Perhaps it doesn't help that the implementing team is made up of people that were bad at their other jobs, and have a limited ability to see beyond their own noses. In the end I imagine we'll have two ticketing systems, and no one will know which one to use.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

porktree posted:

Laughing/crying we are moving to Cherwell from CA Service Desk. I'm lucky in that I don't get 'user' tickets, but from what I've seen it's hilariously bad at being a ticket system. Perhaps it doesn't help that the implementing team is made up of people that were bad at their other jobs, and have a limited ability to see beyond their own noses. In the end I imagine we'll have two ticketing systems, and no one will know which one to use.

We have a 4-5 person team dedicated to maintaining Cherwell, and you still can't find anything in the search. They had a 3 hour class a few weeks ago trying to teach people how to search the ticket DB, and it just confused everyone more.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Cherwell is bad

Cherwell implemented well is bad

Cherwell implemented poorly is a black hole of suck from which there is no escape.

Guess which one we have.

And if someone chimes in with "if you know it's done poorly, then do it right" I'm gonna choke a bitch, so help me.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
Continuing my own Cherwell hate:

Why Shitewell??? Why do you need all that RAM when you're doing NOTHING. I have my dashboard open and that's it, one single window.
And why does the API take 30 seconds PER REQUEST? "Oh it's your proxy, we don't support proxy connections to our API" - gently caress off.

Also, to the Cherwell "In House Consultant". Why did you feel the need to shout at me when I was trying to customize the dashboard to show information I needed? Why did you publicly scream at me that I was going to make changes to the global Dashboards, but then whisper your apology when you realized I didn't have any access because I'm just a dumb gently caress user of this abomination.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

We have a 4-5 person team dedicated to maintaining Cherwell, and you still can't find anything in the search. They had a 3 hour class a few weeks ago trying to teach people how to search the ticket DB, and it just confused everyone more.

Search is SO BAD.

Also: Who thought defaulting to "Open Tickets Only" in web searches was a good idea? It doesn't in the fat client (which I use via VDI now when I have to lower myself to using the shitbag), so someone had to actively say "Nah, nobody's going to want to search for old poo poo".

I didn't attend the search class, because I knew it was just going to piss me off worse.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Renegret posted:

We have a nightmare of a remedy implementation here. The current problem with it is that the company doesn't want to pay the money it takes for someone to fix it, so we're constantly hiring new remedy developers who get in over their heads, they make a few minor changes or bug fixes, and two weeks later they leave and the cycle repeats.

My favorite quirk is that the dropdowns on the web interface are not scrollable, so you have to click and hold the tiny up/down arrows. Or you can jump to a letter by typing a key, but that only works for the first letter of that search. On all of our tickets, we can associate a piece of equipment to the ticket, except we have hundreds of thousands of entries in that database. So...have fun holding the down arrow for several minutes to wade through the thousand devices that start with the letter F. We just leave that field blank.

Ah this was an issue with their remedy implementation too, which is why the drop downs were made somewhat smaller by the CAB manager, at least for the poo poo I touched.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Jeezus, this sounds like the time I was working on the new hires/terminations team, and I'd been charged with building our automation scripts. :yayclod: is a pretty drat big company, so the only feasible way for 2-3 people to do all the new hires that come in every week is by feeding CSVs into a Powershell hopper and letting that build AD accounts and set off triggers to other systems.

Then we got a cold call from an apps team, who said they'd come up with a great new way for us to make new users! Instead of dumping a CSV from HR, adjusting some columns, and feeding it into my script, they had this great new system! All we had to do was manually enter every field by hand, aside from a few drop downs, of course, and then hit submit.

For every.

Single.

New hire.

Basically, they gave us the equivalent of one of those job search sites where you can upload your resume, but then you also have to copy and paste its contents into individual fields. Not only did they build this thing without asking if we needed it, they proudly presented it to us from a big board room in HQ with a slide deck and demo and everything. Never asked us for our input, of course, but they were just so thrilled that they'd figured out how to make our lives easier! Obviously we would fall to our knees before our new solution builders!

They reported us to management when we laughed and told them to gently caress off. Management talked to us and went back and said, "I'm not sure why you expected a different response."

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

stevewm posted:

This is just AT&T working as designed.

