Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

Of course you fucks like wrestling. All of a sudden your terrible opinions on everything makes so much more sense.

Wow don't strangle us all with the same weight machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Bah Gawd that's Rich Evans' music!

*send in the clowns begins playing*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Arcsquad12 posted:

I prefer Tsunkatse.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

counterfeitsaint posted:

Of course you fucks like wrestling. All of a sudden your terrible opinions on everything makes so much more sense.

Look if you can't appreciate Attitude Era WWF then that's just on you really.
Like how can you watch this and not get a smile on your face: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XJryO74SwY

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

reignofevil posted:

Bah Gawd that's Rich Evans' music!

*send in the clowns begins playing*

entry of the gladiators feels like a rich evans theme song, if only because he'd pick it because of the cool name but welp

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

counterfeitsaint posted:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

you know who else likes wrestling? max landis

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Look if you can't appreciate Attitude Era WWF then that's just on you really.
Like how can you watch this and not get a smile on your face: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XJryO74SwY

"Not the produce section!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

counterfeitsaint posted:

mods?!?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

piratepilates posted:

anyway you only have 5 more weeks to deal with this, and then this season of picard is over, no one really wants to talk about discovery or the other bad looking shows in the pipeline, and we can go back to the good ol days of not caring about star trek because our favourite characters are no longer on it.

I'd like to talk about Discovery!
It's great. In the second season they even highlight that the crew are a B team (Or more likely a C or D+ team), the only reason they're in service is because of the war. If it were peacetime most of the crew wouldn't get a posting for years due to their many, many issues they need to fix. The only good people on board are Culber (probably family tag-along) and Pike (temporary - actually from a good ship). Pretty much everyone else was hand-picked by an evil psychopath for their moral flexibility, susceptibility to manipulation, or cowardice/controllability.

It means they've actually got a lot to work with as far as character arcs/personal improvement stories. Discovery is not the best of humanity, Pike's ship is out there in the galaxy being that.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

More wrestling chat to breakup the Star Trek chat, please.

Benoit was framed.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

mallratcal posted:

More wrestling chat to breakup the Star Trek chat, please.

Benoit was framed.

why not both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUyTcoe0qw

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/1231061637483966465

mike's having a great time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Strong Convections posted:

I'd like to talk about Discovery!
It's great. In the second season they even highlight that the crew are a B team (Or more likely a C or D+ team), the only reason they're in service is because of the war. If it were peacetime most of the crew wouldn't get a posting for years due to their many, many issues they need to fix. The only good people on board are Culber (probably family tag-along) and Pike (temporary - actually from a good ship). Pretty much everyone else was hand-picked by an evil psychopath for their moral flexibility, susceptibility to manipulation, or cowardice/controllability.

It means they've actually got a lot to work with as far as character arcs/personal improvement stories. Discovery is not the best of humanity, Pike's ship is out there in the galaxy being that.

"It's actually bad on purpose"

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

mallratcal posted:

Benoit was framed.

Doing a diving headbutt as your finisher for years could cause concussions and CTE, who knew!?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't make me post the list

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don't make me post the list

post it

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Richard Evans: Undertaker

Mike Stoklasa: Stone Cold

Jay: Chris Benoit

Jessi: Vince McMahon

Jack: Big E Langston

Tiny Canadian: Brett Hart

Big Canadian: Chris Jericho

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Josh: The Shockmaster

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

infernal machines posted:

"It's actually bad on purpose"

Oh no, the things that make it bad are not intentional, but they are entirely separate from the Disco staff not being a quality crew. There's a good show in there if you had some amazing editors (to strip out some of the stupid dialogue if nothing else).
As it is, it's fun and entertaining, and has lots of nice colours and the occasional really good bit.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

fun and entertaining,

TREASON!

unironically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

IT WASN'T MEANT FOR YOU PEOPLE IT WAS MEANT FOR US

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oh no, the things that make it bad are not intentional, but they are entirely separate from the Disco staff not being a quality crew. There's a good show in there if you had some amazing editors (to strip out some of the stupid dialogue if nothing else).
As it is, it's fun and entertaining, and has lots of nice colours and the occasional really good bit.

