Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He's theoretically like a thermodynamic version of Magneto but that only gets explored rarely. Has he had any good what-ifs where they just go nuts with his powers?

One time Emma took control of him and really went wild with his powers in order to stop an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ZZZorcerer posted:

Isn’t his power “has wings and fly”? Like... without plot armor some goons with machine guns would just drop him from air (that is true for a whole lot of heroes though)

He also owns a bazooka.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He's theoretically like a thermodynamic version of Magneto but that only gets explored rarely. Has he had any good what-ifs where they just go nuts with his powers?

There's that Marjorie Liu arc in Astonishing X-Men where he goes world-conquering nuts for a hot minute. I remember he has to be talked down, rather than fought; at one point, he beats Thor clean in a one-on-one.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I remember reading this back in the day, and Emma basically unleashes all of Bobby's potential to give him a glimpse of what he could become.

No idea of issue.

Isn't he functionally Wolverine levels of immortal as well if a piece of him survives?

I wonder what issue that was from. I always thought the "Bobby's potential" thing was started by him fighting Mikhail Rasputin in Uncanny X-Men #292, in this panel, after Mikhail uses his energy manipulating powers to turn Iceman forcefully into a puddle of water.

Next time he ends up using this is in Uncanny X-Men #300, oneshotting some acolyte:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Scott Summers has also never been wrong.
Except when he has been. Which is always.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Toshimo posted:

The television show?

I was sad to see this go so far off the rails, the woman playing Medusa and the FX they did for the hair was really good. Shame about literally everything else though :emo:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Pacra posted:

I wonder what issue that was from. I always thought the "Bobby's potential" thing was started by him fighting Mikhail Rasputin in Uncanny X-Men #292, in this panel, after Mikhail uses his energy manipulating powers to turn Iceman forcefully into a puddle of water.

I know it's the 90s, but :wtc: this art...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

I know it's the 90s, but :wtc: this art...
It's credited to Tom Raney and Rurik Tyler as pencilers and Josef Rubinstein and Al Milgrom as inkers. It's very obviously trying to ape Whilce Portacio's pencils, who was very clearly trying to ape Jim Lee's pencils.

So there you go.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Speaking candidly as someone who never thought Jim Lee was quite all that it looks like a passable imitation.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

InsertPotPun posted:

like EVERY mutant could kill millions before being stopped. if they could be stopped. the only reason comics work is because they have a benevolent creator. in reality we'd all be murdered by the first bulletproof mutant who wanted to before the x-men got out of bed that morning.
there would be less cities that's for sure. the population would scatter. sports would end. in fact most large events would be targets and that's not even including the risk the band themselves don't kill you because it's a trap. an afterlife is cool i guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
thus proving my point: you give a regular person just a little bit of power and they'll abuse it for their own entertainment and no one will say poo poo to them. if this person had superman's power they'd be pulling arms off people for fun. power doesn't make you into anything, it reveals who you are, if you're an rear end in a top hat who will abuse even the tiniest bit of power for their own amusement you're not a good person, you're a bad person who happens to be powerless. sorry to bother the thread

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Flesh Forge posted:

I was sad to see this go so far off the rails, the woman playing Medusa and the FX they did for the hair was really good. Shame about literally everything else though :emo:

And that budget buster, of course, is why they had to shave her head early on. Still, I know you ain't baggin' on Lockjaw. He was about the only reason to sit through that whole show.

I read, though, that the guy who played Black Bolt developed his own sign language to use for the role, so that's pretty neat.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah if Superman was real he'd be real sloppy with the probations, for sure.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Pacra posted:

Next time he ends up using this is in Uncanny X-Men #300, oneshotting some acolyte:

Infinitum posted:

I remember reading this back in the day, and Emma basically unleashes all of Bobby's potential to give him a glimpse of what he could become.

No idea of issue.

Isn't he functionally Wolverine levels of immortal as well if a piece of him survives?

Art aside, I feel that stuff like this are better examples of Iceman being badass. They show growth from being pushed and pressured and his unwillingness to back down. Being on the ropes and taking your licks is badass.

Whereas I can't get behind stuff like seeing Iceman waltz in and tear off a man's arm because his lady friend got fridged as being badass. It's just so overdone that it feels played out even when the gay guy does it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

InsertPotPun posted:

thus proving my point: you give a regular person just a little bit of power and they'll abuse it for their own entertainment and no one will say poo poo to them. if this person had superman's power they'd be pulling arms off people for fun. power doesn't make you into anything, it reveals who you are, if you're an rear end in a top hat who will abuse even the tiniest bit of power for their own amusement you're not a good person, you're a bad person who happens to be powerless. sorry to bother the thread

lol get the gently caress outta here

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Whereas I can't get behind stuff like seeing Iceman waltz in and tear off a man's arm because his lady friend got fridged as being badass. It's just so overdone that it feels played out even when the gay guy does it.