Edit: A business we acquired a year ago had "Business In A Box" service from AT&T. It was just a T1 with a all-in-one box that split out analog phone lines and internet. We where having problems making outbound calls one day, so I attempted to call support. The option to speak with "Business In A Box Support" just automatically hung up on you. And if anyone from any other department transferred you to it, it did the same. Absolutely no one I talked to at ATT could help, they could only transfer me to that department, and no one knew how to get a hold of them any other way. After trying the entire day to get through to someone, the problem fixed itself.

A coworker has been fighting AT&T for months on a circuit. What we want to:
1. Install new 1gig internet circuit.
2. Cancel DS3 that now old enough to almost be graduated from high school.

He has been working on this since August. When this started, he contacted our 3 internet carriers about this upgrade. The local company had our circuit upgraded in less then a week.
CenturyLink in just over a month.
AT&T, 2 weeks ago. Mind you, Clink is the last mile here anyway, so all the difficult work was on their end.

He tried to cancel the DS3. Apparently the only name on the account is someone who left 8 years ago. AT&T refuses to talk to anyone but them, or someone higher in the company. So now we are waiting to have the CTO talk to them, in the hopes that we can change that.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Cherwell is horrible, the worst ticketing system I've ever used. I am also the only one who paid attention or asked questions in the brief training class we took, so my entire team comes to me for help setting it up and using it.

Also, there's no Mac client and some of my team use Macs, and you can't edit the dashboard in the web client, so I have to use one of my laptops to get their dashboards set up.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

guppy posted:

Cherwell is horrible, the worst ticketing system I've ever used. I am also the only one who paid attention or asked questions in the brief training class we took, so my entire team comes to me for help setting it up and using it.

Also, there's no Mac client and some of my team use Macs, and you can't edit the dashboard in the web client, so I have to use one of my laptops to get their dashboards set up.

Who decided on using it? Sounds like you're going to need to give people a thinclient or second computer to rdp/run windows lol, or give everyone surfaces

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Not only did they build this thing without asking if we needed it, they proudly presented it to us from a big board room in HQ with a slide deck and demo and everything. Never asked us for our input, of course, but they were just so thrilled that they'd figured out how to make our lives easier! Obviously we would fall to our knees before our new solution builders!

This is amazing. How anybody calls themselves the 'app team' and build something that requires manual input is incredible.

Why not spend the tiny bit of time required to dump HR data programmatically, translate it to the AD schema, and tee off the powershell import? No, let's not reduce user input, let's expand it and be more error prone!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lol if your app team ever has time to do anything other than chase some director's ever changing FOTM, being forced to release half finished buggy products with no user input other than the director's best (and wrong) guess on the staff's use cases before being required to change gears before they can go back and fix it.

I have a lot of sympathy for our app team because they're rockstars who are understaffed and overworked.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Renegret posted:

like, 10 or so years ago I worked for Geek Squad. You want some awful ticketing systems? Try the in-house developed Best Buy one.

Random options in certain drop downs didn't work. Instead of crashing the ticket system, it would crash the entire computer. Which was also a POS machine, so it took like a half hour to reboot. The whole department has 2 POS machines. Good luck, and be very, very careful where you click.

Back around 2005/6it was STAR. A Visualbasic program developed to handle car repairs that was used as their repair depot work order tracking.

When Geek Squad rolled out they used the same system. It couldn't handle that many random database transactions so they made it buffer and then batch process them every 15 minutes.

STAR wasn't too bad. I got pretty drat fast at generating new work orders. They built some web front end to it eventually that I never used.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I need to be euthanized or not, but I'm at the point where I'm just not able to understand how to make complex Powershell scripts and thinking I might be better off looking at a management track. I don't really have a coding mindset and anything other than "I've done a get command that dumped what I need to a CSV, now I can create a foreach loop to iterate through that CSV and do Cmdlet X" is just a hell of programmer terminology.

I think I'm one of those people that learns new stuff best if I have situational exercises that approach the new content from different examples, but that stopped being a thing in high school and nobody does classes anymore. I was able do to Powershell in a Month of Lunches but combine complex Powershell with the utter illogic (at least to me) of ARM templates and Azure Policy, and I'm thinking I at least understand what this stuff can do but I can't do it, I should probably at least be able to manage people who can in order to achieve a goal.

I have no passion for management but it looks like if I want to be anything more than an Azure sysadmin in terms of the technical track, it's a shift in skills and mindset that I don't think I can really do.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Laranzu posted:

Back around 2005/6it was STAR. A Visualbasic program developed to handle car repairs that was used as their repair depot work order tracking.