Now I want to see that premise used elsewhere, like CSI: Cold Case wherein the investigative team is so lovely they fail to solve any of their cases. Or maybe Law and Order: Dismissed with Prejudice

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPX-wuplDvc

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wait, is that THE Rick Berman?

I stabbed and killed someone. It was unintentional I swear. If Trek was a person it's death would be criminal manslaughter due to gross negligence and wilful blindness if not outright murder.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I mighta got something out of 7's killquest if the bad lady had had more than one episode's buildup. I have no problem with 7 vaporising someone if a good story is being told around it. But this one was "remember borg kid, now something shocking, and a last-second-spoiled rescue trope." Give your villains some time to brea

you know what, I realize that though I read a whole bunch, I know very little about storytelling, but this is some unskilled storytelling.

e: the person who said that the backstories would have been interesting if explored was right, but I have a feeling those are mystery boxes that haven't been thought through, and wouldn't have been thought through had they been explored. we're better off with the level of disappointment we already have.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 23, 2020

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
So, I think you were trying to insult me, but that guy is being a patronising jackass. Star Trek has never been high brow or particularly smart - it has a lot of the time been a dumpster fire of stupid plots, sexism, and flying away and never dealing with consequences at the end of the episode.

Now I want to see that premise used elsewhere, like CSI: Cold Case wherein the investigative team is so lovely they fail to solve any of their cases. Or maybe Law and Order: Dismissed with Prejudice
Discovery don't fail though - did you watch the show?
Non-sarcastically I would in fact be interested in such a show - Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes sort of were, and they were great.

oohhboy posted:

I stabbed and killed someone. It was unintentional I swear. If Trek was a person it's death would be criminal manslaughter due to gross negligence and wilful blindness if not outright murder.
What makes up the 'person' of Star Trek to you? And how was it killed by Discovery in a way that wasn't present in the other series'?

You want a shining future? I loved that not once was it worth commenting in the show that a woman had 'X' job.
Rich Evans may love his "they're so far beyond racism Uhura doesn't even know to be insulted" bullshit, but quite frankly I don't want that poo poo in there. There's tons of shows that comment on sexism and racism and religious conflict - I like that there's a show that doesn't even address it, because it's not a thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rich Evans may love his "they're so far beyond racism Uhura doesn't even know to be insulted" bullshit, but quite frankly I don't want that poo poo in there. There's tons of shows that comment on sexism and racism and religious conflict - I like that there's a show that doesn't even address it, because it's not a thing.

Did you intend to have those two sentences right next to each other?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Did you intend to have those two sentences right next to each other?

Yes. Discovery doesn't bring it up.
TOS does - by pointing out that it's a thing, they in fact remind the audience that it's a thing.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of people think 7's kill streak or things like it is "Setup and payoff". gently caress the hell no. It's:

Butcher Icheb
+???
=
Profit.

Not only is it bad, it's lazy. If you knew Trek the writer is forcing you to fill in the ???. If you don't know Trek it's a random excuse to murder some people. If you want to know wtf it's homework time. The whole humanity bit becomes this pseudo morality thing that's only there to sound deep and clever. It's like how STD would quote Alice in wonderland or whatever classic quote showed up on Google feeling lucky. The STP/D titles are like this too. Look at this poo poo from STD:

"The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry"
"Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad"
"What's Past Is Prologue"
"The War Without, The War Within"
"An Obol for Charon"
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
"Context Is for Kings"

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Anybody checked out Hunters on amazon prime? I read a review saying it was misguided and insensitive. I figured the critics must be exaggerating, or were getting bent out of shape just for the sake of being offended. I was wrong. It's every bit as tone-deaf as people say. I only started watching it because I mistook a bearded Al Pacino as Ian McShane in the thumbnail. I'll still probably watch the whole series, though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Looking forward to the hit S3 episode "Why is a Raven Like a Writing Desk"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

So, I think you were trying to insult me, but that guy is being a patronising jackass. Star Trek has never been high brow or particularly smart - it has a lot of the time been a dumpster fire of stupid plots, sexism, and flying away and never dealing with consequences at the end of the episode.