Some characters can be grim and gritty, and some characters just can't. Iceman needs to stay in his lane.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

lmao

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jubilee, drunk on power, that sound her power makes from the 90's cartoon deafening pierced by screams as she mows down anti-mutant demonstrators. "Happy 4th of July" she mutters through a punisher like grimace.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eye Boy could kill you and everyone you love before the cops could even show up

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

InsertPotPun posted:

I probed somebody for saying Roger Rabbit was a bad movie and I thought it was really funny.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Pacra posted:

"Some acolyte"!? Such disrespect for Frenzy!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like that they're trading Womps and Fwommps back and forth.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Roth posted:

I probed somebody for saying Roger Rabbit was a bad movie and I thought it was really funny.

That seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When I am made moderator you will all suffer

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

-Posts a thinly veiled racist screed against a fictional minority, gets probed for it-
"Wow that just proves my point"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

InsertPotPun posted:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Kalli posted:

Jubilee, drunk on power, that sound her power makes from the 90's cartoon deafening pierced by screams as she mows down anti-mutant demonstrators. "Happy 4th of July" she mutters through a punisher like grimace.

I remember some goofball thing from around the time Gen X started up where her powers were supposed to be capable of creating the equivalent of a nuclear fusion bomb and Emma Frost saying she was the most powerful mutant of them all or something like that. I believe she also straight-up was exploding space-ships during the Age of Apocalypse. Jubilee, everybody! Let's give it up for Jubilee.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not gonna lie would very much like to see Jubilee blowing up spaceships with Nuclear Fireworks

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, nah, that ship done sailed. All anyone remembers is her shooting sparks on the Animated Series and that's all anyone will expect her to be able to do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Flesh Forge posted:

When I am made moderator you will all suffer

idgi

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Doom cares not if you dgi

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's Bendis trying to create a history of bad blood between The Hood and Doom so he can crowbar the Hood into one last story before his exclusivity deal with DC kicked in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

I remember some goofball thing from around the time Gen X started up where her powers were supposed to be capable of creating the equivalent of a nuclear fusion bomb and Emma Frost saying she was the most powerful mutant of them all or something like that. I believe she also straight-up was exploding space-ships during the Age of Apocalypse. Jubilee, everybody! Let's give it up for Jubilee.

what's up with the late 90s and writers deciding to have Emma Frost go around telling other X-Men that actually, their powers are world-destroyingly powerful and they're just too stupid or lazy to use them right

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Alaois posted:

what's up with the late 90s and writers deciding to have Emma Frost go around telling other X-Men that actually, their powers are world-destroyingly powerful and they're just too stupid or lazy to use them right

Yeah I don't know, her track record up to that point was, I believe, leading a team featuring the likes of the mighty Beef and then getting all of them killed. I liked her development throughout Gen X for what it was but I feel like any precedent of her being a pedagogical whiz or especially good mutant talent scout was just wishful thinking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

They were both written by Scott Lobdell probably. He wrote the Uncanny issue with Iceman and the first 30 some odd issues of Generation X.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Alaois posted:

"Cipher, you must listen to me. You are not using your full potential, and without it, all of mutantkind will be lost. Let me delve into your mind and remove the psionic blocks placed upon you by Xavier so you may unleash the TRUE power of linguistics upon the only Ultra Omega mutant on the planet and your only rival... Beak."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Skin listen to me. You have so much loving skin. Jesus christ that's a lot of skin. loving hell why is your mutant power just 'extra skin'. That's such a useless loving power, but if you used it correctly you could be an Omega level mutant and cover people with your skin. Christ it just loving creeps me out thinking about it. Urgh... 'skin'"

I always love the mutants that just had loving useless powers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alaois posted:

Yeah, I despise that poo poo. Not only is it insulting to the character's intelligence, it's a completely unnecessary raising of the stakes and just a weird idea of how superpowers work. Iceman's powers have nothing to do with how physics "really work", his powers are he shoots ice beams because it's a loving comic book. Spider-man doesn't have the muscle mass necessary to do any of the poo poo he does, his tissues have no ability to take the beatings he takes, his wall clinging defies all physics, but that's because he's a superhero. His powers are made up fantasy that disregard science other than a passing plausible deniability here and there.

And no one would ever suggest that if he tried really hard he could web swing to the moon.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I despise that poo poo. Not only is it insulting to the character's intelligence, it's a completely unnecessary raising of the stakes and just a weird idea of how superpowers work. Iceman's powers have nothing to do with how physics "really work", his powers are he shoots ice beams because it's a loving comic book. Spider-man doesn't have the muscle mass necessary to do any of the poo poo he does, his tissues have no ability to take the beatings he takes, his wall clinging defies all physics, but that's because he's a superhero. His powers are made up fantasy that disregard science other than a passing plausible deniability here and there.

And no one would ever suggest that if he tried really hard he could web swing to the moon.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure if he tried real hard he could web swing to the moon.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maggot could really gross people out until they all left the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Alaois posted:

Eye Boy could kill you and everyone you love before the cops could even show up

This but canonically.