When Geek Squad rolled out they used the same system. It couldn't handle that many random database transactions so they made it buffer and then batch process them every 15 minutes.

STAR wasn't too bad. I got pretty drat fast at generating new work orders. They built some web front end to it eventually that I never used.

It was still STAR while I worked there from 2010-2012. At that point there was no DB issues but STAR was used for everything that came in. The problem is that they over-engineered it over time so that everything was done through STAR, but they didn't bother supporting or removing obsolete functionality. There was no real way to enter comments other than the initial comments when you opened the ticket, which was limited to about the size of a tweet. Needed to communicate something to the service center? You're poo poo out of luck (not that they read the notes anyway, they were incredibly terrible). Most of our internal ticket updating was done through sticky notes. Part ordering was done through STAR too, and it was woefully ill equipped for that. Half the time the customers got the wrong or incompatible parts, though a lot of that was the incompetence of the service center.

Shipping was done through STAR too. So at the end of the day you're rushing to get your closing duties done and get out, you're shipping labels as fast as possible. Except once you generated and printed a shipping label, there was no way to get back to it. Printer failed? Computer crashed? You're poo poo out of luck, that computer is now stuck in a shipped state but you don't have a label to actually ship it. You can't even close the ticket at that point, you'd need to open a ticket with IT to get it overridden. Also, to ship an item you had to select an option in one of the dropdowns, but the options both one above and one below the option to ship didn't work and would crash the POS machine if selected. Shipping was my main beef with STAR.

The front end they replaced it with around 06 was called Phoenix, which was so terrible that nobody used it and eventually it was discontinued. Around the time I left, they started to replace it with a System called NOVA. I never used NOVA outside of it's earliest infancy, but from what I was told by friends after I left, it worked by scheduling appointments with "clients" and agents. It was an effort to remove wait times and instead give people scheduled times to come in and not have any wait, but it completely did not work in practice in high volume stores like mine. The shortest appointment you could book was 30 minutes, which means each agent had a hard limit of 16 bookings they could do in a day. Customer needs a phone swapped out under the service plan? You still need to put in a 30 minute appointment even though the transaction takes less than 5. You flat out can not create a service order without an appointment, so agents generally didn't book appointments until they knew they needed a service order. So in practice, a customer would walk in without an appointment, stand in line anyway, do their thing, then when they were leaving their paperwork would state that their appointment was 6 hours in the future, and be told to just ignore it. Most people spent more time wrestling with NOVA than they did actually helping customers.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 21, 2020

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MJP posted:

I'm not sure if I need to be euthanized or not, but I'm at the point where I'm just not able to understand how to make complex Powershell scripts and thinking I might be better off looking at a management track. I don't really have a coding mindset and anything other than "I've done a get command that dumped what I need to a CSV, now I can create a foreach loop to iterate through that CSV and do Cmdlet X" is just a hell of programmer terminology.

I think I'm one of those people that learns new stuff best if I have situational exercises that approach the new content from different examples, but that stopped being a thing in high school and nobody does classes anymore. I was able do to Powershell in a Month of Lunches but combine complex Powershell with the utter illogic (at least to me) of ARM templates and Azure Policy, and I'm thinking I at least understand what this stuff can do but I can't do it, I should probably at least be able to manage people who can in order to achieve a goal.

I have no passion for management but it looks like if I want to be anything more than an Azure sysadmin in terms of the technical track, it's a shift in skills and mindset that I don't think I can really do.

Learning the logic to programming is the entire challenge of the endeavor. Syntax is "easy". So what I'm saying is, you're stuck on the same thing everyone else was at one point. I find it's mostly the ability the break down the "big problem" into much smaller individual procedural problems. For example, I need to run a single command many times on different objects. This is what we need to accomplish. Quickly break this into: OK I need to gather the objects I'm going to run the command on and then I need to iterate over (or loop over) them so I don't type this command 6000 times. Throw in some error checking. Test it. Get it wrong. Bunch of print outputs to figure out what broke. Test it more. Huzzah it works.

Sure this sounds easy, but it isn't. This is the entire skill of programming. I 100% agree that the best way to learn it is by doing it. You simply have to do it enough times that the smaller step by step (ok do this, then this, then I need this over here) nested within larger problems become easier to sort out. There can definitely be a bit of a grind to get used to the particular kind of thinking needed to instruct a machine to do your bidding, but I'm certain you can get there with some perseverance. Don't force it if you truly hate it, but equally don't give up when it gets tough! There is light at the end of the tunnel.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renegret posted:

lol if your app team ever has time to do anything other than chase some director's ever changing FOTM, being forced to release half finished buggy products with no user input other than the director's best (and wrong) guess on the staff's use cases before being required to change gears before they can go back and fix it.