Discovery don't fail though - did you watch the show?
Non-sarcastically I would in fact be interested in such a show - Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes sort of were, and they were great.

What makes up the 'person' of Star Trek to you? And how was it killed by Discovery in a way that wasn't present in the other series'?

You want a shining future? I loved that not once was it worth commenting in the show that a woman had 'X' job.

perhaps a ball was too complicated

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Yes. Discovery doesn't bring it up.
TOS does - by pointing out that it's a thing, they in fact remind the audience that it's a thing.

are you having a stroke?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It literally doesn't matter if this was Star Wars, Star Trek or whatever the hell ruined legacy show. If you were to strip out the idea this was meant to be Trek it's still a god awful show that you would not have otherwise given a drat. The only reason it exists is the Brand.

The next thing you are going to argue is about "Different" and "Look DS9". Yeah, you can be different, but you better be drat loving good first and foremost. Not being able to follow your own continuity inside the same scene is not remotely the level of skill required to pull it off.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

perhaps a ball was too complicated

What a shame. Balls are cool.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Moola posted:

are you having a stroke?

You see, by mentioning that racism existed in the past, TOS acknowledges that racism is a thing in our time. Discovery, being far superior, does not even acknowledge that racism has existed in the past. Please do not mention Picard for any reason.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
TOS mentions racism = uncomfortable feeling :smith:

STD doesn't mention racism = happy goodtime feelings :dance:

Therefore, STD = good :eng101:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Picard has managed to make TNG worse off and somehow make Voyager even worse.

I can't wait for the episode where Sisko returns from the Wormhole and hitches a ride with Picard to see Cassidy and Jake only to find out that Jake has raised his little brother to hate Sisko and murder Garak with a jigsaw trap.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
^^ Yeah, in fact. Mentioning sexism, racism etc particularly in the context of human characters on board the ship in fact reminds me what people think "default" is and points out my 'otherness' so that people who have never been treated as an outsider can feel good that it was mentioned even though they don't have to experience it every day of their lives in almost every show they watch. It's the future, leave it in the past and show (don't tell) that people are treated the same.

oohhboy posted:

It literally doesn't matter if this was Star Wars, Star Trek or whatever the hell ruined legacy show. If you were to strip out the idea this was meant to be Trek it's still a god awful show that you would not have otherwise given a drat. The only reason it exists is the Brand.

The next thing you are going to argue is about "Different" and "Look DS9". Yeah, you can be different, but you better be drat loving good first and foremost. Not being able to follow your own continuity inside the same scene is not remotely the level of skill required to pull it off.
I'm saying subjectively Discovery is great and I like to watch it. With a better editor it very well could be a good show, the sum of it's parts are greater than the whole.
There's a lack of well-financed sci-fi TV shows out there, I think it would have found an audience even without the name - but it's not something that we'll ever know.

I don't think you'd ever find me arguing in favour of DS9.

Is your objection Discovery that it's too different? Is the lack of continuity what has killed Star Trek to you? How is it that Discovery killed it, but the Abrams movies didn't?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I can ignore the Abrams movies pretty easily, Discovery too, but Picard I can't ignore. You can probably guess why and I'm not going to explain it, but I'll also say that none of the above can or have ruined Star Trek for me, just the idea of there being more Star Trek. Making new Star Trek for today's hacks is like C.M. Burns embracing recycling, it just ends up awful no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Anybody checked out Hunters on amazon prime? I read a review saying it was misguided and insensitive. I figured the critics must be exaggerating, or were getting bent out of shape just for the sake of being offended. I was wrong. It's every bit as tone-deaf as people say. I only started watching it because I mistook a bearded Al Pacino as Ian McShane in the thumbnail. I'll still probably watch the whole series, though.

Yeah I've watched the first two eps and man it really has some serious tonal whiplash between grindhouse wannabe tarantino to serious holocaust stuff that is excruciatingly tasteless.

If it was the full on grindhouse I'd be cool with it but as it is, nah.