Isn't this the basic methodology behind Agile™ Software Development?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is amazing. How anybody calls themselves the 'app team' and build something that requires manual input is incredible.

Why not spend the tiny bit of time required to dump HR data programmatically, translate it to the AD schema, and tee off the powershell import? No, let's not reduce user input, let's expand it and be more error prone!

Yeah, the whole point of my automation was to take as much human input out as possible (mostly so we could point at recruiting for loving up names and say, "We just copied what they sent us, so tell them to be more accurate").

I just asked one of the guys from that meeting if they remembered how it even started, and it turned out a manager on the HR side heard in passing that our team was "looking at automating some stuff" and passed that on to the apps team without any context. Turns out they mis-heard, and my boss had been talking about what we ALREADY automated. :psyboom:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
both programming and software development are bullshit

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJP posted:

It sounds like you are exactly where I was before I started mucking about with command line flags and string processing in Python.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Methanar posted:

both programming and software development are bullshit

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good work, McDonalds.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Euro's

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yes I noticed that top shelf grammar too.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

quote:

We accept Euro's

No you don't UK, your immigration is a mess and you just closed the borders. :fuckoff:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Don't go tarring us all with the same brush.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
"Every time I plug in my headphones, my computer turns off."

I sent the minion. (Every time we get a weird one, I send the minion.)

The minion calls me from the user's desk,

"Homeslice, you are not going to believe this. Every time he plugs in his headphones, Windows shuts itself down."

"The devil you say. What happens when he ... unplugs them?"

Pause. "Nothing."

"Okay. Have him plug them back in."

Pause. Longer pause. "It's booting up."

Further experimenting established that a) it only happened to the user, not my minion; b) it only happened when docked and c) it happened with all headphones/headsets tried.

Solution: User is using a Dell USB-C dock, and the (hard-to-see) power button is right above the headphone jack. However he rested his hand as he plugged the headphones in, it pushed down on the button for long enough to signal Windows to shut off.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

sfwarlock posted:

And here I was secretly hoping some shenanigans involving someone wiring the headphone socket to the power on connectors on the mainboard or so-such

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Can AutoHotKey detect headphone plug in events? Asking for an friend enemy.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Ask me about elevators shutting down my server room.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How the hell did an elevator shut down your server room

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sfwarlock posted:

I sent the minion. (Every time we get a weird one, I send the minion.)

The minion calls me from the user's desk,

"Homeslice, you are not going to believe this. Every time he plugs in his headphones, Windows shuts itself down."

"The devil you say. What happens when he ... unplugs them?"

Pause. "Nothing."

"Okay. Have him plug them back in."

Pause. Longer pause. "It's booting up."

Further experimenting established that a) it only happened to the user, not my minion; b) it only happened when docked and c) it happened with all headphones/headsets tried.

Solution: User is using a Dell USB-C dock, and the (hard-to-see) power button is right above the headphone jack. However he rested his hand as he plugged the headphones in, it pushed down on the button for long enough to signal Windows to shut off.

I hate those loving docks so much. That goddamned button will turn poo poo off, but won't wake the machine, only boot it if shut down. And Dell chose to put the largest possible connector on the stiffest possible cable to plug into that tiny USB-C port. We've had two so far manage to break the USB-C port enough so that the dock no longer works - external displays go first, it seems. I'm surprised we haven't had more. I expected immediate failures when those things came out, but it took almost three years for the first one. The Dell tech wasn't surprised at all. Only fix is a system board replacement, of course, because why would you put an easy to break connector on an easy to replace sub-board?
Oh, did I mention that the USB-C cable on the dock is captive, and not like, say, a standard USB-C double-ended cable?
Also, the docks have to be rebooted every so often by removing power when they forget how to use external displays or Ethernet.
Give me back the old "dumb" port extender docks, please.

klosterdev posted:

How the hell did an elevator shut down your server room

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Agrikk posted:

Ask me about elevators shutting down my server room.

Let me guess, the servers were in the bottom of the elevator shaft and a post it note was taped over the bottom floor with "Do Not Press" handwritten on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Breaker for the elevator and server room is one and the same.